• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the secret zelda strats discussionzone

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
curious if anybody has very detailed information on zelda's chainthrow. ive been doing upthrow until they DI hard back then fsmashing/bairing them, dunno if anybody has some wacky stuff like upthrow -> ftilt or something neat

also %s would be appreciated.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
double post

also use this thread to discuss all throw related stuff. like i noticed i can hit peach with upthrow -> upair sometimes????

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
there was a tourney today i went all zelda in pools (1st seed) and then zelda in brackets, i got to winners semifinals then went marth/falco for the rest of the tournament, but i failed and only got 3rd so i'm thinking about working harder on zelda :laugh:. might be some vids soon

kels' fox ****s on my zelda though, makes me sad

i cant beat him anymore with marth/falco either though so why not

TheLake

Smash Master
chain grabs are for scrubs

with good grabs ):

but i admire your determination cosmo!

forward throw to dash attack ***** in zelda dittos

and downthrow to nothing is very effective for fear mindgames

jab to grab works on falcon

beeast

im not so hott with percents though but ill dabble in this more

lets dooo it

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
nice

wow @ fthrow to dash attack LOL never thought of that

yea I've been using dthrow to nothing recently its pretty good lool

edit: HMMMM it looks like Fox can DI fully back and fsmash doesnt reach him :( is it true that fox can always just hold back and there is no punishment possible? if so then i guess FD isnt as good as I thought it was. at tourney yesterday I was chaingrabbin the hell out of this fox, lol like 0-60

on the plus side i realized that down angled ftilt is actually pretty good and usable VS crouching/dtilt spamming sheik — wonder if jiggs would get hit by this????

TheLake

Smash Master
you can down angle forward tilt to punish jiggz into a kick

you should be able to bair the fully DIing away fox...hmmm

FD sucks for zelda OMG!!!! so bad

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
i think you can only bair the fox if he is at higher %s, at low% her upthrow seems useless vs fox?? (not 100% sure on this).

not sure if this holds true for falco/falcon

what is your favorite zelda stage

i thought dreamland was kinda k00l except fox can camp you out there pretty hard
pondering kongo jungle 64 vs certain chars

TheLake

Smash Master
chain throw him then! keep grabbin! if he dis away kick if he doesnt up smash ALOT

over and over and over again

umm yoshis story (2 kicks kills like 110 percent of the cast and your recovery is bawling there.

Dreamland is cool if you want to camp but other than that it is kinda overrated for zelda.

Battlefields not bad...easy edgeguarding

i love platforms so fountain is one of my favs for sure

brinstar is broken

and rainbow cruise is my favorite counterpick of all time

OF alll tiiiime

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
no i mean i don't even think you can chaingrab fox at low% if he DI's backwards fully :(
if you can i wanna know !

yeah i've noticed yoshi's story seems good

aka.carpet003

Smash Cadet
can / should grabs be used for approaches? i just started using zelda :p
also, i know this is unrelated, but if anyone can give me advice on approching that'd be swell :D

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
if they are scared and shielding you can have some fun mixups

grab is one of those. another is sh kick
another is run into the middle of their shield then upsmash LOL

personally i try to get inside their head as much as possible, and when that happens, thats when the grabs come out

but if they aren't shielding/scared, chances are the grab wont work too well... its like the samus grab, you gotta get them afraid first.

for approaching i use dash attack, a lot of dash dance/long wavedash stuff to feel them out, grab if i think they are going to shield, and retreating/approaching fairs and bairs.

edit: take notice of what they do — if you find your dash attack getting shieldgrabbed, perhaps that was a good time to try something else like a grab or a spaced fsmash.

sometimes i throw out Fsmash incase they run into it (it can happen)

aka.carpet003

Smash Cadet
thanks that was really helpful
although i was wondering, how do you handle projectile characters?
Link for example, the links i play know that zelda has a pretty hard time approaching so they spam boomerang and bombs and occasionally use arrows and i can't get near enough.
i can spot dodge and shield and nayru's but it doesn't seem to stop them D:
if you've got any advice that'd be helpful :D

TheLake

Smash Master
Wtf did this always have such an awsome title!?

Jump cancel that grab cosmo! (or dont...one of those works i swear!) even if you cant reach either jab and regrab or dash attack ftw...you got this!

hiya mr.frog guy

watchya gotta do is take them projectiles like a champ

dont forget you can catch bombs with z which are your real threat

if you see that link is pulling out a bomb for zelda just in time for christmas...

KICK HIM! and never let up!

its valentines day forever with zelda

and your opponent is always the *****

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Valentines Day forever with Zelda...I like that Lake, I like it a lot.
from now on any Zelda match i play i will have Happy Valentines Day by Outkast(look up this song now) playing in the background.
"When arrows dont penetrate, Cupid grabs the pistol!" -Andre 3000

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
i thought ftilt was a viable option against sheik but now i think it doesn't work

i think my opponent wasn't playing smart when my ftilt stuff was beating him up

now i think the best zelda vs sheik strat is to be stupidly aggressive so there's no time to get baited into a grab

i used to camp against sheik (spammin kicks and waveland fsmash and stuff) but i don't think that's the right way to go anymore.

:) i've noticed all sheik's tilts can be DI'd out of before the kill move hits you, so you only have to worry about the grab -> fair/uair being an auto-killer.

also I'm getting MAD zelda v samus experience I hope I fight some samus players at SMYM!

TheLake

Smash Master
samus is sooo fun, zelda can definately relax in that matchup

Except against hugs...hes like....crazy amazing <3

I agree on the aggressive/hopful thing on shiek though

that and pray

to whatever god you can!

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
so it turns out my vids from last tournament were not recorded (:() I would like to get up new vids sometime soon maybe at smym or even before that

darkatma

Smash Hero
cosmo, find me at SMYM11. We can both work on our zelda games.
As for zelda stages, Yoshi Story is the best, because not only are the blast zones the closest, the left and right platforms jut out from the stage slightly, which really helps zelda's recovery if she's directly below. I'll explain that sometime if you don't know what i mean

Also, zelda's grab is the only one that has a grabbox above her head. So that makes chaingrabbing really easy if they don't DI.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
we'll definitely play darkatma

I like yoshi's vs a lot of chars but I struggle there vs fox (ledgehop waveland onto the platform is irritating), marth (he controls it pretty well), and ganondorf (i feel he also controls the stage too well)

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah, overall I think yoshi's is zelda's best stage. Wouldn't go there against ganon or marth though, it's more advantageous for them. I would still CP yoshi's against a fox however. Larger stages leave zelda more open to being camped by fox so I prefer to stick with small stages for the matchup

I never taken advantage of any chaingrabs with zelda before though... I wasn't aware she really had any. Gotta start messing around with this

I'm really in a zelda mood though after playing a lot of friendlies with her to prep for a low tier tourney which didn't actually end up happening. Man, I wish the zelda boards were a little more lively sometimes lol

TheLake

Smash Master
I know!

We need to get this party jumpin

We zeldas gotta splash more at tourneys so folks can be like

"OMG YOU CAN KICK WITH ZELDA!?"

Zeldas gotta start a movment

beyond just kicking in the air...

actually...

that'll do just nicely

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I usually use it, for my fox/falco game. can work on other fast fallers wth bad DI. I usually use it as a scare tactic, instead i'll set up for a dash attack or something else.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I went about 50% zelda at CGC this last weekend and got pretty close to taking a few games off of good players, but couldn't quite do it. I definitely feel like I've got the peach match-up down now though

TheLake

Smash Master
Ive uhh kicked things with zelda before

Good luck chaps!

try to get stuff filmed

never give up

and for the love of god dont stop kicking!

I expect a full status report!

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
A good fox player will just run away and laser you though until your at a high enough percent that he can finish you with practically any move. Not all fox players are smart enough to do this thankfully

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
A good fox player will just run away and laser you though until your at a high enough percent that he can finish you with practically any move. Not all fox players are smart enough to do this thankfully
a good fox player will do this but use platforms to make himself practically invincible on stages like dreamland, and even battlefield and smaller stages to some extent

at least on FD he has to pass through you in some way to reach the other side of the stage, which gives you an opportunity to strike

the good news is I don't feel fox really gets free kills on zelda like sheik does. a blocked usmash is a free kick, and things like jabs can be ASDI techrolled. also you can often put yourself in a situation where if he DOES hit you with a nair/bair that it is the weaker hitbox.

TheLake

Smash Master
platforms are free kicks

nuff said

Fd you arent guranteed ANYTHING ever

oh and screw shiek

with zelda

so you can give birth to terra

Top Bottom