• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Brothers - Series Discussion

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
If I posted more I'd be posting expletives

Waiting for the full thing for the full review
**** it, holy **** this is great

TANK64

Smash Lord
Marathoned the whole thing. Just phenomenal. Music was great. Obviously I liked episode 3 the best.
Such a service to the community. Just perfect. THANK YOU <3
and by perfect, I mean if it had name tags it would be perfect...
Like, anytime someone is shown talking there should be their name.
If it is even in the realm of possibility to add this in the remastered version I would say you soooooo should. It's SO IMPORTANT.
other than that, it was ****ing amazing. Thank you SOOO MUCH!
Wife was hilarious.

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
Watched the whole thing. Not only was I impressed by the depth of Melee's history, you did a fantastic job of covering it.

I actually wanted to ask questions in terms of production. Where did you learn your production skills and how to manage all this, or how could I go about learning this? I'm a 2nd year film student, and I feel like I'm REALLY missing out because my classes have not taught this up to this point. Any reply would be awesome, thank you for this amazing documentary, I've been dying to see it since January of 2012.

Seetoe

Smash Rookie
Yo Samox and all involved...thanks for making this documentary. Gives a lot of perspective to both old and new players. The game ain't dead by a long shot. New people come by all the time. Cheers.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Isai is and probably always will be my favorite old school player

This documentary pretty much just solidified that

Absolutely amazing production

strawhats

Smash Master
Epicly (if that's a word) done. This was very well edited and the music was great along with the video. I couldn't help but to get feelings.
I have a question though, what was the anime shown in Episode 3? I want to watch it because of the feels it gave me with Asai.
Yu Yu Hakusho...one of the greatest Shounen Anime/Manga you'll ever watch

dvt

Smash Cadet
This is one of the best things I've ever seen. I see you have a knack for audio / visual queues in terms of editing. It was amazingly synced, with each emotion perfectly balanced for story-telling. I was expecting a great documentary in comparison to most "fan-made" documentaries, but this one was just amazing in terms of quality in general. Just know that all of your little syncs, and probably millisecond timings were appreciated and noted. You have great talent and it's always nice to see it being showcased, just so that others know that others exist. keke

edit: And also I will be donating / buying dat dvd bahahahahaagagagas

edit edit: also also wow I haven't posted in years LOL

JPOBS

Smash Hero
amazing. especially the music. I had one big problem with it tho
Why is there so little footage of actual Mango interviews?
Hbox talks during the entire mango segment (the natural). That was dumb imo.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Just wanted to come back to smashboards to thank you for this excellent service to the community.
I was the dude chilling in the background when you were interviewing PP, if you remember that vague interaction. Thank you so much for this samox. It was above and beyond anything I expected.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie – I cringed when the documentary started talking about the Japanese, and Wes said "****" over and over followed up with clips of Godzilla.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Marathoned the whole thing. Just phenomenal. Music was great. Obviously I liked episode 3 the best.
Such a service to the community. Just perfect. THANK YOU <3
and by perfect, I mean if it had name tags it would be perfect...
Like, anytime someone is shown talking there should be their name.
If it is even in the realm of possibility to add this in the remastered version I would say you soooooo should. It's SO IMPORTANT.
other than that, it was ****ing amazing. Thank you SOOO MUCH!
Wife was hilarious.

What if it was their 4 char Melee tag with the boxes replicated above their heads?

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
I know its been said a thousand times already, but the Smash Brothers Documentary was extremely well done. I can't believe a Smash documentary held my attention for 4+ hours. Its pretty sad that so many of the original greats have retired though.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
As some people might have already mentioned, the main thing that could be added would be text indicating who is speaking for like Armada, Lucky, etc...

Maybe with subtext like "Apex 2013 Champion"

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
[quote="Hean, post: 15902084, member: 22174cly (if that's a word) done. This was very well edited and the music was great along with the video. I couldn't help but to get feelings.
I have a question though, what was the anime shown in Episode 3? I want to watch it because of the feels it gave me with Asai.[/quote]
Its called 5 centimeters per second, highly reccomended

this phone, whyI'll edit this later

Scidadle

Smash Champion
When I heard there was gonna be a smash documentary I was like "Oh that'll be cool". I never thought it would be this good. Amazing ****ing job man, incredible work.

xvertigox

Smash Rookie
This is so good. You've done a great service for the smash community and the esports community. I've never followed smash (played a few times with friends aka nothing) and only had a vague idea that it's viable as a competitive game and this series really sold me on it. You captured that feeling you get from playing a really good, deep game so well.

Have you uploaded the videos to anywhere but youtube? I'd really like to have this on my pc in avi/whatever. I could also help out with hosting it if you'd like. I've got a seedbox with a 150mb upstream and 3.5tb of upload a month that I could use.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I am speechless, incredible work, especially considering you were pretty much the only one working on it. I can't wait for the extra content!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i donated a long time ago

im pretty sure i donated enough for the DVD, but i don't remember. will you keep track of that, or am i responsible for claiming mine?

JohnnySOCAL

Smash Rookie
LOVED IT. IT WAS SO AMAZING. INTERVIEW WITH ISAI MADE ME TEAR UP, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. And can you please tell me what the intro music is called for every episode. And where can I find it pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it's so cooool

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I really enjoyed watching the series. I've followed and competed in the scene extensively since the MLG era, and revisiting those days was a blast. The first few episodes were really solid. Following the rise and fall of the early top players was so well explained and entertaining. But I think as the series went on, there seemed to be gaps where it lost focus of that a little bit.

Towards the middle of the KDJ episode and thereafter, I felt like the focus of following each of the "smash brothers" got distracted by other things. About half of the KDJ episode seemed more about the return of Azen and the eventual retirement of Ken, with a small wrap up of KDJs 2nd place finishing at MLG Vegas. The M2K episode was pretty good, but the Brawl footage seemed a bit too "fabricated" and of course even though I completely agree with what the interviewers thought of the game, it just didn't feel like the in game Brawl footage could even match the authenticity of Melee footage you were showing elsewhere. The Mango episode featured lots of good footage from FC, but sometimes I felt like the way it was arranged was also distracting. There was a lot of focus on the "drama" between Mango and Hungrybox, and at times I felt myself wondering when we as a community will move on from Hungrybox simply being the nemesis and antithesis of Mango, which is driven home yet again in the episode. FC's role as a comeback tournament wasn't explained either, which was too bad considering what it meant to have another FC. The final episode was fun and hype of course, but it also kind of neglected to really cover the magnitude of Armada's impact on our community (which I understand might have not been possible), yet he still had plenty of face time to comment on random things. The EVO coverage also seemed to just show that it was a hype event, but didn't really explain what it means for our community to gain the "legitimacy" that many people crave from other competitive communities.

Overall, I had a really fun time watching the documentary, and these are simple observations I made. Nothing like this has ever been brought full circle in our community, and I know there have been many attempts to make a smash documentary. Props to you samox and to your tireless effort in running the show and giving the community a high quality look into the game we all love. I sincerely hope this opens more doors for you as a professional, and I think we all look forward to seeing what else you have in store in the future.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Really cool, brings back some good memories. I wish they would've contacted me for an interview though.

Wow Samox actually manages to get Reciph to reboot the forum account. Hope is going well out there!

I've only watched 2 episodes so far and they are wonderful. And hilarious. Dem hunger johns.

dogg

Smash Rookie
Watched all nine episodes. I followed this from the first pilot which I watched about fifty times. Amazing accomplishment, Samox. You should be extremely proud of yourself. This is the best video game documentary I've seen by far!

Tero.

Smash Champion
What I missed is how Europe and the US were kinda separated until Genesis 1 happened.
At least a little bit of Europe history (Amsah comeback vs Ek and then dominating the scene for a long time until Armada took over) would've been great

Beat!

Smash Master
My main criticism is that episodes 8 and 9 (and to some extent 7) seemed to be a bit rushed. The pacing and structure felt kind of haphazard, especially compared to the first 6, and I feel like there were a lot of things that could've been covered better. For example, I had hoped that the Mango episode would've been more focused on his rise to fame, his struggle against Armada, his sandbag era, and finally his pulling-out-all-stops victory at EVO.

The first 6 episodes were amazing, though. 3 in particular. Overall, I'm very pleased with the final result.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I watched up to 3, then had to go on a vacation for the weekend. The hotel had crappy wifi :( looking forward to the rest when I get back

Ryuker

Smash Lord
After finishing the 1st ep I watched it all in one go, forget or cancelled any appointments I had that day and then went straight into following the big house stream (which was amazing!). It really was something special.

The past two days I've been really struggling with how I should comment on the entire series, while one side of me wanted to praise every single bit of it one side struggled and felt really left out and that's why I feel like I should start out mentioning the only thing I felt was obviously missing.

It's been touched upon by some others in this thread but the comments I read left and right on various fora, social networks and in the big house chat this weekend make me think the severity of it is not fully understood and explained. It's the disclusion of how the euro scene developed and what that means to our community.
Now I'm fully aware of the original premise of the docu. It was to cover the rise of the competitive smash community from a grassroot community to a aspiring e-sport through the unique personalities of the 7 major players of the time with the US scene at it's centre. With practical reasons I understood and could accept. However with the inclusion of the EVO episode this grew a bit too US focussed for my taste and while Armada had a small segment I was surprised how he was really treated as a stepping stone for Mango to reclaim his throne at EVO as if he was always meant to take it. Since an interview with Amsah was in the updates I had expected him to make an appearance and was really surprised when he didn't. As someone who has witnessed the growth of the euro scene from up close almost from it's start with a vast knowledge of it's players and history I felt really left out, especially with the inclusion of Japan. I feel there's a chapter here that's missing and for something that captures the heart of our scene and summarizes it all so elegantly for the outside world this doesn't sit well with me and I suspect many others. I hope your can understand that sentiment though I don't want to take anything away from the amazing development and dedication the US scene has shown the past years.

So my mind has been struggling with the question if there's a practical way we could change this somehow and and do tell this chapter properly even if that means we'll have to start doing our own round of interviews(Though your editing is really something special and I'm really unsure if we can live up to that). I've been stampeding around the room recapping the growth of the euro scene in my head and contemplating writing it all down so we have something to work from. So perhaps. At least it's something I feel we should talk about.

Apart from that I can only give a huge amount of praise. The 1st episode's build up is amazing with the introduction of the two coasts leading up to an introduction of the title sequence that send shivers down my spine. However it was really at the 3rd episode that it hit me how powerful and successful the human angle that you've chosen is and why I think this docu is an interesting insightful watch for anyone interested in competitive videogame culture or videogame culture in general.

There's so many to talk about but another aspect I'm really happy your covered was the impact nintendo's approach to brawl had. Milktea's comments directed towards Nintendo echo the thoughts not just of our scene but probably any hardcore gamer who has felt let down by the shift to casual in the game industry the past years.
I've read some comments on the slight amateurish editing, especially the graphic sequences in between but while I partly agree it didn't bother me one bit. The heart of this scene has always been in it's grassroot roots which wouldn't be the same without it's slight imperfections and humorous approach, something I felt we started losing a bit when MLG got involved. Having watched many of the Punch Crew and Gauntled vids back in the days I really appreciated the humorous bits.

I don't now what else to say honestly. You've captured what this scene has meant to me these past years so incredibly well and I really appreciate how well you've treated it. You could have gone for a docu that's more accessible for a cinema viewing at a docu festival but instead you chose to go for this full series and really zoom in on it, something I'm sure isn't the most financial efficient approach though I hope you'll see some more compensation for it and exposure.
It made being a part of it for over 10 years feel really special and something I'll always treasure even if I've experienced it from a different continent.

Thank you so frigging much!

I have one practical question and that's regarding the lack of exposure I feel it's getting right now. I was honestly really surprised that I didn't see it on Kotaku, Polygon, Rock Paper Shotgun, IGN and Gamespot yet. Since there's a remastered version coming up it might be that your waiting with that before you approach the big sites, it might also be that your taking a break and would like us to do the spreading for you. With the connections that have been made during and after EVO I'd expect some in here able to contact these major blogs and sites and I really think the documentary is worth sharing for them and deserves a way larger view count than it has now. Big forces in the community should really be pushing this! For those unaware a famous indie developer and former classmate of mine Rami Ismail of Vlambeer made Presskit(available for free) which is really useful for these kind of press releases and I highly recommend you to make use of it.

I'l leave it at that. Thanks for your amazing effort Samox and I wish you the best of luck in future endeavours!

Top Bottom