• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tbh given that Sheik has an original design (not really but kinda) I don't think it's crazy to think they'd make up a BOTW type design for impa to match up with her tbh
It would only make sense if there was a concept of a Young Impa for Breath of the Wild by Nintendo themselves. I think Sakurai mostly used a Sheik design based on the scrapped Sheik concept art for Twilight Princess, and since Smash 4 he used aspects from OOT (mostly in Smash 4) and now with Ultimate, he used a little creativity and the Sheikah Armor from BOTW.

Overall am fine with that. Smash makes me want Sheik and Ganondorf to appear in a mainline Zelda game all the more, but shamefully it just won't happen.

A Breath of the Wild Sheikah outfit could easily make up for a neat alternative costume however. And I still don't have a concrete answer from the Link forum wether that gray alternative costume of Link is his trainee knight outfit from Hyrule Warriors or not. Some said it's just the Skyward Sword outfit before the green tunic, which also bodes great honestly!
My long-surpressed psychic powers have granted me a vision into the future...

I see... a modified version of Skyward Sword Impa with a height and body build incredibly similar to Sheik... battling with an unseen foe... it's blue... it's sarcastic... and it hasn't had a good 3D game in over 15 years... I see... Impa joining the battle as an echo fighter!
In the name of Goddess Hylia I grant you this Spirit Orb...

Yes a modified model would also work. As I noticed that Shiek's arms are also exceptionally long, especially compared to her torso. Which is also what Impa has going for her, as well as real long legs.

Compared to

It fits better than expected honestly. The scarf and rather loose fitting pants can also help with making the proportions fit a little better. Sheik is generally always a little taller than Link right? And she stands a little hunched, so I guess it would really work out well in the end.

Also Sakurai has noticed she's a capable warrior as seen from her trophy entry in Smash Wii U;

"When Zelda falls from Skyloft to the world below, this mysterious warrior protects and guides her. If you can tear your eyes away from her remarkable Sheikah garb, you'll see a powerful resolve in her eyes. Her combat skills are on a level with Ghirahim's swordsmanship and magic. It seems Impa actually hails from an age long past... "

I think it'll bode well for Impa's chances overall.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Impa is getting rerated today in the RTC, come on and show support.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Impa appearing smash with the Skyward Sword design but Im not a Impa fan or I dont care she gets into smash ultimate. But its something to think about and look a I know Skyward Sword has it problems but Nintendo will HD remake the game someday on the switch.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Impa is pretty much the only recurring Zelda character who hasn't had an appearance in Smash Bros. Much like with how I was about Little Mac until WiiU, Impa's introduction is long overdue at this point.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa appearing smash with the Skyward Sword design but Im not a Impa fan or I dont care she gets into smash ultimate. But its something to think about and look a I know Skyward Sword has it problems but Nintendo will HD remake the game someday on the switch.
I also think a Skyward Sword Switch remake is all but confirmed. It's still considered a "core" entry in the franchise, and it heavily inspired a lot of the new mechanics of Breath of the Wild. There's also a great chance that the game will be far better received without the WiiMotion Plus controls, which is what hurt the game for many people (not me though, I loved it).

The game is real solid, and would fare far better on the Switch most likely, much like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze was doomed to fail on Wii U, but now prospers on Switch. And with a few tweaks, like being able to walk between regions on the map without needing to approach the areas from the sky, a improved combat system (which was the most complex till date honestly, even more so than BotW!) and more focus on exploration, and we have a solid game suited well for the Switch.

Skyward Sword also has just about the best stories of the whole franchise. So that would be a good thing after Breath of the Wild.

EDIT: MY GOD PEOPLE!! GREAT NEWS!!

Apperantly, Sheik has a new Final Smash! And well... Just look at it!

DO YOU GUYS SEE AND FEEL WHAT I SEE AND FEEL!?!

A Sheikah-inspired Final Smash makes the inclusion of Impa all the more likely! :D

And yes this means her being a Sheik Echo becomes all the more propable, but y'know, I was prepared for this.

98,76% chance we're IN THIS THING now boys and girls!

The long wait might finally be over <3

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'd be slightly bothered by Impa being regulated to an echo, because well... Hyrule Warriors has some decently original content for her...
But if Nintendo doesn't want to use the spin off game version of her... sadly now that Sheik has that new final smash, which seems to scream Impa echo possibilities... Impa looks like a top candidate for an Echo Fighter. It's not the best outcome, but i'll take what I can get... That final smash is super awesome.

A side note, it appears as though Sakurai tried representing the generations of LoZ across the LoZ characters...
Maybe.. Just maybe... Hyrule Warriors will get a representative among that... Maybe Impa?
However I feel it's much more likely Sakurai will represent Skyward Sword with Impa... which isn't bad...
No LoZ character is currently using a Skyward Sword design... maybe intentional as it's one of the few young version of Impa besides OoT which is already represented by Ganondorf.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am still thinking that one gray costume of Link is his trainee knight outfit from Hyrule Warriors. Still hasn't been confirmed yet. Some say it's the Skyloft outfit of Skyward Sword, which would again be great for Skyward Sword Impa.

Yes I to would prefer Hyrule Warriors Impa, mostly cause there's far more certainity that she would be a unique character. Maybe with a couple of moves borrowed from other two handed blade wielders as Ike and Cloud, but whatever works works. Skyward Sword Impa would, without doubt, have a lot of similarities with Sheik. Be it a Echo or not.

There's a lot they could do to differenciate the two, and the way I imagined it, Impa would always play as a sort of inbetween version of both Zelda and Sheik. Which is a nice concept by itself, seeing how both characters where the start of dual characters, switching with Down B. Impa could be based around the fighting style of a monk, rather than a ninja. The fact that she's much like the Sheikah Monks of BotW only implies this further. Yet, the Sheikah are mostly known for stealth and speed, which Sheik's playstyle is all about.

The Deku Nut also hasn't ever been used by Sheik as part of her moveset, and I think that's wasted potential. I would apply that move as her Side B instead of that weird grenade. But oh well. The animation would still be much the same as the Burst Grenade, so even IF Impa ends up as a Echo, they could use the Deku Nut instead of it. Daisy seems to have a few differences from Peach even if she's a Echo, and Lucina is also fastly different from Marth despite Echo status.

So there's still hope.

That Final Smash of Sheik however makes it far more likely that Impa will be added as a Sheik Echo. And I've prepared myself for that since the beginning. I even said that I would be down for the Alph treatment, as long as Impa is in.

I think am gonna start to learn to play Sheik. Anyone else with me?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah, that new final Smash is very Sheikah inspired, so Impa is definitely looking good. I hope she has an HW alt costume though if she makes it in.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, that new final Smash is very Sheikah inspired, so Impa is definitely looking good. I hope she has an HW alt costume though if she makes it in.
Am also hopeful of it. Tho by design, I do prefer the tan, ancient Goddes protecting Skyward Sword Impa. And she is easily the most important version of Impa, and given Skyward Sword is the begin of the franchise, she becomes even EXTREMELY important in the overall timeline, for reasons that are obviously spoilers.

Also her being an Echo would make sense, as in Ocarina of Time it was Impa who tutored Zelda in the Sheikah ways. That likely includes a whole bunch of secret techniques and combat training. Therefore, Impa fighting like Sheik wouldn't even be that much wasted potential. Moreso a mentor-pupil role, but in reverse, and within other lifetimes. But both Skyward Sword Impa and Sheik have time travelling as their theme, so it works exceptionally well honestly.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Welp, Its a new Smash and I guess I'll pop back in once again.

Personally I think Impa is one of the most deserving character of the Zelda series. Within the Zelda universe she's been in more game than any other character with the exception of the big three (Link, Zelda, and Ganon). Though I find it unlikely I think if they do put her in it then probably use her younger forms. Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, and Hyrule Warriors. They could probably make them costume changes for all three.

Movesets I could see her being an echo character for shiek (she did train her after all) but I would prefer her Hyrule Warrior weapons too (especially the naginata).

It later games they might add Old Impa as a separate character.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Welp, Its a new Smash and I guess I'll pop back in once again.

Personally I think Impa is one of the most deserving character of the Zelda series. Within the Zelda universe she's been in more game than any other character with the exception of the big three (Link, Zelda, and Ganon). Though I find it unlikely I think if they do put her in it then probably use her younger forms. Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, and Hyrule Warriors. They could probably make them costume changes for all three.

Movesets I could see her being an echo character for shiek (she did train her after all) but I would prefer her Hyrule Warrior weapons too (especially the naginata).

It later games they might add Old Impa as a separate character.
If there's a Old Impa as a guardian of Zelda in a future Zelda title, then yes I'd love nothing more. It does work honestly, because Sheikah, and especially monks, seem to live far longer than the regular humans Hylians. So an old, but still extremely fit warrior Impa could still make sense. I could picture such a Impa design as a mix between her Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild design, with a few throwbacks towards the Sheikah Monks of BotW as well.

And if Impa makes it in as a Echo this time, it might mean a moveset revamp for the next Smash Bros., as has happened quite a few times before in the history of Smash. Which is also why I do want Skyward Sword Impa to make her impact on the roster right now. As she might not have another chance ever.

It's extremely likely Impa will be a mainstay of the Zelda franchise anyway. And even Old Impa of BotW has stated herself that she was a mighty warrior in the past. She's kind of a "rejected Champion" really, which is quite sad, but it serves it purpose for the story of the game. There had to be a survivor who could tell the story, and basically everyone else was dead, or in a 100 year long meditation / sealing power struggle.

Personally, I'd rather see a Young Impa yet again in a new Zelda game. Sheikah will return most likely, as I cannot picture yet a new Zelda without ancient magitech, or at least throwbacks to it. It has set it's mark well in Breath of the Wild, and it's also been stated by Eijoma that the new Zelda will walk in the footsteps of BotW. Which bodes great for Impa's future in the franchise. Because even if she was unworkable to Smash, BotW Impa remained leader of the Sheikah.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
If there's a Old Impa as a guardian of Zelda in a future Zelda title, then yes I'd love nothing more. It does work honestly, because Sheikah, and especially monks, seem to live far longer than the regular humans Hylians. So an old, but still extremely fit warrior Impa could still make sense. I could picture such a Impa design as a mix between her Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild design, with a few throwbacks towards the Sheikah Monks of BotW as well.

And if Impa makes it in as a Echo this time, it might mean a moveset revamp for the next Smash Bros., as has happened quite a few times before in the history of Smash. Which is also why I do want Skyward Sword Impa to make her impact on the roster right now. As she might not have another chance ever.

It's extremely likely Impa will be a mainstay of the Zelda franchise anyway. And even Old Impa of BotW has stated herself that she was a mighty warrior in the past. She's kind of a "rejected Champion" really, which is quite sad, but it serves it purpose for the story of the game. There had to be a survivor who could tell the story, and basically everyone else was dead, or in a 100 year long meditation / sealing power struggle.

Personally, I'd rather see a Young Impa yet again in a new Zelda game. Sheikah will return most likely, as I cannot picture yet a new Zelda without ancient magitech, or at least throwbacks to it. It has set it's mark well in Breath of the Wild, and it's also been stated by Eijoma that the new Zelda will walk in the footsteps of BotW. Which bodes great for Impa's future in the franchise. Because even if she was unworkable to Smash, BotW Impa remained leader of the Sheikah.
Are you talking about middle age Impa? Because we have that too.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bumping with a reply I given in another thread given to someone who called Impa 'boring':

There's lots she could bring. But yes at this point her being a Echo seems the most likely choice. And it doesn't have to be bad, cause there where more characters who moved up from their clone status to something far more unique. Ganondorf being a great example.

Hyrule Warriors Impa combined agility with a weapon that typically has great reach and power. Her jumps, speed and overall attack speed would for example be far better than those of Ike and Cloud, but with it's perks of having similar lag, thus being a character that basically defends by being on the offensive. The Naginata offers a way different playstyle of course, but it's less likely that they'd go for that.

Impa is also more magical based than Sheik is, and would potentially offer a playstyle that lies much in between Zelda and Sheik. I say potentially, because her Skyward Sword incarnation honestly makes a good, fitting Echo. However Impa there also shows unique abilities on her own, as the barrier she used to protect Zelda with and a magical orb attack.

Even as a Echo there's ways to make her different. Take the Neutral B for example. She could throw a singular Kunai instead of multiple Needles. That'd be unique already. Instead of the Burst Grenade, Impa could use the Deku Nut which has a stunning effect on enemies, or a magical attack with a similar animation yet different properties. Bouncing Fish could also be tweaked to be more of a warping / teleporting attack much like Meta Knight's Down B, or Greninja's Shadow Sneak but with the animation of Bouncing Fish. They could also make it more of a charge up attack by holding in B.

Besides, even as a Echo, Impa could be less speed based than Sheik, and could rely more on power than pure speed. Such a change would really change up the playstyle. Think how Melee Ganondorf and Melee Captain Falcon are marginally different because of this for example. I don't expect SUCH huge changes in stats, but it's a great example nonetheless.

If you think Echoes are boring, don't complain to me but Sakurai. He's gonna add them regardless of your opinion, like how he added lots of characters that I innitially disliked because of my opinion. Echoes still offer another unique take on a excistant character, and with just the right amount of tweaks, such a character would still create a total different playstyle. Which is why am happy for Daisy fans that she's in the game, despite not wanting Daisy in the game myself.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If they make Impa Sheik's echo fighter I think they would have to go with her Ocarina of Time design. I think Skyward Sword Impa's proportions differ too much from Sheik's for it too work. Also OoT Impa being Sheik's echo fighter just seems the most fitting, seeing how that's the version who raised Sheik.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
If they make Impa Sheik's echo fighter I think they would have to go with her Ocarina of Time design. I think Skyward Sword Impa's proportions differ too much from Sheik's for it too work. Also OoT Impa being Sheik's echo fighter just seems the most fitting, seeing how that's the version who raised Sheik.
Yeah i think the oot design works best for Sheik's proportions for an echo, but I still like the Skyward Sword design the best visually. I also like the Hyrule Warriors design, but I'm not sure if they want to base Impa's design of a spin off game.

Maybe for an Alt Costume they could have Impa with the Skyward design, but with normal proportions.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Yeah i think the oot design works best for Sheik's proportions for an echo, but I still like the Skyward Sword design the best visually. I also like the Hyrule Warriors design, but I'm not sure if they want to base Impa's design of a spin off game.

Maybe for an Alt Costume they could have Impa with the Skyward design, but with normal proportions.
If anything they can have one of her alt colors resemble her SS design.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Skyward Sword's Impa is easily the more important one, story-wise, as well as lore-wise. If you where to choose between the Sage of Shadows, one of the 6 Sages in total or the Goddess Hylia's handpicked chosen warrior to protect her mortal form in the future who also instructs Link and is the very first protector of the Triforce, I think the choice is clear.

Not that I do not expect a OOT Impa alt costume, because that seems very likely. I just don't think that she'd become the main version of Impa. Especially since all the major console releases are already represented outside of Skyward Sword.

Her model can easily be made to fit Sheik's anyway. The scarf can help add a lot of imaginary height, and it's not like Sheik has extremely short limbs anyway. Her limbs are about twice the size of her torso it seems. Skyward Sword Impa could easily fit.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I don't think the importance to the lore is a definitive factor to Sakurai. I think he's just picking which style he likes the most. That's why we have OOT Ganondorf an Link Between Worlds Zelda. So I think any of the young Impa's have an equal shot. If they are going to make a Shiek echo then I would think they would use OOT Impa for that.

With that said they would have 4 OOT reps so they may use Skyward Sword or Hyrule Warriors to keep it diverse.

Last edited:

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
Skyward Sword Impa is beautifully designed and the most like a ninja. I wanted SS Impa in Smash 4 so I hope she makes it this time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think the importance to the lore is a definitive factor to Sakurai. I think he's just picking which style he likes the most. That's why we have OOT Ganondorf an Link Between Worlds Zelda. So I think any of the young Impa's have an equal shot. If they are going to make a Shiek echo then I would think they would use OOT Impa for that.

With that said they would have 4 OOT reps so they may use Skyward Sword or Hyrule Warriors to keep it diverse.
Skyward Sword's Impa had two trophies on the Wii U, OOT Impa had just one on the 3DS. Might not say much, but I'd choose the overall more important Impa, which is definitely Skyward Sword Impa.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Hey, just joined. Lurked a while. I'm here for Impa though lol.
She's been my favorite Zelda character since OoT (besides Zant, but the chances of him getting into Smash are about 0%) and she's long overdue. A HW original character would be dope, but like others have said a Sheik echo is far more likely. And probably based on her SS design. But honestly, I'll take her getting in anyway she can.
And Nintendo seems to be pushing her a lot too - basically co-lead in HW, huge roles in SS, BotW, and fairly important in ALBW too. I believe.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey, just joined. Lurked a while. I'm here for Impa though lol.
She's been my favorite Zelda character since OoT (besides Zant, but the chances of him getting into Smash are about 0%) and she's long overdue. A HW original character would be dope, but like others have said a Sheik echo is far more likely. And probably based on her SS design. But honestly, I'll take her getting in anyway she can.
And Nintendo seems to be pushing her a lot too - basically co-lead in HW, huge roles in SS, BotW, and fairly important in ALBW too. I believe.
Yo! Great to have you! I used exactly your username as the main tag to represent my demand for Impa in Smash haha. Good to have you aboard.

Impa has been a important character ever since Skyward Sword especially, and after that a few minor roles as a elder lady, except for Hyrule Warriors of course. I do think that if they'd include Impa as a young warrior in BotW, her role would probably be even larger in the story than that of either Link, Zelda or Ganon. So while I always sort of disliked her appearance in that game, I now began to accept it. The Sheikah have very strong influence on the whole lore, and this means only great things for Impa in the future.

Am also guessing the Skyward Sword version of Impa to be in Smash. And honestly, she's my favorite, and overall most important. I also really hope that Skyward Sword gets remade in HD for Switch, as it would profit as a game hugely from being on it without the Motion Plus controls. Plus, it's the origin story of Zelda and should get as much respect as it deserves. BotW build up a LOT from Skyward Sword's story, Goddess Hylia, Sheikah Monks having a similar role to SS Impa in a way, ancient technology, the nature of Calamity Ganon.. lots of things would only make sense if you have played Skyward Sword.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Yo! Great to have you! I used exactly your username as the main tag to represent my demand for Impa in Smash haha. Good to have you aboard.

Impa has been a important character ever since Skyward Sword especially, and after that a few minor roles as a elder lady, except for Hyrule Warriors of course. I do think that if they'd include Impa as a young warrior in BotW, her role would probably be even larger in the story than that of either Link, Zelda or Ganon. So while I always sort of disliked her appearance in that game, I now began to accept it. The Sheikah have very strong influence on the whole lore, and this means only great things for Impa in the future.

Am also guessing the Skyward Sword version of Impa to be in Smash. And honestly, she's my favorite, and overall most important. I also really hope that Skyward Sword gets remade in HD for Switch, as it would profit as a game hugely from being on it without the Motion Plus controls. Plus, it's the origin story of Zelda and should get as much respect as it deserves. BotW build up a LOT from Skyward Sword's story, Goddess Hylia, Sheikah Monks having a similar role to SS Impa in a way, ancient technology, the nature of Calamity Ganon.. lots of things would only make sense if you have played Skyward Sword.
Thanks!!

And yeah I was a bit bummed with old sage Impa in BotW, but she does play a large role. And BotW in general leaves a lot to the imagination, including young Impa haha. But I'm really hoping that HW was Impa's big breakout role, and that she gets bigger roles like SS in the future! Maybe even the next Zelda if it is building off of BotW.

Skyward Sword HD would be awesome as well. I still think it had the most creative dungeons in any 3D Zelda game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks!!

And yeah I was a bit bummed with old sage Impa in BotW, but she does play a large role. And BotW in general leaves a lot to the imagination, including young Impa haha. But I'm really hoping that HW was Impa's big breakout role, and that she gets bigger roles like SS in the future! Maybe even the next Zelda if it is building off of BotW.

Skyward Sword HD would be awesome as well. I still think it had the most creative dungeons in any 3D Zelda game.
Ohhh yes the dungeons! Those where indeed easily the BEST in the series as well! Really loved the items which you could collect as well, and the whole upgrade system, the combat system, the introduction of stamina, the story... I can't imagine how people would dislike the game!

Also BotW Impa has claimed a few times that she was a mighty warrior in the past. So I always thought it was strange there was no footage of a young Impa, not even in cutscenes. Maybe that's why BotW Impa looks at Link so sour all the time? :laugh: There's literally no memory involving both, and she was so happy to see Link awake yet again only to be greeted with such nonchalant attitude </3

I really hope that the next incarnation of Impa is also gonna be very similar to her role in Hyrule Warriors, as the captain of the soldiers of Hyrule. It's her implied role in Ocarina of Time as well, and it fits like a bill. And the fact she's Link's first ally, as well as co-leading in the story mode, I see her chances to develop further in the future of Zelda as extremely great!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Ohhh yes the dungeons! Those where indeed easily the BEST in the series as well! Really loved the items which you could collect as well, and the whole upgrade system, the combat system, the introduction of stamina, the story... I can't imagine how people would dislike the game!

Also BotW Impa has claimed a few times that she was a mighty warrior in the past. So I always thought it was strange there was no footage of a young Impa, not even in cutscenes. Maybe that's why BotW Impa looks at Link so sour all the time? :laugh: There's literally no memory involving both, and she was so happy to see Link awake yet again only to be greeted with such nonchalant attitude </3

I really hope that the next incarnation of Impa is also gonna be very similar to her role in Hyrule Warriors, as the captain of the soldiers of Hyrule. It's her implied role in Ocarina of Time as well, and it fits like a bill. And the fact she's Link's first ally, as well as co-leading in the story mode, I see her chances to develop further in the future of Zelda as extremely great!
Honestly, I think you're right. The motion controls brought the game down for some people. I still remember my controller going wonky and Link running around without me controlling him. And then Fi constantly telling me to change the batteries lol. I loved the game, but still. An HD remake seems inevitable, but also definitely welcomed.

But lol I never thought of that - Impa knowing Link but not a single cut scene of young Impa. Now I really want a BotW prequel as the next Zelda!
And also an urge to play more Hyrule Warriors too lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Tingle is a stage element again (not that that hurt Toon Link last time but hey) so Impa, along with the ballot, Echo Fighters and most importantly, the ditching of keeping all Zelda characters from the same game Impa's chances are looking better than ever.

Question, Sheik Echo or Cloud Echo?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Well Tingle is a stage element again (not that that hurt Toon Link last time but hey) so Impa, along with the ballot, Echo Fighters and most importantly, the ditching of keeping all Zelda characters from the same game Impa's chances are looking better than ever.

Sheik Echo. How fun HW Impa might be, she's a Sheikah first and foremost.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

It would hurt so much if Tingle was playable and not Impa lol. But her chances are looking even better!

But that’s a tough choice. Having her use her giant blade would be awesome, but I think it makes more sense for the character overall to be a Sheik clone. A bit more true to her character

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, I think you're right. The motion controls brought the game down for some people. I still remember my controller going wonky and Link running around without me controlling him. And then Fi constantly telling me to change the batteries lol. I loved the game, but still. An HD remake seems inevitable, but also definitely welcomed.

But lol I never thought of that - Impa knowing Link but not a single cut scene of young Impa. Now I really want a BotW prequel as the next Zelda!
And also an urge to play more Hyrule Warriors too lol
Exactly! I personally liked the motion controls, because it allowed for such a fun and unique combat mechanic that I really felt was extremely missing in say, Twilight Princess. It's also one of the reasons why I love Skyward Sword so much. ALSO THE MUSIC! How could we forget about that!? The overall scenery of the game.. just amazing. I miss playing it now!

Yeah no cutscene of young Impa kinda bothered me, but honestly.. as the leader of the Sheikah, she might've upsurped the leading roles of Link and Zelda in BotW. The Sheikah are very important to the game's back story, and even if she wasn't Zelda's guardian and nurse maid any more, her role as the Sheikah's leader still remained. So that would give her a lot of plot importance, even if BotW isn't actually extremely plot heavy - quite the opposite.

If BotW was a more classic Zelda game, I'd expect Impa to be WAY more important. But it builds up a great deal of world building, so there's only hope for the future.

Tingle was never really likely anyway lol

I'd say Sheik Echo though, as Cloud has his Limit Break gimmick that would be hard for Impa to copy. Just about everything else fits very well however. But after I've seen Sheik's new Final Smash, I was convinced that Sheik Echo is gonna be the way to go.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Exactly! I personally liked the motion controls, because it allowed for such a fun and unique combat mechanic that I really felt was extremely missing in say, Twilight Princess. It's also one of the reasons why I love Skyward Sword so much. ALSO THE MUSIC! How could we forget about that!? The overall scenery of the game.. just amazing. I miss playing it now!

Yeah no cutscene of young Impa kinda bothered me, but honestly.. as the leader of the Sheikah, she might've upsurped the leading roles of Link and Zelda in BotW. The Sheikah are very important to the game's back story, and even if she wasn't Zelda's guardian and nurse maid any more, her role as the Sheikah's leader still remained. So that would give her a lot of plot importance, even if BotW isn't actually extremely plot heavy - quite the opposite.

If BotW was a more classic Zelda game, I'd expect Impa to be WAY more important. But it builds up a great deal of world building, so there's only hope for the future.

I'd say Sheik Echo though, as Cloud has his Limit Break gimmick that would be hard for Impa to copy. Just about everything else fits very well however. But after I've seen Sheik's new Final Smash, I was convinced that Sheik Echo is gonna be the way to go.
Impa's thing could be having a different meter to fill that accomplishes something else but like most other people here, Sheik Echo seems the best course of action.

Follow-up question, Ocarina or Skyward Sword design? I personally prefer Ocarina Impa's design but I think Skyward Sword Impa fits better. Plus after SS got skipped over character wise it would fill the game diversity out a bit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa's thing could be having a different meter to fill that accomplishes something else but like most other people here, Sheik Echo seems the best course of action.

Follow-up question, Ocarina or Skyward Sword design? I personally prefer Ocarina Impa's design but I think Skyward Sword Impa fits better. Plus after SS got skipped over character wise it would fill the game diversity out a bit.
Skyward Sword for me. I prefer her overall design, as well as her role. She's Goddess Hylia's personal chosen warrior. That's quite a big feat compared to OoT's Impa. Not that OoT Impa is not important, but you can't really compare to Skyward Sword. Hopefully there will be yet another role that gives Impa even a bigger role.

However, there is a good compromise between both designs, which is the Hyrule Warriors Impa.

I expect OoT Impa to be a alternative costume to SS Impa however.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Secret answer number 3, unique impa with martial arts and sheikah magic

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

The fights with Ghirahim were amazing with motion controls! Actually, now I wonder if they can incorporate motion controls with an HD remake for the switch. If they can tweak it a bit it would be awesome. And the music was indeed amazing as well. Ghirahim's Theme & Groose's Theme are two of my favorite Zelda music pieces.

But yeah that new Sheik final smash. It convinced me that she's playable (I hope).

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

I honestly love OoT Impa, but I think you're right. They'll either go with SS Impa to represent that game a bit more, and because she's more relevant, or maybe HW version just because of popularity (but probably not)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

It would cool if Impa had a special shield animation reminiscent of her magical barrier in her fight with Ghirahim. Impa's shield wouldn't get smaller, but you could tell it durability by having it start to shatter like in this cut scene.

More characters besides Yoshi need unique shields, and Impa could have a unique shield that takes inspiration from Skyward Sword.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

It would cool if Impa had a special shield animation reminiscent of her magical barrier in her fight with Ghirahim. Impa's shield wouldn't get smaller, but you could tell it durability by having it start to shatter like in this cut scene.

More characters besides Yoshi need unique shields, and Impa could have a unique shield that takes inspiration from Skyward Sword.
That would be really cool actually! Plus, echos seem to have small differences, and that could be one of them. SS Impa. I want to believe.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Secret answer number 3, unique impa with martial arts and sheikah magic
And this is also still a viable option! You know, in Breath of the Wild I noticed that the Yiga leader, Master Kohga used certain Sheikah magic like the barrier of SS Impa and Magnesis without the use of the Sheikah Slate. Which would mean that those ancient techniques found in the Sheikah Slate can be used by Sheikah warrior who are trained in magical arts.

In that way, Impa could easily have her moveset consist of these attacks. Said this plenty of times before, but the idea seem to have died down with the fact that not all the Zelda cast is gonna be based of BotW. Regardless, here's a Special Moves moveset I am just gonna freestyle out of my head for Impa with the Sheikah Slate magic!

B: Statis
Don't worry, it's not gonna be as powerful as in Breath of the Wild. Statis is a ranged projectile attack that upon impact, freezes down time for the character struck by it for a short ammount of time. In this time, Impa can unleash as many attacks as she wants, and the knockback and half of the damage done of all those moves would add up in one blast whenever time unfreezes again. This leads to easier damage building and to land KO moves more easily. However, the damage and knockback would be half of it's normal vallue to compensate. It shouldn't be OP after all.

Grab: Magnesis
Impa has a ranged grab with Magnesis that allows her to move her opponent slightly and slam them into other fighters. The throws aren't very powerful, but the range makes up for the lack of power. Throws don't do a lot of damage outside of Down Throw, where Impa slams the enemies on the ground and then they bounce up. Not suitable for KO's, but more about gaining more stage control and setting up combos.

Down B: Cryonis
Creates a ice block with a Sheikah mark on it that blocks paths for the other fighters. It has a fixed range. Can only hurt enemies whenever they are on the same spot as where the ice block gets formed. Very effective in blocking projectile attacks. Whenever the attack is used over the edge, the block would fall down, making it good to intercept certain types of recovery as well.

Up B: Honestly just some sort of Vanish lol. Know how the Yiga teleport? Well, do the same except for using the Sheikah symbol instead of the Yiga one, which should be easy. Or do it like Maz Koshia does in the final DLC of BotW.

Side B: I originally wanted Impa to have a variation of the Remote Bombs. But yeah, Link also uses them. It would still fit I think. I imagine Impa doing a similar animation to what Sheik does with her Grenades, but Impa throws out a Remote Bomb instead. They could indeed just clone the move from Link, but I think that would be a little boring or uninspired. However, it would fit as a pure Sheikah Slate based moveset. For variations sake, I now place the barrier here from Skyward Sword. Since Cryonis is already used to block projectiles, this barrier is purely for physical attacks. Impa can withold them and strike back as if she Perfect Shielded (the exact same version as shown in Ultimate already). To compensate all these defensive tools, Impa would be quite a light weight, a bit lighter than Sheik even.

I imagine her normal moves to be quite like how a monk traditionally fights in fighting games. Take for example Wang, from Tekken.

Imagine similar moves to this, but with some added magical effects like Lucario does. Speaking of Lucario, Impa could also share the blue aura flame effects on her magical based moves. It's still gonna be unique, as there are very few characters in Nintendo capable of having a typical Monk fighting style archetype. And if there are, they aren't gonna be more important or significant than Impa. Also, if Impa where to be a old lady, but still a capable warrior nonetheless in a next game, she could keep a moveset similar to this.

There's also the fact that Maz Koshia uses similar movements. So that's also a great style to base Impa's fighting style on. His whole stance is very similar to Skyward Sword Impa's fighting stance as well.

So anyway, there's also enough of source material to make Impa a unique fighter, without having to resolve to Hyrule Warriors. Btw, I'd LOVE Impa with her Hyrule Warriors design and moveset in Smash, but am just here showing some flexibility of hers in what she all might have to offer.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
A BotW style Impa using the Sheikah slate magic would be awesome! I really wanted an updated Link with all those moves + champions, but Impa with that moveset would be cool.

Alternatively, HW Impa with the naginata would be everything

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Naginata is also my favorite weapon and fighting style in Hyrule Warriors! So yes, I also would love to see that. There's no legit spear fighter in Smash yet, and no, Corrin doesn't count either. Plus the way how Impa swings it around, combing so many agile movements with that weapon she just spins around effortlessly is an amazing sight!

Made a moveset for the Giant Blade style earlier, will dig that up for you. I made that one first because well, it seems a more likely prospect seeing as it's Impa's main weapon, and she uses it in all the cutscenes.

Top Bottom