• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament The Shark King Bipedal Pokemon: Garchomp general Discussion

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace

Since I'm maining him for the moment, figured I'd make a social thread for those others sticking to him. He's a pretty solid mix of speed and power with a reliance on physical attacks.
So go ahead and discuss

Omega_Ra1der

Smash Cadet
Ok. Two of his BnBs (X to Forward Y-Y and Mid Air X to Y-Y-Y to cancel Dig) can confirm to burst attack in place of cancel dig/Forward Y-Y or if wall splat happens, another X. Haven't experimented any other combos outside of the recommended combos or done anything further to these combos. And the confirm is true combo.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
One of the neat little quirks they gave Garchomp is that every time he crouches in Duel Phase, he whips his tail out and smacks it on the ground. Every time the animation finishes, he gets a little bit of his Synergy Gauge filled up. It's useful for when your opponent isn't approaching.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Just got Pokken today; it's really fun. Anyways, I'm a Garchomp main and found some cool wall combos. The first one is really inconsistant because it depends on the angle the Dual starts in and spacing at which you would start the combo, but Back Y -> X (and hold) -> Up Y -> Release X works if you're at an angle where you would hit the other person to the highest point of the Up Y. If they slam against the wall before the peak of their flight, you won't be able to get the charged X. This combo does 252 if executed correctly.

Another wall combo that I figured out is Back Y -> Up Y -> Up X -> X. I haven't checked to see if the charged X would work, but I doubt it would. The damage this combo does is largely dependent upon how fast you execute your last X, as that will determine the number of hits you get. I got this one up to about 206-ish.

Also, I tested all of this stuff on Blaziken; I'm not sure if this will work on other characters since I don't know how weights, heights, etc. factor into comboing with this game.

Omega_Ra1der

Smash Cadet
Another wall combo that I figured out is Back Y -> Up Y -> Up X -> X. I haven't checked to see if the charged X would work, but I doubt it would. The damage this combo does is largely dependent upon how fast you execute your last X, as that will determine the number of hits you get. I got this one up to about 206-ish.

Also, I tested all of this stuff on Blaziken; I'm not sure if this will work on other characters since I don't know how weights, heights, etc. factor into comboing with this game.
A easier combo: Up Y Up X~Charge X~ Take a step forward and release x. the damage is 228ish. Both of them can confirm to burst, although it does more damage when used in place of Up X than the X/Charged X by only one but the timing is awkward since you need to catch the opponent mid flight. The other one is easier to do simply Wall Splat happens and you have about 2 secs to trigger the burst which is all of the time you need. Also both works on pika.

Last edited:

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
How do you guys deal with the Gengar MU? I struggle with it greatly.

Early thanks for the help! :ness:
For Gengar it depends on how he plays.

If he's going to camp you out in Field, use Jump + Charge Y to close the gap between you (it works even when he's blocking). Jump + X is also great for gaining distance when punishing one of his laggier moves.
If he's going to camp you out in Duel Phase, Dig mixups are your friend. Dig towards him, if he blocks, cancel with R and Grab (Down + A). If he attacks, just finish using Dig and attack out of it with A. If he Counters, either jump out of Dig and then aerial, or cancel with R and Grab.

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
(What was originally here is bad info but I do have another thing.)

I am testing Burst combos.
(For reference, standard burst does 258.)
The best I could find is X straight into Burst, which does 283.
Generally speaking, doing one move into Burst is best. The exception is Earthquake Burst, which does 25 less damage.
Interestingly if there are two hits in the lead in to Burst and one of them is Back Y, the damage output will be the exact same as just doing the other move into Burst (ex: Back Y burst and 2x Back Y Burst do 266, X Burst and Back Y X Burst do 283)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Garchomp is seriously the most fun character in the game for me.

He is a beast at the wall.

Is it just me or do a lot of people fall for Jump X -> Dual Phase -> Charge Sand Tomb?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yup, me being one of them. It'll take a while for people to get used to each characters movesets.
If it's perfectly spaced and timed, is there an escape?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If it's perfectly spaced and timed, is there an escape?
As long as the character is in an animation for a normal, they are immune to grabs. So even if they can't actually hit Garchomp before the Sand Tomb activates, they can still cancel it out.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've heard some people say that Garchomp isn't actually that good.

That true?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've heard some people say that Garchomp isn't actually that good.

That true?
Well, it is kind of true that his approaches, mainly via Dig and Dragon Rush, can all be defeated by countering. Sceptile can also seriously mess with them by siding up to one of his Leech Seeds.

But he has a great deal of mixup potential with his Earthquake fakeout (r in the air), and Dig is legitimately something characters like Machamp would kill for in bypassing projectiles. And once he's in, you'd better believe he stays there. It also helps that unlike fellow mixup-based characters Gengar and Weavile, Garchomp is tied for highest health with Machamp allowing him to withstand some mistakes.

It's really hard to tell who's lower at this point in the game, though if I had to guess, it'd be Blaziken since Pikachu Libre basically does the same thing he does but with less risk to his health.

Lord Zeppelin

Smash Rookie
NNID
lunaluka
3DS FC
4468-1035-0664
Anyone know recommended support Pokemon for Garchomp? I mainly use Rotom & Togekiss, Cubone & Diglett, and Reshiram & Creselia.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Is there any compilations of how long it takes to fill the synergy gauge? In just about every battle I fight in, the opponent always gets their synergy first when I'm using Garchomp. (also please correct me if I'm using the wrong terms, there's a lot and it's making me confused @_@)
EDIT: A few more things:
After Garchomp's synergy burst attack, I've seen the last hit break shields, but Garchomp doesn't have the frame advantage even then???

Also I don't know where to put this, but in Duel phase, I think Y > Y > Y is safe on shield, but Y > Y > Y > Y isn't, so that's pretty helpful. Y > Y might work too but I need to check again.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
EDIT: A few more things:
After Garchomp's synergy burst attack, I've seen the last hit break shields, but Garchomp doesn't have the frame advantage even then???
Part of its that guard break generally doesn't provide much frame advantage for some ****ing reason in this game, part of it's that Garchomp also feels the need to roar at the end of its burst attack.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Part of its that guard break generally doesn't provide much frame advantage for some ****ing reason in this game, part of it's that Garchomp also feels the need to roar at the end of its burst attack.
He also loses some health when he whiffs the initial strong hit. You know, kinda like how Outrage normally confuses you after your rampage.

Although I should point out that while most designated guard breakers like field homing attacks don't provide frame advantage, a lot of other attacks can, but guards, even for those who have weaker ones take ages to break conventionally. Still, making your enemy lose a huge chunk of synergy is a pretty nice bonus, and devastating to the likes of Gengar.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Garchomp buffs are pretty darn neat.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
wait
"increased the amount of block stun dealt to opponents that block the fourth hit."

I'll have to go check if our Burst Attack is finally safe on shield, and even if it isn't, at least it's safer

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Coach Steve's showing at CEO was spectacular.

Did anyone else see it?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The only other I can immediately think of as being comparable is Rokso.

That said, Coach has some of the best run/Sand Tomb cancels and mix ups I've ever seen.

Lord Zeppelin

Smash Rookie
NNID
lunaluka
3DS FC
4468-1035-0664
There was one guy on YouTube named Boodendorf who used to main Garchomp and was really good with him. I think he dropped him for Mewtwo :(

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Question: Have you ever had the impression that Garchomp islike the lost fifth member of the Street Sharks?

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I'm picking this game up after coming back from Evo; I really liked what I've watched of it although Mega Gengar seems super jank. Playing as the landshark king himself.

Dang there's a lot of grind to beat the main story. Like wow. Geez laweez. And that guide lady *shudders*; also GYEAAAAAHHh

Anyhoo, i might be a scrublord but in field phase i really like first spamming left or right his move that can be cancelled by blocking or jumping to avoid projectiles, cancelling it eventually and then picking a different approach or the same one but straight forward. A lot of his moves are kinda goofy, especially in field phase, but at least it seems he has a handful of really good/fairly safe approach options, just running around being another one of them. I'd play as Muhchamp first if he wasn't such a slowbutt.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Picked up Pokken again after forever and there's some random stuff I found that I want to post before I forget.
Training mode is actually really helpful since you can set the opponent on block and grab on reaction, so you can check if things are safe on block

Duel Phase:
Back Y is safe on shield if spaced at max range (even a little bit less than max range)
- Seems to be a helpful combo tool, like Back Y > Up Y > Back Y > Yx4 (if I remember correctly)
- Not broken because it takes pretty long to come out :c

A (aerial) is also safe on shield (but not against the wall)
- This is really cool because it combos AND it does a ton of damage
- ...but if the opponent expects it anti-aerials and counters hurt a lot :urg:
- Also a good mixup out of Dig (forward A) since the normal Dig isn't safe on shield

Y > Y seems safe on shield, and so is Y > Y > Y, so react and check if the opponent is blocking before the final hit

Down Y doesn't seem to be safe on shield despite looking like it
- Still seems like a helpful poke due to its speed and range, but it doesn't combo into anything :c

Running Stance > X seems to be safe on shield
- Also a really helpful combo tool

Down A (or whatever the command grab is) > Shield (cancels into Running Stance) should be helpful since you can transition into Running Stance without attacking
- You can actually Down A > Running Stance > Down A > Running Stance for a really weird fakeout
- I'm still a noob so I can't utilize this, but hypothetically I think this should be helpful since you can mix up attacks/grabs

Forward Y > Y does way too much damage lol
- When in doubt Forward Y > Y should work as a combo finisher (and Back Y should be a good combo extender)
- Y > Y > Y > Y is the other combo ender

I still don't like how Garchomp loses all of his projectiles in Duel phase :crying:

Field Phase:
Forward Y is WAAAY too good, safe on shield (didn't test this in training mode but I'm PRETTY sure), quick, and transfers into field phase
- If Garchomp had this in Duel Phase I'd have way less trouble playing this game, it'd be so spammable

I heard X (aerial) is good for going into Duel phase, it seems pretty good as an anti-air but I don't think it's safe on shield

I finally tried out Garchomp's Burst Attack on shield, still unsafe but not as bad as before. I'm getting interested in Pokken again but I doubt it'll last long lol

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
the majority of Garchomp's moveset isn't safe really

Field Phase:
Forward A is WAAAY too good, safe on shield (didn't test this in training mode but I'm PRETTY sure), quick, and transfers into field phase
- If Garchomp had this in Duel Phase I'd have way less trouble playing this game, it'd be so spammable
Do you mean a different button here? Forward A is Dig in both phases

Pixel_

Smash Ace
the majority of Garchomp's moveset isn't safe really

Do you mean a different button here? Forward A is Dig in both phases
oops lol I meant Forward Y. My description doesn't describe Dig at all

Pixel_

Smash Ace
It has to be, considering his nigh-unlimited ability to extend combos. There's a reason his level 25 title is Risky Battle Trainer.
I hear about Garchomp's ability to do amazing damage on the wall but I've never done anything noticeable with it. Do you have any example combos or should I just watch professional battles (which I haven't really gotten around to doing yet)?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wall combos generally consist of starting with either running stance x or Sand Tomb (Down+A), then alternating aerial y-> aerial x
and charged Sand Tomb, taking advantage of the latter never causing shifts and resetting scaling.

Top Bottom