• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Scottish Smash Thread

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
i think if people want to play brawl then a brawl setup should be available at least. I think that is only fair and could boost the small scottish smash scene.

i will be willing to play brawl
Thanks jalued but there's no point for me (and others?) to try and get people to play Brawl if you guys just don't really like it.

Originally posted by InvisibleMuffin
but no game is any fun if you're playing with people who aren't interested in it.
Aaaaannnd pretty much this lol.

InvisibleMuffin

Smash Cadet
I can assure you I'd play you if I came and you did, I feel I'm far better at Brawl than Melee so I can feel all warm and fuzzy inside from doing things right, and in my opinion it would be great for the community if we could get 2 co-current and intertwined communities of Brawl and Melee.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
AWrite guys. There was me thinking I'd have to give up brawl in 2 weeks when I head up to St Andrews for 3 years. Honestly I was having nightmares. Smash withdrawal is a bad thing to go through. =P

How big is brawl reli up there? How do I get started in smashfests/tourneys? (Basically who else is near st andrews?)

jalued

Smash Lord
AWrite guys. There was me thinking I'd have to give up brawl in 2 weeks when I head up to St Andrews for 3 years. Honestly I was having nightmares. Smash withdrawal is a bad thing to go through. =P

How big is brawl reli up there? How do I get started in smashfests/tourneys? (Basically who else is near st andrews?)
medical student? and there is absolutely no smash scene in St Andrews! trust me, i was there for a year haha

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
medical student? and there is absolutely no smash scene in St Andrews! trust me, i was there for a year haha
nooooo

How tf will I survive?? :p

(and no imma chemi student)

Edinburgh's a bit far, it's like 90 mins (I believe) which isn't entirely practical since I don't have a car. I guess I'll just have to teach some other people how to play and make do lol

jalued

Smash Lord
nooooo

Edinburgh's a bit far, it's like 90 mins (I believe) which isn't entirely practical since I don't have a car. I guess I'll just have to teach some other people how to play and make do lol
yeah its pretty much 90min and costs £11 return by coach. You should at least come for a few smashfests :)

grayfox

Smash Champion
Mate if you cant handle 90 mins on a bus your not gonna get much smash, a few years ago we had to go to bloody Sweden to play!

As for Brawl I'm up for a few games cause its pretty fun but I'm not very good and wouldn't be taking it all that serious.

ac_anon

Smash Ace
its like playing melee with mittens on, but you will probably still find some people willing to play, you should give melee a go as well, a lot of people who tried to get brawl going in scotland found they prefered melee anyway.

also do you want me to bring anything tomorrow? I can't bring a tv but i have a wii

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
90 mins it is then I guess lol it's better than I initially expected I wont lie. I'm much happier playing it even if noone is taking it seriously =P

I've heard a lot about melee being better but am having a hard time believing it. As far as I can tell it's more fun to play because of how openly you can attack, but to me the fact that it's easier just makes it seem like you don't have to think as much. I guess the least I can do is give it a try, never know, I may end up converted lol
(I did play it when brawl wasn't out yet but never competitively, and never that well)

grayfox

Smash Champion
Melee being easier is far from a fact, try it out you might change your mind! You going to tomorrows thing bro? What about everyone else, whose goin? I'm working tonight so I won't be able to come real early but I'm sure I can turn up at some point, whats the plan?

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
I is not up for tomoro cos I'm still in south england atm with no car..

ac_anon

Smash Ace
90 mins it is then I guess lol it's better than I initially expected I wont lie. I'm much happier playing it even if noone is taking it seriously =P

I've heard a lot about melee being better but am having a hard time believing it. As far as I can tell it's more fun to play because of how openly you can attack, but to me the fact that it's easier just makes it seem like you don't have to think as much. I guess the least I can do is give it a try, never know, I may end up converted lol
(I did play it when brawl wasn't out yet but never competitively, and never that well)
one of the things about melee that isn't really in brawl is hit stun, it allows you to hit someone and for a split second in most cases, be free from being instantly attacked back. Brawl doesn't really have this so all the fights just seem like the characters are bumping into each other until one does enough damage to knock the other off, it just feels so imprecise.

but then im bias. I don't really have the time or the inclination to learn a new game.

Il be heading up tomorrow Ryan, I believe paul is coming through at some point, il be on msn later probably or you can text me.

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
Yo guys so for tomorrow if everyone could get to my place at noon the earliest that would be awesome since i prolly wont be up before then.

If you have any problems getting to my place my mobile is : 07518467476

Once again my address is
Flat 2F2
22 West Savile Terrace
EH9 3EA

Micklem -welcome to the community man! I will be hosting smashfests at least once a month so you should make sure u have 11 pounds every month to get ur *** over here!

Paul - Are u even coming 2moro man? if so when u gonna get here?

Grayfox - would be awesome to play u again! come on by!

Allan - I need samus practice!!!!

Yuichi and trevor - moving to dundee is no excuse for not coming!

Hopefully i'll see all u guys 2moro!

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
one of the things about melee that isn't really in brawl is hit stun, it allows you to hit someone and for a split second in most cases, be free from being instantly attacked back. Brawl doesn't really have this so all the fights just seem like the characters are bumping into each other until one does enough damage to knock the other off, it just feels so imprecise.

but then im bias. I don't really have the time or the inclination to learn a new game.
I can totally see why it would seem like that, but to me it just means that your approaches have to be considered. When you go all in on attacks, you literally have to go all in. It's entertaining for different reasons.

And whilst I am currently posing as the 'modern' one, telling all you old-fashioned people to get with the times, I entirely realise the hypocrasy. I have no doubt that, when SSB4 comes out, I will refuse to play it since it's 'so much worse than brawl, and it requires so little skill by comparison'

Micklem -welcome to the community man! I will be hosting smashfests at least once a month so you should make sure u have 11 pounds every month to get ur *** over here!
Why thank you, and yes I will. Is this to include brawl? Otherwise I'm gonna be fairly **** I won't lie

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
the thing about brawl is that there are no combos!!!!!!

Micklem - everyone in edinburgh pretty much only plays melee although i wouldn't mind playing some brawl with you at the fests for a little while. but it will mostly be melee. But if you haven't played competitive melee before you should come and see how much more awesome it is than brawl.

InvisibleMuffin

Smash Cadet
nooooo

If you go to edinburgh and I'm going too then there will be brawl there if you want to play me at least.

Who do you use?

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
If you go to edinburgh and I'm going too then there will be brawl there if you want to play me at least.

Who do you use?
Great, that'll be cool

I use falco mostly. But also kirby and wolf. And captain falcon of course, but not often because I like to give people a chance =P

where in the south are you from?

I'm in petersfield atm

**and yes I'm aware brawl has more combos lol the vid isnt supposed to be taken seriously

InvisibleMuffin

Smash Cadet
the vid isnt supposed to be taken seriously
No ****, lol.

I'm just thinking of the Gonzo combo... Fthrow uair regrab fthrow uair turnaround utilt... :)

But I use Marth, and Metaknight when I feel like being a douchebag. Ness and Captain Falcon are reserved for when business gets serious.

fortunecookie

Smash Journeyman
heyy so I'm running a brawl tournament this sunday at the University of Edinburgh Teviot Row house as part of the University video game society fresher's LAN event!

the tournament will be starting at 3pm this sunday 19th september!

I kno this is pretty late notice so i wont be TOO bummed if u guys dont turn up.

also if anyone interested needs housing i have plenty of space at my flat ;)

Moogle - I've never seen you post on the scottish thread before and it turns out ur from scotland! and u've been around a while too! How is this possible? You should come down to edinburgh to one of my fests!

Top Bottom