• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think they'd change their existing movesets just because of hyrule warriors, they play so differently and their smash movesets are too iconic to just uproot for no reason
That's probably right, but at least Young Link could've been changed a little. Ganondorf got the sword already, might as well have been the great swords from Hyrule Warriors - would make a little more sense than giving the demo-cutscene-alone sword to Ocarina of Time's Ganondorf. I guess there's still a slight possibility for Impa to be based on Hyrule Warriors, but not the biggest chance, and I think we all know that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, they had the perfect oppertunity to design Ganondorf, Zelda, Young Link and Sheik with their HW movesets in mind, but they didn't. So I also don't think they would do that for a newcomer as Impa, or even Skull Kid. Only seems possible if HW Impa scored real well on the ballot.
well i wasnt referring to characters specifically i was thinking music and trophies of lana and linkle

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
well i wasnt referring to characters specifically i was thinking music and trophies of lana and linkle
Am guessing that's all pretty probable. It's just a shame that's probably all we're gonna get.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
It’s also possible that they go with the HW design of Impa because, I think, that’s the game that really made her popular. SS too, but HW was huge for her character. She was basically 2nd lead after Link and playable

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It’s also possible that they go with the HW design of Impa because, I think, that’s the game that really made her popular. SS too, but HW was huge for her character. She was basically 2nd lead after Link and playable
It really was responsible for quite a lot of new founded support for Impa, so yes I do agree. She is basically the second lead character in that game, and it's probably a lot more succesful financially than Skyward Sword so... Really, I wouldn't know what to expect at this given point. Both Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors Impa make a lot of sense to include. I personally cannot make the choice which one I rather see, as long as she's in the game am fine.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
(I had to look up who Impa is)
She looks bad ass, plus has a epic sword! I support Impa!

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
I always saw Impa as something of a magical ninja who could appear from any angle and attack with quick strikes or elemental magic. That in mind, a possible moveset:
  • B: Does a 3 hit rekka with naginata, with each hit having particular properties based on the exact timing - kinda like Dancing Blade.
  • Side B: Very fast dash forward attack. Tracks nearest magic seal (within a certain range) - if it's above her, she dashes above her, below, dashes below, etc. Can go through enemies and thin platforms, but if no seal, simply travels horizontally.
  • Up B: Tosses a magic water seal up in a high arc. Hold and release to teleport to where the seal is in it's on on release, or tap to just let it loose.
  • Down B: Place a stationary magic fire seal where she is. She can detonate it manually, or it explodes itself after 7 seconds.
Hitting a seal with Smash/dash A/neutral B turns it into a projectile, whereas Side B causes it to explode where it is when it's dashed through. Water seals have better range on their explosions/projectile, but deal no damage (only knockback), whereas fire seals have less range but deal damage.

She uses her naginata for most attacks, but her Smash moves use the Giant Blade.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
She looks bad ***, plus has a epic sword! I support Impa!
I knew you would have great taste! She's awesome to play as well. Another strong female character from Nintendo aside from Dixie and Samus. I feel she would be a great fit for Smash.

I always saw Impa as something of a magical ninja who could appear from any angle and attack with quick strikes or elemental magic. That in mind, a possible moveset:
  • B: Does a 3 hit rekka with naginata, with each hit having particular properties based on the exact timing - kinda like Dancing Blade.
  • Side B: Very fast dash forward attack. Tracks nearest magic seal - if it's above her, she dashes above her, below, dashes below, etc. Can go through enemies and thin platforms, but if no seal, simply travels horizontally.
  • Up B: Tosses a magic water seal up in a high arc. Hold and release to teleport to where the seal is in it's on on release, or tap to just let it loose.
  • Down B: Place a stationary magic fire seal where she is. She can detonate it manually, or it explodes itself after 10 seconds.
Hitting a seal with Smash/dash A/neutral B turns it into a projectile, whereas Side B causes it to explode where it is. Water seals have better range on their explosions/projectile, but deal no damage (only knockback), whereas fire seals have less range but deal damage.

She uses her naginata for most attacks, but her Smash moves use the Giant Blade.
Nice moveset concept! I also like the thought of Impa mixing up her sword skills with material arts much like in a few after battle cutscenes in HW how she kicks her blade into it's hilt. That kick would make for a great U Tilt for example. I can also picture Impa doing Sheik's Bouncing Fish attack with the blade attached to her hip as she leaps. Naginata is also my preference in weapon she uses though. But even IF we would get HW Impa in Smash, it seems more likely for her to use the Giant Blade unfortunately. So I kinda hold myself back on hyping myself for Impa using the Naginata even tho that woule hype me the most.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
She looks bad ***, plus has a epic sword! I support Impa!
For a bit more detail, Impa is Zelda's protector in many of the games. Much like how there have been multiple Links, Ganons and Zelda's, there has almost always been an Impa for each Zelda. They've ranged from being a wet-nurse style nanny to an actual warrior. They've looked different, but the HW design is a combination of her two best canon designs, OoT and SS Impa.

The commonly supported Impa for Smash is based on the warrior Impas of OoT, Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors. She's a sheikah, the same race that Zelda imitates when she's Sheik. Meaning Impa's moves can be directly related to Sheik's, although she's demonstrated some skills of her own in SS and HW.

You can think of Impa as Zelda's Toad, but her status as a more hands-on guardian and fighter makes her more sensible in Smash than him. Impa is also a Sage on occasion, meaning she has significance to the Sacred Realm (Zelda's heaven in a sense) and has special roles on the side because of this.

Many consider her more deserving of a spot than Sheik since Sheik is just Zelda pretending to be a Sheikah, whereas Impa is the real deal. An added bonus of Impa is that her Skyward Sword design is her most iconic one in the home series, and her appearance in Smash would represent the art style of that game, much like how the other Zelda fighters represent other games.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Thanks for the info! I've only played my sister's Phantom Hourglass when I was younger, I'm planning to buy Zelda games for my 3DS!

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
I knew you would have great taste! She's awesome to play as well. Another strong female character from Nintendo aside from Dixie and Samus. I feel she would be a great fit for Smash.

Nice moveset concept! I also like the thought of Impa mixing up her sword skills with material arts much like in a few after battle cutscenes in HW how she kicks her blade into it's hilt. That kick would make for a great U Tilt for example. I can also picture Impa doing Sheik's Bouncing Fish attack with the blade attached to her hip as she leaps. Naginata is also my preference in weapon she uses though. But even IF we would get HW Impa in Smash, it seems more likely for her to use the Giant Blade unfortunately. So I kinda hold myself back on hyping myself for Impa using the Naginata even tho that woule hype me the most.
Thanks! I feel like the martial arts stuff, the mixed weapon usage, all that, is best for her Smash moves, but mostly wanted specials which could facilitate unconventional approach setups, quick dashes, and largely close-range pressure augmented by her elemental skills. I've seen people bring up the idea of a stance system, and while that's not entirely out there, I think exactly which weapons she uses is in the end secondary to her seeming like a ninja who can close the distance and go to town.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks for the info! I've only played my sister's Phantom Hourglass when I was younger, I'm planning to buy Zelda games for my 3DS!
Definitely get Ocarina of Time 3D, as it's easily the most critically acclaimed Zelda game apart from Breath of the Wild. And the improved graphics of the 3DS game make up for a good first experience in the modern age. It should be relatively cheap now as well, and it has just about all the familiar Zelda characters from Smash in it, outside of Toon Link (well technically, Link and Zelda are based on other versions of their characters but you'll get me). Majora's Mask is a game that even I, a Zelda veteran, struggle with. And A Link Between Worlds is another game you can get for real cheap, and gives you an impression of what the 2D Zelda games are like, even if it's overall style is way more cartoony than previous Zelda games.

Also, Impa's first physical role in a Zelda game is Ocarina of Time. She was also in the story of the original Zelda game for NES, but not in the actual game itself. So that's also a plus!

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Thanks!! I really have the urge to buy Majora’s first, but I hear it’s hard, so I’ll have to try Orcarina first! A Link to the Past I really want to get also!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Thanks!! I really have the urge to buy Majora’s first, but I hear it’s hard, so I’ll have to try Orcarina first! A Link to the Past I really want to get also!
Given that majora is a direct sequel you should definitely play ocarina first, Majora's mask is also pretty hard to get into, the dungeons are much harder and there are fewer than them, instead it's mostly focused on sidequests where managing time is vital, and the limited time mechanic can be hard to deal with on a first playthrough

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
You can count me as a supporter! Whether it be Skull Kid, Impa, a BotW Champion, or a combination of the three, I'd love to see a non-Triforce Zelda character in Smash. Obviously, Impa would be the easiest to implement, considering the potential for a Sheik Echo.

One thing that I think would be cool to see is all the alts Impa gets based on every other Impa appearance. Skyward Sword Impa with BotW Impa attire would be pretty interesting.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Ocarina is the perfect entry into Zelda, IMO. It’s my second favorite game of all time after Banjo-Kazooie, and probably the closest thing to a perfect game I’ve ever played

Majora’s is also very good but very different. Not a typical Zelda game, and probably not good for first time players to the series

A Link to the Past is also a classic that has aged surprisingly well

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Ocarina is the perfect entry into Zelda, IMO. It’s my second favorite game of all time after Banjo-Kazooie, and probably the closest thing to a perfect game I’ve ever played

Majora’s is also very good but very different. Not a typical Zelda game, and probably not good for first time players to the series

A Link to the Past is also a classic that has aged surprisingly well
You sold me on comparing its greatness to Banjo Kazooie.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You sold me on comparing its greatness to Banjo Kazooie.
Yes, Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie and Mario 64 basically defined 3D gaming. Ocarina of Time was the very first game to use the "targetting" system, where you can keep locked on one enemy to deal with them 1 on 1. It's a revolutionary game, and you will not regret playing it!

Playing through Majora's Mask now, and it's a damn hassle for me. Quite difficult, and the 3 Day limit feels rather.. oppressive- and this is coming from a guy who had a relative easy time with Breath of the Wild.

Anyway, anyone got a idea how to unlock the Naginata in Hyrule Warriors Definite Edition? I like the Giant Blade, but what I like more is options. And out of all Impa's options, the Naginata is the superior one. Makes me wish having her with that weapon and exact playstyle is a possibility. Still could be, cause Sakurai tends to go for the most unique possible choice, and the Naginata is certainly more unique in concept than the Giant Blade.

Am also still confident that Impa is still the frontrunner for a Zelda newcomer, be it unique or Echo. I have the feeling that even IF she where to be a Echo, she could be a very unique one, much like Dixie. I don't think I said this recently, but I once had a dream about Ultimate, before it got it's name and before Echoes where announced, that Impa played as a Sheik clone, but had a few bladed attacks, namely; dash attack, F Air and U Smash. Look good at the animations of Sheik while she does those moves..

The way Sheik crosses her arms, it could easily be replicated with a sword in either, or both hands. It wouldn't be exactly a big or long short, but the exact ones Sheik and OOT Impa use would work wonderfully. Also, such a small weapon could easily be concealed in Skyward Sword Impa's long cape.

Then there's the dash attack, which could also be done with a blade in the hand and keep the overall same frame data and animation.

Since these are taken from Melee's Sheik, she uses a different Forward Air, but if nothing else... We could get THAT version of Sheik's Forward Air, and that already gives us a unique move already that would also drastically change the playstyle between Sheik and Impa.

This was one AWESOME ATTACK for edge guarding, I tell you!

Also, the blade could be used as a combo finisher?

Just throwing out other ideas, since there's too much Impa could realistically do, also in the rather limited 'box' which is called Echo Fighter.

And since Ridley is also strongly resembling his cruel personality of the manga, Impa could also take a few notes from the Ocarina of Time manga, where she also fought with a short blade (and so did Sheik).

Now look at her Skyward Sword trophy again... (and take note Sakurai referenced to her COMBAT SKILLS!)

That blade could easily be concealed behind her garb and cape.

So yeah, just felt like I should share this.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know about the Inverted Song of Time, right?
Yes, still oppressive. I like to take my Zelda playthroughs nice and slowly, can't have that with a gigantic evil looking moon willing to crash into me honestly.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Heh, I suppose. Sounds like you'll probably be resetting a fair bit, so I'd recommend being sure to stock your rupees in the bank every time you do. That way you'll always have a buffer at least, in case you need cash.

I see why it would be problematic for you if you like to take it slow. Personally I like MM way, way better than OoT, but I understand having trouble with the pacing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Heh, I suppose. Sounds like you'll probably be resetting a fair bit, so I'd recommend being sure to stock your rupees in the bank every time you do. That way you'll always have a buffer at least, in case you need cash.

I see why it would be problematic for you if you like to take it slow. Personally I like MM way, way better than OoT, but I understand having trouble with the pacing.
It kept me off from buying the game back on the N64. Already greatly struggled with Ocarina of Time when it came out, having friends, class mates and a older cousin play some parts for me.. but Majora's Mask was truly the icing on the cake. Absolute nightmare for me in my pre-teen years. Took up the challenge now, but can't even properly find the song that gets me in the first temple.

Makes you appriciate how approachable The Wind Waker was I guess. :ulttoonlink:

Also quite strange that there where no Termina versions of Sheik and Impa. Always felt those where greatly missing.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
You gotta sneak through the Deku palace grounds and talk to the monkey.

There's also no Termina version of Link, Ganon, or Zelda. Or Hyrulean version of characters like Kafei or the Deku king and princess. Similar though they may be, Termina isn't like Lorule, where there's basically an alternate for every character!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You gotta sneak through the Deku palace grounds and talk to the monkey.

There's also no Termina version of Link, Ganon, or Zelda. Or Hyrulean version of characters like Kafei or the Deku king and princess. Similar though they may be, Termina isn't like Lorule, where there's basically an alternate for every character!
Actually, Kafei is implied to be the Termina version of Link

Also about finding the song? Have you found Magic Beans yet and understand how they work differently here yet?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Also about finding the song? Have you found Magic Beans yet and understand how they work differently here yet?
Nope, not yet. Then again, haven't been playing either. What's up with those Magic Beans though?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'd say theorized more than implied. It's especially suspect when most counterparts look identical and Link and Kafei really don't.

Nope, not yet. Then again, haven't been playing either. What's up with those Magic Beans though?
You have to water the beans in this game, they don't grow over time like in OoT.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Jeez. Zelda is my favorite series apart from maybe Smash itself, but that is too many characters. When literally half the Zelda cast is clones already, we don't need four more. Four takes on Link's moveset is unnecessary (looking at you, Marth), and if we were to get Demise, him using his sword is a necessity, considering it's the one thing he canonically has. So Ganon would need a better moveset before Demise could be an acceptable echo of him.

Impa should be in, probably as an echo of Sheik, and I could maybe be okay with Hilda as well. But assuming we do get Skull Kid and one other character, that would put Zelda at eight characters.

Eight is fine. It doesn't need eleven. We don't need people complaining about Zelda being the new Fire Emblem.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I kinda agree, this is more a what if scenario that they go really crazy with echoes.

However 8 just sounds right to me, I don't think I want any series going over 8 slots. (I say slots because counting Trainer separately puts Pokemon at 9 already) 8 is perfect because 8 player smash, imagine an 8 player match with

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdoc:
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf:(Impa)(Skull Kid)
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(Gen7)

And let's get some franchises up to 4 for some franchise battles

:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:(BDee) vs :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie)

:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultzss: vs:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:(Medusa Echo) (or maybe a Star Fox echo)

You know what, I know people will complain, but we may as well let Fire Emblem reach that perfect number since its so close already

:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultcorrin::ultrobin(Black Knight echo?)

I really like the idea of 8 as max

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also say two newcomers is fine for Zelda. And I also want the Black Knight. As long as Impa makes it in, am honestly good with any other Zelda newcomer. Though my second preference is still Skull Kid.

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Wait, why would the fix for Zelda additions be "add less unique characters" and not "take out clones"?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait, why would the fix for Zelda additions be "add less unique characters" and not "take out clones"?
Impa could be unique easily. Problem is that she could also make a relative easy Echo of Sheik. Also good luck making a strong contender for a unique Zelda newcomer that isn’t a one off. There’s literally only Skull Kid, and Impa is the most logical Echo who is also a important character to Zelda lore.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Impa could be unique easily. Problem is that she could also make a relative easy Echo of Sheik. Also good luck making a strong contender for a unique Zelda newcomer that isn’t a one off. There’s literally only Skull Kid, and Impa is the most logical Echo who is also a important character to Zelda lore.
oh i dont know i reckon tingle, epona and beedle could have unique movesets

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You guys think Skyward Sword is ever gonna get a HD remake??

Top Bottom