• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Grandpa Knowledge

Smash Rookie
Get the gyro. Gyro is everything to a Rob player, if you can get it from them you've just gained their best tool to use for yourself.

He's also very vulnerable in the air due to his poor options for escaping juggles, so try and keep him there as long as you can.
Thanks. another question, how's Roy vs. R.O.B matchup?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Thanks. another question, how's Roy vs. R.O.B matchup?
Roy vs ROB.....hm. couldn't really say off the top of my head, but check out the matchup boards for either character and there might be something for you.

You can also ask around their respective Q&A threads if you're worried about something having changed in the recent patches.

Last edited:

Grandpa Knowledge

Smash Rookie
Roy vs ROB.....hm. couldn't really say off the top of my head, but check out the matchup boards for either character and there might be something for you.

You can also ask around their respective Q&A threads if you're worried about something having changed in the recent patches.
Thanks anyway c
:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Its good to use them only when necessary, if you roll around your opponent to much then they will read you, if you dodge to much, they can also read you.
I figured as much. The thing is that, since I've been trying to use less of rolls and dodges, and more shield and 'running', while seeing that spam of the two first mentioned is a thing.
Well, I guess I'm in the safe in that regard considering that I do not use them as often and if I do, is only when necessary. Because otherwise, when I try to not use them, and TRY, HINT HERE: TRY to use tactics of Melee into SM4SH, it mostly ends in disaster. :facepalm:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Smash 4 and Melee are polar opposites in a lot of ways, even moreso than Melee and Brawl imo. Anyone who's thinking of going from one to the other has to keep in mind that a lot of what you've learned in one game may directly contradict what works in the other.

Skyflyer_R

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone! To begin with I must say sorry for my English as Im Spanish and Im trying to write as good as I can. Secondly I want to say that I haven't really been into the forum so I hope this post isn't in the wrong place. If so Im really sorry ^^U

I need some help with my gamecube controller. The point is that two days ago I bought the official gamecube controller adapter to play Smash Bros 4 in my Wii U with my GC controller. The point is that I've got a controller which is not the official one, it's the Gameware Controller, which has three buttons in the middle of it, one of them called turbo. This is not an official controller, however I never had any problem when playing with it in my Wii, in some Virtual Console games as in SSBB. However when I connect it to the adapter which has been previously connected to the wii u the game doesn't recognize it. In addition the controller has a led bulb in its middle, which if the controller it's connected and I press the turbo button it turns on, but only when I press this button and just at the same time. However if I keep on pressing it and then press the A button then the light stays. This just means that the electricity reaches the controller, as it continues without working. My question is the following, does someone has this same controller and has made it work with the adapter? Or do you have any non-official controller and made it work with the adapter? Or maybe I just can use the adapter with an official controller? Obviously an official one will work, but as I already have this one I would prefer not to buy a new one. Thank you for your time reading me! :p

Last edited:

JS.

Smash Cadet
NNID
JulianJJS
3DS FC
2337-5516-6874
Sorry in advance if this has been answered but, how can I train? I've watched pros, played for glory, played against actually okay people, but I still don't think I'm using all my potential. If any of you could give me advice on how you train It would be very much appreciated!

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Smash 4 and Melee are polar opposites in a lot of ways, even moreso than Melee and Brawl imo. Anyone who's thinking of going from one to the other has to keep in mind that a lot of what you've learned in one game may directly contradict what works in the other.
Fair enough. Thanks for the info though. :)

Raijinken

Smash Master
It takes less electricity to turn on the lights than to run the controller, most of the time. It's possible that it just isn't drawing enough from the adapter. If you haven't already, make sure you have both of the adapter's cords plugged into the Wii U, as one of them basically draws extra power.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Sorry in advance if this has been answered but, how can I train? I've watched pros, played for glory, played against actually okay people, but I still don't think I'm using all my potential. If any of you could give me advice on how you train It would be very much appreciated!
Find someone that plays as much as you do, and invite them over alot, play with them a lot, a couple hours a day is always good, you can save matches, and re-watch them to see where you messed up. This is the best way.

For Glory isn't that good, but its ok to build up the initial skill.

Also don't be afraid of training mode, use it to get better at your BnB, And other combos you may have, practice on getting frame perfect combos. (I have trouble with this part because i have no patience)

Skyflyer_R

Smash Rookie
Yeah I have both of them perfectly connected but there's no way to make it work and I don't know what to do :(

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yeah I have both of them perfectly connected but there's no way to make it work and I don't know what to do :(
Having checked some Nintendo articles, they claim the adapter will only work with first-party or Wavebird controllers. While this could easily be them just trying to promote their own hardware regardless of functionality, it's possible that there's some sort of internal signal check or a very precise power measure to keep others from working properly.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
^ Also, learning at WHAT point and HOW MUCH damage it takes to take on your rival/enemy/opponent can go a long way in any match.

It can work wonders if you know what you're doing with your attacks.

RsRyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stagio
Hey everyone, I need some help. I really suck at dodging and blocking what are some good ways to get better? (sorry for a dumb question aha)

Fuzzio

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3995-6678-6272
Hey everyone, I need some help. I really suck at dodging and blocking what are some good ways to get better? (sorry for a dumb question aha)
For airdodges, don't just spam them when you're in the air. Watch your opponent and wait until it looks like they are going to go in for an attack.
For spot dodges, try having someone do grabs or smash attacks and try learning the timing.
For shielding, try using your shield as a parry. Bring it up for as little time as possible to block a move and then attack. When holding it for longer when you are facing an aggressive set of attacks, mix up your out of shield option between jump, grab, and drop.

Also, "rolling is bad" is a good way to think about rolling. Not because it is always bad, but because most people roll by default and it usually is not the best option.

RsRyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stagio
For airdodges, don't just spam them when you're in the air. Watch your opponent and wait until it looks like they are going to go in for an attack.
For spot dodges, try having someone do grabs or smash attacks and try learning the timing.
For shielding, try using your shield as a parry. Bring it up for as little time as possible to block a move and then attack. When holding it for longer when you are facing an aggressive set of attacks, mix up your out of shield option between jump, grab, and drop.

Also, "rolling is bad" is a good way to think about rolling. Not because it is always bad, but because most people roll by default and it usually is not the best option.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind when I play from now on. :)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My advice for dodging can be denoted by a simple quote:

"Don't roll less, roll more cleverly."

In terms of blocking, don't keep your shield up and hope the opponent doesn't notice: it weakens your shield and makes you very easy to punish.

Try playing a stamina match with the timer on against a CPU, with the aim being to see how much you can evade or block damage by the time the clock runs out. Don't fight back, just try to keep your stamina as high as you can. Keep doing it until you can survive the entire duration. Increase the timer and decreasing stamina if you so desire. If you have a training partner, do it with them and see if you can hone your skills together!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
New to wiiu, dont really now what the legal stages are. Pls help :)
  • BF/Miiverse
  • FD/Omega Paluenta's Temple, Omega Stages
  • Smashville
  • T&C
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Dreamland
  • Halberd
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Wuhu Island
  • Skyloft

Most of this is ruleset dependent and decided at the discretion of the TO.
Things to note:
  • When someone bans Battlefield, Miiverse is also banned because of the similarities between the two stages. The same applies to Final Destination, Omega Palutena's Temple and Omega Stages.
  • The latter 3 (Delfino, Wuhu and Skyloft) are still under debate as to whether they are viable stages, so its still good to play on those in case you play on them in tournament.

Last edited:

Supersteve45

Smash Rookie
I've been playing the game for a while now, from the 3DS launch and afterwards, and I just can't break the habit of rolling. When I fight a really good player who knows what they're doing, in my head I get scared and I end up rolling out of a habit and I know that it's just making things worse, but I can't seem to break the habit of doing it.

I was told that I'd eventually stop by being punished enough for it, but even after being punished match after match the habit's still there. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it?
If you find yourself rolling when your opponent is approaching then maybe try to work on your spacing and pressuring moves so that it will make it harder for your opponent to put you in a position that makes you feel like you have to roll around. Try to replace rolling with something else like throwing out certain short hop air attacks that your opponent may run into. Breaking the habit of rolling should come once you find other ways to get at and space yourself from your opponent however, if you really can't break the habit of rolling just remember that rolling away from your opponent is usually better than rolling towards. I hope I was able to help.

Supersteve45

Smash Rookie
There are certains words or abreviations that I don't understand. I'd apreciate if someone could explain me:

-Tripping
-DI
-FG
Tripping = That stupid feature in Brawl when your character falls over for no reason
DI = Directional Influence, when you hold the joystick a certain way to shift the direction you are knocked back in order to stay on the screen and survive stronger attacks at higher percents
FG = For Glory, an online mode in Smash 4

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
How bad are AT's like PP and Extended dash dancing/Foxtrot cancelling for the GC controller? Will it wreck it or will it just cause it to go bad a month earlier then usual?

And if I make a poll in one of my threads can I remove it?

Last edited:

TeunCornflakes

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
4141-3868-0421
(Am I posting this in the right section?)

I've been going to a few tournaments in my region now, and I've been bringing my Wii U with me most of the time. However, I haven't found a compact yet safe way to transport a console + monitor so far. Any advice?

Oneflip

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody,

im fairly new to the smash community and making my way to beat my friend :D

I bought myself a Wii U, so that i can play Smash at anytime and now im trying to unlock all custom moves,
and i saw the technique with the homerun bat and quick batter on crazy orders....

Can anyone send me a character with these two items?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Music question

Why is it called Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels Medley when the Lost Levels had no original music?

cremebrulee

Smash Rookie
This is something small that's been bugging me. When I read a notification on Smash Wii U, the speech bubble to the left of the notification with the exclamation mark doesn't go away. Can I fix that? Is it just me?

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I'm planning on making a thread introducing a mini-game I made myself with rules and a video demonstration. Is the general discussion forums the correct place to make it?

Edit: Never mind, found the answer myself.

Last edited:

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
So let's say I want to transfer one of my custom characters and play it at a friend's. I know you can transfer characters created on the 3DS to another wii u, but is there a way besides bringing over your whole console, to take a custom character from my wii u, and using the 3ds or any other means, transfer or even play that character at my friends house?
Not to familiar with how this works.
Thanks a lot!

Flubz

Smash Rookie
I have a question- is shield stabbing really a thing in Smash 4? I think it might have happened the other day, but it might have just been because I dropped my shield a bit early.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I have a question- is shield stabbing really a thing in Smash 4? I think it might have happened the other day, but it might have just been because I dropped my shield a bit early.
Yes it is. The smaller your shield gets the less it covers your character. This is especially true when shielding multi-hit attacks or attacks that are angled downwards.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
So let's say I want to transfer one of my custom characters and play it at a friend's. I know you can transfer characters created on the 3DS to another wii u, but is there a way besides bringing over your whole console, to take a custom character from my wii u, and using the 3ds or any other means, transfer or even play that character at my friends house?
Not to familiar with how this works.
Thanks a lot!
Unfortunately, it seems like the transferring only works one way. You can transfer a custom character from a 3DS to a Wii U or vice-versa, but copies of characters from another game apparently can't be transferred again. When I tried to copy a character from the Wii U version to the 3DS one that I copied onto the Wii U version a while back I got a message saying "You can't copy a fighter you downloaded or received as a copy."

Ranger Mike

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this has already asked, but is there a character that is preferred as the dummy in training mode? There's a few options that I assume are preferred: Sheik, becausse sheik lol; Sonic/megaman/roy because they are the middle terms of weight; and Bowser because the is the heaviest character in the game and all moves that kill him kill other characters but he's not good practice for combos in my opinion.

Bwill3002

Smash Rookie
NNID
BMW_Spiderman
Could anyone with a capture card upload a replay to youtube for me. When or if you send a friend request to me make sure to message me on Smash boards so I can send you the replay and befriend you. It would be a huge solid for me., also send me the link to the Youtube channel so I can see the replay. My NNID is BMW_Spiderman

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Sorry if this has already asked, but is there a character that is preferred as the dummy in training mode? There's a few options that I assume are preferred: Sheik, becausse sheik lol; Sonic/megaman/roy because they are the middle terms of weight; and Bowser because the is the heaviest character in the game and all moves that kill him kill other characters but he's not good practice for combos in my opinion.
I'd say Marth is a pretty good training dummy overall.

Top Bottom