• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nobody ever mentions it, but Cadence of Hyrule had a nice simple Impa design.

View attachment 297595 View attachment 297596
I really love it actually. But I never played Cadence of Hyrule unfortunately. I do love that they choose the Skyward Sword version of Impa, along with the naginata of Hyrule Warriors.

I generally like the stoic versions of Impa better. But Age of Calamity's design has grown a lot on me. Impa's design is more cute than usual, but that is often a more popular direction for a female character unfortunately.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really love it actually. But I never played Cadence of Hyrule unfortunately. I do love that they choose the Skyward Sword version of Impa, along with the naginata of Hyrule Warriors.

I generally like the stoic versions of Impa better. But Age of Calamity's design has grown a lot on me. Impa's design is more cute than usual, but that is often a more popular direction for a female character unfortunately.
it is odd that AoC is the first time when impa had a different personality when usually its only zelda who goes through big changes between incarnations

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
it is odd that AoC is the first time when impa had a different personality when usually its only zelda who goes through big changes between incarnations
I imagine that's because Impa is now just a few years older than Link and Zelda, instead of having at least 10 to 20 or more years on them. And the design is 90% based on Paya, who is more cutesy looking than any Impa ever, safe for AoC.

Speaking of Age of Calamity, I wonder when there will be DLC for the game. 🤔

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I imagine that's because Impa is now just a few years older than Link and Zelda, instead of having at least 10 to 20 or more years on them. And the design is 90% based on Paya, who is more cutesy looking than any Impa ever, safe for AoC.

Speaking of Age of Calamity, I wonder when there will be DLC for the game. 🤔
well i imagine theyll announce it soon then we'll get the first batch in the summer

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have a guess when we might see DLC for Age of Calamity?
Well, nothing's confirmed, but we can come up with some theories.

First, comparing it to the original Hyrule Warriors, which came out in August of 2014. That game got its first DLC (well more of a free title update, but close enough) - that made Cia, Volga, and Wizzro playable - a little less than two months after release. After that, it released another few paid DLC characters over the course of around five months. From there, we didn't get anything for about a year until Legends released, and Medli was also added as a free character to the original version, as well as letting you pay for the Legends content.

If we followed that timeline exactly, then we would be able to expect new characters coming to AoC very soon indeed. However, we do need to remember that progress has likely been considerably slowed down due to Covid, so it might be presumptuous to assume that things will progress as fast as with the original. Still, I think there's a good chance we might get some new characters within the next month or two.

As for who it'd be? Well, Astor and Sooga are obvious choices for the first batch, pretty much already being in the game with movesets already, just without being playable. Meanwhile, Purah and Robbie are definitely candidates, and a lot of people were surprised they weren't in the base game (and them not really being fighters is kinda a nonissue when we have Hestu in the same game). If they decided to bring back more characters from the future, then an absolute certainty is Kass. I could also potentially see Beedle or Pikango. And finally, I'm not expecting it to happen, but it would be hilarious if we got Bolson.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We're getting Age of Calamity spirits - Impa, Master Kohga, and the egg guardian.

It's a shame if this means that Age Of Calamity's Impa is stuck as a spirit, but at least it means that Age Of Calamity is in Smash in some form. (which is more than what can be said for the original Hyrule Warriors)

I don't get what the Smash developers have against adding playable Zelda characters, though. If Hyrule Warriors can make the bug-collecting girl from Twilight Princess into a fully playable character, then I don't see what's keeping the Smash developers from having a playable Zelda character that isn't Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Ah this stings a bit. Impa's my most wanted Smash character and while I guess this doesn't rule her out in entirely, just the Age of Calamity incarnation, I'm skeptical we'll get her in this DLC. I felt like if she was getting added in the DLC it was gonna be with this deisgn.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't get what the Smash developers have against adding playable Zelda characters, though. If Hyrule Warriors can make the bug-collecting girl from Twilight Princess into a fully playable character, then I don't see what's keeping the Smash developers from having a playable Zelda character that isn't Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.
It's just that Smash hardly even includes secondary, non-protagonist characters, ones with non-clone movesets anyways. The ones that do get are like, the really important and reoccuring villains or female deuteragonists, like Bowser, K. Rool, Ridley, Peach, Zelda, Palutena, etc. And even K. Rool and Ridley required years of massive fan demand to get them through the door.

Smash does have a handful of "one-off" characters, but they usually have a big asterisk around them.

1. They're the main protagonist of their respective games (Fire Emblem reps)
2. They're a cloned/deriative character that generally ate up less development time and resources (Dark Pit)
3. They're just an alternate form of another reoccuring character (Sheik)

The likes of Midna, Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Zant, etc were only in one game, weren't the main player character of those games and also can't reasonably made into a quick clone character for extra fanservice. So that's why the most they can get are assist trophies.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well what a shame, Zelda can't even get a newcomer since Brawl that's not a clone of Link.
(Same with Kirby who hasn't gotten a new rep after Brawl.)
Technically in my mind, we haven't gotten a Zelda newcomer since Melee being Shiek and Zelda. Ganondorf is a Captain Falcon semi-clone while Young Link and Toon Link are just Link clones. So we really haven't had a full unique Zelda rep since Melee which is really sad to think about.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It was nice for Impa to have those brief months in the spotlight where we thought she had a real chance from when AOC Impa was first revealed to now. In the long term, this new incarnation being revealed during a Smash speculation cycle rather than after seems to have done well to grow her fanbase for Smash for future games. In the short term however, I fear this support thread may go dead again in the coming months the way it was before AOC was revealed, and the way it has for so many other “deconfirmed” character’s support threads like Ashley, Krystal, Paper Mario, Resident Evil characters, etc.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It was nice for Impa to have those brief months in the spotlight where we thought she had a real chance from when AOC Impa was first revealed to now. In the long term, this new incarnation being revealed during a Smash speculation cycle rather than after seems to have done well to grow her fanbase for Smash for future games. In the short term however, I fear this thread may go dead again in the coming months the way it was before AOC was revealed, and the way it has for so many other “deconfirmed” characters like Ashley, Krystal, Paper Mario, Resident Evil characters, etc.
It sucks. It feels like it's mostly the gals that get the axe everytime.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We're getting Age of Calamity spirits - Impa, Master Kohga, and the egg guardian.

It's a shame if this means that Age Of Calamity's Impa is stuck as a spirit, but at least it means that Age Of Calamity is in Smash in some form. (which is more than what can be said for the original Hyrule Warriors)

It was to be expected......

Still, we had a good run. And I hope this doesn't let our courage down to keep supporting Impa, even if it obviously has to be for the next Smash.

The lack of a proper Zelda newcomer has bugged me since Smash 4 honestly. But Impa is shaping up to fulfill the role more and more at the moment. We did got Young Link back and Ganondorf and Link got revamped nicely, so that's more than what Smash 4 gave us. Weirdly enough, I also called that before it happened. Much like Zelda and Sheik splitting in Smash 4; only there I expected Impa to be the "separated Sheik".

I'm optimistic for Impa in the future however. In case of a "reboot" , I think she will make the Zelda roster. In case of a Ultimate "port", I think she will be added as a semi clone of Sheik.

It remains a shame. But let's not forget our progress. Thanks to your support, Impa is now far and widely considered the most logical Zelda newcomer. And that was definitely not the case when I started this "campaign".

Thanks for being with me all this time!

Love and appreciation ❤

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Welp, I guess that's that then. Well, there's always Smash 6.

Honestly, I don't know how likely it is, but after two Warriors games, what do people think of the idea of just a full-on Zelda fighting game? There's certainly enough characters to make it work, and there's a lot of diversity among those characters for a unique and varied cast. I reckon it could work quite well.

Last edited:

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
That's a shame. Pretty much kills any hope I had for Mipha as well. Oh well, I'll look forward to saving them this weekend.

Glad Terrako is one of the spirits, he's such a great little hero.

Not quite sure why The Legend of Zelda seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to Smash. All we got is Link, his two pint-size clones, Zelda and Sheik (who used to be the same character), and Falcon-dorf.

What I really don't get are those people who practically scream at you for even suggesting any character other then Link, Zelda or Ganon should get recognition.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Welp, I guess that's that then. Well, there's always Smash 6.

Honestly, I don't know how likely it is, but after two Warriors games, what do people think of the idea of just a full-on Zelda fighting game? There's certainly enough characters to make it work, and there's a lot of diversity among those characters for a unique and varied cast. I reckon it could work quite well.
Be an interesting idea, but dependant on the style they go for. Traditional 2D fighter, arena fighter or a Smash/Kirby Fighters style platform fighter?

What I really don't get are those people who practically scream at you for even suggesting any character other then Link, Zelda or Ganon should get recognition.
Part of it is confirmation bias. Characters are considered nobodies unless they get into Smash, at which point they're reknown as the greatest in the land. For a prime example I'd recommend turning your eyes to the hatedom Chrom originally got when he was deconfirmed and then later was changed to either accepting or just general Fire Emblem disdain when he proved 'Anything Can Change' by making the roster.

Similarly Daisy had a pretty vocal detractors, with Waluigi lauded as one of the better options only for that to alter the second the princess got in rather than him, and now HE'S the one on the recieving end of mockery.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Similarly Daisy had a pretty vocal detractors, with Waluigi lauded as one of the better options only for that to alter the second the princess got in rather than him, and now HE'S the one on the recieving end of mockery.
hey some of us still aim out bile at daisy

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Be an interesting idea, but dependant on the style they go for. Traditional 2D fighter, arena fighter or a Smash/Kirby Fighters style platform fighter?
Well anything really, since any option could work, but I was mainly thinking a traditional 2D fighter. Not quite Street Fighter levels of traditional, but I wouldn't want it to be too crazy. I'd rather the uniqueness come from the character movesets instead of the game's engine.

A 3D fighter would be my next choice, since it could probably actually pull some ideas from the 3D Zelda games in the way it plays. I'm not quite sure what those ideas might include, but I'm sure there's potential there.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Impa is the only Zelda character I had any interest in being playable, so the spirit event is a shame.

I suppose there are other incarnations of Impa they could go with, but I don't know if I see it happening as much since stuff like the first HW and Skyward Sword are pretty old now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am guessing that the Warriors games are now totally out of question to get content in Smash Bros., beyond having this Spirit Event of course. Considering the first Hyrule Warriors also wasn't recognized in both Smash 4 and Ultimate, despite getting 2 ports and thus bring released on 3 different Nintendo systems... That shouldn't have come as a surprise.

We can still hope BotW2 gives us a workable Impa, so that there's at least a "canon" mainstream Zelda title on Impa's name that will peak the interest of Sakuari. But that's a long shot.

I'm only hoping that Impa can at least keep steady appearances in Zelda games, and that her popularity of Age of Calamity carries over to the mainline Zelda developers.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I am guessing that the Warriors games are now totally out of question to get content in Smash Bros., beyond having this Spirit Event of course. Considering the first Hyrule Warriors also wasn't recognized in both Smash 4 and Ultimate, despite getting 2 ports and thus bring released on 3 different Nintendo systems... That shouldn't have come as a surprise.

We can still hope BotW2 gives us a workable Impa, so that there's at least a "canon" mainstream Zelda title on Impa's name that will peak the interest of Sakuari. But that's a long shot.

I'm only hoping that Impa can at least keep steady appearances in Zelda games, and that her popularity of Age of Calamity carries over to the mainline Zelda developers.
oh im sure impa will stick around, maybe not in every game but i doubt we'll ever see the last of her

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
oh im sure impa will stick around, maybe not in every game but i doubt we'll ever see the last of her
She will be around, no doubt. But I meant a bigger overall role, like she did in both Warriors games.

Top Bottom