• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Dictionary

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Perhaps you can help me plan something. I want to create video evidence of a character's IASA frames for his moveset before the patch coming on April 15th. I suspect that end lag for moves is going to get pushed forward and back in many instances after this patch. So my plan is to record footage of the attacks at 60FPS, and hold shield for the move's duration. Thanks to both Smash 4's buffer system, and how shield can be held to activate as soon as possible (rather than requiring a button press within the buffer window like an attack would need) I think I'll be able to calculate IASA frames with accuracy. Can you confirm the validity of my methods? Do you think this footage should include gameplay slowdown from the Training mode setting, or will the 60FPS capture make that unnecessary?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Perhaps you can help me plan something. I want to create video evidence of a character's IASA frames for his moveset before the patch coming on April 15th. I suspect that end lag for moves is going to get pushed forward and back in many instances after this patch. So my plan is to record footage of the attacks at 60FPS, and hold shield for the move's duration. Thanks to both Smash 4's buffer system, and how shield can be held to activate as soon as possible (rather than requiring a button press within the buffer window like an attack would need) I think I'll be able to calculate IASA frames with accuracy. Can you confirm the validity of my methods? Do you think this footage should include gameplay slowdown from the Training mode setting, or will the 60FPS capture make that unnecessary?
Uh, yeah I guess that should work. I don't see why not. I mean you'd have trouble with aerials obviously XD, but sure. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
But then, isn't it possible to have both the updated and the non-updated version by updating onto an SD card?

busken

Smash Ace
That depends on the character, but generally it's pivot grab. And this isn't a Q/A thread...
Does the word 'adapting' have a meaning in smash that is somehow special?
Well, I see smashers say it alot and they don't really define it. It seems important imo.
Sorry for asking a question like that.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I'd like to add a jargon term for Samus:

"Dirty bomb" - Comboing a bomb that pushes you opponent off the ledge into dair. Usually a shield break punish at percents where fsmash isn't strong enough to kill.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Is there any specific term for the property of certain attacks which clank with other hitboxes but then keep going? It's seen in attacks like Palutena's FTilt, Jigglypuff's dash attack, and all of Little Mac's tilts and jab. I've heard the effect described as "continue through clank," "doesn't rebound" (@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer 's preferred term), and "trample" (a term borrowed from Magic).

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Is there any specific term for the property of certain attacks which clank with other hitboxes but then keep going? It's seen in attacks like Palutena's FTilt, Jigglypuff's dash attack, and all of Little Mac's tilts and jab. I've heard the effect described as "continue through clank," "doesn't rebound" (@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer 's preferred term), and "trample" (a term borrowed from Magic).
Yeah I don't know tbh. I personally hadn't read any of those proposed terms before, not that that says much. I'll keep an eye out for them in any case. If at any point you believe a consensus has been reached then be sure to let me know.

If anyone can enlighten me on this further then please do.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I don't think it needs a term.

And wtf is trample LOL that sounds awful
Like I said, Trample was, to the best of my knowledge, taken from Magic: the Gathering, so without context from the game it might not make sense. In Magic, each creature card has power and toughness stats (basically attack and defense). When one attacks the other, the attacker's power is inflicted on the defender's toughness (and vice versa). Normally if you do more than enough damage to kill the opposing creature, any extra damage goes to waste. But creatures with trample can have that extra damage go through and damage the opposing player. You can read more about it here

I guess that some people call this special move attribute trample is because, instead of stopping like moves usually do when they clank, they can keep going and still deal damage (but not all attacks of that sort do). I kind of like it because it's one word instead of two but brevity isn't always best. Doesn't rebound would be my preferred alternative but I think it could confuse some people. I partially was curious about it because I don't know if it existed in previous Smash games.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
The thing you're describing also happens when a move simply out-prioritizes another. So it's a misnomer at the very least.

It was in Melee and maybe 64. It was removed in Brawl for whatever reason.

Satoros0

Smash Rookie
Great reference, I can appreciate how much work went into putting this together (especially the character-specific terms). Will definitely keep this in mind if I see anything new.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Small note on some Pika specific jargon.

QAC: Quick attack cancel, a mechanic similar in effect to, but entirely distinct from QALC. QAC allows for the end lag of QA to be canceled by angling either the first or second angles of QA downward into the stage/platform (any angle that forces pika to become grounded, so slight angles down and bottom diagonals work as well as straight down). QAC only occurs on ground that are considered "moving" or are angled. This mechanic is stage specific (BF and FD are impossible to QAC on, while Dreamland and Lylat (and any moving platform stage, or stage with angled floor like Castle Seige) provide different areas where QAC is possible. IMO this mechanic effects pika's meta more than QALC, and is more than an edge case stage specific gimmic.

QA1 and QA2 are also often used as short hand to distinguish between the 2 different input angles of Quick Attack. Since the 2 parts of the move have different attributes in terms of recovery and combo/set up potential (QA2 often links into utilt or pika's various aerial strings, where as QA1 does nothing much at all w/out a QAC).

Bill cipher3

Smash Cadet
I think you forgot to have stage control.
Edit. Ah thanks now I know what stage control is thanks.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
A few character specifics for :4pacman:

Pellet Heal - the act of intentionally steering the power pellet generated by Pac-Man's side special into an oncoming projectile/hitbox/etc. with the intention of eating it afterwards.

Fruit Gushing - refers to using the water spouted from Pac-Man's fire hydrant to alter his Bonus Fruits' trajectories.

Trampoline - Pac-Man's up special, Pac-Jump

Inky - Pac-Man's up smash

Blinky - Pac-Man's forward smash

Clyde, Pinky - Pac-Man's down smash

On a side note, "Trample" fits perfectly for the whole "doesn't rebound" property. I'd vote for it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The Pit / Dark Pit section is empty, so here's a bit of the nomenclature you might find helpful for the Divine Duo, with some extra notes for Palutena.

:4pit:

BoP / Bow - Bow of Palutena, his neutral-b.

UA / Upperdash - Upperdash Arm, his side-b.

PoF / Flight - Power of Flight, his up-b.

GO / Orbitars / Orbies / Shields - Guardian Orbitars, his down-b.

TST / Treasures - Three Sacred Treasures, his Final Smash. Depending on context, it may also refer to his specials in Brawl, which are based on the Three Sacred Treasures in Kid Icarus.

Arrow(s) - Technically refers to the arrows released in his neutral-b, but often refers to the neutral-b itself.

Fullhop arrows / Jump arrows / Air arrows / Machine gun - A tech wherein Pit fullhops and uses his neutral-b at the top of his jump; if performed correctly, the animation will end before he touches the ground and he will not incur endlag. By using his multiple jumps and fusing his neutral-b with every jump, Pit can use this technique several times in mid-air.

Arrow sniping / Sniping - Gimping the opponent's recovery just using his arrows.

Upperdash Ledge Cancel / Arm Ledge Cancel - A tech wherein Pit uses his side-b and hits the ledge on the move's final active frame; doing so will cancel the move's endlag and enable Pit to immediately input another action.

Hilldashing - A tech wherein Pit uses his side-b in conjunction with a movement option and jump on a slope to dash backwards with great speed. This tech only works on inclined surfaces and the exact input varies depending on the nature of the slope.

Angel Ring - His f-air; the name is taken from his neutral-b in Brawl, which his f-air resembles in animation and effect.

:4darkpit:

Pittoo - A nickname for Dark Pit, taken from Kid Icarus: Uprising. It is a corruption of "Pit Two", since he is a clone of Pit.

Black Pit - Dark Pit's Japanese name.

Burapi / Kuro (Pit) - Dark Pit's Japanese nicknames. Burapi is his nickname in the Japanese version of Uprising (the Japanese equivalent of Pittoo), while Kuro or Kuro Pit is a nickname that fans created for Pit's black palette swape in Brawl and which has since become a nickname for Dark Pit himself.

SB / Bow - Silver Bow, his neutral-b.

Bow of Darkness / BoD - His neutral-b is referred to as Bow of Darkness in some cases because, while the weapon itself is based on the Silver Bow in Kid Icarus: Uprising, it fires arrows that resembles those fired by the Bow of Darkness in the same game.

EA / Electoshock - Electoshock Arm, his side-b.

DPS / Staff - Dark Pit Staff, his Final Smash.

Arrow(s) - Technically refers to the arrows released in his neutral-b, but often refers to the neutral-b itself.

Fullhop arrows / Jump arrows / Air arrows / Machine gun - A tech wherein Dark Pit fullhops and uses his neutral-b at the top of his jump; if performed correctly, the animation will end before he touches the ground and he will not incur endlag. By using his multiple jumps and fusing his neutral-b with every jump, Dark Pit can use this technique several times in mid-air.

Arrow sniping - Gimping the opponent's recovery just using his arrows. This is not as effective for Dark Pit, because he cannot change the direction of his arrows to the extent that Pit can.

Electroshock Ledge Cancel / Arm Ledge Cancel - A tech wherein Pit uses his side-b and hits the ledge on the move's final active frame; doing so will cancel the move's endlag and enable Pit to immediately input another action.

Hilldashing - A tech wherein Pit uses his side-b in conjunction with a movement option and jump on a slope to dash backwards with great speed. This tech only works on inclined surfaces and the exact input varies depending on the nature of the slope.

Angel Ring - His f-air; the name is taken from Pit's neutral-b in Brawl, which Dark Pit's f-air resembles in animation and effect.

:4palutena:

AR - Autoreticle, her neutral-b.

EF - Explosive Flame, her first custom neutral-b.

HL - Heavenly Light, her second custom neutral-b.

AM - Angelic Missile, her first custom neutral-b.

SS - Super Speed, her second custom neutral-b.

JG - Jump Glide, her first custom up-b.

RJ - Rocket Jump, her second custom up-b.

LW - Lightweight, her first custom down-b.

CF - Celestial Fireworks, her second custom down-b.

Shield - Palutena's dash attack or b-throw, depending on context.

Halle-Hoo-Hah - Palutena's d-throw -> u-air combo.

Ledge-Cancel / Warp Cancel - A tech wherein Palutena uses Warp in such a way that it connects with the ledge or the edge of a platform on the final active frame, canceling the move's endlag and enabling her to immediately use another action. It is a variation of the tech that Zelda can use in Brawl and Smash 4 with her up-b, Farore's Wind.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
The Pit / Dark Pit section is empty, so here's a bit of the nomenclature you might find helpful for the Divine Duo, with some extra notes for Palutena.

:4pit:

BoP / Bow - Bow of Palutena, his neutral-b.

UA / Upperdash - Upperdash Arm, his side-b.

TST / Treasures - Three Sacred Treasures, his Final Smash. Depending on context, it may also refer to his specials in Brawl, which are based on the Three Sacred Treasures in Kid Icarus.

Fullhop arrows / Jump arrows / Air arrows / Machine gun - A tech wherein Pit fullhops and uses his neutral-b at the top of his jump; if performed correctly, the animation will end before he touches the ground and he will not incur endlag. By using his multiple jumps and fusing his neutral-b with every jump, Pit can use this technique several times in mid-air.

Arrow sniping / Sniping - Gimping the opponent's recovery just using his arrows.

Upperdash Ledge Cancel / Arm Ledge Cancel - A tech wherein Pit uses his side-b and hits the ledge on the move's final active frame; doing so will cancel the move's endlag and enable Pit to immediately input another action.

Angel Ring - His f-air; the name is taken from his neutral-b in Brawl, which his f-air resembles in animation and effect.

:4darkpit:

Pittoo - A nickname for Dark Pit, taken from Kid Icarus: Uprising. It is a corruption of "Pit Two", since he is a clone of Pit.

Black Pit - Dark Pit's Japanese name.

Burapi / Kuro (Pit) - Dark Pit's Japanese nicknames. Burapi is his nickname in the Japanese version of Uprising (the Japanese equivalent of Pittoo), while Kuro or Kuro Pit is a nickname that fans created for Pit's black palette swape in Brawl and which has since become a nickname for Dark Pit himself.

SB / Bow - Silver Bow, his neutral-b.

Bow of Darkness / BoD - His neutral-b is referred to as Bow of Darkness in some cases because, while the weapon itself is based on the Silver Bow in Kid Icarus: Uprising, it fires arrows that resembles those fired by the Bow of Darkness in the same game.

EA / Electoshock - Electoshock Arm, his side-b.

DPS / Staff - Dark Pit Staff, his Final Smash.

Fullhop arrows / Jump arrows / Air arrows / Machine gun - A tech wherein Dark Pit fullhops and uses his neutral-b at the top of his jump; if performed correctly, the animation will end before he touches the ground and he will not incur endlag. By using his multiple jumps and fusing his neutral-b with every jump, Dark Pit can use this technique several times in mid-air.

Arrow sniping - Gimping the opponent's recovery just using his arrows. This is not as effective for Dark Pit, because he cannot change the direction of his arrows to the extent that Pit can.

Electroshock Ledge Cancel / Arm Ledge Cancel - A tech wherein Pit uses his side-b and hits the ledge on the move's final active frame; doing so will cancel the move's endlag and enable Pit to immediately input another action.

Angel Ring - His f-air; the name is taken from Pit's neutral-b in Brawl, which Dark Pit's f-air resembles in animation and effect.

:4palutena:

AR - Autoreticle, her neutral-b.

EF - Explosive Flame, her first custom neutral-b.

HL - Heavenly Light, her second custom neutral-b.

AM - Angelic Missile, her first custom neutral-b.

SS - Super Speed, her second custom neutral-b.

JG - Jump Glide, her first custom up-b.

RJ - Rocket Jump, her second custom up-b.

LW - Lightweight, her first custom down-b.

CF - Celestial Fireworks, her second custom down-b.

Shield - Palutena's dash attack or b-throw, depending on context.

Halle-Hoo-Hah - Palutena's d-throw -> u-air combo.

Ledge-Cancel / Warp Cancel - A tech wherein Palutena uses Warp in such a way that it connects with the ledge or the edge of a platform on the final active frame, canceling the move's endlag and enabling her to immediately use another action. It is a variation of the tech that Zelda can use in Brawl and Smash 4 with her up-b, Farore's Wind.
For different reasons many of the suggestions have been left out. The rest have been added.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Don't forget Arm or Arms, referring to both Pit and Dark Pit's Fspecials collectively. For example, "The Arms reflect Link's boomerang but not his arrows."

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Can you add LCS, for limit cross slash for cloud? LCS can also stand for one the league of legends tourney series that yaes the same acronym.

This site has multiple advanced techs for shulk; along with their glossary terms that you can add for him.

The techs begins after the "shulk 101" and "footstools" boxes.

http://shulk101.com/tutorials

http://shulk101.com/glossary

Here is a video of "barrier nair" that Shulk Discord made

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DentalLinedKoodoo-poster.jpg

Here is a term you can add for Lucas.

Edit: The P3A Olimar technique has been patched out.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Can you add LCS, for limit cross slash for cloud? LCS can also stand for one the league of legends tourney series that yaes the same acronym.

This site has multiple advanced techs for shulk; along with their glossary terms that you can add for him.

The techs begins after the "shulk 101" and "footstools" boxes.

http://shulk101.com/tutorials

http://shulk101.com/glossary

Here is a video of "barrier nair" that Shulk Discord made

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DentalLinedKoodoo-poster.jpg

Here is a term you can add for Lucas.

Edit: The P3A Olimar technique has been patched out.
Added stuff to Cloud
Added almost everything to Shulk and corrected the current understanding of MABD.
I think the link you provided for the 'barrier nair' is wrong, but I found this in any case https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableOilyLouseGOWSkull I looked around and at this stage I'm not convinced that the term has caught on.
I didn't add the Lucas one. I've always just called that Tether Cancelling in relation to any character with a tether who uses it. I'm also not yet convinced that the term has caught on.
I'm open to persuasion if you want something added or changed. Thanks for the info.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
The Lucas term is commonly used in Smashcords Lucas Discord, and recently I have seen a few Lucas players from the Discoed on Twitter use that name too. The Lucas video also got featured on shoryuken.com in it's own article that helps.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/06/20/sta...-using-lucas-new-snakeskipping-recovery-tech/

I think the term is really only a Lucas Discord thing that only Lucas mains would be aware of.

Sometimes if a character specific tech is seen a lot on stream, talked about in a winner interview, or is talked about by commentators it can catch on in different character communities or in other streams by different players and commentators.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
The Lucas term is commonly used in Smashcords Lucas Discord, and recently I have seen a few Lucas players from the Discoed on Twitter use that name too. The Lucas video also got featured on shoryuken.com in it's own article that helps.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/06/20/sta...-using-lucas-new-snakeskipping-recovery-tech/

I think the term is really only a Lucas Discord thing that only Lucas mains would be aware of.

Sometimes if a character specific tech is seen a lot on stream, talked about in a winner interview, or is talked about by commentators it can catch on in different character communities or in other streams by different players and commentators.
Fair enough.
Done.

Last edited:

superweeniehutjr

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I created a tool to organize all the terminology: www.opendict.io . It's setup like urbandictionary so anyone can define words and vote on them. I've transcribed most of the words from the main forum post, so I have about ~300 so far. I also added tagging so character specific words are more easily browsable & distinguishable. Would really appreciate if you could share it or add it to the pinned post, it's taken a lot of work to set this up and it would really help to have more people adding definitions!

Top Bottom