• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
What's the difference between a low level player and a mid level player? Also, how do you know which level you're on?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Hi Everyone, I was wondering how to perform alot some out of shield options like tilts and smash attacks ect. ect. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

CGod

Smash Cadet
When youre practicing jab locks on training mode and the cpu just lies there or immediately gets up does that mean youre doing it wrong?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
If the CPU stays lying down instead of being forced to get up after the hit, you're doing it too late. You need to hit while they're still in the "bouncing off the ground" animation to lock.

Lamuh

Smash Rookie
Last night I went to my first tournament. While im a little salty about a few things, I mostly just want to learn. So, here are my questions:

1. If i win a match and the person who lost changes their character, am I allowed to change mine? Because the guy running it was my opponent and when he counter picked my character he went straight to stage selection. It being my first time, i didnt question it even though it was a terrible MU for me. That sent me to losers.

2. This question is more about characters and playstyles. I made it to losers semifinals which is where I ended up losing. I was on ike (my main) against. While i normally wouldnt mind that, i couldnt beat his playstyle. He would sit at the edge spamming projectiles until i was somewhat close. Then he would either shield and grab or spot dodge spam and grab. After doing a combo out of throw, he would just go back to the edge and continue with the shield/dodge grab.

While I dont like that playstyle, its perfectly valid and I'm not going to hate on him for doing it. That being said, idk how to beat that as Ike. His approach is too slow. So, how do i beat that playstyle as Ike? What should I be looking to do? What characters should I look at as secondaries to cover vs that playstyle?

Mr Puddles

Smash Rookie
NNID
Empulsion777
Last night I went to my first tournament. While im a little salty about a few things, I mostly just want to learn. So, here are my questions:

1. If i win a match and the person who lost changes their character, am I allowed to change mine? Because the guy running it was my opponent and when he counter picked my character he went straight to stage selection. It being my first time, i didnt question it even though it was a terrible MU for me. That sent me to losers.

2. This question is more about characters and playstyles. I made it to losers semifinals which is where I ended up losing. I was on ike (my main) against. While i normally wouldnt mind that, i couldnt beat his playstyle. He would sit at the edge spamming projectiles until i was somewhat close. Then he would either shield and grab or spot dodge spam and grab. After doing a combo out of throw, he would just go back to the edge and continue with the shield/dodge grab.

While I dont like that playstyle, its perfectly valid and I'm not going to hate on him for doing it. That being said, idk how to beat that as Ike. His approach is too slow. So, how do i beat that playstyle as Ike? What should I be looking to do? What characters should I look at as secondaries to cover vs that playstyle?
As winner of a match you have the right to change your character first as well as ban one stage. The loser chooses second as well as picks the next stage. This is because it gives the loser a slight advantage for a comeback. We used Evo rules, I only joined one tournament myself so far as well.

I would suggest baiting them out. If they are chilling at the edge of the stage they are really limiting what options they have. Ike doesn't have any projectiles, but you can wall him out or go for grabs. Mix it up with dash attacks if he starts catching on. Plus being at the edge of a stage it's very easy to get him off and keep him there. He is scared, use that to your advantage. Better said then done though I know, I was really nervous myself when it's a tourney match, but you relax and take it slow. Do what you have been practising up to that point. Smash is basically a mind game, get into his head, make him attack then punish.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
If a move clanks, does it still stale? For instance, if two projectiles cancel each other out, do they still stale?

Last edited:

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
Regarding Tap Jump on or Off.

Does anyone know how to reliably avoid using your 2nd Jump when performing an Up B in the air?

This is the one big issue I have with Tap Jump on. I can't save my 2nd Jump when I want to perform an Up B in the air.

It is the one thing that holds me back from using Tap Jump On.

I love the benefits of Tap Jump on when Double Sticking but the Activation point on the Analog stick to perform an Up B is way too close to the point where Jump gets activated.

I don't understand why they couldn't just set it to the same point where Up Tilt is activated instead of putting it in between Up Tilt and Jump.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Currently I have the L Trigger as Jump to perform double sticking but the damn Analog triggers are so mushy its annoying inconsistent.

Lynxknight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lynxknight
Hey, everyone! So I have played smash 4 since it came out, but one thing I never understood is how do top players move their character without causing their character to slide? I know that shieldiny is one way to avoid this, but can be unsafe if read, or also jumping. Are there any other methods to avoid my character from sliding?

Trexfan9

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm wanting to buy the DLC characters for the 3DS and Wii U and I got a question
At this point I don't have a wii U but I plan to acquire one in the future, so I am going to buy the bundle for the 3DS and Wii U,
Will the codes I get for the Wii U expire?

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey, everyone! So I have played smash 4 since it came out, but one thing I never understood is how do top players move their character without causing their character to slide? I know that shieldiny is one way to avoid this, but can be unsafe if read, or also jumping. Are there any other methods to avoid my character from sliding?
Do you mean after the run ends or when you turn around? You can shield during a run to stop momentum. Jumping as well. But the best way to simply not slide is to utilize walking instead of running/dashing. Walking also allows you to have a lot of your attack options open.

Nah

Smash Champion
I know that when you set the damage in training mode via the menu you do not get any rage with it. If you were to manually accumulate that damage via slapping the characters around, would you get rage then or is there no rage in training mode, period?

homiedixon

Smash Rookie
Im not sure whether or not people know about this, but I was recently just playing around on the edge and found that some characters can perform an immediate b-air if you quickly run off the stage and perform a b-air (I couldnt get it to work with the C stick, only by manual inputs with the Control stick). You have to be facing away from the ledge, but right next to it as well. Rolling there is the easiest way to do that.

Also, if you are facing towards the ledge (and sometimes when you aren't facing it) and do this the game will force your character to "jump" back onto the stage. It doesnt actually use your jump, but it flings you backwards.

While I've been able to do the second one with every character I've tested on multiple different types of stages (found it on Omega Midgar, then tested FD, Omega Battlefield and regular Duck Hunt), the instant b-air just doesn't work for everyone. Maybe Im just bad at it, but I tried many dozens of times.

I've only tested a handful of characters just in case this is common knowledge already, no sense in me testing everyone to find out something thats already understood. If thats the case, could somebody tell me whats really going on here?

Characters that can::4mario:,:4luigi:,:4peach:,:4pikachu:

Characters that (probably) can't::4bowser:,:4fox:,:4kirby:,:4yoshi:

Last edited:

AJK

Smash Rookie
NNID
ajkcool
3DS FC
1134-9353-4501
So, I've recently been modding Smash 4 scripts (mostly for grinding customs lol) and i noticed there were two parts to the throw. The normal bkb/kbg/damage/etc, and another one with a 361 degree angle and so i was wondering, what does the 361 degree one do?

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
Which modpacks are available for EU users? I really don't want to risk bricking my Wii U so I'm sticking with the drag and drop method.

John Pennington

Smash Rookie
I mained diddy and ICs in brawl which is the game I played much more than most others. Picked up ICs when I realized how scary their upside was.

Getting back into smash now and I really enjoy playing as Rosaluma. Do people think they're worth putting a lot of time and effort into or is the consensus that they've peaked? I have diddy to fall back on and some Pikachu experience but almost nothing with any other characters...

Ælude

Smash Cadet
Had an unsuccessful attempt at moddibg smash 4 for some character and stage textures and then came across a tidbit that a new firmware is blocking the ability to do so but everything I try and google is out of date. Is there an exploit for 5.5.1 yet?

1ne Up

Smash Rookie
NNID
1ne_Up
This is a general question about Labbing.
What should I do when I lab. Also what am i looking for in labbing?
What %s make X confirm into Y?
Kill ranges on moves?
I really wanna begin 'The Grind' and push myself to be a competitive player and I think this is a step in the right direction.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I've been playing Smash 4 and Brawl for about 4 years.
I'm starting to think I've hit a plateau. I can't get any better with my character. My hands just don't feel nimble. I lose every time to strategies I read, and I can't even pick a main. I used to play so well, and now I can't even do that. Even when I win, I simply just sucked less than my opponent.

Ælude

Smash Cadet
1ne Up 1ne Up
Its character specefic and I feel less important in sm4sh than other smash games but your trying to build muscle memory on techniques so you don't flub them in a match. Doing something in training mode is very different from doing it in a match setting so it can still be necessary to "lab" something even if you can do it 10/10 in training mode. I don't know jack about cloud as I don't even have him downloaded but heres a list of ideas if they apply to him. If its some sort of string or combo you wish to practice you should experiment vs different weights and fallspeeds.

- perfect pivots
- foxtrotting
- foxtrot dancing
- jab locks and setups
- footstool combos and setups
- true combos
- any other general or character specific tech you wish to apply to your gameplay
- ****ed something up in a match? Practice that.
- you should also have a good idea from which locations on different maps when your kill moves will kill.

Ralugi Ralugi
Confused as you say "i cant get any better with MY character" then proceed to say you can't pick a main. Step 1: stick to a main obviously. Then maybe take your own advice from the other thread you replied to where someone literally asked the same question already.

Figured i'd try and restore some balance to this supposedly q&a thread as it appears to be all "q" and no "a".

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
1ne Up 1ne Up
Its character specefic and I feel less important in sm4sh than other smash games but your trying to build muscle memory on techniques so you don't flub them in a match. Doing something in training mode is very different from doing it in a match setting so it can still be necessary to "lab" something even if you can do it 10/10 in training mode. I don't know jack about cloud as I don't even have him downloaded but heres a list of ideas if they apply to him. If its some sort of string or combo you wish to practice you should experiment vs different weights and fallspeeds.

- perfect pivots
- foxtrotting
- foxtrot dancing
- jab locks and setups
- footstool combos and setups
- true combos
- any other general or character specific tech you wish to apply to your gameplay
- ****ed something up in a match? Practice that.
- you should also have a good idea from which locations on different maps when your kill moves will kill.

Ralugi Ralugi
Confused as you say "i cant get any better with MY character" then proceed to say you can't pick a main. Step 1: stick to a main obviously. Then maybe take your own advice from the other thread you replied to where someone literally asked the same question already.

Figured i'd try and restore some balance to this supposedly q&a thread as it appears to be all "q" and no "a".
That's weird. I must've just been listing nonsense. Disregard that comment.

TheMuffinMan365

Smash Rookie
NNID
themuffinman365
3DS FC
1994-1796-9097
Could the c stick for 3ds be used like a gamecube controller?

NNID
MemeExpert
3DS FC
5301-3363-2578
hey noob here. I play on the 3ds so it is near impossible to do tilts. is mario's down smash a good substitute for his side tilt attack? Furthermore, do you think it is possible to win in tournaments without mastery of tilt/smash attacks?

Nah

Smash Champion
hey noob here. I play on the 3ds so it is near impossible to do tilts. is mario's down smash a good substitute for his side tilt attack? Furthermore, do you think it is possible to win in tournaments without mastery of tilt/smash attacks?
Dsmash isn't really a good substitute for Ftilt (it's not necessarily a bad move, it just doesn't work as a replacement), and not being able to use any of the basic actions will greatly hinder you in tournament.

....almost all tournies afaik are Wii U anyway, and while some might let you use your 3DS as a controller, you'd probably want to get a better controller anyway

Last edited:

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Does anyone have a guide for 3DS modding? I want to get into modding my Smash 3DS game (only textures and aesthetics, nothing that changes the actuay gameplay). Things like character skins, character select screen, and stage appearances are really the only thing I'm looking to do. So can anyone who is experienced with modding help me out?

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Yes, actually. Though the crouching isn’t quite as effective for certain characters. Really depends on what part of the hurtbox connects.

I've seen Jiggs crouch against a ZSS and survive to nearly 170%

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
My own question is for Marth mains. How often should you use Nair? I use it more than Fair personally

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
My own question is for Marth mains. How often should you use Nair? I use it more than Fair personally
If you want an answer from Marth mains, i'd recommend going to the Marth forum and ask there.

But while i don't play Marth, I can still help ya out. Marth's nair has 12 frames of landing lag, while fair has 16. they're both low, but nair has less, so it's most likely a better option if you're about to land (while spacing). I've also seen Marth players use fast fall nair so that only the first hit of nair hits. It's good for combo starting

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I have created a :4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun: each as small and light as possible. I've noticed their traction is reduced. Does anyone know the exact traction values for tiny light :4miif:? I checked Smashwiki but they only show traction values for default size.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Since the Pika boards are dead as all get out, I want to know, is it possible to SDI out of Pika's dsmash? If so, how? If not, what is a good punish that doesn't result in having to keep a healthy shield when he's in your face?

friendlyone20

Smash Rookie
Okay something keeps happening in my game that's confusing me.

Lately I've just been playing the Solo team stock battles with the CPUs which I'm actually having a lot of fun with. But something keeps happening that's confusing me and to be honest, it's getting rather annoying, and it's kind of proving my point when I say this game cheats.

I usually do 15 stock and every time me or my teammate take out one of the opponents and they run out of stock, they (my opponents) come back one last time, even though they ran out of lives and the announcer announced they were defeated but they come back with a life magically restored.

Is this a glitch?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
When you run out of stocks in a team battle, you can take a stock from your partner by pressing A+B, if they have two or more remaining.

friendlyone20

Smash Rookie
You can? Well now I feel like a silly for saying this game cheats. Wish I'd known that before.

Thank you for answering. :)

Wait, is there a option to turn this off? I don't like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom