• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have to ask though, why did they make her look so similar to Paya? Is there a reason for that? She could've had more differences to look unique...
To be honest it's more like Paya looks like Impa, lol. Grandaughter just looks after her Grandma haha.
I'm totally fine with this design honestly, and to be fair she does have some differences:
I think the point is that the two look very very similar, and even though they're related, it's basically to the point that minus any context, you could be forgiven for thinking they were the same character. Which at that point, is maybe too similar.

And yeah there are differences, but considering this is a series where designs of the same character are known to vary widely, it is conspicuous.

But, Paya has a good design, and she was a popular character given the extent of her role in BotW, and that's probably both why they chose to riff on it so closely with Impa, and why people are fine with that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tecmo doesn't choose the designs as far as I know, specially not on this entry where Nintendo was directly influencing how the game would go and allowing them such assets they made and own.
Even so, Impa looks so much like Paya in AoC that it practically looks like they ripped the Paya model from BoTW into AoC and gave the model longer hair and changed the shape a little bit of the facial features. But I guess it could make sense since Paya is Impa's granddaughter.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the point is that the two look very very similar, and even though they're related, it's basically to the point that minus any context, you could be forgiven for thinking they were the same character. Which at that point, is maybe too similar.

And yeah there are differences, but considering this is a series where designs of the same character are known to vary widely, it is conspicuous.

But, Paya has a good design, and she was a popular character given the extent of her role in BotW, and that's probably both why they chose to riff on it so closely with Impa, and why people are fine with that.
Yeah I guess so. I like the design, so it's not that big of a thing overall, it is what it is now, but still don't like them making it so similar.

I would just call it a peeve, I'll get over it lol.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Honestly I can only hope that , even if not playable, they let us see Purah and Robbie now…

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I think that's worth noting is that in addition to Paya's fandom, Impa's look/personality in AoC might be also be in place to contrast her against Zelda and possibly Purah as well.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I have to ask though, why did they make her look so similar to Paya? Is there a reason for that? She could've had more differences to look unique...
It's a common trope for a relative to resemble one of their older relatives. Like so many animes and movies use that plot point, especially movies or episodes with a mansion, whether it'd be haunted or have a serial killer. It's especially common among grandparents and grandchildren characters, where the grandchild very often resembles the grandparent. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Paya's popularity also played into it a bit.

I guess it is a bit uncanny that aside from looking like Paya, so far, Impa also acts like Paya a bit, with how she was used rather comically with her tripping and worried expressions. But this is apparently the beginning of the game. So there is alot of possibility for character development for Impa and we may see her go from a Paya look-alike to the stoic and badass we associate Impa with from Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly I can only hope that , even if not playable, they let us see Purah and Robbie now…
Well apparently they said (via PushDustin) that there's going to be another character revealed tomorrow.

Unless it's a completely new character, there are only so many options as to who it would be really.

Yeah I guess so. I like the design, so it's not that big of a thing overall, it is what it is now, but still don't like them making it so similar.

I would just call it a peeve, I'll get over it lol.
I wish they were a bit more dissimilar too, but given that I think it's overall a good design, my bigger grievance right now is still with the characterization.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's a common trope for a relative to resemble one of their older relatives. Like so many animes and movies use that plot point, especially movies or episodes with a mansion, whether it'd be haunted or have a serial killer. It's especially common among grandparents and grandchildren characters, where the grandchild very often resembles the grandparent. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Paya's popularity also played into it a bit.

I guess it is a bit uncanny that aside from looking like Paya, so far, Impa also acts like Paya a bit, with how she was used rather comically with her tripping and worried expressions. But this is apparently the beginning of the game. So there is alot of possibility for character development for Impa and we may see her go from a Paya look-alike to the stoic and badass we associate Impa with from Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.
Resemblence, but not exact same complex style like this. But anyway, yeah, hoping there'll be development and some hints that tie in to them being related. I dunno.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
VS

if only one of these designs could make it in Smash which would you prefer?
Let's expand on that even more. Which one of these four would you guys pick?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

I would just use AoC impa if that means getting all that amazing moveset we briefly saw. As much as I like HW1 Impa the most in terms of design, it's not what I want in terms of moveset.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
and do the other incarnations of Impa have one?
do the incarnations of zelda in 3 out of her 4 smash appearances have the goddess spells?

So where would y'all rate Impa's chances now?
not happening

Well apparently they said (via PushDustin) that there's going to be another character revealed tomorrow.

Unless it's a completely new character, there are only so many options as to who it would be really.
small guardian

Last edited:

I have a special place in my heart for Skyward Sword, but I do think I'd pick Age of Calamity Impa. Bonus points if the hat floats.

It's funny to me that every iteration of her would have a drastically different moveset. OoT would be completely made up, Skyward Sword would probably have a magic focus, Hyrule Warriors would give her a giant sword or naginata, and Age of Calamity goes full anime ninja including the weaponized garden trowel. Any of them would be super cool. I'm just a big fan of exploding paper tags and floating hats.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Probably a bit late to say this (in general, I mean), but I'm in as a supporter.

I like pretty much all of them. . . well, except for Ocarina of Time. That one looks pretty stupid, I think.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So who do you guys think number 8 is? My bets are either Purah or the King.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

tiny guardian

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I'm betting its the egg boi

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Tingle

Ivander

Smash Legend

I need some clarification for the number of characters. There are 7 characters currently, we know there is an 8th one going to be revealed tomorrow. But was there any confirmation that it's going to be just those 8 characters?

That aside, the Tiny Guardian is definitely a real likelyhood unless the Guardian is meant to be to Link the way Proxy was to Link in the first Hyrule Warriors. If it's not the Guardian, it could be Purah in her actual age. She had a notable role 100 years ago with not just helping with the machinations and Guardians, but also with helping Zelda and Impa get Link to the Shrine of Resurrection. King Rhoam is another notable choice, although we haven't really seen him do much to know what he would use in battle.

If the 8th character is none of the above 3, I'm not sure who it could be.

I don't think it's actually happening, but I want it to be a Yiga. My realistic guess is King Rhoam.

I do think this game will have DLC characters added afterward, though. At that point we might see characters who canonically couldn't be there, like an adult Sidon or Master Kohga.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Considering the trend with the characters so far, I imagine it would be someone allied with Hyrule, but with notable fighting skills. I almost feel like it may be someone big and unexpected, especially since they saw the need to separate the announcement of the character from todays announcements.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I really hope we get a lot more characters. 8 seems too few. Warriors games are known for having large rosters.

Anyone know which Warriors game had the fewest?

As for the next character; I'm hoping for Robbie or Purah.

I really hope we get a lot more characters. 8 seems too few. Warriors games are known for having large rosters.

Anyone know which Warriors game had the fewest?

As for the next character; I'm hoping for Robbie or Purah.
I don't know about fewest, but the first Hyrule Warriors had 16 at launch (if the villains were playable at launch. I don't remember).

There was a Berserk Warriors game that had 8, so that might be the answer.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Persona 5 Scramble had like ten I think? I could see something similar here, since that game also had a canon story I think? More focus on that specific world and characters. I've not played the game, this is all stuff I've seen on twitter/forums so don't quote me on that.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Ouch..... I hope we get more characters. Breath of the Wild had so much potential for characters 100 years before Link awakens.

Robbie, Purah, the King, Hestu, Kass's teacher, even Original characters could show up.

On another note; someone mentioned we could see the Ranch before it got destroyed. Maybe a Malon descendant lived there?

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I think it'll be the King since the first game also had a playable King.

Anyhow, I loved Impa's moveset in this and would really like this to be her moveset if she was in Smash Ultimate.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Having Rhoam playable would also hint at what one of the likely cutscenes will be, and I think we all know the one I'm talking about...

King Rhoam: Zelda, King Dorephan is under attack by the evil forces of Calamaity Ganon. I'm going to Lanayru to aid him.
Zelda: But Father, what if something happens to you?
King Rhoam: I'll take the Sheikah Slate to protect me. If you don't hear from me in a month, send Link.
Zelda: Impa!
Impa: Don't worry, Zelda. The castle fortune teller promises the king will safely return.
King Rhoam: Enough. My carriage leaves in the morning.
A bell rings
King Rhoam: I wonder what's for dinner?
Link: ... holds up dubious dish made of Octorok

You don't really see any other weapon type in or around his cabin, do you?
No, but he's a ghost man who probably doesn't need a weapon period, and I think the only axe that's there is specifically a woodcutter's axe, so I'm a little hesitant to declare the axe to be his weapon of choice when his axe isn't designed for fighting. He just seems to chop down a lot of trees and axes are the best tool for that job.

Odd that he bothers, since he's a ghost, but even ghosts need a hobby I suppose.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Anyone know when the next showing of Age of Calamity will be? I live in the Eastern Time Zone. Edit* I found it out.

Last edited:

Folezicle Lives!

Smash Rookie
Ouch..... I hope we get more characters. Breath of the Wild had so much potential for characters 100 years before Link awakens.

Robbie, Purah, the King, Hestu, Kass's teacher, even Original characters could show up.

On another note; someone mentioned we could see the Ranch before it got destroyed. Maybe a Malon descendant lived there?
I think having a stage where you fight on Tingle and his brothers islands would be cool (they're at the far right of the map) . Like you see their towers and watch it burn to ash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will temper expectations though.

It was a character we already knew about.

We got Daruk gameplay and a reveal of a spear weapon for Link.

Top Bottom