• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Second Pokémon on the Dex - Ivysaur's Magical Leap

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I just noticed how there were no veteran thread for Ivysaur, which I think is a bit sad.

Ivysaur was a great character, and the only one on 4-legs in Brawl.
Ivysaur was unique, and had powerful moves.

Is there anything you would like to see changed for Ivysaur?
What would be it's new Down-B move?

Discuss everything Ivysaur related here.

Pokémon Trainer Discord
https://discord.gg/AW3CGmJ

-------------------------

Personally, I really want Ivysaur to come back. It was a unique character, both as a Pokémon, but also a Smash-fighter. If she (I'll use she) comes back to Smash, I want her to have her own slot. I also would love it for Squirtle to come back too, of course, but Ivysaur was one of my mains in Brawl.

I still think it was bit sad to see Ivysaur get the short end of the stick in Smash 4.
Also, another reason of mine is because my favourite starter was always Bulbasaur.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I absolutely loved the Pokémon Trainer in Brawl. That was the only character so far that came out of absolutely nowhere, and I was hyped about him from day one.

It's a pity they removed transformations since Squirtle and Ivysaur can't easily stand on their own. I actually preferred both to Charizard in game, as both of the other mons had great uses.

I hope that Sakurai and co. are not turned off from the transformations, because it was a great gimmick for these three. I would like if the transform was fixed (so it happened instantly and you didn't have to wait for another character to load) and/or if it was moved to a taunt (so you could choose which mon to bring out next, and also not lose a fourth special)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's a great idea, and I would not mind that at all.
Don't mind if they had their own Final Smashes, but the one from Brawl was not bad at all either.

For the sake of Red/Pokémon Trainer, they should keep the tranformation, but I do not mind if they held their own spot with their own fully fletched moves.

Morbi

Scavenger
She? You need to get your ears checked, fam. Perhaps if "she" had a serious case of testosterone and smoker's lungs.

That being said, yes, I would love for him to return without the weight of irrelevant Pokemon such as Squirtle and Charizard. Why are they irrelevant? Because they are boring af. Ivysaur was so fun, but because of the fatigue mechanic, I rarely if ever played them outside of Project M.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Why? I heard some time ago about something about female Venusaur that was also linked to the Ivysaur we had in Brawl, pluss... Ivy is a much better female name than male, but use your imagination, it could be whatever you want it to be. Just like every other Pokémon (with some exceptions).

Ivy is indeed quite fun, so I hope it comes back for Smash 4, that would been great.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why? I heard some time ago about something about female Venusaur that was also linked to the Ivysaur we had in Brawl, pluss... Ivy is a much better female name than male, but use your imagination, it could be whatever you want it to be. Just like every other Pokémon (with some exceptions).

Ivy is indeed quite fun, so I hope it comes back for Smash 4, that would been great.
I suppose there are female Machamps, yeah? To be completely fair, I believe the Japanese voice is feminine. But, like, seriously, the English voice actor does not leave room for interpretation as far as I am concerned.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Female Venusaur have a seed in the flower, whereas males don’t. People thought they saw a seed in the flower for Ivysaur, but I think it just looks like the yellow center of a flower, which the male has.

I usually thought of Ivy as male since there’s a high m/f gender ratio, and also sonce Bulbasaur and Squirtle had the best bromance in the anime.

I do think it would be cool for some alternate costumes to play with this, e.g. Leaf as the trainer, and then bows on her Pokémon like what Charla has in the anime, or that decorated Squirtle in the episode with the fashion show. It’d also be great to see a Team Rocket trainer where each mon has a black bandana or shades (Squirtle squad?)

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I noticed Ivysaur was absent from the Veterans section, too. I was thinking about making one to complete the roster, bit it's more appropriate that you did (Ivysaur was never a main for me).

As with all veterans, I hope Ivysaur returns. I feel bad that he's largely forgotten when conpared to Wolf, Snake, or even Pichu and Squrtile.

I loved his seed attack, and though I never used him much, I find that you never know what will happen in Smash when it comes to maining a character. I never expected to main Samus in Melee or Jigglgpuff in U/3DS. Although some may ignore Ivysaur, he is deserved of getting another chance. :ivysaur:

(I would like to see Pokemon Trainer return at the helm of he and Squirtle. Charizard has always been a rogue and likely wouldn't let the Trainer catch him again, anyhow. ;))

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ivysaur unfortunately has a low chance to return, probably in the same boat now as Pichu and Young Link. There's a chance....just a pretty small one.

But man oh man I loved Ivysaur and it would be a dream come true if it returned. I would main that Pokemon so fast

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Here's my suggestion:
Keep Charizard as his upgraded status as a fully independent Pokemon fighter, but bring Red back with all three starters.

THIS Red (with Blue and Female swaps), not Champion Red with the fully evolved starters.

Q: But where is Ivysaur?
A: Simple. Have an alt for middle evolutions.

Q: But what about size? Aren't the middle evolutions bigger?
A: Yes, but not much. And Smash is really not consistent with canonical Pokemon sizes, like at all. As long as they are still small compared to humanoid characters like Marth and Samus, then it would still look fine. And since the starters are already small, it fits perfectly. We're not talking Charmander to Charizard levels of size difference.

And if Sakurai wants to be extra, extra, extra kind to us, we could be able to change the skin of the Trainer and each Pokemon individually. So we could have Red with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charmander, Blue with Wartorle, Bulbasaur, and Charmeleon, or Leaf with Purple Squirtle, Yellow Bulbaur, and Blue Charmeleon.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I really just want Sakurai to give in and say "f*ck it, I'll bring back ALL veterans" and we get them ALL back, no matter how 'irrelevant' they may be. They were once a part of a Smash Bros. game and that immortalizes them above sooo many other video game characters. In that sense, Ivysaur (and Squirtle, and the others like Pichu etc.) are some of the most important Pokemon characters ever.

And Sakurai has shown that it's not impossible to bring characters back from the dead, such as Mewtwo and Dr. Mario. Gotta hold onto that hope...

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I really just want Sakurai to give in and say "f*ck it, I'll bring back ALL veterans" and we get them ALL back, no matter how 'irrelevant' they may be. They were once a part of a Smash Bros. game and that immortalizes them above sooo many other video game characters.
That's exactly how I feel.
He once said that it weighs heavily on him to cut characters, since he knows they were someone's favorite. Maybe he wil consider bringing everyone back.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's say Ivysaur did return as a standalone fighter. At least two of his specials would likely be replaced, and perhaps even a third if they replaced Bullet Seed.

I could see some sort of powder move or Synthesis as its down special, and maybe something like Leaf Storm as a recovery? Swirling up in a gust of leaves? I mean Greninja uses Hydro Pump as a recovery move so anything is possible. :p

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
I'd want Ivysaur to have Toxic as its Down B. Imagine hitting someone with Lip's Stick whenever you want. Leech Seed would be crazy as a draining move. Solarbeam probably still works as a Final Smash.

I second Leaf Storm as a recovery.

D

Deleted member

I'd want Ivysaur to have Toxic as its Down B. Imagine hitting someone with Lip's Stick whenever you want. Leech Seed would be crazy as a draining move. Solarbeam probably still works as a Final Smash.

I second Leaf Storm as a recovery.
So this is what I'd love to see:

Up Special: Leaf Storm
Down Special: Poison Powder
Neutral Special: Leech Seed
Side Special: Razor Leaf
Grab: Vine Whip (plus some standard attacks use the vine whip and maybe the original Up Special could be used for a new Up Smash or something)
Final Smash: Solar Beam

Leaf Storm would envelop Ivysaur with multi-hitting leaves as it slowly rises upwards; it would grant decent recovery distance while providing Ivysaur some protection against those trying to gimp it (but stronger attacks could still get through).

Poison Powder would have a slight startup delay and relatively short range (akin to Jigglypuff's Sing) but would instantly poison nearby fighters for a certain amount of time. I could imagine a custom move of Sleep Powder that would function like Sing. Poison Powder is also a good choice because Ivysaur is actually a dual-type Grass/Poison.

Leech Seed would launch a seed mostly vertical but which can be aimed slightly similar to how you can control Pit's arrows (but not to that degree). If it hits a fighter, they take damage over maybe 5 seconds and Ivysaur recovers the same amount. During this time, Leech Seed cannot be used again, so you have to wait until the draining is done before launching another seed. Bullet Seed could work as a custom move, as well as Seed Bomb.

Razor Leaf would be largely the same and the only truly unchanged Special, but it would be nice if it were a little bit faster or something. Magical Leaf could work as a custom move, whose leaves home in on targets.

Ivysaur would thus be a very defensive and tricky character with great spacing options to keep opponents at bay all while whittling down their health. Its best kill moves (besides a great Final Smash in Solar Beam) would probably be any attacks with the Vine Whip, and that could replace previous Smash Attacks. It would have two recovery options, medium weight/speed, and I think would just be tons of fun. Please Sakurai PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
We did it guys! Our Ivy is back, I'm so happy.

When I first saw it, I was so amazed. Really glad for our girl.

I literally own the Ridley thread.
Ridley was my most wanted.

Ivysaur popping up was my highlight of the direct. that was when i knew what they meant when they said "no cuts" in the leak.
EVERYONE IS
HERE

Was so excited to see one of my most played from Brawl back. And now with pokemon trainer seemingly buffed to all hell i'll be able to play all 3 kanto-mons without feeling like an idiot. . .but I will assuredly play ivysaur mostly :p
:061:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I thought the sun had set as quickly as it had risen for Ivysaur. I never thought we'd see him again. So great for he and his fans to have another chance.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Anybody here get a chance to play the demo (at e3 or in New York?) Curious if they changed Ivysaur’s up-B. In Brawl it was just a tether.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
They didnt.still a weakness
Well, with how fast the switches are , and being able to switch mid-air, you MIGHT be able to switch to the next pokemon for recovery. You'll have to find a way to switch back once you made it, of course.

D

Deleted member

Congrats everyone!!!! Ivysaur was one of my most wanted characters and my MOST wanted veteran to return which was really disheartening to see that for most everyone else, Ivysaur was like bottom priority. NO ONE expected it to return.

Thus, I couldn't have asked for anything more from this E3. The impossible was made possible.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm actually super psyched to have Ivysaur back because he really is one of my favourite pokemon.

Question: If pokemon switch was changed to Shield Special (like Inkling refill) what would you want to see from the down special? Not justwhich move but what do you think Ivysaur needs?

Count Bleck

Smash Cadet
Saw some ivysaur footage on the Nintendo channel today. Looks like Bullet Seed got the Jab rework treatment where its no longer infinite. it seems like before, it launches enemies up into the air, but after a short burst of bullets it launches them. Might possibly be a kill move, could see this woring to catch people above you on a platform.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm actually super psyched to have Ivysaur back because he really is one of my favourite pokemon.

Question: If pokemon switch was changed to Shield Special (like Inkling refill) what would you want to see from the down special? Not justwhich move but what do you think Ivysaur needs?
Solar Beam, like in Project M and Legacy XP. THAT would be killer.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Sometimes I really just want Sakurai to give in and say "f*ck it, I'll bring back ALL veterans" and we get them ALL back, no matter how 'irrelevant' they may be. They were once a part of a Smash Bros. game and that immortalizes them above sooo many other video game characters. In that sense, Ivysaur (and Squirtle, and the others like Pichu etc.) are some of the most important Pokemon characters ever.

And Sakurai has shown that it's not impossible to bring characters back from the dead, such as Mewtwo and Dr. Mario. Gotta hold onto that hope...
HOW DID YOU PREDICT THIS SO PERFECTLY

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing bothering me. I have not seen a single person use Ivysaur's special attacks.

I just want to see if Razor Leaf is faster, is that too much to ask?

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur was definitely my most wanted returning veteran out of those who didn't make it into Smash4. I'm thrilled to see Pokemon Trainer return, and the fatigue mechanic done away with.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It looks like Bullet Seed stops earlier now. I will miss trapping fat heavy weights in Bullet Seed for ages and 40% damages. Bullet Seed was one of his jankiest moves.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
'cuz I love Ivysaur, I put together an image with all of her alt colors, since I couldn't find that anywhere.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find footage of the DP color trainer at all.

I'm really unsure which is my favorite, quite a lot of them seem quite same-y. Though I think I like the green and white flower ones the best. I'll probably end up playing the white flower one, since that trainer color is a nod to BW, my favorite generation of Pokémon.

EDIT: Since the image link seems to be broken, here's a link to the image.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
it's too bad that ivysaur's palette swaps are so lame, but they're usable at the least

i'm interested in what the DP trainer's ivysaur looks like since gen 4 is my favorite

D

Deleted member

it's too bad that ivysaur's palette swaps are so lame, but they're usable at the least

i'm interested in what the DP trainer's ivysaur looks like since gen 4 is my favorite
Yeah there's a few good ones but the rest are kinda samey. Oh well.

Top Bottom