• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Welcome to the shrine young grasshoper of speculation. Welcome to the spiritual home of Impa's speculative chances in the upcoming Smash Bros. for Switch.

Impa was unfortunately not lucky enough to make it into Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS, however she has made a few more apperances since and has grown more into the hearts of speculators and Smashers alike.

Whilst I innitually supported Impa as a new character in Smash 4 in her Skyward Sword attire, right now am more flexibile with her support as she could also hail from Hyrule Warriors. Which would in fact make her a more unique character compared to the veteran Sheikah of Smash Bros. ; Sheik. :4sheik:

She could in fact, become a alternative character to Sheik, and I do support that idea to as long as she makes the roster. But I could see her making the roster on her own as a representative of Hyrule Warriors. As that game also became quite popular, and was released on the same exact platforms as Smash did.

- Is that the Eye of Horus, the Pineal Gland? Illuminati? No, that's the Sheikah symbol.

Impa from Skyward Sword had a tragic ride during the speculation era of Smash 4, but all is not lost. As Skyward Sword could potentially be rendered to HD, much like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. As the producer of Zelda says, it's definitely possible. http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/14/zelda-producer-on-skyward-sword-hd-its-definitely-possible

She also made an apperance in the Wii U version as a throphy stating her combat skills are similar to the likes of even Ghirahim:

So, guess now we're back and running again! I'll add a list of supporters as soon as this thread catches the eyes of speculators. As for now, I do think Impa is still the only real likely candidate for Smash Bros. from the Zelda franchise, if only as an alternative to Sheik. As it stands now, I think only Midna seems to give her some sort of concurrence.

As for abilities that would set her appart from Sheik, cause I know detractors are gonna watch here too:

-Magical skills; a magical orb attack that could be used as a projectile and is strong enough to destroy a Gate of Time in Skyward Sword. Her time traveling nature also could be incorperated into her moveset. As can Timeshift Stones, an important aspect of Skyward Sword. They also could with some liberty, take from the Sheikah items and runes from Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. She's also able to manipulate water or fire elements depending on her weapon of choice in Hyrule Warriors.
-A protective barrier; as shown in one of the more important cutscenes in Skyward Sword, Impa is able to ward of attacks for a longer period of time with her barrier from Ghirahim's fury attacks, but breaks after a while leaving her vurnable for attacks.
-Her weapons from Hyrule Warriors; the infamous two-handed sword from Ocarina of Time: The Biggoron Sword, and the Naginata, a spear-like weapon. Anyone who has played or watched Hyrule Warriors gameplay would know what's up.
-The Deku Nuts, the infamous weapons from Ocarina of Time meant to stun enemies. Also was an item in Brawl.
-Sheik's old moves hailing from her Melee and Brawl movesets, namely the Chain and her old Forward Aerial attack.. Hey, it's something!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
impa is a major recurring character in loz so it does make sense for her to be in smash i think, perhaps with the giant blade and nigata from hyrule warriors or its not to much of a stretch for her to have the shiekah slate moveset

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Impa is kind of the few characters left that's a big deal to the franchise next to arguably Tingle. She's definitely a good choice for the next Zelda addition to the roster.

Despite you know, there's still hope for the Sheikah Warrior's future in the franchise.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
impa is a major recurring character in loz so it does make sense for her to be in smash i think, perhaps with the giant blade and nigata from hyrule warriors or its not to much of a stretch for her to have the shiekah slate moveset
I would've mentoin the Sheikah Slate but...

Impa in Breath of the Wild isn't all too awesome to be honest. She's old and kind of ugly, but I won't hold it against her. She's simply not fit for battle, and it's funny that 100 year + old Impa looks so much worse than 10.000 + year old Impa of Skyward Sword. But she might've had some role in the past, and judging by Paya's appearance - her granddaughter- she looks much like her HW self.. But am not sure what it is, haven't been able to figure that out outside that she and Link where not strangers, and she carried Zelda's message for Link. So that means she is involved, but in what way? Maybe DLC will shed light on that part, but as of now, BotW's Impa is rather forgettable. Which is very regretable seeing BotW has the most Sheikah pressence in any Zelda game yet.

Master Kohga of the Yiga tribe does use some sort of barrier that's very similar to SS's Impa's barrier used against Ghirahim, so that was a nice touch. Be wary, I never played the game am just watching videos of it (too poor to buy a Switch, never got a Wii U either).

Am actually pretty sure we're gonna see more of BotW's lore and Huge Hyrule, so am not too worried actually. Pretty sure that BotW is the end of any timeline as well, just as Skyward Sword is the beginning of any timeline. So it's reassuring Impa is in, and old, cause that leaves awesome young ninja Sheikah roles for prequels.

I guess now is not the time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I always assumed the DLC campaign would be Link or Zelda but what if it's young Impa?

What I find a little odd about Impa is that she was the only reoccuring character for ages but for a while, completely disappeared. No-show in Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. But then she made a comeback in Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors and to a lesser extent, Link Between Worlds.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I always assumed the DLC campaign would be Link or Zelda but what if it's young Impa?

What I find a little odd about Impa is that she was the only reoccuring character for ages but for a while, completely disappeared. No-show in Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. But then she made a comeback in Skyward Sword, Hyrule Warriors and to a lesser extent, Link Between Worlds.
I've read rumours that Impa was planned for Majora's Mask, she has a model in the game and all. It wouldn't be Impa, given the story of Majora's Mask and all, but it was at least her model and that could give her some more star power.

She was also planned for Twilight Princess, but as 'Old Man Impa'. Actually glad they didn't went through with that. But it's sort of understandable she isn't there. The Sheikah have gone extinct some period of time before Ocarina of Time, so it's logical they are absent in TP to. But I'd like to have seen a sort of rivality between the Sheikah and Midna of the Twili. It'd be interessting to see what could've become of that. Sheik was planned to be in Twilight Princess however, so I wonder if she would've been in, Impa would be there to. She did luckily have a mentoin in game by Impaz, who is named after her. So it's not like she's totally forgotten in any way.

Wind Waker was the most understandable of all the games that had Impa's absence. Hyrule isn't even properly there.

But yeah it's a bummer she missed out on Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, especially now the HD remakes have been made recently. I still have hopes for that Skyward Sword HD remake. Hope they'll fix some issues in there. Let you know, Skyward Sword was the last Nintendo game I ever bought, so I think of hold it dear if only because of that. But I still think the story is just about the best in the Zelda lore, and that says a lot.

It's not like Toon Link and Sheik didn't benefit hugely from their game being ported to 3DS and Wii U anyway, so I guess Impa fares in the same waters as they.

I still also think that Sheik's tweaked moveset in Smash 4 could've been planned for Impa as a mean to take over Sheik's spot, but this we'll never know for certain. I wouldn't mind a semi-clone Impa using Smash 4's Sheik as a base either. Make her a stronger but slower but with similar jumps and weight and it'll be golden. Sheik was always one of the most popular characters in Smash 4 (due to her being so insanely overpowered at some point :rolleyes: ), so I could see it happening.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Impa is kind of the few characters left that's a big deal to the franchise next to arguably Tingle. She's definitely a good choice for the next Zelda addition to the roster.

Despite you know, there's still hope for the Sheikah Warrior's future in the franchise.
you make it sound like she hasnt been in a main series game for a while

I would've mentoin the Sheikah Slate but...

Impa in Breath of the Wild isn't all too awesome to be honest. She's old and kind of ugly, but I won't hold it against her. She's simply not fit for battle, and it's funny that 100 year + old Impa looks so much worse than 10.000 + year old Impa of Skyward Sword. But she might've had some role in the past, and judging by Paya's appearance - her granddaughter- she looks much like her HW self.. But am not sure what it is, haven't been able to figure that out outside that she and Link where not strangers, and she carried Zelda's message for Link. So that means she is involved, but in what way? Maybe DLC will shed light on that part, but as of now, BotW's Impa is rather forgettable. Which is very regretable seeing BotW has the most Sheikah pressence in any Zelda game yet.

Master Kohga of the Yiga tribe does use some sort of barrier that's very similar to SS's Impa's barrier used against Ghirahim, so that was a nice touch. Be wary, I never played the game am just watching videos of it (too poor to buy a Switch, never got a Wii U either).

Am actually pretty sure we're gonna see more of BotW's lore and Huge Hyrule, so am not too worried actually. Pretty sure that BotW is the end of any timeline as well, just as Skyward Sword is the beginning of any timeline. So it's reassuring Impa is in, and old, cause that leaves awesome young ninja Sheikah roles for prequels.

I guess now is not the time.
still doesnt mean we cant have young impa from either oot ss or hw with the shiekah slate lets not forget we have tp zelda using the oot spells

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
True, she's definitely a reoccurring character. But her inconsistent appearances are still what hinders her. At least with most Link and Zelda incarnations, they are at least similar to one another.

Impa on the other hand can appear as either a youthful warrior in some games (Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, etc) or an old lady (most of her classic and 2D appearances) in the others. She has no set appearance with her younger incarnations being much less frequent than the old (Even Fat Oracles Impa counts as being old)

Not that I'm trying to downgrade her overall appearances, but don't you think her inconstant incarnations is why she's rarely seen as a contender in Smash discussion?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

still doesnt mean we cant have young impa from either oot ss or hw with the shiekah slate lets not forget we have tp zelda using the oot spells
Yes true but Ocarina of Time Zelda at least made a playable appearance in Melee beforehand using those spells.

Also, the Sheikah Slate wasn't arround in Skyward Sword so it simply wouldn't be logical to add Impa with a Sheikah Slate as a mesh up between Zelda games into one character. Sure the concept is nice, but too confusing. If Young Impa makes some sort of future appearance in BotW am totally down for it! Hell, she could even be the original user of the Sheikah Slate before Link got it, story-wise. But for now, I don't see it happening.

Some of the Sheikah Slate abilities could translate into attacks however, could be down for THAT to happen, but not to base a whole moveset around.

And yes, Impa is more frequently a old woman. Especially at the begin of the series, but her most important and iconic roles aren't as a old woman but as a Sheikah warrior. She was the only known Sheikah for a long time after all. And she was of course young and fighting in Hyrule Warriors. You didn't see Old Woman Impa in Hyrule Warriors despite just about any character ever being made playable due to DLC including multiple Links, Zeldas and Ganons, so there's that.

I wanna avoid spoiler stuff, but let's just say that for now, Hyrule Warriors Impa is definitely the most likely candidate out of all the Impas we have. Skyward Sword Impa running close behind, and becoming extremely likely once Skyward Sword HD ever comes to be (which is still guesswork since the game is now hailed 'worst 3D Zelda' for stupid reasons).

Speak of Impa what you like, she's still prety much the most likely Zelda newcomer, even if it's just as an alt to Sheik.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Impa goes the giant sword route I think that'd be the first time they use a character's spin-off appearance as the main inspiration apart from Dr Mario (who mostly takes from the main Mario seires) and Megaman's Mega Upper (Mahvel baybe!)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Impa goes the giant sword route I think that'd be the first time they use a character's spin-off appearance as the main inspiration apart from Dr Mario (who mostly takes from the main Mario seires) and Megaman's Mega Upper (Mahvel baybe!)
Thanks for reminding me that spin-offs DO get used for inspiration! Never played Dr.Mario or Mega Man so I'd never know. So this is a good find!

I know that Hyrule Warriors isn't canon, but hey it's just about the most fanservice-y thing Zelda related in excistance. Hence it's great reception and even a sort of sequel / port on the 3DS. It's more than just a spin-off game, it's ultimate fan-service and a third party developer fusing a legendary (I AM SO ****ING CLEVER HUH :shades::awesome:) first party franchise with an excisting franchise.

Least you knew, Namco worked on Smash Bros. 4 Wii U / 3DS as well, so give the game a break please. Smash 4 had the most third party fighters ever, and focussed a lot on them. So why wouldn't they take a little inspiration from that game? It's not like Zelda, Ganondorf or Sheik fight using their in-game abilities... Only the Links do.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would like Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's great to have you veterans joining up with us!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Let's be honest without ourselves, who would want to play an elderly Impa?

That's why her younger appearances logically make the most sense for Smash. This is not Cranky Kong where she still have some fight in her since she's drastically weakened past her prime depending on the timeline.

And yes, I still support.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
After some time playing Breath of the Wild, I could see (young) Impa in Smash fighting similarly to the Yiga Clan fighters since they are Sheikah just like Impa is.

Why not? It could work and makes sense and it would make Impa not a clone of Sheik.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm all in for Impa. She's the obvious next Zelda choice

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
It's finally time for me to support her! Zelda really needs another character and I don't see nobody except Impa deserving the spot!
In the past I supported Midna, Ghirahim (that is why I not supported Impa until today), But at this point their chances are sooooo low.

Tingle vs Impa - Don't evem make me start this, please ,GOD! He should be fun to play, but still, not him before Impa

Lana (or any HW character):
NO

Vaati - I think he is not well recognized to compete for a spot (but would be really cool/random)

Majora/Skull Kid - Great villain! Is very popular, but never reappeared in the series (I'm not counting the remake here), sooooo I don't have much to say

Toon Zelda - POTENTIAL CHANCES

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
An elderly Impa? She really doesn't have much fighting potential with that. I'd be all down for a mainstream appearance of Old Impa as a powerful druid-like character (been playing a lot of Fire Emblem again lately). Personally, I still think they perfected her role in Skyward Sword with both Young Impa and Old Impa appearing. This is why I'm hoping for Skyward Sword HD even more, more exposure for the game would be awesome. It was even hyped more than Breath of the Wild I remember, it's a damn shame the game didn't get the recognision it deserved.

After some time playing Breath of the Wild, I could see (young) Impa in Smash fighting similarly to the Yiga Clan fighters since they are Sheikah just like Impa is.

Why not? It could work and makes sense and it would make Impa not a clone of Sheik.
And this is where we can start an indebt discussion!

I noticed that the Yiga Clan's leader Master Kohga used a barrier in battle very similar to Impa's in Skyward Sword. So that's definitely a high rank Sheikah ability. And am still hoping for Impa to appear in the DLC of Breath of the Wild, as she even said in the first meeting with the awakened Link; 'I'm now much older but sure you remember me?' - yet Young Impa wasn't ever seen in Link's memories.

Am quite curious how the rest of the Yiga fight however! Got any links?

I could see both Impa and Ganondorf getting some attention in the new DLC of BOTW, but I won't hold my breath.

Also the Sheikah monks in the Shrines all are direct servants to Hylia, but why didn't they give Impa a similar role to that? She's still the leader of the Sheikah, but she's not a major key character in the story unfortunately. You get off to see Impa by the Old Man, she'll tells you the story we're all familiar with, and then she becomes irrelevant. I still think it's a damn shame they didn't expand her role even further from Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword's Impa would be SO awesome to see in action in Breath of the Wild... Why didn't the Sheikah race have their own Champion? So much potential wasted....

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Impa has so many moves to pull from i'd be hard to make her a clone, and to have her moveset be diverse (as in use stuff from many games, hopefully even Hyrule Warriors).

Just like Link,Zelda and Ganondorf I want Impa to have all her looks (that would work anyway sorry grandma impa) as proper costumes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder if the Yiga Clan are actually Sheikah monkeys. They really love bananas.:4diddy:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I guess I'll go back to supporting Impa as well, I actually want her HW incarnation the most, tbh. I think she'd be the most unique in that case.

I won't lie though, I still prefer Vaati. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would like to see Impa. I feel she's the next logical step for the Zelda series as it dips into its next tier of important characters. Though who knows, Sakurai may just stick us with another Link or Zelda or Ganon/dorf.

Personally the Impa I'd like to see would sort of be an amalgamation of her SS, HW, and BotW looks, with the latter being how she hypothetically would've appeared 100 years previous. But Smash doesn't really do hybrid appearances for Zelda characters, past colour schemes, so... dunno where we go from here. If only younger Impa had appeared in a flashback at least, I feel like we'd be in a better place right now.

Maybe they'll release some preliminary art of her at some point. :/

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's a bit strange really. Impa is the character who I feel has the best shot of being a Zelda newcomer for Smash Bros., but at the same time I still feel like she's in a pretty tough spot. That being said, I think the odds for most potential Zelda newcomers aren't too great for one reason or another.

There's no question that they'd go with a young incarnation of the character, but her last two appearances as a young warrior are Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors. They of course ended up reusing the Twilight Princess designs, and understandably so I suppose given Ganondorf and Sheik's absence from more recent titles. And there weren't any scrapped designs or concepts like there were for Sheik when it came to TP.

And as much as I like Hyrule Warriors, I honestly don't think they'd use a spin-off as the primary source material to base a character's design off of. Doc and Mega Man were brought up earlier but keep in mind that Dr. Mario was included after the fact as a clone of regular ol' Mario. They had a good representation of Mario taken care of already. And while I'm sure they could borrow some things from HW, I doubt they'd use much. With Mega Man for example, he may have the Mega Upper (from When's Mahvel?),but that's all he has in terms of non-canon moves. Everything else is extremely faithful to the source material.

That being said, she does have plenty of merit to warrant her inclusion. OOT, SS, and maybe some references to HW if they so chose can provide a decent amount to work and if they really had too then they probably could make her a semi-clone with Sheik as the base. Being a Sheikah warrior and Zelda's mentor it'd be a clone/semi-clone that makes a good amount of sense at least.

For now I suppose we just have to hope the next Zelda game includes a young version of Impa again, and that her role is at least on par with that of Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. As for the art style issue, whether they adopt the designs from whatever game is out by then or go with TP for the third time, I honestly don't see what's stopping Sakurai from requesting some designs from the Zelda devs like he did for Sheik during Brawl's development. If he went and did it before, I don't see why that should suddenly stop future Zelda characters.

I've rambled on quite enough though. I support Impa's inclusion.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

Could equal...

I know she doesn't exactly display such power in the game itself, but this wouldn't be the first time. Plus, an elderly, Yoda-esk Impa would be very unique on the roster (as opposed to being too similar to Shiek). To answer Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan if she is as fast and nimble as a Yoda playstyle would make her, in addition to being hard to hit, I imagine many competitive players and Youtubers would see what she's capable of, and therefor have many random people trying to main her in attempt to mimic success in For Glory.

Plus, she could make use of the Shiekah Slate if neither Switch Link or Zelda do.

The leader of the Yiga Clan also has powers similar to that on the Shiekah Slate, including Magnesis.

I could see her being a slow walker but with a very fast sprint and fast air speed. Short reach but quick attacks. I could see her making use of Shiekah Slate powers and possibly teleportation in vain of the Yiga Clan. The real question is, who WOULDN'T want to use a magitech ninja grandma?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would like to see Impa. I feel she's the next logical step for the Zelda series as it dips into its next tier of important characters. Though who knows, Sakurai may just stick us with another Link or Zelda or Ganon/dorf.

Personally the Impa I'd like to see would sort of be an amalgamation of her SS, HW, and BotW looks, with the latter being how she hypothetically would've appeared 100 years previous. But Smash doesn't really do hybrid appearances for Zelda characters, past colour schemes, so... dunno where we go from here. If only younger Impa had appeared in a flashback at least, I feel like we'd be in a better place right now.

Maybe they'll release some preliminary art of her at some point. :/
Yeah I see the scenario as unfavorable as well to be quite honest. Impa, prior to Breath of the Wild, was easily the most prominent choice in terms of characters reappearing in the Zelda franchise with notable story-importance, abilities useful in battle, and popularity. Midna was the only other character able to rival her on these things, as well as Ghirahim. Yet, both characters never had any staying power due to them being one-offs.

Hyrule Warriors was great for Impa. But it was also great for Ghirahim and Midna. As well as even Ganondorf. It's a shame that the Zelda franchise continues to dismiss their most popular characters so much. It's really hurting the franchise when only a dude like Beedle is consistantly in a similar role, especially since Zelda's characters are popular and well liked.

Paya does give a little hint in how Impa could sort of looked like in the past. I still am majorly bummed out by the way her role all played out for BotW. Sheikah references and symbols everywhere, yet outside of 'muh technology' the Sheikah aren't really all that present as I hoped in BotW. I still think it's a weird decision for the infamous ninja clan to suddenly be all about super advanced technology all of a sudden. Though after Skyward Sword, it sort of makes sence, if we're looking at the Lanayru area of SS (which was never decipted as Sheikah territory, ever).

As for the composite look you suggested, damn I'd like that honestly. I still think it's weird that the Sheikah got a whole different look again from the look of SS's Impa, who's tan and blonde instead of pale and with white hair. But I'll keep ranting about this, obviously, Impa in Breath of the Wild had it bad... I still can't imagine one looking even older as a 120+ old in BOTW than a 10.020+ year old in SS... :rolleyes:

Just compare this...

With this...

While the looks are somewhat a like, I still don't get why they went all comical old hag as a design for Impa, whilst she was known as a hardy, disciplined and dedicated warrior in her prior appearance.

All is not lost however! As I still have SOME faith that Skyward Sword could get a HD remake; that'd easily be Impa's saving grace. At least, when it comes to Smash. Bet she'll reappear in Zelda from now on, and pretty consistantly. But am not sure if it's gonna be in a role that I personally would like.

Maybe Breath of the Wild's DLC will fix it, cause I still think the Sheikah's role is somewhat unfulfilled and empty in Breath of the Wild. Though honestly, with the giant amount of work done on Hyrule in BotW, I can't imagine them not reusing a good bulk of it for the upcoming games. Hopefully we'll get Skyward Sword HD, and it's sequel.

As for the look I like most:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah I see the scenario as unfavorable as well to be quite honest. Impa, prior to Breath of the Wild, was easily the most prominent choice in terms of characters reappearing in the Zelda franchise with notable story-importance, abilities useful in battle, and popularity. Midna was the only other character able to rival her on these things, as well as Ghirahim. Yet, both characters never had any staying power due to them being one-offs.

Hyrule Warriors was great for Impa. But it was also great for Ghirahim and Midna. As well as even Ganondorf. It's a shame that the Zelda franchise continues to dismiss their most popular characters so much. It's really hurting the franchise when only a dude like Beedle is consistantly in a similar role, especially since Zelda's characters are popular and well liked.

Paya does give a little hint in how Impa could sort of looked like in the past. I still am majorly bummed out by the way her role all played out for BotW. Sheikah references and symbols everywhere, yet outside of 'muh technology' the Sheikah aren't really all that present as I hoped in BotW. I still think it's a weird decision for the infamous ninja clan to suddenly be all about super advanced technology all of a sudden. Though after Skyward Sword, it sort of makes sence, if we're looking at the Lanayru area of SS (which was never decipted as Sheikah territory, ever).

As for the composite look you suggested, damn I'd like that honestly. I still think it's weird that the Sheikah got a whole different look again from the look of SS's Impa, who's tan and blonde instead of pale and with white hair. But I'll keep ranting about this, obviously, Impa in Breath of the Wild had it bad... I still can't imagine one looking even older as a 120+ old in BOTW than a 10.020+ year old in SS... :rolleyes:

Just compare this...

With this...

While the looks are somewhat a like, I still don't get why they went all comical old hag as a design for Impa, whilst she was known as a hardy, disciplined and dedicated warrior in her prior appearance.

All is not lost however! As I still have SOME faith that Skyward Sword could get a HD remake; that'd easily be Impa's saving grace. At least, when it comes to Smash. Bet she'll reappear in Zelda from now on, and pretty consistantly. But am not sure if it's gonna be in a role that I personally would like.

Maybe Breath of the Wild's DLC will fix it, cause I still think the Sheikah's role is somewhat unfulfilled and empty in Breath of the Wild. Though honestly, with the giant amount of work done on Hyrule in BotW, I can't imagine them not reusing a good bulk of it for the upcoming games. Hopefully we'll get Skyward Sword HD, and it's sequel.

As for the look I like most:

well the be fair she wasn't a warrior in her first appearance

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
well the be fair she wasn't a warrior in her first appearance
50/50 on this one.

Impa did appear in the story of The Legend of Zelda for the NES, however, she only appeared in the manual. She wasn't seen in the main game at all. Same with Zelda 2.

Her first actual in-game appearance was Ocarina of Time however.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
50/50 on this one.

Impa did appear in the story of The Legend of Zelda for the NES, however, she only appeared in the manual. She wasn't seen in the main game at all. Same with Zelda 2.

Her first actual in-game appearance was Ocarina of Time however.
i know but it still counts as her original appearance

obviously it makes more sense for her to be in her younger appearance despite the fact that its only in two main series games

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I voted for Hyrule Warriors Impa in the Smash Ballot because I thought the possibilities of a character that revolved around combos would be awesome. Instead we got.... (I'm not salty)

I never thought about possibly an old woman "Yoda-style" Impa but it could work to fit under the "cool old lady" trope which we haven't seen in Smash yet. I would just hope one of her costumes would be a shout-out to the CDi incarnation.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's an idea to make her work like that yeah, but am not all too excited for it. BotW's Impa doesn't fight at all, or is implied to. She has her servants / tribesmen to do that for her.

Hyrule Warriors Impa would be awesome, and I do think she's the most likely character to be picked from that game, outside of veterans as Ganondorf or even Toon Link to look for inspiration for their movesets. But it isn't all togheter likely. Hyrule Warriors Zelda cast would mean that a lot of movesets need to be reworked, if only slightly. Ganondorf could need it, that's for sure. But I doubt the Link and Zelda variants wil be changed much.

Zelda does really need some roster updates though cause the last two games nothing changed at all except for the Zelda / Sheik split up, which caused even more inbalance between both characters. It was one of the very reasons why I wanted Sheik cut from the roster completely and rather give the spot to Impa, but guess this didn't happen.

I do suspect because of the very many changes to Sheik's moveset (far more than needed) that at one point this change WAS about to happen, but they decided against it. Wether it be cause Sheik's revival role in OOT3D, her return in Hyrule Warriors, or the fact that Breath of the Wild was already heavily in development back then, and Impa's role being insignificant in it, I really don't know. I also suspect a very similar thing happened with Ike / Chrom, but they decided on keeping Ike and adding Robin instead of Chrom far earlier.

Anyway, it's pure speculation on my part.. Yet I do think Impa was at least considered once during development of Smash 4 Wii U / 3DS. And being on the developer's eye is a good thing, always.

Still, as it stands now, I think being a Sheik alt is the most realistic thing we can hope for. Unless we get Skyward Sword HD of course, and unless they are gonna use Hyrule Warriors designs for the Zelda cast. In that case, Impa easily becomes one of the more likely newcomers. The lack of freshness in the Zelda roster could make this happen. Then again, they could just revamp Ganondorf completely, and call him a newcomer of sorts...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really like the idea of a Yoda style elderly Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really like the idea of a Yoda style elderly Impa.
If she only used that style in BotW, I'd accept it fully as another way Impa could be implemented in Smash. But as it stands, I think it'd be an insult to characters as the Champions who are far more involved in the story, and actually participated in battle in the game.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
User was warned for this post
Old Woman "Yoda" Style Impa or BUST!

Or just add Fat Impa from OoA and make her a grappler fighter, seriously that would be awesome and would help the "Impa would just be a clone of Sheik" argument.

I actually make a Moveset for both of them, when I find the time I mean.

Also-

Let's be honest without ourselves, who would want to play an elderly Impa?
-Impa Fans
-People who like her playstyle
-People who like who old women
-People who are trying to find a main
-People who ARE old women
-People who like to mess around with characters even if there not good with said character
-Ninja fans if she plays like one
-Mage fans if she plays like one
-Yoda fans

Trust me I can go all day.

That's why her younger appearances logically make the most sense for Smash. This is not Cranky Kong where she still have some fight in her since she's drastically weakened past her prime depending on the timeline.
Smash doesn't fallow canon other universe canon you silly goose. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Random idea: What if Impa adopted that cool blade hat from Breath of the Wild as a part of her moveset?

Old or young, I see some potential in that.

Smash doesn't fallow canon other universe canon you silly goose. :)
Then there's Sakurai's strange allergy to making Ridley a playable character.

But this is about Impa, and not him.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Random idea: What if Impa adopted that cool blade hat from Breath of the Wild as a part of her moveset?

Old or young, I see some potential in that.

Then there's Sakurai's strange allergy to making Ridley a playable character.

But this is about Impa, and not him.
That would be pretty awesome, hopefully old. :)

Yeah I will never understand that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh great the trolls have reached this thread again, was about time. Thanks for the activity though! :smirk:

I'd like to see Young Impa with that blade hat before I decide if I want it. It would've been a wicked design for a warrior-like Impa, but alas. Nothing to be done about it now, unless BotW gets a proper prequel, which it probably won't cause this is Zelda. I still wouldn't know how that hat would be used as part of her moveset, but it's design is cool enough. Pretty much the only thing about BotW's Impa that's cool...

Elderly Impa also hasn't fought at all, nor where there any hints of her being able to hold her own in a battle- quite the opposite in fact. So I completely rule her out as a playable character honestly. I made it pretty clear in the first post which Impa I'll be supporting, and that's either Hyrule Warriors Impa or Skyward Sword Impa. Hyrule Warriors Impa being that much more likely cause of the 3DS port, and there being a Fire Emblem Warriors- which is still a sign that the series did great as Hyrule Warriors so I think it counts, even though it's Fire Emblem instead of Zelda.

Skyward Sword Impa can become a great option again if Skyward Sword gets a port, which might not happen now but in the near future I won't rule it out (completely).

Top Bottom