• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Smash Brothers" Series: Calling All Collaborators

samox

Smash Journeyman
Hello Fellow Smashers,

I come to you with something very special to me. And I want to share it with you.

First, watch this video: The Pilot

We are producing this series with the help of as many smashers who are interested in seeing it come to life.
Starting Sept. 1st, my Kickstarter and Paypal campaign will commence - attempting to raise $14,135 in 8 weeks to fund the whole shebang.

We already have support from a bunch of melee titans. If you are on board, I'd love to add your name in the final credits by contributing ANYTHING to this series.

I'm very passionate about seeing a final product that leaves people aching to bring back melee in a big way.

Send donations via Paypal to thesmashbrosmovie@gmail.com

Tell me what you think.

Travis
East Point Pictures

EDIT: After a few complaints and an investigation myself - it does appear Kickstarter is a ***** to donate to (plus both Kickstarter and Amazon take what amounts to a 10% cut). I'm amending the video and this post for you to DONATE DIRECTLY TO US VIA PAYPAL. This not only cuts out the middlemen but also enables us to start shooting a lot sooner. Thanks for your input guys!!!

UPDATE: To make things easier for everyone, you can now donate through BOTH. Kickstarter will fund our Production while Paypal will go to Post Production. Really, whatever is easiest for you. Sorry for any confusion.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
DEFINITELY down to donate time and money to this! Great project we have here in my opinion. =)

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
**** yes
as long as you don't include anything Brawl ever, I'll support this. <3

Pi

Smash Hero
i'm always down to throw money at melee related **** lol

i'll donate like 5-10$ every time yall make some significant progress w/ this thing then

Dimitris

Smash Ace
You guys seems well organized. Really hope you pull it off.

But about donating: your youtube pilot mentions a different paypal email compared to your website. Both work?

+ If you don't raise the budget, will there be refunds for the donations?

Surprise event? :?:

samox

Smash Journeyman
@ Dimitris: You're absolutely right. I fixed the website's email address for paypal donations. The correct address is and always will be thesmashbrosmovie@gmail.com. Thank you a billion for that catch (clearly a side effect of staying up til 5am).

On the subject of donation returns: Since I'm no longer beholden to Kickstarter's all-or-nothing policy, it is true I am collecting funds in a continuous manner - something they stress can be abused.

I am hyper aware of keeping my word to you guys and as such, I want to make this point clear: This series IS GETTING ****ING MADE. I don't care if I have to go into severe credit card debt to make it happen, IT WILL HAPPEN AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUS. This fundraising is explicitly to prevent my slide into madness and poverty in the birthing process.

The equation, however, is pretty simple: Don't donate and get a semi-cool series. It seems to hang together... mostly. But it frays at the edges. It's clearly made by some "youtuber". It's not that professional, despite the effort. Maybe someday, someone will come along and make a better series.

OR... You all donate and get what you pay for. A serious, professional looking (and I mean DOWN TO A T) series; every cut tight, every word of the interview fascinating. Every second you watch, you get more into it. You can't WAIT to watch the next episode... it's like some addictive anime.

THAT'S the series I want. THAT'S the series you want. It's the series that we're destined to have as a community.

That's why you, Dimitris, and you (every other smasher who looks as this) should want to at least chip in a little. Even a small contribution will ease the pressure that much more. I'll be that much more free to do the stuff that will REALLY make you guys jump. The stuff that will inspire a Renaissance of Melee.

Again, thank you to anyone who jumps on this bandwagon. You won't be disappointed if you do.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks for the answers. I've donated a bit. Don't waste it on hookers or stuff.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Looks interesting.

Maybe when I come across some money, I can help.

But keep us updated. Please.

:)

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely donate. Melee needs something like this.

The pilot wasn't that professional looking, but the effort put into it was definitely inspiring. I think you guys will do a bang up job with the money.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
that was absolutely incredible. it was like a video representation of chillin's thread.

if i werent in college right now i'd give you $100 or something. eventually i'm gona find a way to squeeze in something for you guys because i was really impressed by that pilot

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
lol thank god for chillins blog.. thats the only way I knew what they were talking about lol

and looks good.. but the actors were pretty annoying and... erm i don't know... out there.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Thank you!!! Nostalgia city over here. I'd love to donate when it gets a little further ahead. If I can help with anything, let me know.

Lol @ people not knowing the entirety of smash history. Get on it!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
as someone who entered the scene in 09 and with NC not exactly having the strongest historical players, i really like the idea of something like this. i thoroughly enjoyed watching this first episode, and look forward to stronger production.

i very well may donate in the near future.

Massive

Smash Champion
This is pretty awesome.
You should post this around more places on the internet, get some better exposure (Reddit may be a good choice).

I've seen a number of smash documentaries proposed, and there is a surprising abundance of footage available. If this is to be an 8 part series what are the other 8 parts going to have in them?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
that documentary seems more current..... as in less historically founded. this documentary is more about the history of everything (2004 tourney featured in the first episode) and additionally is less focused on WC and more focused on the entirety of Melee history.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Loved all the file footage. That's the kind of stuff that still exists but is never seen anymore. I'm really excited for the MLG episode.

samox

Smash Journeyman
UPDATE 1: Bloodshot
Current Paypal Balance: $90.19

First day and totally blown away by your reactions! You guys are great.

The fundraising was a little tricky at first. Kickstarter requires more click-thrus from donors than I had anticipated. I didn't want you to jump through so many hoops just to get me a few bucks.

It pissed me off so much I shut it down and said "To hell with these jokers, I'm going Paypal all the way!" (I was crotchety... 5am). I may have overreacted. I've since decided to leave it up to you.

You can donate EITHER by Paypal or Kickstarter. Both appear to take comparable percentages. Both offer certain advantages: Paypal donations enable me to plan faster - the transfer is instant. Kickstarter is more "Public Friendly" (KishPrime suggested I keep an eye on expanding into the larger gaming public soon). Really, I'm stoked any way you decide to slice it.

In interview news, we've got some of our protagonists on board. Azen, Chillin, Mild and Ken are all gung-ho to be a part of this.

KishPrime also had a BRILLIANT idea: When we travel to a state for interviews, why not hold a tourney to bring all the locals together in one spot? It will enable us to get WAY more interviews and will save money for other pressing production needs!

Getting the word out now is key. I'm taking any and all suggestions for sites to post to (I posted to reddit just now; we'll see how that goes).

In response to Massive: This pilot I made isn't actually part of the series. I just made it to show you all what we could do with no money whatsoever. With the REAL smashers telling their tales this will look silly and out of place by comparison (as most pilots should when compared to their subsequent shows).

The episodes follow roughly chronologically from smash's release in 1999 through Genesis (with a wrap up of where things are now). Each episode treats one of the 7 as its main protagonist, bringing the events into focus through their eyes. Here is a list of the episode's names with their respective Smasher:

1. Show Me Your Moves - (overview)
2. Don't Get Hit - (Isai)
3. No Johns - (Azen)
4. The King of Smash (Ken)
5. The PC Chris Revolution (dur... Kage?)
6. Paper Cuts (Korean DJ)
7. Frame by Frame (M2K)
8. Ahh, **** (Mango)

I'll stress again that this doesn't mean we'll miss out on Armada or Amsah or Dr. Peepee or any of these incredible talents. It's just that we'll have a focal point to organize them all around.

Trust me guys. It'll be WAY more engaging that way.

Production Action Item: Want to be in the credits for your skills? Show me your best promotional image for this series and BAM - Graphic Artist......... Your Name Here.

More updates to come!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you come to NC we'll get a tourney going for you absolutely. =)

Edit: We're also toying with the idea of hosting a fundraiser tournament for this thing. Other states could possibly put this idea to better use than us.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
We should really go all out with this thing. Like, maybe see if we can get it embedded on Smashboard's front page, even try to get some influence on SRK and MLG. Next time I get money on my account, I'm going to donate.

samox

Smash Journeyman
Awww SICK Peepee. That would RULE! I would of course come and thank the living bejeebus out of you. Maybe play a few rounds :)

I would totally match rewards at such a fundraiser tourney to the Kickstarter rewards (DVDs, super special premier passes, etc).

And Wizzrobe: Even though I would drink a glass of rotten milk for that cash... save (most of) it for the ridiculously overpriced paperweights. :)

Hmmm... I wonder if more people would come if we advertised a limit (say, 1000 dollars) where if we reached it, I'd eat something crazy. Cause I'm not above whoring myself to get this thing looking A Plus Pro #1.

samox

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: MuraRengan - that would make my year.

EDIT: Yeahhhhhh. That edit missed. :)

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
EDIT: MuraRengan - that would make my year.

EDIT: Yeahhhhhh. That edit missed. :)
It could probably happen. This thread is going to blow up very quickly, this will definitely get a ton of attention. Even with just the first episode it's already looking to be the most important smash video ever. I can definitely see it happening.

But yeah, I just donated the measly $7 I have lol. I'll donate again in the future.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Very professional, I liked the pilot a lot. The acting was good too, but it will be interesting to see the difference between actors and actual smashers. I'll probably donate next paycheck.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ooohh, I really liked to the first episode, I will donate as soon as I can. It seems like there will be much glory to be told! It makes me jealous I didn't exist back in the day. lol.

But what was that about the PC revolution? Dur.. Kage? I'm confused.

Top Bottom