• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Comparison shots.

So are Purah's glasses for reading? It's funny to me that her child self wears them all the time as if they are for distance, while adult Purah has them on top of her head. It reminds me of those professors that are so excited about their subject that they completely lose track of their glasses every lecture and have to spend a minute searching for them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So are Purah's glasses for reading? It's funny to me that her child self wears them all the time as if they are for distance, while adult Purah has them on top of her head. It reminds me of those professors that are so excited about their subject that they completely lose track of their glasses every lecture and have to spend a minute searching for them.
sometimes people need to take their glasses off the read things

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think they had her with her glasses up to make her look more "attractive". Which I find odd. Girls that wear glasses still look attractive.

Robbie isn't what I expected. That hair style is an odd fit for him in my opinion. But I'll get used to it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Those Robbie and Purah designs rock. Not sure if they're gonna be playable, my guess is yes though. My first observation is how young "old" Robbie looks in BotW, especially compared with Impa. He's brimming and full of energy and life, whilst Impa.. well, not all that much. All has been forgiven though! Cause we know for sure Impa is playable.

And I keep on wanting these Sheikah to appear as their young selves again in BotW2. I've said it 1000 times before, but the anti aging rune of Purah could be used for this. I mean, why not? Wouldn't it be sad if Link and Zelda where to be all alone, in a new Hyrule that has passed 100 years? Nintendo is about feel good vibes all the time, so I still hope we see young Impa in BotW2.

Also glasses don't make a woman less attractive to me.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
A little disappointing that we didn't get to see Robbie and Purah gameplay. Since we got the less than a minute footage of them; I was hoping it was a teaser for their gameplay.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Footage of Impa gameplay, along with BOTW Zelda and Urbosa as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Those Robbie and Purah designs rock. Not sure if they're gonna be playable, my guess is yes though. My first observation is how young "old" Robbie looks in BotW, especially compared with Impa. He's brimming and full of energy and life, whilst Impa.. well, not all that much. All has been forgiven though! Cause we know for sure Impa is playable.

And I keep on wanting these Sheikah to appear as their young selves again in BotW2. I've said it 1000 times before, but the anti aging rune of Purah could be used for this. I mean, why not? Wouldn't it be sad if Link and Zelda where to be all alone, in a new Hyrule that has passed 100 years? Nintendo is about feel good vibes all the time, so I still hope we see young Impa in BotW2.

Also glasses don't make a woman less attractive to me.
I swear, if young Impa shows up in BOTW2 she is a lock for Smash or at least for the next Smash if not Ultimate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also don't think they're gonna be playable right away, but with DLC. I don't think we'll see Kass either for the same reasons. Am thinking that we won't see as many playable characters in general, because Age of Calamity is story heavy, and there's but a few good prospects in the world of Hyrule in BotW compared to what the first Hyrule Warriors had. It helps the first game also wasn't all that story heavy. And it had loads of DLC.

Am also now more convinced I'll mostly be maining Impa, Link and Urbosa in Age of Calamity. But what am thinking is that you'll have to use specific characters under specific circumstances in this game. That there isn't all that much of a choice most of the time in whom you get to use and when.

Impa using a frog is cute. Suits her design. She seems to have a real dynamic moveset. The most fun of all I certainly think. She also gets a lot of attention. And next year is also Zelda's anniversary. I just remembered that and thought to myself that Impa is quite likely therefore. Maybe she'll be coupled with new costumes for the Zelda cast. Knight Link, BotW Zelda, Zombie Ganondorf maybe even?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could see some DLC campaigns with extra story maps, unlocking different types of weapons for the main cast too.

Link had tons of different weapons in Hyrule Warriors, I won't expect that many this time. But some might return.

Zelda can have the royal rapier, or the Bow of Light from BotW. Both would make a lot of sense. The Harp Sheik used in HW could be used too.

Impa logically the naginata. Fits her better than the Gaint Sword, especially this time.

Urbosa could get the Trident of Power it's a Gerudo relic after all.

Daruk could get the Ball and Chain, working like Link's weapon in HW.

Am not sure about the others, but these seem very reasonable.

Also it seems Impa is able to use the elemental Magic Rods of the Wizzrobe type enemies in BotW. That would make for a nice Special Move. Maybe Side Special? Double Clones as Down B, Up B obviously the Paraglider, Neutral B a Kunai projectile attack.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's actually quite odd there are no Impa amiibo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Then...if you feel this way... why should she be a character?
Age of Calamity gives her a major role. But I can't deny that before there wasn't much , we kinda lost track because Impa being old and frail in BotW was the most recent role.

Hyrule Warriors was a great base, and I think the first role already should've warranted her inclusion. However that moveset now would've been outdated with this new appearance, which is probably a more popular design and overall character.

Skyward Sword made her an established reoccurring character, and was a great role for her. But we have so much more now. Gone are the days of wishing her to be a Echo or Semi Clone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes but it has been a while since her last role before that.

Anyway, people belittle her role already saying she's not gonna be story important. But she's the very first character Link recruits, and she's gonna be the sole "survivor" same with Zelda. She is bound to have a very strong role in this game

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Impa has always been a relevant character, but the role she plays is pretty different in each game. Sometimes she's an old woman, sometimes she's fat, and sometimes she's a badass warrior or ninja. She was also a sage in both OoT and ALBW. The only consistent part of her character is her being Zelda's advisor and/or protector.

However, she seems to have been steadily becoming a more important character as the series progresses. Just compare her role in Ocarina of Time (not really much of a role besides just being one of the sages) to Skyward Sword (arguably just as relevant as Zelda herself). And it looks like she'll be a main character in Age of Calamity too.

If things continue at this rate, even if she doesn't make the cut for Ultimate DLC (we can hope tho), she's definitely gonna be a prime candidate for a potential Smash 6.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
I think Ultimate needs Impa, I support.
Impa is more legitimate than Sheik
When we talk about Sakurai being able to create gameplay from scratch, we think a lot about Captain Falcon first and then other Fighters. Me, I think about Sheik: she's the character completely illegitimate in my eyes because she appears little and doesn't fight in the original game The Ocarnia of Time, exept on 1 artwork that lies. So, I think the Sheik's mentor would be legitimate to become a Fighter, even in paid DLC thanks to Hyrrule Warriors 2.

lie.png

The 6 TLoZ Fighters are all chosen from the Triforce. In Smash Bros, the sheikah Fighter possesses the Triforce of Wisdom. But, I think a real sheikah should have a whole different role than owning part of the Triforce. The sheikha are the eye that watches over the 3 triangles. In my opinion, Impa's place would therefore be like the eye under the Triforce, or like the central triangle in the shadow: the "4th" TloZ rep.

Only 1 Spirit isn't enough
There is only one Spirit of Impa in Ultimate, but there are several Impa. 5/11 Impa are now 'young' and agile (with Cadence of Hyrule). 2 of them are from Hyrule Warriors!

Team Ninja touch
To have a unique, original and fun Impa, I think it could come from a partnership in the shadows, in all subtlety and discretion. I think Hyrule Warriors 2 Impa would be perfect to represent the alliance between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo, rather than the very popular Ryu Hayabusa, and that it should have a "Team Ninja touch". Thus, Impa could have original gameplay with possibly advanced ninja techniques, and doesn't need a sword for her identity.

Impa because Ryu Hayabusa has obstacles
So, according to this view (likely or not), Impa and Ryu Hayabusa would be in competition.
• No gore – I know M-rated and bad-ass games don't have a problem coming into Smash, but DOOM and Ninja Gaiden are special about being gore, and that means a lot to me: their exclusion. On the one hand, the Vault Boy Costume has just been chosen to represent Bethesda; on the other, the absence of Koei Tecmo is more and more noticeable. I think Impa, with a Team Ninja touch, would be ideal for good boys and good girls to represent Koei Tecmo by this touch.
• Recent & promotionalSmash tend to have characters from older series. But just old characters wouldn’t make Smash worthy (source). Inklings and Min-Min are from recent series. Hyrule Warriors has just become a recent 'series'.
• Better sales chances – I think Impa would sell better than a Koei-Tecmo rep, and that it would sell a little better with this marketing aspect of having Koei-Tecmo touch.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Ultimate needs Impa, I support.
Impa is more legitimate than Sheik
When we talk about Sakurai being able to create gameplay from scratch, we think a lot about Captain Falcon first and then other Fighters. Me, I think about Sheik: she's the character completely illegitimate in my eyes because she appears little and doesn't fight in the original game The Ocarnia of Time, exept on 1 artwork that lies. So, I think the Sheik's mentor would be legitimate to become a Fighter, even in paid DLC thanks to Hyrrule Warriors 2.

View attachment 288853

The 6 TLoZ Fighters are all chosen from the Triforce. In Smash Bros, the sheikah Fighter possesses the Triforce of Wisdom. But, I think a real sheikah should have a whole different role than owning part of the Triforce. The sheikha are the eye that watches over the 3 triangles. In my opinion, Impa's place would therefore be like the eye under the Triforce, or like the central triangle in the shadow: the "4th" TloZ rep.

Only 1 Spirit isn't enough
There is only one Spirit of Impa in Ultimate, but there are several Impa. 5/11 Impa are now 'young' and agile (with Cadence of Hyrule). 2 of them are from Hyrule Warriors!

Team Ninja touch
To have a unique, original and fun Impa, I think it could come from a partnership in the shadows, in all subtlety and discretion. I think Hyrule Warriors 2 Impa would be perfect to represent the alliance between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo, rather than the very popular Ryu Hayabusa, and that it should have a "Team Ninja touch". Thus, Impa could have original gameplay with possibly advanced ninja techniques, and doesn't need a sword for her identity.

Impa because Ryu Hayabusa has obstacles
So, according to this view (likely or not), Impa and Ryu Hayabusa would be in competition.
• No gore – I know M-rated and bad-ass games don't have a problem coming into Smash, but DOOM and Ninja Gaiden are special about being gore, and that means a lot to me: their exclusion. On the one hand, the Vault Boy Costume has just been chosen to represent Bethesda; on the other, the absence of Koei Tecmo is more and more noticeable. I think Impa, with a Team Ninja touch, would be ideal for good boys and good girls to represent Koei Tecmo by this touch.
• Recent & promotionalSmash tend to have characters from older series. But just old characters wouldn’t make Smash worthy (source). Inklings and Min-Min are from recent series. Hyrule Warriors has just become a recent 'series'.
• Better sales chances – I think Impa would sell better than a Koei-Tecmo rep, and that it would sell a little better with this marketing aspect of having Koei-Tecmo touch.
im not sure we could really say that two characters from separate series and companies would really be in competition with each other.

even if they were you could always argue the fact that they wouldnt need to pay a licence fee to use impa as a positive

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa has always been a relevant character, but the role she plays is pretty different in each game. Sometimes she's an old woman, sometimes she's fat, and sometimes she's a badass warrior or ninja. She was also a sage in both OoT and ALBW. The only consistent part of her character is her being Zelda's advisor and/or protector.

However, she seems to have been steadily becoming a more important character as the series progresses. Just compare her role in Ocarina of Time (not really much of a role besides just being one of the sages) to Skyward Sword (arguably just as relevant as Zelda herself). And it looks like she'll be a main character in Age of Calamity too.

If things continue at this rate, even if she doesn't make the cut for Ultimate DLC (we can hope tho), she's definitely gonna be a prime candidate for a potential Smash 6.
Honestly, the "Impa has a different role every time" is a fad that I personally want to die. Impa does have some certain characteristics that are staple, for once, her being a Sheikah and closely connected to Hylia / Zelda / Royal Family. That's a staple now. Impa won't appear as a non-Sheikah, she only did in ALBW because well, ALttP also didn't have Sheikah in it, and ALBW was more or less a reimagined ALttP. Or something. Impa was also just fat one time, by a game that Capcom made. Shouldn't count.

Impa is the leader of the Sheikah in 4 games; Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors. All these games also feature her as protector or close ally of Zelda, and the Royal Family. Breath of the Wild less so, but we'll see with Age of Calamity, which I didn't even count yet. Safe for BotW, she's also a strong warrior capable of defending herself against villains, Skyward Sword Impa took in Ghirahim, twice, OoT Impa successfully fled with Zelda out of Ganondorf's reach and faced Bongo Bongo, and we'll Hyrule Warriors Impa is captain of the Knights of Hyrule.

She has enough. I don't even wanna talk about her old appearances. Age of Calamity features Impa as young, and with a way bigger role than in BotW.

Impa is a complete character with her own distinct abilities and role. I don't accept the "different look / role" excuse any more. Age of Calamity sets it straight completely. If I was moderator or admin, I'd give warnings to everyone saying these things.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the "Impa has a different role every time" is a fad that I personally want to die. Impa does have some certain characteristics that are staple, for once, her being a Sheikah and closely connected to Hylia / Zelda / Royal Family. That's a staple now. Impa won't appear as a non-Sheikah, she only did in ALBW because well, ALttP also didn't have Sheikah in it, and ALBW was more or less a reimagined ALttP. Or something. Impa was also just fat one time, by a game that Capcom made. Shouldn't count.

Impa is the leader of the Sheikah in 4 games; Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors. All these games also feature her as protector or close ally of Zelda, and the Royal Family. Breath of the Wild less so, but we'll see with Age of Calamity, which I didn't even count yet. Safe for BotW, she's also a strong warrior capable of defending herself against villains, Skyward Sword Impa took in Ghirahim, twice, OoT Impa successfully fled with Zelda out of Ganondorf's reach and faced Bongo Bongo, and we'll Hyrule Warriors Impa is captain of the Knights of Hyrule.

She has enough. I don't even wanna talk about her old appearances. Age of Calamity features Impa as young, and with a way bigger role than in BotW.

Impa is a complete character with her own distinct abilities and role. I don't accept the "different look / role" excuse any more. Age of Calamity sets it straight completely. If I was moderator or admin, I'd give warnings to everyone saying these things.
Whoa, calm down, I wasn't trying to start an argument. I wasn't trying to downplay her by saying that she's not the most consistent character. I was trying to explain how far her character has come since the beginning of the series. Sorry if it came across that way. But still, take a chill pill.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whoa, calm down, I wasn't trying to start an argument. I wasn't trying to downplay her by saying that she's not the most consistent character. I was trying to explain how far her character has come since the beginning of the series. Sorry if it came across that way. But still, take a chill pill.
I wasn't attacking you personally. But I do admit, am tired of hearing it now. I didn't mean to come off as aggressive, at least not towards you as a personal attack. I can get kinda ... passionate about things.

Top Bottom