• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
What could she borrow from Zelda and Link though?
Well, I can't say specifically. But surely she can borrow some magic elements from Zelda, perhaps some artillery from Link. Maybe some of Zelda's neutral game. Basically, I didn't want Impa to be a 1:1 Sheik echo because they move so differently. Sheik is very crouched and sporadic, where Impa always came across to me as much more stoic and graceful in her movements. Knowing that Impa can have a different stance/moves and still be considered an echo (ala Dark Samus/Chrom) makes me more excited about the possibility.

Of course a unique fighter would always be best, considering there are soooo many games that Impa could pull from to form a fun and unique moveset. But that seems unlikely, so an echo might be a goal worth aiming for.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What could she borrow from Zelda and Link though?
From Link, possibly the Remote Bombs. But without using the Sheikah Slate. Zelda? I think Din's Fire but with blue fire could be a option, and it be called Hylia's Fire or something. Shadow Sneak of Greninja also fits Impa well. Time will tell... And am honestly more confident than ever about her now. Impa wasn't a lesser request than Dark Samus or Chrom, or even Daisy. And even a newcomer as Simon Belmont gets a Echo with Richter. We're also very lucky that Sheik is a rather popular character.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Impa was my smash ballot vote back in the day and I'm still holding onto hope. She's got lotsa potential for an original moveset but realistically a Sheik echo is her best bet. This would still be fantastic and it's looking like she has genuine chance as there's very likely gonna be a few more echoes announced before release.
In terms of her playstyle, I don't think they'd change her weight or speed compared to Sheik though, as far as I'm aware none of the other echoes have different weight/ speed properties and characters who have different weights, speeds etc (like Pikachu and pichu) aren't considered echo fighters. Instead I'd love to see some of her moves changed with different properties - this does seem to be possible for echo fighters seen as Chrom has aether which Roy doesn't. For example:
Neutral B - magic bomb - this would be a nice nod to her SS appearance and could look like link's bomb except it's smaller and detonates after a few seconds rather than being remote detonated.
Side B - deku nut - throws it out like shiek's burst grenade but it always explodes 1/2 a second after throwing. Impa is free to move as soon as she throws it unlike sheik. The deku nut temporarily stuns opponents (like ZSS plasma gun) but does less damage than the burst grenade.
Up B - teleport - same move as sheik's but with BotW Yiga teleport animations instead.
Down B - Bouncing fish - same a Sheik
Final Smash - Eightfold naginata blade strike from HW
I'd also like to see her use the eightfold blade for her usual attacks. This would be purely an aesthetic change so wouldn't change the range of her attacks but would be a nice nod to BoTW. Personally I think her HW look is the most eye catching so would love her to take this look. This is just an idea of course, even if she was an exact clone from sheik except with a different appearance and voice that would still be beautiful!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Impa (ideally Skyward Sword, probably echo) and Skull Kid, that would be near perfect Zelda representation.

As owner of the Skull Kid page (which has been getting crazy amount of attention lately), I suggest an alliance. I have no idea what that means but I think it's something threads use to do :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Impa (ideally Skyward Sword, probably echo) and Skull Kid, that would be near perfect Zelda representation.

As owner of the Skull Kid page (which has been getting crazy amount of attention lately), I suggest an alliance. I have no idea what that means but I think it's something threads use to do :p
id argue that near perfect zelda representation would every zelda character ever but thats just me

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
id argue that near perfect zelda representation would every zelda character ever but thats just me
If that's your idea of near perfect Zelda representation, I can't even imagine what the perfect representation looks like.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

I do agree, although it's always subjective. IMO the perfect representation would add Retro Ganon, Impa, a "one shot villain" (so Skull Kid in this case) and one of Link's companion (and Midna is the best candidate for that, although she is an assist now).

But that would make 10 characters, although there's a bunch of clones so... Let's start with Impa and Skull Kid.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I know chrom has aether, but I don’t think we should get too crazy with this. I’m thinking she’d get different animations, some minor changes to knockback trajectories, and an altered side b that more closely resembles her bomb from skyward sword.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I really hope Impa gets in, even if it means her becoming an Echo fighter of Sheik. Ideally, she would be a unique character but I don't think it's likely at all. Also, I'm hoping they adopt her Skyward Sword appearance rather than the Hyrule Warriors version because it's a far more appealing design to me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Am down with the Alliance, as am quite fond of the idea of idea of having Skull Kid in the game as well.
If that's your idea of near perfect Zelda representation, I can't even imagine what the perfect representation looks like.
To be honest, OG Ganon is quite a missing gap in the Zelda roster. But he's already represented with Ganondorf's Final Smash. :ultganondorf:

And well, the 4 Champions also would be welcome here. Breath of the Wild is easily one of my favorite games ever honestly even if I was quite dissapointed with Impa's role in the game innitially (it was enough to keep me away from the game for a while honestly).
I know chrom has aether, but I don’t think we should get too crazy with this. I’m thinking she’d get different animations, some minor changes to knockback trajectories, and an altered side b that more closely resembles her bomb from skyward sword.
I also expect Impa to be different from Sheik even if she's a Echo. She would probably have a total different stance, and I can imagine a few attacks being tweaked for Impa. Like the U Smash, F Air and Dash attack, it could use a bladed weapon attack with a very similar animation. The Eightfold Blade would be a good weapon for this indeed because it's short.

Or Impa straight up trades speed for range and power, that would be a nice way to compensate. Having buffs on Sheik's moveset is a scary prospect lol.

I like the moveset suggestions of chandy chandy but it might be a little too ambitious. I doubt a lot will change except the Burst Grenade (why would Sheik even have this attack anyway?) and yes the Sheikah Bombs seem quite a good replacement for them, or the Deku Nuts (which can use a similar animation anyway). For the Bouncing Fish, I always thought of the attack as a charge up attack for Impa, where she teleports for the animation, similar like Greninja's Shadow Sneak but whilst using Sheik's Bouncing Fish animation. This attack could even work for Hyrule Warriors' Impa, the attack could be done with the Giant Blade attached to Impa's hip giving this attack a huge range boost.

My old Echo-moveset for Impa was this:

Neutral B: Kunai Throw. A singular projectile of Impa throwing a single kunai with a similar animation to Sheik's Needle Storm. Simple but fast projectile that's good for zoning and dealign quick damage, and being a combo starter of sorts.

Side B: Deku Nut. Impa throws a Deku Nut that stuns enemies on impact. Does rather low damage, but great hitstun that allows for easy follow ups.

Alternative Side B: Magical Orb. Impa throws a magical orb attack similar to the one in a Skyward Sword cutscene that has a good blast range, and good damage, but is lacking in range. Can also be charged up slightly to increase range. Deals about 11~13%.

Up B: Vanish. Nothing different here.

Down B: Bouncing Fish, But Different ; Impa becomes invisible for this move, and can charge it up to gain power and a little distance. The attack is quite similar in concept to Meta Knight's Down B, and Greninja's Shadow Sneak, but with the animation of Sheik's Bouncing Fish.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I put a link to this support thread in the Skull Kid topic. Just to say that many of us want both characters in and to show your support here too.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
A cool way to include her Hyrule warriors stuff would be to add some fire and water stuff to her specials, maybe. Like changing her neutral b to water needles, and make her up B's damage more overtly fire based, maybe some multi hit thing.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I'd love to see Impa make it into the game, whether that's as her own fighter or as a Sheik echo.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As far as Zelda newcomers go, Midna is always going to be my number 1 choice. Unfortunately she's confirmed as an assist trophy.

Impa would be the next choice for me, while I would prefer her to be unique, I'd be down for a Sheik echo fighter possibly using Skyward Sword Impa.
I do have to mention that Skull Kid would be my third pick for a Zelda rep, and after this direct there seems to be some possibility to both happening, which I'd be cool with.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
As far as Zelda newcomers go, Midna is always going to be my number 1 choice. Unfortunately she's confirmed as an assist trophy.

Impa would be the next choice for me, while I would prefer her to be unique, I'd be down for a Sheik echo fighter possibly using Skyward Sword Impa.
I do have to mention that Skull Kid would be my third pick for a Zelda rep, and after this direct there seems to be some possibility to both happening, which I'd be cool with.
I think Twili Midna is possible for a zelda echo, personally. Shameless plug for support thread.

My dream for next direct is a Skull Kid vs Young Link trailer that shows him turning into FD at the end. Then it talks about Skull Kid, shows that YL's final smash is fierce diety, but also that fierce diety shows up as a boss under "certain circumstances" (story mode). Then, Sakurai would talk about how much the smash roster has been failing to represent the Zelda series besides the main 3, so he brings in Impa and Twili Midna as well.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think Twili Midna is possible for a zelda echo, personally. Shameless plug for support thread.

My dream for next direct is a Skull Kid vs Young Link trailer that shows him turning into FD at the end. Then it talks about Skull Kid, shows that YL's final smash is fierce diety, but also that fierce diety shows up as a boss under "certain circumstances" (story mode). Then, Sakurai would talk about how much the smash roster has been failing to represent the Zelda series besides the main 3, so he brings in Impa and Twili Midna as well.
While I will take Midna any way I can get her, and I have thought of the idea of her true form being an echo of Zelda, I feel that's not likely to happen since she's already an assist trophy in her imp form. Of course perhaps Sakurai could make an exception since she's in a different form but I still don't see it happening.

Impa I find being very likely to be added as an echo since she currently has no other role in Smash and was highly requested.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I've been pulling for Impa since Smash 4 speculation, though my hope then was that she would replace Sheik. Obviously that's not happening, but I would love to see her as a Sheik echo alongside Skull Kid! I think Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors probably did wonders for her chances in this game.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Impa echo and Skull Kid definitely seems like the best we can all hope right now.

With how Echoes work, you can always have Impa on the CSS and Sheik swapped out.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Impa echo and Skull Kid definitely seems like the best we can all hope right now.

With how Echoes work, you can always have Impa on the CSS and Sheik swapped out.
I'd honestly be super happy with that outcome, I wouldn't have a unique impa but I'd at least have a unique Zelda character and a character I really like as well

KurouKamen

Smash Cadet
I personally think Zelda is fine for reps, though I wish Ganondorf was totally uncloned. However if Zelda gets another rep, it should be Impa, Impa is recurring and isn’t a one off like the possessed Skull Kid or Midna. She’d be cool if they do her right.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Oh hey Diddy Kong Diddy Kong I was just talking about you in the Dixie thread, and poof, the Impa thread pops up.

And no surprise, you are once again the tip of the spear over here. Impa's still cool in my book though.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I love Smash Bros, but sadly, I think the Zelda representation has been wonky since Melee. We've somehow ended up with three Links, a Falcondorf and a now-irrelevant character who's only appeared in a single Zelda game (sorry Sheik fans!).

That aside, I've been wanting Impa in for a good while. Besides Tingle and Ganon (and some smaller characters/enemies), she's the only major Zelda character who's been in a large number of games that isn't in Smash yet. And her moveset wouldn't be hard to iron out at all. I'd even take a Sheik echo! For such an iconic series, Zelda just needs more love than it currently has.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I love Smash Bros, but sadly, I think the Zelda representation has been wonky since Melee. We've somehow ended up with three Links, a Falcondorf and a now-irrelevant character who's only appeared in a single Zelda game (sorry Sheik fans!).

That aside, I've been wanting Impa in for a good while. Besides Tingle and Ganon (and some smaller characters/enemies), she's the only major Zelda character who's been in a large number of games that isn't in Smash yet. And her moveset wouldn't be hard to iron out at all. I'd even take a Sheik echo! For such an iconic series, Zelda just needs more love than it currently has.
you say that as if having three links is a bad thing

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I support. I'd say in terms of new Zelda characters, Impa's tied with Hero's Shade as a Link echo at the top of my list. Might even slightly edge him out, given we have 3 variations now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I put a link to this support thread in the Skull Kid topic. Just to say that many of us want both characters in and to show your support here too.
Honestly we're pretty much in a similar boat in a way. Our most unique potential comes from Hyrule Warriors, but very often it's shut down by people because it's 'non-canon'. Like Smash is 'canon' to any universe it merges into it... :rolleyes:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Honestly we're pretty much in a similar boat in a way. Our most unique potential comes from Hyrule Warriors, but very often it's shut down by people because it's 'non-canon'. Like Smash is 'canon' to any universe it merges into it... :rolleyes:
My main problem with HW Impa is that she is too much Dynasty Warriors, more than being "non-canon". The best thing would be having Impa as an echo but using the sword as a Final Smash IMO.

For some reason, I find her more interesting as an echo... I do not complain that there's too many sword, but an echo of Sheik does manage to bring more variety than a sword user personally.

Of course a unique moveset would still be unique :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My main problem with HW Impa is that she is too much Dynasty Warriors, more than being "non-canon". The best thing would be having Impa as an echo but using the sword as a Final Smash IMO.

For some reason, I find her more interesting as an echo... I do not complain that there's too many sword, but an echo of Sheik does manage to bring more variety than a sword user personally.

Of course a unique moveset would still be unique :)
I get what you are saying honestly. But still a few Sheikah elements made it into her moveset, like the kunai rain drop attacks, the Naginata combo finisher attack (when you press A) and the fact the Giant Blade has variations as the Biggorron Sword for example. But yes, now that you say she seems more similar to say, Volga than Zelda characters as Skull Kid, Sheik and Young Link who are clearly inspired by their in-game appearances (with ballant exaggerations).

A Sheik Echo is fine honestly. And yes, it'd be a great fit and a reassurance that she will be a viable character. That's great for the more competitive players around.

Besides there's a lot of tweaks possible with Sheik's moveset, as it's bound by a lot of extremes. Sheik is fast, based on combo's and string hits, building up damage quickly but not having many kill options. Impa could change that around a little with some tweaks and changes.

Still thinking our chances are pretty damn great at the moment. Am hopefull to see Impa make it in in this game!

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
I’m game for finally having a Zelda rep that isn’t :ultlink: :ultzelda: :ultganondorf: :ultsheik: :ultyounglink: or :ulttoonlink: and Impa always seemed like the perfect choice to me. Impa appears in multiple games and they don’t even need to pull from HW, OOT and SS only give her plenty of moveset potential. Hell, she could even be a Shiek echo and I wouldn’t mind.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I get what you are saying honestly. But still a few Sheikah elements made it into her moveset, like the kunai rain drop attacks, the Naginata combo finisher attack (when you press A) and the fact the Giant Blade has variations as the Biggorron Sword for example. But yes, now that you say she seems more similar to say, Volga than Zelda characters as Skull Kid, Sheik and Young Link who are clearly inspired by their in-game appearances (with ballant exaggerations).
Volga is the most blatant DW character of course. He is basically Lu-Bu. Impa does have some Zelda references as you say, and she keep a japanese theme (giant sword finisher attack for example).
Also, where do the "japanese" side of Sheikahs comes from, in the end? They weren't really like this in Ocarina of Time, but Sheik was ninja-like in Melee... And this aspect made a comeback somehow in Hyrule Warriors. Am I missing something?

A Sheik Echo is fine honestly. And yes, it'd be a great fit and a reassurance that she will be a viable character. That's great for the more competitive players around.
Yeah, Sheik's moveset, by design, can't be competitively bad (as well as Zelda's design who will always struggle, but I'm hoping that she will be viable in the long run this time!).

Besides there's a lot of tweaks possible with Sheik's moveset, as it's bound by a lot of extremes. Sheik is fast, based on combo's and string hits, building up damage quickly but not having many kill options. Impa could change that around a little with some tweaks and changes.
Yeah, Kunais instead of needles is the most obvious change IMO.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So in terms as an echo, I'd like to see Impa have these changes from Shiek.

1. Her magical barrier as a unique shield like the one in the video above at 0:48. Like Yoshi's shield Impa's shield would not shrink, instead it would start to shatter before breaking entirely.
  2. Side-B burst grenades being altered to look magical like the magic bomb at 1:48 in the video above. Don't even have to change the gameplay mechanics just the aesthetics of the attack.
  3. Needle throw.PNG Jellyfish.PNG Recycle some :ultsheik: custom move from Smash 4. For the neutral b, Impa could have Kunai instead of needles
  4. As a character entrance, Impa emerges from the gate of time from Skyward

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I really like the idea of the gate of time!

Also I forgot that magical bomb, it would really work as a reskin of the Side-B. Jellyfish also could work as a more aggressive Impa indeed.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Hi there. Throwing official support for Impa with the Skull Kid alliance.

I can see Impa getting in along with Skull Kid. Impa can either really fit as a unique fighter or if she is an echo, I am going to guess she would be an echo along the lines of Chrom, in which she takes elements from Sheik, has her own animations, but a special or two that differs from that of Sheik. Let's hope they both get in!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Totally forgot about the Custom Moves of Sheik.. didn't even consider them for a moment. But yeah, it would make tons of sense for Echo Fighters to have certain moves taken from the template's characters Customs, if there are any (Roy didn't have them for example). Jellyfish would be a good attack to have for example, but I wouldn't want them to call it such tbh lol.

Anyone else training their Sheiks in the lab now to anticipate Impa? Been doing so for a little while now. Still not skilled enough as I'd like to, but getting there.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I have a question for you all, how would you feel if Impa had an amalgamation session Smash?

Like say she had her head from Hyrule Warriors, her physique from Ocarina, and clothing from Skyward Sword.

Or just something entirely new?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So I have a question for you all, how would you feel if Impa had an amalgamation session Smash?

Like say she had her head from Hyrule Warriors, her physique from Ocarina, and clothing from Skyward Sword.

I think that would be very strange, might as well create an entirely new design at that point

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Personally, I'm expecting a mix between Skyward Sword face, BotW sheikah clothes and maybe a bit of HW added, so...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Well, Hyrule Warriors basically did this already with her design. Combining OOT and SS designs wonderfully into one.

Can't say am too opposed to this, but I rather have her with her Skyward Sword appearance cause that's her most important one. It basically started her support for Smash 4, by me nonetheless :laugh:

I still hope for a new apperance for her though in a new Zelda game. It's been a while since we got a new game...

Top Bottom