• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

D

Deleted member

I'm happy to see Impa get a revival in speculation because of AoC. Sad she missed her chance in Smash 4. She looks great, but it definitely feels like history is repeating for me.

I love HW and I think that game had the best designs yet - especially Impa, who's always looked off in some way, IMO. And she was another Zelda character. And she played so differently in comparion to say Sheik. So I rallied behind her during the Smash ballot days back then. She didn't happen, but it's funny how we still got a two-hander in the form of Cloud - seeing as Impa's one in HW.

I desperately want HW to get representation in Smash. I wanted HW Impa. so badly, if anything. I wanted Linkle, I love her design too - she has dual crossbows, how cool is that. I wanted her playable in the mainline Zelda games. I wanted HW skins for all of the triforce trio. It may be a spin-off, but it's still one of my favourites in the Zelda franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Not a bad idea. In terms of actual Zelda canon, Skyward Sword Impa is the most important one by a landslide. She lacks a distinctive own playstyle however, but that could be taken from Age of Calamity of course.

I always thought a Skyward Sword was a good contender to get a remake. Because it's the only 3D Zelda game so far that hasn't had one. A few changes in the whole overworld of "the surface" and the game is magic. Maybe make flying the Loftwing less of a chore. And give the overworld something to do in... A complaint I've had about most Zelda games sans Breath of the Wild and Wind Waker.

I'm guessing Skyward Sword Impa will be a Sheik Echo however. Maybe a Ken styled Echo, since it's DLC and all, but still.
I can see Sakurai taking inspiration from Skyward Sword and Age of Calamity for her moveset. Because she'd be a paid fighter, I don't think she'll be an echo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can see Sakurai taking inspiration from Skyward Sword and Age of Calamity for her moveset. Because she'd be a paid fighter, I don't think she'll be an echo.
Not too sure. I love Skyward Sword Impa, but she has less to work with. The blue magic effect of the Sheikah did carry over from Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild however. So the moves Age of Calamity Impa uses wouldn't look too far off I think. The barrier is still a welcome too! Hoping to see it in AoC somewhere.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Sounds like Age of Calamity spoilers are out there in the wild (according to a friend). Please be careful everyone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is still my favourite after unlocking the Champions, that's for sure. How she mows through hordes is amazing, her gimmick also is simple but doesn't get old. She's amazing to play as.

Think my second most liked character is Link, but with a two handed blade. Unless the Master Sword is gonna surprise me, which I don't think. I liked Link's moves better in OG Hyrule Warriors I think. I like all the Champions equally, Revalli seems cheap at times, and by playing her I like Mipha way better than in BotW honestly. Daruk, I haven't played yet to be honest..gonna give him a go now because I like the guy a lot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
hetsu is super fun to play as
Just got him, haven't played around with him yet. His personality makes it already worth to give him a go however.

The shield surfing really ruins Link in this game for me though. I think it looks way too goofy

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Does anyone know what the Korok seeds do in Age of Calamity? I've found four, but I'm not sure if there's any reason for me to track them down.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Does anyone know what the Korok seeds do in Age of Calamity? I've found four, but I'm not sure if there's any reason for me to track them down.
According to this source.

Korok Seeds are primarily used as turn-in materials for certain quests in game. Some of these quests will power up the
playable character Hestu, giving him more combos!
However, it's also possible to use Korok Seeds to get more weapon inventory space. Having more weapons means you'll be able to upgrade them more, so the more space you have the better!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
not really spoilery but better safe than sorry
i recall in the rate their chances thread there was some debate as to how big impas role in the story was. and based on what ive seen it is pretty big so far. gotta say though it is a very different impa in terms of personality but i like her. one thing though it isnt very clear where the flash backs from botw fit in

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
not really spoilery but better safe than sorry
i recall in the rate their chances thread there was some debate as to how big impas role in the story was. and based on what ive seen it is pretty big so far. gotta say though it is a very different impa in terms of personality but i like her. one thing though it isnt very clear where the flash backs from botw fit in
Nothing really fits in honestly. It isn't much of a spoiler, but this game isn't as dark as we all thought it would be.

Personally am hoping that we see Impa's old movesets as DLC. She could use a Eightfold Blade as substitute for the Giant Blade, and the Naginata could come back on it's own. They'd probably not have the according elements, but that's totally fine. I love playing Impa, don't get me wrong, but I sort of just want to see this happening too.

What level is Impa with you guys ? I'm level 50 with her, or close to. Maybe 49. She's taking a huge lead over others outside of Link, who's about level 47. The Champions are about level 35, and I haven't even touched Zelda and that other dude unless I had to.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nothing really fits in honestly. It isn't much of a spoiler, but this game isn't as dark as we all thought it would be.

Personally am hoping that we see Impa's old movesets as DLC. She could use a Eightfold Blade as substitute for the Giant Blade, and the Naginata could come back on it's own. They'd probably not have the according elements, but that's totally fine. I love playing Impa, don't get me wrong, but I sort of just want to see this happening too.

What level is Impa with you guys ? I'm level 50 with her, or close to. Maybe 49. She's taking a huge lead over others outside of Link, who's about level 47. The Champions are about level 35, and I haven't even touched Zelda and that other dude unless I had to.
having played a couple more missions i have to more than agree

oh im in about 30s and 20s with everyone

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
having played a couple more missions i have to more than agree

oh im in about 30s and 20s with everyone
I've been grinding a bit too much with Impa. Honestly I think she's the best character in the game. How she mows through enemies is a joy to behold, and play as. In terms of mowing, Revali and Urbosa also come close but Revali is only good on a safe distance, and Urbosa only when her lightning mechanic meter is full. Impa is less impressive without her clones, but there's no reason why you would ever be without them if there are plenty enemies around. Link with the Master Sword with full health is also up there, obviously.

Also I carried over 20 levels from the demo version, so I likely had a head start. This game is lots of fun, haven't put it down much since I started playing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've been grinding a bit too much with Impa. Honestly I think she's the best character in the game. How she mows through enemies is a joy to behold, and play as. In terms of mowing, Revali and Urbosa also come close but Revali is only good on a safe distance, and Urbosa only when her lightning mechanic meter is full. Impa is less impressive without her clones, but there's no reason why you would ever be without them if there are plenty enemies around. Link with the Master Sword with full health is also up there, obviously.

Also I carried over 20 levels from the demo version, so I likely had a head start. This game is lots of fun, haven't put it down much since I started playing.
ive found everyone so fun to play as. except revali who i havent played as

i carried my stuff over from the demo as well but i didnt do as much grinding

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
ive found everyone so fun to play as. except revali who i havent played as

i carried my stuff over from the demo as well but i didnt do as much grinding
I like Mipha way more in this game honestly. She seemed not to really embody the warrior part in BotW, but this game made that right. She's very fun to play as, even if I don't use her that often.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But I thought it was canon since it explains a bit about Link's past 100 years before the events of Breath of the Wild. Did Aonuma come out and confirmed it wasn't canon or what?
well certain events in the game cant fit into the established canon

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Considering BotW barely fit in the Zelda timeline as is...

Maybe the Zelda folks just kinda gave up on keeping a timeline?
🙄🙄🙄
Ohhhh Nintendo...

'Lets make a Zelda game set at last 10.000 years in the future of the established "time line", that will do! What do we need 3 timelines for anyway?'

Nintendo after BotW:

'Hey, let's make a prequel, but with time traveling ****!!!'

I love Age of Calamity, don't get me wrong! In a way the story in AoC makes more sense to me than whatever was supposed to be happening before BotW but I really can't take the story writing in this franchise seriously anymore.

Might as wel just lose all sense of established canon and make a Zelda game where Link is a cyborg and the Master Sword is a half chainsaw half shotgun, Zelda is a call girl, and Ganon is a crumpy old jealous alcoholic lumberjack with an obsession of gaining power.

Having the good guys win in the end is satisfaction by itself anyway. I wasn't too keen on seeing the Champions die on screen honestly. Personally I hope they can keep the same cast of Link, Zelda, Impa and the Champions for future spin offs. It's a very well balanced cast of lovable characters after all.

Also, Impa definitely had the best cutscene quotes.☕

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, something dawned on me.

It's Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. If it was an actual prequel to Breath of the Wild, it would have been something like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: Age of Calamity instead. Basically, KT have turned HW into their own series, with BOTW's backstory as a sort of follow-up to the first one.

Although considering how KT's Zelda concepts and creations currently aren't in Ultimate for no apparent reason, that doesn't exactly bode well for Impa/Champions' chances...

suppose we shouldnt be surprised, nintendo isnt normally bothered by canon
It's really just on Aonuma. The guy just has to overthink everything, though it seems that he didn't have any direct involvement with this title at all (Nintendo supervision amounted to making sure the designs are visually consistent). Meanwhile, third-parties like KT and Brace Yourself Games don't worry about any of that and just do whatever they want, regardless of compatibility.

In any case, it does at least show how much Nintendo are on good terms with third-parties when they allow them to mess with the "formula" of one of their big series.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's really just on Aonuma. The guy just has to overthink everything, though it seems that he didn't have any direct involvement with this title at all (Nintendo supervision amounted to making sure the designs are visually consistent). Meanwhile, third-parties like KT and Brace Yourself Games don't worry about any of that and just do whatever they want, regardless of compatibility.
well you look at most of nintendo series, mario, kirby, pokemon, animal crossing etc theyre not that really that bothered about everything being connected outside of nostalgia

Lenidem

Smash Lord
So, I tried the demo yesterday. And while the game looks good, I kinda feel we were cheated when they promoted it as "live the battles that happened a hundred years ago!"
From the very first scene, there is a timeline alteration?! So we only see some alternate version of the past? That's not honest marketing at all! And I don't know if it's the translation, but the cutscene says this small sheikah-R2D2 traveled back in time to save Zelda... except... Zelda is fine... actually, she's one of the few survivors! If its mission was to save the king or the Champions, that would make some sense. Also, I guess the answer is no, but do we have an explanation of how it went back in time? Is this thing the new hero of time or something?

So yeah, not to bring everyone's spirit down, but I'm really disappointed with the story, and yet I was not expecting much.

Edit. I only finished the second mission, but so far it seems that the time-travel is nothing but a cheap excuse to have a happy ending. Zelda and co. discover the pictures of a destroyed castle and city and come to the conclusion that the precautions they've taken so far are not enough. So they decide to: retreive the master sword, activate the divine beasts, and find a way to awaken Zelda's sealing power... which is exactly what they did in the original story, no more, no less! So what the hell?

Does the story become better later?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nintendo might not have been too involved with the designs of move sets and what not, but I'm sure Koei Tecmo must've played some BotW for inspiration. Wasn't Nintendo also heavily involved around the story and everything?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo might not have been too involved with the designs of move sets and what not, but I'm sure Koei Tecmo must've played some BotW for inspiration. Wasn't Nintendo also heavily involved around the story and everything?
that is what they said when they announced it

Top Bottom