• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If I had the choice between no Impa and OoT Impa, I would chose to not have her in at all. That design is absolutely horrible, but they already chose that one for her Spirit.
I like Ocarina of Time Impa, but retrospectively. When I played OoT first when I was about 9, I always thought she was a man. I can appriciate her more because of Hyrule Warriors, and HW Impa having a mixture of designs of OoT and SS. I also imagine Impa from Breath of the Wild would resemble OoT the most in her younger years. Probably waaaay less tall and buff however. I think I would actually take Ocarina of Time Impa over no Impa, because OoT Impa would bring some much needed power to Sheik's moveset as a Echo.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So have ya'll heard the DLC rumor?

According to a leaker backed by Vergeben (the big leaker for Ultimate) the 5 DLC characters will be Steve from Minecraft, a Dragon Quest Character, Katalina from the JP mobile game Granblue, a Western character not from Bethesda, and a Nintendo character that wields a sword. She didn't know who the sword wielder was by looking. Maybe Impa? Could be too obscure for non-Zelda fans to recognize. Thoughts? Could all be fake tbh, but maybe. She could come with Hyrule Warrior music and a stage

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So have ya'll heard the DLC rumor?

According to a leaker backed by Vergeben (the big leaker for Ultimate) the 5 DLC characters will be Steve from Minecraft, a Dragon Quest Character, Katalina from the JP mobile game Granblue, a Western character not from Bethesda, and a Nintendo character that wields a sword. She didn't know who the sword wielder was by looking. Maybe Impa? Could be too obscure for non-Zelda fans to recognize. Thoughts? Could all be fake tbh, but maybe. She could come with Hyrule Warrior music and a stage
considering from what i hear they back tracking on granblue, i wouldnt put any stock in it

LittleWolf417

Smash Rookie
I tried making my own thread for this but i thought this belonged here
Entrance: her coming out of the gate of time
Jab: a 4 hit combo with her naginata spear. Dash attack: a wide slash with her giant blade.

Forward tilt: a slash with an eightfold blade. Up tilt: points the eightfold blade upwards. Down tilt: sweeps with the eightfold blade.

Neutral air: spins with a water sword. Forward air: parries a water sword forward. Up air: swings a water sword upwards. Back air: parries a water sword backwards.

Neutral B: throws a water ball that traps opponents allowing her to perform combos while they're trapped. Up B: rise attacks with her giant blade then rolls with it downwards . Side B: throws water daggers Down B: uses her shield that she used to protect Zelda from Ghirahim that also acts as a reflector.

Forward smash: swings her giant blade horizontally. Up smash: swings her giant blade upwards. Down smash: swings the giant blade downwards.

Her throws can be the same as sheik's.

Final smash: her special from Hyrule Warriors where she summons giant naginatas that smash her opponents all at once.

Since we're mixing timelines in ultimate anyway why don't we have Impa represent the first game in the timeline and put her in her skyward sword outfit but with her hyrule warriors proportions so that she's not as lanky looking

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Welcome to the shrine young grasshoper of speculation. Welcome to the spiritual home of Impa's speculative chances in the upcoming Smash Bros. for Switch.

Impa was unfortunately not lucky enough to make it into Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS, however she has made a few more apperances since and has grown more into the hearts of speculators and Smashers alike.

Whilst I innitually supported Impa as a new character in Smash 4 in her Skyward Sword attire, right now am more flexibile with her support as she could also hail from Hyrule Warriors. Which would in fact make her a more unique character compared to the veteran Sheikah of Smash Bros. ; Sheik. :4sheik:

She could in fact, become a alternative character to Sheik, and I do support that idea to as long as she makes the roster. But I could see her making the roster on her own as a representative of Hyrule Warriors. As that game also became quite popular, and was released on the same exact platforms as Smash did.

- Is that the Eye of Horus, the Pineal Gland? Illuminati? No, that's the Sheikah symbol.

Impa from Skyward Sword had a tragic ride during the speculation era of Smash 4, but all is not lost. As Skyward Sword could potentially be rendered to HD, much like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. As the producer of Zelda says, it's definitely possible. http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/14/zelda-producer-on-skyward-sword-hd-its-definitely-possible

She also made an apperance in the Wii U version as a throphy stating her combat skills are similar to the likes of even Ghirahim:

So, guess now we're back and running again! I'll add a list of supporters as soon as this thread catches the eyes of speculators. As for now, I do think Impa is still the only real likely candidate for Smash Bros. from the Zelda franchise, if only as an alternative to Sheik. As it stands now, I think only Midna seems to give her some sort of concurrence.

As for abilities that would set her appart from Sheik, cause I know detractors are gonna watch here too:

-Magical skills; a magical orb attack that could be used as a projectile and is strong enough to destroy a Gate of Time in Skyward Sword. Her time traveling nature also could be incorperated into her moveset. As can Timeshift Stones, an important aspect of Skyward Sword. They also could with some liberty, take from the Sheikah items and runes from Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. She's also able to manipulate water or fire elements depending on her weapon of choice in Hyrule Warriors.
-A protective barrier; as shown in one of the more important cutscenes in Skyward Sword, Impa is able to ward of attacks for a longer period of time with her barrier from Ghirahim's fury attacks, but breaks after a while leaving her vurnable for attacks.
-Her weapons from Hyrule Warriors; the infamous two-handed sword from Ocarina of Time: The Biggoron Sword, and the Naginata, a spear-like weapon. Anyone who has played or watched Hyrule Warriors gameplay would know what's up.
-The Deku Nuts, the infamous weapons from Ocarina of Time meant to stun enemies. Also was an item in Brawl.
-Sheik's old moves hailing from her Melee and Brawl movesets, namely the Chain and her old Forward Aerial attack.. Hey, it's something!
I've been on a support-adding spree, but this is all genuine support. You can count me as a supporter!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dunno how likely a zelda character is for dlc, but then again someone from a big franchise should sell like hotcakes.
And Impa's the best choice :D

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's been rumors and a fake-leak about Impa ever since I last posted. So that's "good news" I think, because Impa is at least on people's minds. Also apperantly a leaker trusted by Vergeben said a Nintendo character weilding a sword is one of the 5 DLC characters. Which is a good thing for Impa, because there aren't all that many left which fill this criteria. Anyway, these things aside, obviously there's no news yet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There's been rumors and a fake-leak about Impa ever since I last posted. So that's "good news" I think, because Impa is at least on people's minds. Also apperantly a leaker trusted by Vergeben said a Nintendo character weilding a sword is one of the 5 DLC characters. Which is a good thing for Impa, because there aren't all that many left which fill this criteria. Anyway, these things aside, obviously there's no news yet.
i think the nintendo sword wielder came from someone else

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
It was already debunked.

But hey, if Nintendo wants to promote Zelda by giving them a DLC character, well, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Midna, and Tingle are all out of the running, soooo victory by default!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It was already debunked.

But hey, if Nintendo wants to promote Zelda by giving them a DLC character, well, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Midna, and Tingle are all out of the running, soooo victory by default!
well no cause theres a ton of other potential characters

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
i think piranha plant proves, anyone they want
Come on. Piranah Plant is a purchase bonus. Free DLC for most people.

Nintendo wants to make money with the paid DLC. They will not pick random mooks unless they wear a bandana and carry a spear

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Come on. Piranah Plant is a purchase bonus. Free DLC for most people.

Nintendo wants to make money with the paid DLC. They will not pick random mooks unless they wear a bandana and carry a spear
ok first of all bandana waddle dee has never been a mook, also there are loads of popular zelda characters who could work and would probably drum up sales, groose, tetra, king daphnes, linkle, cia, lana, volga, wizzro, demise, fi, zant, sidon, riju, goron link, zora link, deku link, ravio, hilda, yuga, majora's other forms, linebeck to name a few

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
ok first of all bandana waddle dee has never been a mook, also there are loads of popular zelda characters who could work and would probably drum up sales, groose, tetra, king daphnes, linkle, cia, lana, volga, wizzro, demise, fi, zant, sidon, riju, goron link, zora link, deku link, ravio, hilda, yuga, majora's other forms, linebeck to name a few
First of all, I know Bandana Dee isn’t a mook it was a joke.

Second of all, Groose? That’s the first character you listed. Now I loved Groose with all my heart but he is not on the same level as Cloud or Corrin in terms of what would sell like hot cakes / what would promote new or upcoming games. Some you listed like Tetra, sure, but others like Hilda? Maybe as an echo

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It was already debunked.

Pretty much so yes. :ultzelda: also really seems to be a mixture of designs of classic mature Zelda and Toon Zelda as well, so Toon Zelda is probably out of the running as well.

It's a real shame however, we face almost 0,0% opposition but still our chances are rather bleak. It's just so that Zelda will probably not get a new playable character before Impa really gets a sort of co-lead appearance in a mainline Zelda game like she did in Hyrule Warriors. It's a shame that Hyrule Warriors alone didn't cut it for her, same how Dixie being in Tropical Freeze didn't cut it for her either, and Bandana Dee's continuous appearances also didn't cut it for him...

Piranha Plant however? :ultpiranha: That won't let them put in random mooks like Dark Nut, Bokoblin or Oktorok though. Guess it only really works with Mario drones because they are easily the most famous. There would be quite a lot of people who would recognise Piranha Plant over 80% of the Smash roster. Piranha Plant also enjoys more fame than Impa for example. So I can't be mad at it, and I don't think the other 5 DLC characters will be as WTF as Piranha Plan either.

All we can hope for is that Sakurai is secretly planning a few DLC Echo characters as well, and that Impa will be revealed as a Echo of Sheik whenever Skyward Sword HD happens. Which might take a long time, because they game isn't exactly popular. I just wish we could've gotten Breath of the Wild's expansive gameplay and exploration with Skyward Sword's story. That way, Impa was probably already in the main game. I knew from my heart when I saw Impa's design in Breath of the Wild that we would miss out on this Smash... Guess I was right </3

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
First of all, I know Bandana Dee isn’t a mook it was a joke.

Second of all, Groose? That’s the first character you listed. Now I loved Groose with all my heart but he is not on the same level as Cloud or Corrin in terms of what would sell like hot cakes / what would promote new or upcoming games. Some you listed like Tetra, sure, but others like Hilda? Maybe as an echo
firstly no character has ever been included for the purposes of promotion, secondly from what ive heard corrin did the worst out of the dlc characters so not a good example even then he still probably did well enough seeing as there are a lot people who buy them all just for the sake of having a full roster

frankly you could argue that impa would as sell as well as cloud (i would hope shed out do corrin) but we have no way of knowing that none of those characters wouldnt also do quite well, the characters i listed were all ones ive seen to be quite popular among the zelda fandom and you cant rule a character out just cause theyre a natural choice for an echo cause any character could be unique if they wanted to

the point is when it comes to smash you cant rule anyone out (well video game characters anyway) as most arguments ive seen against characters have been broken apart from having never appeared on a nintendo console

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
firstly no character has ever been included for the purposes of promotion, secondly from what ive heard corrin did the worst out of the dlc characters so not a good example even then he still probably did well enough seeing as there are a lot people who buy them all just for the sake of having a full roster

frankly you could argue that impa would as sell as well as cloud (i would hope shed out do corrin) but we have no way of knowing that none of those characters wouldnt also do quite well, the characters i listed were all ones ive seen to be quite popular among the zelda fandom and you cant rule a character out just cause theyre a natural choice for an echo cause any character could be unique if they wanted to

the point is when it comes to smash you cant rule anyone out (well video game characters anyway) as most arguments ive seen against characters have been broken apart from having never appeared on a nintendo console
Corrin was definitely chosen to promote FE. 100%. Fates wasn’t even out in the states yet.

And I know any character could unique (I never said otherwise). But some just won’t be. If Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus are stuck as echoes then no way Hilda of all characters is gonna be unique. She’s literally Zelda with purple hair. The ultimate echo choice.

And I don’t think Impa would sell nearly as much as Cloud but I do think she’s more recognizable than almost all the characters you mentioned due to playing big roles in OoT, SS, BoTW, HW, and other games. And recognizability is huge for Smash

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Corrin was definitely chosen to promote FE. 100%. Fates wasn’t even out in the states yet.

And I know any character could unique (I never said otherwise). But some just won’t be. If Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus are stuck as echoes then no way Hilda of all characters is gonna be unique. She’s literally Zelda with purple hair. The ultimate echo choice.

And I don’t think Impa would sell nearly as much as Cloud but I do think she’s more recognizable than almost all the characters you mentioned due to playing big roles in OoT, SS, BoTW, HW, and other games. And recognizability is huge for Smash
corrin was put in due to the smash team begging sakurai to included him due them all having been plating fates at the time nothing to do with the games release

recognition only goes so far as we have characters way less recognisable than the big names in the game, some of their renown probably comes from smash

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
corrin was put in due to the smash team begging sakurai to included him due them all having been plating fates at the time nothing to do with the games release

recognition only goes so far as we have characters way less recognisable than the big names in the game, some of their renown probably comes from smash
Look at Smash 4 DLC characters. We’ve got Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin. 3 returning vets, which are hype machines (that’s why Ultimate exists), 3 big third party characters, and one promotional pick (sorry but if you think Corrin wasn’t added at least partly to hype up Fates then idk).

The first 6 would guaranteed be big sellers because vet and 3rd Party. Adding someone like Groose or Goron Link would not make sense. They will probably never be seen again since Zelda likes it’s one-offs. But guess who isn’t a one off that will most likely be in later games, and is on two Switch Zelda games, even being the 2nd playable character in one?

Impa could boost HW sales and promote future Zelda titles at the same time (not that they need promoting, but still), while making Smash and Nintendo big bucks (not as big as Cloud admittedly though)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Look at Smash 4 DLC characters. We’ve got Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin. 3 returning vets, which are hype machines (that’s why Ultimate exists), 3 big third party characters, and one promotional pick (sorry but if you think Corrin wasn’t added at least partly to hype up Fates then idk).

The first 6 would guaranteed be big sellers because vet and 3rd Party. Adding someone like Groose or Goron Link would not make sense. They will probably never be seen again since Zelda likes it’s one-offs. But guess who isn’t a one off that will most likely be in later games, and is on two Switch Zelda games, even being the 2nd playable character in one?

Impa could boost HW sales and promote future Zelda titles at the same time (not that they need promoting, but still), while making Smash and Nintendo big bucks (not as big as Cloud admittedly though)
well theres has never been any thing that said corrin was included for the purposes of promotion thats a fan assumption

and by youre own logic several of the characters could be used to boost sales of HW or to promote a future game they could decide decide to bring them back we cant even be sure theyd bring back impa

impa is a popular character who undoubtedly sell quite well but that doesnt automatically grant her a place over other characters (look what happened to isaac)

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
well theres has never been any thing that said corrin was included for the purposes of promotion thats a fan assumption

and by youre own logic several of the characters could be used to boost sales of HW or to promote a future game they could decide decide to bring them back we cant even be sure theyd bring back impa

impa is a popular character who undoubtedly sell quite well but that doesnt automatically grant her a place over other characters (look what happened to isaac)
>You're right. No one at Nintendo specifically said "Hey everyone, here's our newest DLC character, we only put them in so more people will buy Fates. Please buy this character for Smash too!"

>Not to degrade any characters, but if Sakurai and Nintendo deemed Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Midna, Tingle, and (hypothetically) Impa as not big enough to get into Smash, why would they add Lana or Groose or Linebeck? At least the other characters might be familiar to people who don't play Zelda.

>This is true

I always like Smash debate, but this one is starting to go in circles, so I won't derail the thread anymore after this reply

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
>You're right. No one at Nintendo specifically said "Hey everyone, here's our newest DLC character, we only put them in so more people will buy Fates. Please buy this character for Smash too!"

>Not to degrade any characters, but if Sakurai and Nintendo deemed Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Midna, Tingle, and (hypothetically) Impa as not big enough to get into Smash, why would they add Lana or Groose or Linebeck? At least the other characters might be familiar to people who don't play Zelda.

>This is true

I always like Smash debate, but this one is starting to go in circles, so I won't derail the thread anymore after this reply
fair enough but one last point who we consider big enough and who the smash team consider big enough arent going to be same

Evanpik64

Smash Cadet
Surprised nobody here has mentioned the potential Skyward Sword Port teased by Eiji Aonuma yet. A 2019 port of Skyward sword would line up perfectly for Impa to be included as DLC for promotional purposes.

Not only that but Impa would also retroactively promote Hyrule Warriors definitive Edition and maybe even BOTW.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Surprised nobody here has mentioned the potential Skyward Sword Port teased by Eiji Aonuma yet. A 2019 port of Skyward sword would line up perfectly for Impa to be included as DLC for promotional purposes.

Not only that but Impa would also retroactively promote Hyrule Warriors definitive Edition and maybe even BOTW.
Just saw the articles about it. I am hyped. I always loved that game but hated the controls. A switch port would be amazing.

It might improve Impa’s chances, but if not I’m just happy the Zelda game with the most Impa will be exposes to more people

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So as far as DLC goes, I’m pretty sure we’re getting a Zelda rep, and I’m also guessing it’s probably gonna be a female. Just looking at the cast of Hyrule Warriors shows me that the series really likes the “strong female who doesn’t take any crap” archetype; it makes sense to me at least.

To that end, my top three guesses are Impa, Urbosa and Linkle. If Impa’s DLC it would be a great opportunity to give her a unique fighting style based on HW rather than just an echo. I picked Urbosa because of BOTW’s popularity and Linkle because she’d make for an interesting twist in contrast to the other three Links we already have; I can see the smash team being able to diversify her moveset.

But extra echoes as free updates wouldn’t surprise me either and Impa and Hilda are pretty high on my list in that category. Based on my understanding of what Sakurai said I think he just wanted to reassure us that we weren’t paying good money for just echoes, rather than outright saying “no more echoes ever”.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm shocked I've never posted in this thread as I was a big Impa supporter for Smash 4 DLC. Didn't happen...she was in my top 10 echo character choices for Ultimate base didn't happen...now we hear that echoes are most likely done which IMO was Impa's best shot. In fact before we found out "EVERYONE IS HERE!" I was clamoring for Impa to replace Shiek entirely and just inherit her moveset maybe with a few changes. I will say Impa definitely has a chance of being unique and do support her as DLC (I want her Hyrule Warriors design). Because the more 1st party characters as DLC the better. In fact if 3/5 DLC characters are first party I will be completely satisfied with the DLC.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord

I just came on this thread hella late to talk about this. Is this still up in the air as a possibility for the Switch? This could be great for Impa. If we're getting a Skyward Sword HD, I'm very optimistic about her chances.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Disappointing. It is the only 3D Zelda to not get a remake (besides the new BoTW). It deserved one tbh.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So minor World of Light spoilers

The way Impa's incorporated into World of Light is really cool. You have to solve an over world puzzle, and then defeat her spirit, and once you defeat her you can unlock Zelda. So Impa is protecting Zelda. It's really cool, and ya'll probably know but I wanted to talk about it lol. Also, it's OoT Impa, not SS Impa, which is interesting. SS Impa is no where to be found.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So minor World of Light spoilers

The way Impa's incorporated into World of Light is really cool. You have to solve an over world puzzle, and then defeat her spirit, and once you defeat her you can unlock Zelda. So Impa is protecting Zelda. It's really cool, and ya'll probably know but I wanted to talk about it lol. Also, it's OoT Impa, not SS Impa, which is interesting. SS Impa is no where to be found.
i dont sakurai liked skyward sword

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
i dont sakurai liked skyward sword
There are SS spirits for Groose, Ghirahim, and many other characters. It’s just Sakurai went for her OoT design, maybe since it’s the first appearance of young Impa. But if spirits do deconfirm characters at least SS Impa is not out of the running, not matter how unlikely at this point. I don’t know why you think Sakurai has a bias against SS. Maybe he dislikes the controls like most people lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Back again around these parts. And damn.. there is no Skyward Sword Switch remake in the making? That really sucks... It was basically our biggest hope. I also got that one role of the World of Light, it's a cool reference but won't think much of it. What is the Spirit Battle like though? I haven't seen it yet myself.

Since the DLC characters need to be unique, our best bet for Impa would be when / if there's gonna be a Hyrule Warriors 2. If there's ever gonna be one. Kinda have low hopes for it honestly. Another chance is if there's gonna be a next Zelda game, and Impa has a strong role in that game too. And not quite confident in that either after Breath of the Wild, with a huge Sheikah theme but a rather forgetable role for Impa.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Back again around these parts. And damn.. there is no Skyward Sword Switch remake in the making? That really sucks... It was basically our biggest hope. I also got that one role of the World of Light, it's a cool reference but won't think much of it. What is the Spirit Battle like though? I haven't seen it yet myself.

Since the DLC characters need to be unique, our best bet for Impa would be when / if there's gonna be a Hyrule Warriors 2. If there's ever gonna be one. Kinda have low hopes for it honestly. Another chance is if there's gonna be a next Zelda game, and Impa has a strong role in that game too. And not quite confident in that either after Breath of the Wild, with a huge Sheikah theme but a rather forgetable role for Impa.
boy you really dont like botw impa

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
boy you really dont like botw impa
It's not that I don't like her. It's more the fact she totally ruined her upward momentum of having increasingly better roles in the franchise. Especially after Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild Impa was extremely underwhelming. The game had a huge Sheikah based theme, but Impa, the franchise's first and only real Sheik character at that point, was totally neglected and was just given the same old role as in the NES Zelda basically. If the roles of Impa where swapped between Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, Impa would be a newcomer now, and probably unique.

Top Bottom