• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I should get that support list updated one day honestly... Great to have you aboard my man! I also think Impa is the most logical potential Zelda newcomer, and would love her to get in on any sort of way possible, Echo, semi-clone or unique. Unique might not be totally possible because Impa is definitely not a ballot winner in the slightest, but she might be noticed enough on the ballot for semi-clone status, which is more than fine with me.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
So on the Super Smash Bros. Facebook page I made a comment about me wanting Impa over Skullkid. Most of the replies are mostly negative or trollish but the like icon are as followed,

Angry: 14
Love: 7
Laughs: 4
Wow: 1

I think the biggest issue with Impa seems to be that she's well....lurking in the shadows. Most casual fans do not know/care about her importance in the Zelda universe. Its sad but that's just what I'm seeing.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So on the Super Smash Bros. Facebook page I made a comment about me wanting Impa over Skullkid. Most of the replies are mostly negative or trollish but the like icon are as followed,

Angry: 14
Love: 7
Laughs: 4
Wow: 1

I think the biggest issue with Impa seems to be that she's well....lurking in the shadows. Most casual fans do not know/care about her importance in the Zelda universe. Its sad but that's just what I'm seeing.
This is kinda because Skull Kid is now the "expected" Zelda newcomer. Much like what happened with King K.Rool and Dixie before K.Rool was confirmed in the game. :ultkrool: And many people automatically assume that Impa is gonna be a Echo, and that's kind of a shame. She gets shot down before serious consideration, and some might feel she's a "forced Zelda rep". But yeah, can't take that away from the fact that Zelda is one of Nintendo's most popular money making franchises, got a whole lot of popularity because of Breath of the Wild being so revolutionary different than other 3D Zelda games, and that Impa has been with the franchise since it's beginning, and even now STILL appears!

Young Impa might not show up as much as Old Impa, but Ganondorf also doesn't show up as much as Ganon.. see where I'm getting at? The most popular form of the character can still be entering Smash Bros. and I really hope that Impa does get in. She's now relevant enough, popular enough, and important enough.. and it's about time for Smash to have a Zelda newcomer that isn't a version of Link or Zelda, or a one-off (or combination of both :ultsheik:). Skull Kid also meets these merrits, but honestly.. I think he's a little "shaky" for being tied so much to Young Link, and it would be BEAUTIFUL to have him now but.. if next game cuts Young Link, I think Skull Kid doesn't quite "fit" as much as before. Whereas Impa does, especially Skyward Sword's Impa as she's a known time traveler anyway, and would therefore make perfect sense to accompany any future version of both Link and Zelda.

I'm still 100% down for Skull Kid, but I won't lie that I prefer Impa and am more rooting for her. And respectfully, I know that the many Skull Kid supporters think the same, if we came down to it. And I don't wanna be dishonest about that. Zelda needs it's newcomer, but I personally, prefer Impa, and that's fine. People can prefer Tetra, Toon Zelda, Pig Ganon, Yuga, Hilda, a BotW Champion.. and am fine with that.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm going to be honest here. Impa as a Sheik echo is...fine, I guess. It works. But I just got Hyrule Warriors and I am DYING for that Impa to be in Smash. She's just so fun to play. Add a Skyward Sword outfit and I'm in heaven. Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time, but weirdly I'm not really on the Skull Kid hype train like everyone else is. I'm not trying to make this seem like an either-or thing since I'd love both, but if I had to get only one new Zelda rep, Big Sword Samurai Impa would be my pick.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm going to be honest here. Impa as a Sheik echo is...fine, I guess. It works. But I just got Hyrule Warriors and I am DYING for that Impa to be in Smash. She's just so fun to play. Add a Skyward Sword outfit and I'm in heaven. Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time, but weirdly I'm not really on the Skull Kid hype train like everyone else is. I'm not trying to make this seem like an either-or thing since I'd love both, but if I had to get only one new Zelda rep, Big Sword Samurai Impa would be my pick.
Ohh am wanting her based on Hyrule Warriors terribly as well! Even before I played the game, I just felt she was a great and unique addition. And I even said today in the Isaac thread, the only sword-newcomer yet is Chrom, who is a Echo. So that bodes well for Isaac, but also Impa. I cannot play Hyrule Warriors as Impa and don't want her in Smash, while I do have that with quite a few other characters (won't lie, Impa is basically played 99% of the time here). There's just a lot they can do with her, like for example, give her crazy reach, speed and power, but increased end lag on a few moves so she has to really rely on reads even IF she's combo-based. She can also be rather light weight, unlike the other great blade users as Ike, Cloud and Ganondorf. So she could be a very risky character that's rather polarising but extremely rewarding and deathly in the right dedicated hands. How can one NOT love that?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
This is kinda because Skull Kid is now the "expected" Zelda newcomer. Much like what happened with King K.Rool and Dixie before K.Rool was confirmed in the game. :ultkrool: And many people automatically assume that Impa is gonna be a Echo, and that's kind of a shame. She gets shot down before serious consideration, and some might feel she's a "forced Zelda rep". But yeah, can't take that away from the fact that Zelda is one of Nintendo's most popular money making franchises, got a whole lot of popularity because of Breath of the Wild being so revolutionary different than other 3D Zelda games, and that Impa has been with the franchise since it's beginning, and even now STILL appears!

Young Impa might not show up as much as Old Impa, but Ganondorf also doesn't show up as much as Ganon.. see where I'm getting at? The most popular form of the character can still be entering Smash Bros. and I really hope that Impa does get in. She's now relevant enough, popular enough, and important enough.. and it's about time for Smash to have a Zelda newcomer that isn't a version of Link or Zelda, or a one-off (or combination of both :ultsheik:). Skull Kid also meets these merrits, but honestly.. I think he's a little "shaky" for being tied so much to Young Link, and it would be BEAUTIFUL to have him now but.. if next game cuts Young Link, I think Skull Kid doesn't quite "fit" as much as before. Whereas Impa does, especially Skyward Sword's Impa as she's a known time traveler anyway, and would therefore make perfect sense to accompany any future version of both Link and Zelda.

I'm still 100% down for Skull Kid, but I won't lie that I prefer Impa and am more rooting for her. And respectfully, I know that the many Skull Kid supporters think the same, if we came down to it. And I don't wanna be dishonest about that. Zelda needs it's newcomer, but I personally, prefer Impa, and that's fine. People can prefer Tetra, Toon Zelda, Pig Ganon, Yuga, Hilda, a BotW Champion.. and am fine with that.
I feel the same way. Skull Kid would be cool but I rather prefer Impa. I think making her into a Sheik echo is a waste but on the other hand it does seem rather appropriate and more likely being how echo heavy this game is.

Also I don't think SS Impa has time traveling ability. I think Sheikan just live a reeeeeeally long time. Its not 100% proven but I believe in the theory that Impa from OOT is the same Impa from Zelda I/II and from the Oracle games. Actually if that's the case then she would also be the same Impa in the CD-i games. >.>

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel the same way. Skull Kid would be cool but I rather prefer Impa. I think making her into a Sheik echo is a waste but on the other hand it does seem rather appropriate and more likely being how echo heavy this game is.
I also support Dixie, along with Impa and Isaac, those 3 are my most wanted right now. And in Dixie's case, she can also realistically be a Echo, much like how Chrom is. And even though it would diminish her quality as a character, I would still take it honestly. It also helps that the movesets of both Diddy and Sheik are highly popular, and effective. So in that case, having Dixie and Impa as Echo wouldn't even be bad! As they WILL enjoy a lot of popularity in this regard. Sheik as a character is quite polarising already, and like Lucina, Impa could offer a more "stable" variation of Sheik's moveset where it's less about persicion and more even stats, at the cost of maybe a little combo ability and speed, with more power overall. This kinda goes against Sakurai's Echo concept, but does work well for Marth and Lucina, so that sort of thing could also work for Impa and Sheik.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I also support Dixie, along with Impa and Isaac, those 3 are my most wanted right now. And in Dixie's case, she can also realistically be a Echo, much like how Chrom is. And even though it would diminish her quality as a character, I would still take it honestly. It also helps that the movesets of both Diddy and Sheik are highly popular, and effective. So in that case, having Dixie and Impa as Echo wouldn't even be bad! As they WILL enjoy a lot of popularity in this regard. Sheik as a character is quite polarising already, and like Lucina, Impa could offer a more "stable" variation of Sheik's moveset where it's less about persicion and more even stats, at the cost of maybe a little combo ability and speed, with more power overall. This kinda goes against Sakurai's Echo concept, but does work well for Marth and Lucina, so that sort of thing could also work for Impa and Sheik.
I know this is a little off topic but I like what you mean about Dixie being like a Chrom as an Echo. If you use DK's specials and Diddy's standard attacks it would work really well. Especially DK's Up B and Forward B.

Now back to Impa. I was thinking Impa being a slower yet tankier version of Sheik but I'm not sure if that would work in her favor. But I agree with the more stable option.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Give Impa’s moves less multi hit effects but more direct, stronger hits. Up Tilt for example, would just be a singular but stronger kick. Up Air same way.

Impa could get Melee Sheik’s old Forward Air and Neutral Air would be a singular kick again. Up Smash could be just one hitting attack and instead of doing a cross chopping double hit, Impa could use a short blade or dagger like Sheik uses for her Final Smash. Design of this weapon could be taken from the OoT manga or Breath of the Wild Sheikah weapons. The dagger wouldn’t be exactly a buff, because they could give it Roy’s sword hit boxes making it more ranged but not more powerful except when sweet spotted.

Forward Smash could stay the same or me tweaked unto a one spin kicking move, which am surprised no character really has yet for a F Smash. D Smash could have a added dagger or short blade attack while spinning.

Seeing as Sheik got a few move set retweaks in 4, Impa can be based more off Melee Sheik and have a few unique attacks.

Down B could have a added teleportation effect with the Sheikah symbols for example and have the same effects with Up B. Side B could be straight taken from Link’s Remote Bombs. Or like Isabelle with using the Loid Rocket, doing something different with it, like it exploding straight away? Or she throws it similarly to Sheik’s grenade? Deku Nut is also still a option. Or a magical projectile still similar in function to the Remote Bomb but explodes immediately.

Needles can be tweaked into a singular kunai throwing attack dealing good damage and hit stun, but could have led range if it’s overall more stronger than the needles of Sheik, because the game doesn’t need something broken like that. If nothing else, the needles are still a handy move.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am ages behind updating the support list honestly... But great to have you aboard still!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm feeling good about Impa again. If we get 3 more echoes I think she has a real shot (just cuz I think Ken and Shadow are more likely, but after that there's no real stands-outs unless they nerf Dixie's hair, which is hopefully not the case).

Plus I saw her come in 15th in a Smash U wanted poll recently. I could see Chrom/Daisy/Dark Samus scoring similarly. Good feels all around

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm feeling good about Impa again. If we get 3 more echoes I think she has a real shot (just cuz I think Ken and Shadow are more likely, but after that there's no real stands-outs unless they nerf Dixie's hair, which is hopefully not the case).

Plus I saw her come in 15th in a Smash U wanted poll recently. I could see Chrom/Daisy/Dark Samus scoring similarly. Good feels all around
Same here. I also think Impa is one of the last few likely Echoes left. And it's weird how we didn't get more of them. Before Isabelle got revealed, I thought she was one of the most likely Echoes. But guess that didn't happen. With how few Echoes we've been shown yet, and the current Echo cast not being a lot more popular than Impa, if any at all. Plus Zelda is one of the franchises which need a newcomer most of all, being neglected since Brawl, and we got only Toon Link then ; who is basically a reskinned Young Link anyway. That's why I am also thinking it's safe to assume Impa has a decent chance as one of the last few Echoes. Also because her moveset can be sort of a "beginner Sheik" much like Lucina is a "beginner Marth" because Sheik has quite a 'elitist moveset' much like Marth.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Same here. I also think Impa is one of the last few likely Echoes left. And it's weird how we didn't get more of them. Before Isabelle got revealed, I thought she was one of the most likely Echoes. But guess that didn't happen. With how few Echoes we've been shown yet, and the current Echo cast not being a lot more popular than Impa, if any at all. Plus Zelda is one of the franchises which need a newcomer most of all, being neglected since Brawl, and we got only Toon Link then ; who is basically a reskinned Young Link anyway. That's why I am also thinking it's safe to assume Impa has a decent chance as one of the last few Echoes. Also because her moveset can be sort of a "beginner Sheik" much like Lucina is a "beginner Marth" because Sheik has quite a 'elitist moveset' much like Marth.
Ooh I like the idea of Impa being a beginners Sheik. I think that would work for her pretty well, being Zelda’s Sheikah mentor and all.

But yeah I thought for sure we’d get more echoes. I guess Isabelle’s proportions were different so Sakurai made her more of a semi-clone, which is cool for her fans, but I think Impa is pretty proportional with Sheik so I won’t get my hopes up. Her being playable in any form is enough for me.

My own personal theory is that we’re getting 3 more unique and 4 more echoes. No proof to back it up lol but it’s what I’m going with for now. So fingers crossed

NineS

Smash Lord
Count me in as an Impa supporter!
Echo or not even though I see her only getting in as an echo, she's always struck me as one of the more unique re-occurring characters, and she's become as important part of a franchise as Link, Zelda, and Ganon.
Besides, who wouldn't want to see the old lady kick some tail?

... Or the younger, more attractive and taller Impa. That works too. Either way, she's got my vote!

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
You know what would be cool, speaking of old Impa, if Impa was unique and a transforming character. And could switch back and forth between her old and young SS selves. Young Impa used more physical attacks, while Older Impa relied more on magic

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
You know what would be cool, speaking of old Impa, if Impa was unique and a transforming character. And could switch back and forth between her old and young SS selves. Young Impa used more physical attacks, while Older Impa relied more on magic
This reminds me of Zeku from Street Fighter 5 actually (although old Zeku is a really capable fighter). I have trouble to imagine Old Impa jumping and all, though... I'm probably thinking too much of Skyward Sword :laugh:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
This reminds me of Zeku from Street Fighter 5 actually (although old Zeku is a really capable fighter). I have trouble to imagine Old Impa jumping and all, though... I'm probably thinking too much of Skyward Sword :laugh:
Lol yeah I’m not sure how it would work. Unless she was really floaty maybe? I dunno, I’ll still take HW Impa it we’re getting her unique

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In concept there might still be a young Impa design for Breath of the Wild. They could use that to base her design around. But it’s generally not likely. I still do think Breath of the Wild offers quite a lot for Impa, namely the Sheikah Runes. It would make a lot of sense if a highly skilled Sheikah warrior could use these skills much like the Yiga leader Kohga.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Feeling good about Impa too. And really want her in the game :)
I'm sure she can happen one way or another (maybe dlc if not base roster). Really wanting to see what's in the next direct.

If she were unique, would you rather she have the giant blade, or the naginata?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Hyrule Warriors I preferred the naginata but for Smash? I have no big preference as both would be unique in their own ways. Am thinking the giant blade is way more likely to happen however as she always uses that one in cutscenes.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Feeling good about Impa too. And really want her in the game :)
I'm sure she can happen one way or another (maybe dlc if not base roster). Really wanting to see what's in the next direct.

If she were unique, would you rather she have the giant blade, or the naginata?
Naginata! I would never ask for anything Smash related ever again. Impa would be unique and perfect.

The giant blade is iconic for Impa in HW, but too similar to Cloud.

Zelda needs unique characters not clones

But paya as a shiek echo would be lit
I like Paya a lot, but how would she work as a Sheik echo?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Naginata! I would never ask for anything Smash related ever again. Impa would be unique and perfect.

The giant blade is iconic for Impa in HW, but too similar to Cloud.

I like Paya a lot, but how would she work as a Sheik echo?
I'd like the naginata because it'd be unique too, but at the same time I'd like to have her using a heavy sword, even if there's already tons of sword users.

honestly im not sure what I should hope for if she's unique.

NineS

Smash Lord
If Impa were to be her own character, to be truly unique would probably mean for her to use the Naginata. But to just be her own character and not too unique would mean using a large, heavy blade. She'd probably end up borrowing some moves from Ganondorf, Ike, or Cloud, unintentionally that is. I mean Smash attacks-wise at least. But if she were to use her Naginata, she would end up being a one of a kind Smash fighter by default.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If Impa were to be her own character, to be truly unique would probably mean for her to use the Naginata. But to just be her own character and not too unique would mean using a large, heavy blade. She'd probably end up borrowing some moves from Ganondorf, Ike, or Cloud, unintentionally that is. I mean Smash attacks-wise at least. But if she were to use her Naginata, she would end up being a one of a kind Smash fighter by default.
I guess in a way we could see it as a progression from easy to make towards unique:

Echo (sheik) -> Giant Blade (reusing some moves) -> Naginata (totally unique)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
personally id love for them to combine the giant blade and the naginata
that would be cool too. She could have melee attacks, heavy sword attacks, and some naginata ones too.
I dont think it'd be that weird to have 2 weapons on a character.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Idea for Impa and her alts:

Default Impa is either a Sakurai/Smash original design or something from an unused BoTW concept art (if applicable)
Then 2 alts of her OoT design, 2 of her SS design, and 2 of her HW design

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
personally id love for them to combine the giant blade and the naginata
Same here! In a way it would also represent the other two major weapon types of Breath of the Wild, two handed blades and spears. And since she can use the corosponding elements of the weapons, fire for the naginata and water for the giant blade, she could be a sort of magic bladed fighter, kinda like what Greninja does with his water swords. She does this in Hyrule Warriors as well, and does it for other abilties like her kunai rain drop attack. It would be kinda flashy to see a character use both water AND fire elements.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Same here! In a way it would also represent the other two major weapon types of Breath of the Wild, two handed blades and spears. And since she can use the corosponding elements of the weapons, fire for the naginata and water for the giant blade, she could be a sort of magic bladed fighter, kinda like what Greninja does with his water swords. She does this in Hyrule Warriors as well, and does it for other abilties like her kunai rain drop attack. It would be kinda flashy to see a character use both water AND fire elements.
it would be a spectacular moveset

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
it would be a spectacular moveset
It certainly would. Shame it's not likely to happen. We're gonna be lucky if Impa is even a Echo.

Still, I think there's a lot of potential for Impa to grow in the franchise. Am hopeful for a game that build off Breath of the Wild's story, and the time period of when the Sheikah came to power in Hyrule. Impa would without a doubt be included in this story.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It certainly would. Shame it's not likely to happen. We're gonna be lucky if Impa is even a Echo.

Still, I think there's a lot of potential for Impa to grow in the franchise. Am hopeful for a game that build off Breath of the Wild's story, and the time period of when the Sheikah came to power in Hyrule. Impa would without a doubt be included in this story.
now theres a story thatd be great to see

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Yes I like this, Paya is best girl, I should make a support thread for Paya.
I'd say that Impa would work as a Shiek echoe. Much like Shiek she didn't do that much in the main games to begin with (never played Hyrule Warriors, maybe she shows off more moveset potential there). Shieks Moveset was based around her Ninjalike looks. This could also be applied to Impa.

If we're about to get Uniques for Zelda i'd very much prefer Revali or Skull Kid over her. Not because i don't like Impa, but because i think she is one of those rare cases were she could work as an echoe without the Dark Samus like Feel of missed Potential.
And please add me to Supporters List.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that Impa would work as a Shiek echoe. Much like Shiek she didn't do that much in the main games to begin with (never played Hyrule Warriors, maybe she shows off more moveset potential there). Shieks Moveset was based around her Ninjalike looks. This could also be applied to Impa.

If we're about to get Uniques for Zelda i'd very much prefer Revali or Skull Kid over her. Not because i don't like Impa, but because i think she is one of those rare cases were she could work as an echoe without the Dark Samus like Feel of missed Potential.
And please add me to Supporters List.
Oh she has plenty to take from hyrule warriors.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I just hope they bring back young Impa again for the next Smash game. I like old Impa well enough, but let's be real she's more generic, that wise old lady archetype

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I just hope they bring back young Impa again for the next Smash game. I like old Impa well enough, but let's be real she's more generic, that wise old lady archetype
Agreed, I really wish we saw a young botw Impa, as the botw styled sheikahs have had my favorite designs, it would've been cool if you could've had impa as like a wolf link partner who helped you on your journey.

Top Bottom