• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sincerest Form of Flattery: Rivals of Aether as Smash Ultimate DLC

Which Rival would make the best Smasher? (All in-universe, no guests - sorry Shovel Knight)

• Zetterburn - The Fire's Roar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orcane - The Puddle Jumper

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Kragg - The Earth's Bastion

• Wrastor - The Wind's Fury

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Maypul - The Sylvan Watcher

• Forsburn - The Exhiled Flame

• Absa - The Storm Architect

• Etalus - The Glacier's Might

• Sylvanos - The Heart of the Forest

• Ranno - The Poisonous Pacifist

• Clairen - The Flame's Salvation

• Elliana - The Aerial Arsenal

• A Pokemon Trainer like Tag Team

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Roafightersfighting.png

For those not in the know, Rivals of Aether is a game made by Dan Fornace currently available for PC and Xbox One. It is also headed to the Nintendo Switch (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/smash-style_brawler_rivals_of_aether_is_headed_to_switch), and it is no secret that the game owes a lot of inspiration to Super Smash Bros, which apparently is pretty popular around these parts. While it may initially seem like a Smash clone, it has set itself apart in a very successful way to become one of the top platform fighters in the genre. Fornace is an admitted fan of the series, having made two fan games prior -- one themed after Lord of the Rings and the Game Boy "Demake" Super Smash Land. Including a character from this Smash-inspired game would not only be very meta, but an incredible honor for an admirer who has gone more than the extra mile.

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about the game myself but I looked and nobody else had made a thread like this so I thought I'd take up the mantle. I'm including a poll on which character you all think would be the best candidate, but the idea that came to mind for me was a Pokemon Trainer style tag team of three fighters - Maypul, Zetterburn, and Orcane.
maypul.png zetterburn.png orcane.png
Their A moves would be pretty self explanatory as they could easily borrow from Aether itself, albeit with different shielding and ledge mechanics. I'm not entirely sure if all of their "gimmicks" would transfer over well, though. The idea I had was that they all would emphasize some form of stage control. Orcane's puddles would probably be the easiest/least "broken" to implement, Maypul could set traps with her plants while still maintaining the vines as a tether, and Zetterburn could create pillars of flame very similar to Arcfire. Their final smash would invoke the unused element by having Wrastor call in all the force of the Air Armada. If anybody more knowledgeable on the subject has other ideas for a moveset you're more than welcome to flesh this idea out or post your own :)

Also, please like the original post if you're interested in being labeled a supporter. It will make things easier for me because I know I'll probably forget someone :laugh:. Hopefully we can make the initial post more detailed as more people get inspired to create movesets, etc.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Last edited:
Top Bottom