• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

Hey everyone and welcome to the Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread! Do you want to know how you can get better at the game? Do you want to know who to main? Do you want to know where you can find other people to play against? You will be able to find the answers to these questions in this thread. Additionally, you can also ask any questions you may have here and other users will be able to give you the answer you require or point you to the right direction.

Note:
Before creating a new thread please utilize the search function on the top right hand of Smashboards to find if there has been a thread created regarding that topic already. You can also ask in this thread. In the final portion of this post you will find a table with all the relevant links to get you started on the Smash 4 section of Smashboards.

Question: How do I get better at the game?
Answer: Good question. There are a lot of things you can do to get better at the game and Smashboards has the resources for you to be able to accomplish your goals. First, you should go to the Smash Wii U / 3DS Character Discussion sub-forum and find the link to the community of the character you main. Inside those communities you will find all the relevant information for you to get better. The character sub-forums have threads such as: the character video thread, the match-up discussion thread, the social thread, frame data, and their respective Question and Answer Threads. You can also find guides for the character you utilize in the character sub-forums as well. Sometimes, they might be hyperlinked in a Table of Contents as in the case for the Lucina and Greninja character boards. I recommend you introduce yourself in the characters sub-forum respective social thread and if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask in there. You can also utilize the Game Play Advice and General Discussion Thread in the Wii U / 3DS Competitive Discussion sub-forum.

Question: Who should I main?
Answer: First ask yourself, are you trying to be a competitive smash player? If so, then the thread How you should choose your competitive main in Smash 4 should cover all the necessary steps for you to find your main.

Maybe you aren't going into the competitive environment. Then picking a main might be a bit different for you. Here are a few guidelines to make your process easier:
  • Identify a play style you enjoy.
  • Make a list of the characters that fit that play style.
  • Narrow it down to the ones who fit the mold you are looking for.
  • Do you have a specific connection to characters in that list due to a particular game? Chances are you will prefer this character over the others in the list.
If you went through those guidelines you will probably have a list of a few characters. Or maybe the list was reduced to one character and you found the character to main! Otherwise, some people have more than one main you can always try that out and see if it works for you.

Question: How do I unlock custom moves quickly?
Answer: For the Wii U version, the Crazy Orders Guide covers the fastest known method to unlock custom moves. The 3DS version has a different process which is described in The Guide for Unlocking Custom Moves Quickly.

Question: Where can I find people to play with or against?
Answer: You can find others to play against in the Wii U / 3DS Online Discussion sub-forum. Inside that sub-forum you will find two specific threads pinned. If you play on the 3DS you can find others to play against by posting on the 3DS friend Code Sharing Thread. If you play on the Wii U you can find others to play with on the NNID Sharing Thread.

Question: Where can I find information on Smash 4 tournaments?
Answer: If you are looking for information on local tournaments you should head to the Tournament Listings sub-forum. In that sub-forum you can filter out tournaments depending on your region by clicking the boxes corresponding to the region you live in at the Select a Region option pane. If you are looking for online tournaments you should head to the Online Tournament Listings sub-forum.

Question: Has a tier list been created? Where would X character be in the tier list?
Answer: No. An official Smashboards tier list for Smash 4 has not yet been created. If you are interested in discussing your characters competitiveness viability please utilize the general/social thread in the respective characters sub-forum.

Question: Which control scheme is best? Should I use a specific controller? Controller Help
Answer: You can find information, or ask about control schemes in the Controller / Button Mapping Advice Thread.

Question: Where can I find a Smash community that is in my country/region/city?
Answer: You can find this information in the Regional Zones sub-forum.

Relevant Links:
Below, you will find links relevant to the Smash 4 sections. You can also use this area to verify if threads have already been created before you post a similar thread.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Okay, I've seen this enough times to know something's up.

Basically I've had times while messing about when I've basically had the cpu at my mercy, they're trying to get back on stage, have already used their midair jump, too late to move away, I ready a move and... they jump again. No joke, they get a second midair jump. It's especially annoying since the game arbitrarily decides to rob me of a single midair jump half the time.

Am I the only one getting this? And no, it's not on characters that have that many jumps, it's guys like Ness and Dr Mario. And if it was a footstool I'm pretty sure they'd have to be on top of me... also there'd be a reaction to an on-ground footstool. And I'm sure it doesn't even go up that high like a proper jump.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Are you positive they've jumped? I really doubt something like this can actually happen, the only similar thing to this is in Melee and Project M where Ganondorf and Cpt. Falcon can re-obtain their second jump if they use Down-B in the air. Could you save a replay of it next time it happens and post it?

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
You can post replays? **** if I'd known that I'd have saved the triple-jumped Ness. He didn't have the sparkle effects but he clearly went upwards in a jump-like fashion and Marth's fsmash wasn't interrupted at all. I mean from the CPU I've already seen higher priority, higher range, larger spaces of time for counters to work and being able to move after attacks before it's even possible for human players to. Starting to wonder if that's normal too. There were times with the same matchup (Marth vs Ness) where moves kept missing despite the sword very clearly hitting Ness (and not at the tip either, at the base)

iAft3rbang

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAft3rbang
I would like to get feedback on my games. How can I record my games in HD ? Can I use the SD slot on the Wii U ?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ iAft3rbang iAft3rbang The way most streamers or YouTube uploader's record games is by utilizing Video Capture Cards. These allow you to record gameplay, replays, etc in HD.

Last edited:

Ducksen

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I might be going to EVO this year, and I was curious as to what you guys think would be some good measures to take to prepare for going to my biggest tournament yet. I got my fair share of tourney experience, both local and online, but nothing this big. Also, I don't really dig perfect pivoting (but I can if I try hard enough), should I start learning to do it anyway?

P.S. I main Mega Man (my best), Diddy, and Villager. I play some Ness and Little Mac but both are far too underdeveloped to call my mains. Plus, way too risky at EVO.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys! I might be going to EVO this year, and I was curious as to what you guys think would be some good measures to take to prepare for going to my biggest tournament yet. I got my fair share of tourney experience, both local and online, but nothing this big. Also, I don't really dig perfect pivoting (but I can if I try hard enough), should I start learning to do it anyway?

P.S. I main Mega Man (my best), Diddy, and Villager. I play some Ness and Little Mac but both are far too underdeveloped to call my mains. Plus, way too risky at EVO.
Learn match-ups, have your movement on point etc. Those are all important and you need to practice them as you always have. However, the most important thing you need to practice on is concentration. Being in a state of full attention to the game and block out whats going on around you will be key. At that moment, its just you, your opponent, and the game. This way you will be able to notice your opponents mistakes and capitalize them easier. You can focus on reading his rolls, baiting airdodges, and other things easily when you are in this state. There is a video I watch before tournaments that I use to remind myself of this. The Inner Game of Tennis.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Is it possible to have customs on, set the CPU character to "random" but have the CPU play only standard characters? Thanks!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ Kaladin Kaladin if it is set to random, it is not possible at least on 3DS. You would have to turn on customs and choose a specific character for it to be in its standard set.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
What can I do to get the edge when I'm close to someone? I generally cease up and don't make screw up.
I'm not sure that I understand your question. Do you mean grab the ledge? Or do you mean take the advantage in a match?

O)))

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure that I understand your question. Do you mean grab the ledge? Or do you mean take the advantage in a match?
When I posted that, I reread it and thought to myself "This is a bad question."

Get the advantage on someone when I'm close to them. I'm noticing that I either run past people and miss completely, or I find that we are rolling back and forth like idiots. How can I break this?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
When I posted that, I reread it and thought to myself "This is a bad question."

Get the advantage on someone when I'm close to them. I'm noticing that I either run past people and miss completely, or I find that we are rolling back and forth like idiots. How can I break this?
Try to walk instead of running. It will allow you to use tilts and smashes too, as well as offers you more control.

:231:

Last edited:

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
I would like to get feedback on my games. How can I record my games in HD ? Can I use the SD slot on the Wii U ?
Best way to record Wii U games in HD is to make sure you're recording in 720P HD (or higher) and in 60fps!(That's the rave nowadays). If you want something simple to record with, use the elgato HD60

What can I do to get the edge when I'm close to someone? I generally cease up and don't make screw up.
I assume you mean trumping the ledge? Try to make your analog go in a circle towards the stage. Be aware that if you press down for too long, you'll fast fall to death. Some characters even have stall moves to grab ledge easier (Like mario's cape)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I've never tried FG until yesterday, and I can't seem to get a game. I don't know if I've just developed bad habits fighting CPUs, or what, but I would greatly appreciate any general tips on going from fighting stupid but perfect reflexes to humans. Thanks!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Humans do not react the same way as AI. However, the way to get the advantage against an opponent is by identifying their patterns and capitalizing on those. Additionally, you can also bait opponents to react in the way you want them to react. For example, let's say you throw them up, if you jump as soon as you are able to, your opponent might expect you to attack and airdodge on reaction. In that situation you could simply not attack wait for the airdodge to finish and then attack once they are in their recovery frames. Baiting is not limited to airdodges. It can also include rolls, attacks, grabs, pretty much any action as long as you reply correctly.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Is there a thread that goes over the concepts of Smash specifically to Smash3DS/WiiU?

By concepts, I mean things like "spacing" and the rock-paper-scissors situations that go on in Smash. I know there are threads about this in the Melee and Brawl boards, but is there one specifically in the Smash4 board?

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
Well said Loucan. This is seen in all high level matchups. Waiting for air dodges, expecting rolls or get up attacks, baiting, etc. All are human habits that make the game ever more complex, only for the player to try to simplify it.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Probably a stupid question but.
How the heck do I work the photo studio?
I know how to get there, but when I do, all I can do is touch the screen to make a circular cursor like thing appear, and press A or B to get out of the screen. I've pressed literally every damn button on the gamepad, except for the power, tv, and home buttons.
Help please.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
Why does Jiggypuff's shield kill jigs and no one else?
To balance her out most likely. Her aerial mobility and aerial attacks are best, on the ground she has laggy and slow moves. So when she's on the ground after losing all her jumps, she needs protection. Her shield is huge, and covers almost an inch outside of her. However, break that shield and jiggs is dead. So you can't abuse her shield!

Mewtwo929

Smash Apprentice
A small village called......... Pallet Town!!!
NNID
Joestoes
To balance her out most likely. Her aerial mobility and aerial attacks are best, on the ground she has laggy and slow moves. So when she's on the ground after losing all her jumps, she needs protection. Her shield is huge, and covers almost an inch outside of her. However, break that shield and jiggs is dead. So you can't abuse her shield!
Interesting, thanks!

Crow!

Smash Lord
Can someone link me to an explanation of the mechanics for what you're able to do after getting hit, and more importantly, how to do them? I have plenty of experience with Brawl, but I'm finding that in this game, everyone can combo me indefinitely before I can act, whereas when I try to do those same combos my opponents can air dodge, attack, jump, and fastfall long before I arrive to score the next hit.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
Can someone link me to an explanation of the mechanics for what you're able to do after getting hit, and more importantly, how to do them? I have plenty of experience with Brawl, but I'm finding that in this game, everyone can combo me indefinitely before I can act, whereas when I try to do those same combos my opponents can air dodge, attack, jump, and fastfall long before I arrive to score the next hit.
That's a pretty huge question. Basically, there's more hit stun in this game. Unlike brawl where you can almost immediately air dodge or attack out of a hit, in this game if you aren't free after a hit, you'll continue to get hit or die.
To avoid this, you have to DI(directional influence) the attack properly. There are many forums on DI, just in case you do not know what that is.
Fast falling a move isn't necessarily like L-canceling, but it gives you another jump to continue a combo and to move faster. This is why sheik can chain many forward airs, because she forward airs twice, falls, jumps, and forward airs again.
Another thing you may have trouble with is air dodging, like you mentioned. It is important to realize that your combo will cause your opponent realize they need to air dodge out of your combo. If you catch it, and wait for the air dodge animation to end, you can continue the combo or end their life.

Last edited:

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
How many Custom items (equipment) Super Smash Bros. 3DS and WiiU have? I already have 604 in my 3DS and don't remember in my WiiU. Thanks!

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
Havent had a chance to touch the Wii U version for a while. Does the C-Stick still kill aerial momentum if set as Smashes?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How many Custom items (equipment) Super Smash Bros. 3DS and WiiU have? I already have 604 in my 3DS and don't remember in my WiiU. Thanks!
There's a total of 61 equipment sub-types, and there are as many as 93 bonus effects, and 3 rarity levels for the equipment without bonus effects.

This adds up to as many as 5,856 different equipment combinations. However, you can only hold up to 3,000 pieces of equipment, and duplicates can also be picked up.

It should also be noted that some equipment sub-types are more common to get than others; the Brawn Badge, Protection Badge, and Agility Badge are the most common, since all fighters can use them.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
There are certains words or abreviations that I don't understand. I'd apreciate if someone could explain me:

-Tripping
-DI
-FG
Tripping was a problem to many in Brawl as it could happen randomly and completely mess you up.
DI is a advanced technique that stands for Directional Influence. When taking knockback, you can somewhat change what direction you head into.
FG = For Glory, the Smash 4 online mode.

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
Hey, you replied to my question in another thead about trying to dash off the ledge without grabbing it accidently, but you locked it so I couldn't reply there. I think your response was aimed at trying to teach me how to grab the ledge quickly while I just wanted to dash off the ledge without grabbing it. Anyways, I found that air-dodging as soon as you run off the platform will prevent you from grabbing the ledge. If you do it too early you will just end up doing a dash grab. (Just incase this helps anyone who has this problem)

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I was letting you know how you can recreate the scenario, if you don't do that you should not have the problem. You don't need to airdodge if you keep holding the analog stick forward you will not grab the edge.

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
I was letting you know how you can recreate the scenario, if you don't do that you should not have the problem. You don't need to airdodge if you keep holding the analog stick forward you will not grab the edge.
Yea see thats the problem, holding forward does not always let you dash off off the ledge. My circle pad is aligned completely horizontal and still:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yea see thats the problem, holding forward does not always let you dash off off the ledge. My circle pad is aligned completely horizontal and still:
I was able to do it when Pikachu was running at any speed other than the top speed. Not sure how he's able grab the ledge like that.

:231:

piscaso

Smash Cadet
I know a lot of characters have lagless moves like Ganon's Usmash and (I think) Meta Knight's Ssmash, does someone have a list of all of them?

bump pls thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowrohas

Smash Rookie
I've been playing the game for a while now, from the 3DS launch and afterwards, and I just can't break the habit of rolling. When I fight a really good player who knows what they're doing, in my head I get scared and I end up rolling out of a habit and I know that it's just making things worse, but I can't seem to break the habit of doing it.

I was told that I'd eventually stop by being punished enough for it, but even after being punished match after match the habit's still there. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Has anything ever been ninja patched out of the game before? I'm pretty sure Diddy's sideb popgun cancel was secretly patched a day or two ago. It used to be super easy but now it's borderline impossible to do with the same inputs.

Top Bottom