• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Shrine Maiden and wild child: Hikari and Donbe for Smash Thread

zferolie

Smash Hero

Hey guys. First time making a thread like this here, but when I saw this 2 didn't have a thread yet, I felt like I had to.

Who Are Hikari and Donbe?​
Hikari and Donbe come from an OLD Famicom only game called Shin Onigashima. It was a adventure game that involved our 2 protagonist, Hikari and Donbe, on an adventure to save their adopted parents. Hikari appears as a traditional shinto shrine maiden, is the smart and resorful one of the group, using her shrine maiden skills to fight other then strength. Donbe appears as a cave man like boy with a stick, and has increadible strength and used it to fight and solve puzzles. The game is heavily based on japanese mythology, as seen right away from the origions have our heroes. Hikari was found as a baby in a glowing bamboo tree, and Donbe in a rice bowl floating down a river. You also get animal allies from the tale of Momotaru, like RIngo the dog, Matsunosuke the monkey, and Ohana the pheasent. There are also items in japanese mythology like the Lucky Mallot that can grow or shrink people.

You progress through the game by chosing object to interact with and there were many bad endings in it. one key feature of the game was change character, which allowed you switch control to play as Donbe or hikari, and lots of puzzels involved swapping between the two and even going on seperate paths at times.

Why they should be in smash?​
Shin Onigashima has been referenced in quite a few nintendo games over the years, despite the game itself being the only one in the series. It got ported in Japan for the super famicom and GBA, and got a wii virtural console release in japan.

Hikari and Donbe appear as special guests in 1 stage of Kirby's dream land 3, and also in the manga for the same game

Donbe_and_Hikari.png
MangaDonbe_&_Hikari.png

Hikari herself appeared in the japan only game Captain rainbow as a NPC on the island of forgotten Nintendo characters along side Little mac, Birdo, and others, and gets a full chapter/story line devoted to her.

Rainbow_Hikari.png

In Super Mario Maker bother Hikari and Donbe got added as costumes in the game

And finally in the smash brothers series, they have been a trophy, as well as a remix of the theme of the game has been a music track since Brawl, and returned for Smash wii U and was seen in the latest direct from Ultimate

640px-Trophy285.PNG

So with all these references its clear nintendo hasn't forgotten them. Plus every game has had 1 odd ball retro character, and I feel they would be perfect for that role in this game. Plus they could bring a very unique playstyle to this game, a true double tag team that expands on the ice climbers idea and combins with with old Zelda/shiek. More details will be in my part of the playstyles section.

Playstyles:​
So way back since brawl I have been wondering and hoping they could make it in one day. But what could they bring that would be unique in the game? After some thought I figured it out: a true tag team fighter. Ice Climbers are a buddy fighters that both use the exact same moves for double hits, but Hikari and Donbe would fight together with their own unique attacks, and you can choose who is in the lead spot with the down B Change leader, which would visually look like how Dixie and diddy swap leaders in DKC2. This ties into their original game as you were constantly changing who was in front depending on what puzzles needed to be solved. In game it could be quite fast to change in mid combo.

So if Hikari is in front, she would do her normal A attack and Donbe would quickly follow up with his A attack. This would give the attack different properties. With Hikari in the lead her A's for example are low damage but keep people close, to set up Donbe's attack to launch them. Like wise Donbe in the lead would do extra damage when hit first, but hikari's fast attack after stops them from being launched so they stay close for combo attacks. Some attacks could vary of course, doing the opposite, but known and making sure who is in the lead at the best time is key to using them.

We already Discussed the down B move, but her other B moves I see being different compaired to the A moves. While the leader for the A move changed the order of the attacks, the leader of the B moves I imagine effects the property of the attacks If Hikari is in the lead the attacks deal less but have longer preperies or range, and if Donbe is in the leader they deal more damage and launch more but as slower.

B: Lucky Mallet. Hikari or donbe hit themselves with the mallet, which causes them to either grow or shrink depending on who is in the lead. Hikari in the lead makes them smaller, basically giving them Palutena's Lightweight alternitive side B from Smash 4. Donbe makes them grow, slowing the attack and movement speed, increasing all damage taken, and makes them heavier(harder to smash, but falls a lot faster) Duration is 10 seconds and there is an internal cool down on the skill as well.

Side B: Boulder smash. Donbe picks up a massive boulder and smashes it, doing damage to anyone close and the rock bits hitting people farther away for less. If Donbe is in the lead Hikari uses a shinto spell to strengthing donbe, making the rock do more damage close and much father knockback, but less rock spray. If Hikari is in the lead she enchants the rock, causing the spray of rocks to scatter farther out like a shotgun blast hitting more enemies father way but for less damage.

Up B: Ohana. Ohana swoops in from the nehind the pair slightly, hitting people as he swoops in, and then carries them for a bit, damaging anyone he hits, before gliding down. the pair can attack to get off him and start normal fall speed and attacks. If Hikari is in the lead Ohana has a larger vertical rise then horizontal rise, and does no damage during this. If Donbe is in the lead Ohana travels much more horizontally then vertically(DK up B levels), and does a lot of damage on contact.

Final Smash: Summon Hinoesama. Hikari throws out some sealing Fuda, and seals an area in front of her, and Donbe leaps and stabs the spot with his katana. If an enemy(s) are hit, it moves to a cutscene when Donbe is holding down the people hit with his sword as Hikari prays to the heavens. Hinoesama appears in the clouds and raises a hand, a big lightning bolt crashing down just as Donbe leaps away. The lightning bolt hits all the players, and then zooms back showing that it also destroed the Shino Onigashmia island that they were on.

Playstyle and Moveset:
Ground Speed 6/10: Donbe and Hikari are faster than average.
Air Speed 5/10: The team have average speed and maneuverability in the air.
Size 5/10: Donbe and Hikari are around Mario's height with Hikari being a little bit taller than Donbe.
Weight 6/10: Donbe and Hikari are heavier than average because Donbe is bulkier.
Fall Speed 7/10: Donbe and Hikari fall faster than average.
Jump Height 3/10: Donbe and Hikari do not jump up that high. They are below average.
Traction 7/10: The duo have good traction and stop pretty fast.
Donbe and Hikari are a team. They share one hitbox and cannot be separated. Donbe is more physically strong in his attacks, while Hikari's attacks are weaker but faster. Donbe and Hikari uses the items from their game to attack in Smash like Donbe's Katana, metal rod, and a bomb. Hikari can use her fan from Captain Rainbow and a sulfur ball. Donbe and Hikari can also have their companions help in their attacks.

Normal Attacks:
Jab Combo: Donbe punches three times in front of him.
Forward Tilt: Donbe swings a metal rod in front of him
Up Tilt: Hikari swipes her fan above them.
Down Tilt:
Dash Attack:

Smash Attacks:
Side Smash: Hikari swings her fan forward (like in an ending of Captain Rainbow). The fan also creates a small gust of wind in front of the fan that pushes enemies and items away.
Up Smash:
Down Smash:

Grabs:
Donbe grabs with both hands.
Pummel: Hikari slaps the opponent while Donbe holds them.
Forward Throw:
Back Throw:
Up Throw:
Down Throw: Donbe throws the opponent on the ground and both Donbe and Hikari jump on the opponent.

Aerials:
NAir:
FAir:
BAir:
UAir:
DAir:

Specials:
Neutral: Mallet of Luck: Donbe and Hikari both grow
Side:
Up: Tengu: Donbe and Hikari summon their ally, Tengu, who carries the two of them with his hands while flying upward.
Down:

Final Smash:
Hinoesama's Strength: Donbe sticks his katana in the ground where he is at (if you are in the air, the katana floats). Hikari then uses her necklace to speak to Hinoesama. Hinoesama agrees to help and three giant lightning bolts rain down on the stage in an X pattern with the third going through the X. When Hinoesama agrees to help, a small star shines in the background.

Taunts:
Side:
Up:
Down:

Entrance:
Donbe and Hikari ride in on Ohana's back, a giant pheasant bird.

In conclusion​
While I know they aren't that well known, I think they would be an excellent addition to the game, to bring in a old series to the game, as well as a very unique gameplay to it. I hope you guys may find her interesting and join in the support for these 2!

Stock Icons by Wademan94 Wademan94

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Awesome to see these two have a support thread at long last. There may be a couple of retro characters I want in SSB more than Hikari & Donbe (Lip and Balloon Fighter to be precise), but this duo still feature within my top 10 most wanted characters for SSB and have been for a long time.

So yeah, I'd love to see these two in the game and I support them for a playable role for Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Thanks for making this thread, zferolie zferolie .

zferolie

Smash Hero
Awesome to see these two have a support thread at long last. There may be a couple of retro characters I want in SSB more than Hikari & Donbe (Lip and Balloon Fighter to be precise), but this duo still feature within my top 10 most wanted characters for SSB and have been for a long time.

So yeah, I'd love to see these two in the game and I support them for a playable role for Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Thanks for making this thread, zferolie zferolie .
Yay the first supporter. Welcome! They are my top retro wants even though I see Lip and Balloon Fighter being more likely, but I love their designs a lot, and they could make for some excellent unique fighters!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Never heard of these before :O
I think they're cool but at the same time a bit bland. Is there a more recent game with different designs?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Never heard of these before :O
I think they're cool but at the same time a bit bland. Is there a more recent game with different designs?
Sadly no, they are as retro as retro can be. other then Music and the trophy in smash, last game either appeared in was Captain Rainbow, which only Hikari showed up in(you see her above with the more stylish Shrine maiden outfit)

EDIT: Oh right they were in Mario Maker derp. Thats the last time but it was with their original 8 bit designs

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Alright. Well thanks for bringing them up.
Frankly I think it'd be cool to have more smash-like games that would use 2d sprites like these, it could be fun.
Not saying they couldn't be modernized like the rest, but there's a lot I like as sprites.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’d love to see these two guys get a nod, we already got the awesome track in Brawl.

By the way, is there any subbed LP of Shin Onigashima? Since it’s not translated, I wish I could at least watch the story.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I support Donbe and Hikari for Smash! I can't believe someone finally made one for them in regards to Ultimate! Still though, I swear Sakurai made some nod to them in an interview released shortly after Smash 4 (Wii U)'s release and it wasn't very favorable for them. I think he said something about how we shouldn't expect the two in Smash anytime soon due to the Japan-only thing.

Let's hope that rule was lifted by the time of Ultimate's development...

zferolie

Smash Hero
I support Donbe and Hikari for Smash! I can't believe someone finally made one for them in regards to Ultimate! Still though, I swear Sakurai made some nod to them in an interview released shortly after Smash 4 (Wii U)'s release and it wasn't very favorable for them. I think he said something about how we shouldn't expect the two in Smash anytime soon due to the Japan-only thing.

Let's hope that rule was lifted by the time of Ultimate's development...

Sorry for latness, but i will add you to the list later tonight. Glad to see more Donbe and Hikari supporters.

Do you know more about that interview? Would like to read it. I know he has worried about that before, but i think woth how open the world is now, plus with msu9c and trophies in 3 games so far its possible for a .ostly japanese series to make it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry for lateness, but i will add you to the list later tonight. Glad to see more Donbe and Hikari supporters.

Do you know more about that interview? Would like to read it. I know he has worried about that before, but i think with how open the world is now, plus with music and trophies in 3 games so far its possible for a mostly Japanese series to make it.
Hey, thanks! Also, I'm sorry to say that I can't seem to find the interview. I KNOW Sakurai brought it up once, because I distinctly remember being beyond disappointed that characters like Donbe and Hikari (both of whom were brought up due to the interviewer who interviewed Sakurai specifically requesting for them to appear in Smash) aren't too likely to be playable in a Smash game anytime soon.

In fact, I think it was because of this interview (combined with the confirmation of how Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru, both of whom were planned for Melee and the latter for both Melee AND Smash 4 were cut due to their bigger prominence in Japan rather than worldwide), that people are widely aware of the whole "Japan-only/prominent characters AREN'T likely for Smash" rule these days.

I promise, if I DO find that interview, I'll post it here.

PushDustIn PushDustIn might know where it is. I'm fairly certain Source Gaming translated that interview.

Supporting, I'm hoping we get another Retro character AT ALL, in this game.
I'm 80% sure we're getting a retro character for Ultimate. I don't know WHO specifically, but I'm that certain we're getting someone.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Supporting, I'm hoping we get another Retro character AT ALL, in this game.
We have gotten a retro in every game so far, I would imagine we would get one this time. As for who its hard to say. WHile I want these 2 the most I can see others with a higher chance. Lip, Mach Rider(Sakurai wanted him in), Balloon Fighter(could be a memorial to Iwata), and they could even maybe classify Issac as a retro. I think Lip may have the highest chance of those but still hoping for this pair.

Hey, thanks! Also, I'm sorry to say that I can't seem to find the interview. I KNOW Sakurai brought it up once, because I distinctly remember being beyond disappointed that characters like Donbe and Hikari (both of whom were brought up due to the interviewer who interviewed Sakurai specifically requesting for them to appear in Smash) aren't too likely to be playable in a Smash game anytime soon.

In fact, I think it was because of this interview (combined with the confirmation of how Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru, both of whom were planned for Melee and the latter for both Melee AND Smash 4 were cut due to their bigger prominence in Japan rather than worldwide), that people are widely aware of the whole "Japan-only/prominent characters AREN'T likely for Smash" rule these days.

I promise, if I DO find that interview, I'll post it here.

PushDustIn PushDustIn might know where it is. I'm fairly certain Source Gaming translated that interview.
Source gaming huh? I'll up their site and see if I can find it as well.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh wow, this is different!

Never heard of these two before, but they're cool.
Yeah they aren't the most well known Nintendo characters, but they do keep popping up now an again as small bit roles. I honestly love the idea of a true duo character(more expanded upon ice climbers) to be really cool and they could bring a bynch of very cool and japanese mythology inspired things to the modern age of nintendo

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I've seen them around but never played any of their games. So I do recognize them, moreso Donbe than Hikari because he's the one with the design that stands out.

I'm of the belief that a retro character is necessary to complete the feel of the roster. I think one of these characters would serve that purpose well.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Bumping this due to we have new Stock Icons by Wademan94 Wademan94

Also, We see that Donbe and Hikari and Spirits! I can't reconize this art, but there is so little offical art of them on the internet this may have been used before somewhere. Remember, spirits doesn't deconfirm characters, and I am sure we are still getting a retro rep!

spirits_flow41.png

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Bumping this due to we have new Stock Icons by Wademan94 Wademan94

Also, We see that Donbe and Hikari and Spirits! I can't reconize this art, but there is so little offical art of them on the internet this may have been used before somewhere. Remember, spirits doesn't deconfirm characters, and I am sure we are still getting a retro rep!

Wait, Wade made these?

He did a splendid job! I mean, I would have liked to see them both together in the same icon as well, but it's fine. :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wait, Wade made these?

He did a splendid job! I mean, I would have liked to see them both together in the same icon as well, but it's fine. :)
You can put they right next to each other and it works just as well :) Still happy he made them and did such a good job

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
That's neat that they have spirits included; lovely artwork of them. It is also really neat to have those stock icons.

I'm of the same opinion that there is likely to be a retro pick amongst the five DLC characters, an whilst my primary hope is for Lip (my most wanted character), I would also be thrilled if Hikari and Donbe (my seventh most wanted character) is amongst the DLC wave. Spirits aren't deconfirmations indeed; there is still hope!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
With Donbe and Hikari as Spirits, whose clone do you all think they would possess in order to power up said clone/find a way to join the battle? Personally, I'm thinking the Ice Climbers.

zferolie

Smash Hero
With Donbe and Hikari as Spirits, whose clone do you all think they would possess in order to power up said clone/find a way to join the battle? Personally, I'm thinking the Ice Climbers.
Ice climbers make the most sense since they are also a duo. The question is what would their spirit do? I am at a lost for that. and what else would that spirit fight have to make it more fitting? Their music of course, but how do you copy their game or setting with what we got in game?

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Ice climbers make the most sense since they are also a duo. The question is what would their spirit do? I am at a lost for that. and what else would that spirit fight have to make it more fitting? Their music of course, but how do you copy their game or setting with what we got in game?
Ice Climbers make perfect sense for them to posses, though true, I'm unsure specifically what they could do to differentiate them in terms of style. I will have to think a little more on that. Unless they are separate spritis, they could include Duck Hunt Duo and Diddy Kong in the fight to represent Ringo, Ohana, and Matsunosike respectively.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers make perfect sense for them to posses, though true, I'm unsure specifically what they could do to differentiate them in terms of style. I will have to think a little more on that. Unless they are separate spritis, they could include Duck Hunt Duo and Diddy Kong in the fight to represent Ringo, Ohana, and Matsunosike respectively.
That is a good idea actually, and if Sakurai does that thats a huge amount of detail he is giving these 2.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Heck, sign me up as a supporter. We don't have nearly enough of the weird retro Japanese stuff from Nintendo's early days in the game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So a cool surprise in spirits mode. Donbe and hikari's spirit can evolve! Here is their evolved spirit.

20181208_161557.jpg

I dont think this artwork has much online presence as i dont think i have seen it before, but its for the third game in the series.

I hope of we ever one day get them into smasg they have this look

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So a cool surprise in spirits mode. Donbe and hikari's spirit can evolve! Here is their evolved spirit.

View attachment 182258

I dont think this artwork has much online presence as i dont think i have seen it before, but its for the third game in the series.

I hope of we ever one day get them into smash they have this look
Oooh!! Isn't this their artwork from the second half of the original Shin Onigashima game?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh, yeah! They BOTH grow up in the second half of the original Shin Onigashima. I think they're both about 3-5 years older(?)

Yeah, it's pretty darn obscure, and for good reason (I guess).
Thats what i thought. Also i liked how their fight also had the three animal buddies in it. Sakurai you mad genius woth all your references.

Yeah that are is barely anywhere on the web

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thats what i thought. Also i liked how their fight also had the three animal buddies in it. Sakurai you mad genius woth all your references.

Yeah that are is barely anywhere on the web
Yup! And hold on, their animal friends are represented? By who?

To be fair, Shin Onigashima isn't exactly the most prominent game, so I guess it isn't too surprising how it's barely found on the web...

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yup! And hold on, their animal friends are represented? By who?

To be fair, Shin Onigashima isn't exactly the most prominent game, so I guess it isn't too surprising how it's barely found on the web...
Falco, Diddy, and Duck Hunt.

You would think having music in smash since melee or brawl they would be more well known

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Falco, Diddy, and Duck Hunt.

You would think having music in smash since melee or brawl they would be more well known
Oh, I see. Crazy fitting, huh?

Well, I think they've only ever had the one song (Shin Onigashima medley) since Brawl.

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
Oh wow, I remember wanting this pair in the game back during the 3ds game speculation

Top Bottom