• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

This is the thread to support Ayumi Tachibana and the nameless protagonist from Famicom Tantei Club.

What is Famicom Tantei Club?
Famicom Tantei Club is one of the original Famicom Disk System series, created by Gunpei Yokoi and developed by Nintendo R&D1. It was a text-based series, one of the firsts of the kind.
Famicom Tantei Club had some similarities with another text-based series, Famicom Mukashi Banashi:
1) The games from both series occupied two disks each.
2) Two games from each series were released for the Famicom Disk System: The Missing Heir and its prequel The Girl Who Stands In the Back were Famicom Tantei Club games, while Shin Onigashima and Yuyuki were Famicom Mukashi Banashi games.
3) Both franchises were revived for the Satellaview.
4) There is now an official remake of the first two game coming to the Switch complete with new designs by the SteinsGate creator. Thus marking the first time in years the series ever had a new title.

Who are those characters?
The detective is the nameless protagonist of the first two games of the series. He worked as an assistant of Shunsuke Utsugi. The player controls him via text-based commands in order to interact with people and look for clues.
Ayumi Tachibana is a girl who was a member of the detective of club of her school. She later joins the Utsugi detective agency as an assistant. She was the protagonist of the third game of the series, Lost Memories In the Snow.

In Melee, Ayumi appears as a trophy. In Brawl, the main theme of The Girl Who Stands In the Back plays shortly during the NES Medley. She recently appears as an unlockable costume for Super Mario Maker in Expert Mode as an 8-bt costume (complete with Famicom Detective Club Host/sound effects).

Ayumi Tachibana herself was originally considered for Melee according to Sakurai, but was decided against because of lack of Western familiarity (Plus, a FDC character having fewer requests in comparison to any Fire Emblem characters). The trophy that you saw in the game could have been something you would receive for beating Classic Mode with her.

Some music:

Link to the support thread for Ayumi Tachibana in Brawl: http://smashboards.com/threads/better-wtf-character-ayumi-tachibana.99257/
Oh, and there are some really cool fanarts of them in Pixiv. Use this search term: "ファミコン探偵倶楽部"

Ayumi Tachibana Moveset
Ayumi is not a skilled fighter, that's for sure. As such, her moveset is based around the idea that she starts off weak, and has to use defensive skills to keep her safe (ie, she could have a ranged flashlight attack). Taking some inspiration from Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Ayumi's Down B technique would be to search for evidence. In a way, this attack is meant to serve as a buff and as a debuff. As she collects more evidence, she gets stronger and stronger (kind of like a certain Aura Pokemon’s gimmick, except based on a special stat). Overall, it should be considered a "confidence" stat - when she has found more evidence, she can do better overall. This stat affects the damage of every attack she has.
STATS
Screen Name: Ayumi Tachibana
Size: 5/10
Weight: 3/10
(Running) Speed: 5/10
Power: Varies, but starts at 3/10
Jump: 5/10
Fall Speed: 6/10
Crouch: Yes
Crawl: No you perverts!
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: Yes. (which character doesn't?)
Entrance Animation: Ayumi walks onto the stage with her partner the Protagonist, who would leave her behind and she begs for him not to go.
Idle Animation: She stands nervously with her hands at her side. Sometimes she would mess around with her ponytail or even look at her map from the BS sequel.
Walking Animation: She walks slowly like any timid girl would do.
Running Animation: She runs quickly while shuffling her arms within each stop (typical schoolgirl run).
Stunned Animation: She struggles to hold herself up like she’s preparing to faint with her hands wobbling and eyes looking faint.
Sleeping Animation: She sleeps on her back peacefully like she’s doing so back in her home in Ochitana Village.
B: Evidence -Ayumi, using the evidence she had gathered, confronts the opponent with their apparent "crime". Ayumi fires the evidence at the opponent, who must dodge, parry, and shield the best he or she can since it’s a fast moving projectile. The opponent has a health meter for this portion, which depletes when an attack is not shielded, parried, or dodged. The more evidence Ayumi has, the more likely she is to come out the victor. But if she throws every evidence she has, she is back to her default strength. She would start the match without any evidence like how Olimar would start with few Pikmin in any Smash round.
Magnifying Glass: A light and fast moving projectile that deals minimal damage.
Vase: A heavier object that shatters upon impact and can’t be thrown very far, slightly stinger damage.
Coffee: It’s a projectile that can be thrown half the distance of the magnifying glass and can put foes to sleep upon impact.
T.U. Pen: Throw farther and faster than the magnifying glass to deal minimal slash damage.
Plastering Tools: Does more damage than the pen, but can be thrown at a short distance due to weight. Has a high possibility of breaking shields and other defenses.
Mirror Shard: The rarest evidence of the bunch, it can be thrown at the fastest speed in comparison to any projectile and deals more slash damage than the T.U. Pen.
Side B: Flashlight - A ranged attack that does no knockback or damage, but stuns the opponent, giving her time to build up her evidence.
Up B: Umbrella - Ayumi pulls out her umbrella, and a gust of wind carries her upward and sideways. Unlike Peach’s, it’s a non damaging move and she can cancel it more easily.
Down B: Evidence Shift - Works as described in lead paragraph. Does nothing if she already has all three pieces of evidence. All of the B attacks are designed to be around defense or general non-violence with the exception of the Neutral Special. Some of these items include material like magnifying glass, vase, coffee, T.U. pen, plastering tools, and mirror shard.
Final Smash: The Girl in the Back- An ominous “Ayuuuuuuumiiiii!” can be heard as Ayumi herself grow scared and shivers in fear. The screen starts to dark with a minor fog rolling in to surround her body. Then the ghost of Yoko Kojima suddenly appears with her tattered appearance and Ayum looks back at her. The ghost would emit a banshee like wail that terrifies her living friend and any other fighter around a medium sized radius. This would then send opponents flying away and they would have a high chance of being KO’d depending on how high their damage meter is (Think the 5-volt stage hazard from the Gamer stage). Once the Final Smash is over, the ghastly girl would disappear leaving Ayumi covering her head in fear. The terrified girl would get up and look around to see if the ghost is gone and sighs in relief after it’s over.
A (low confidence): A light slap (like the one any girl would do)
A (high confidence): A simple jab
AA (high confidence): A harder jab
AAA (high confidence): The last jab required for kickback.
Dash A (low confidence): Trip & Tumble - Ayumi clumsily trips on her shoe and tumbles back onto her feet.
Dash A (high confidence): Ayumi leaps forward and performs a kick.
Up tilt (low confidence): Ayumi blindly slaps into the air.
Up tilt (high confidence): Ayumi throws a quick punch into the air.
Down tilt (low confidence): Ayumi does a light kick.
Down A (high confidence): Ayumi trips the opponent with her left leg.
Forward tilt (low confidence): Ayumi throws a small rock.
Forward tilt (high confidence): Ayumi throws this rock at a further distance with some strength in the projectile.
Forward Smash (low confidence): Ayumi swings her shoulder case.
Forward Smash (high confidence): Ayumi performs a multi-punch attack.
Up Smash (low confidence): Ayumi performs an ineffectual attack into the air with her shoulder case.
Up Smash (high confidence): Ayumi uppercuts into the air.
Down Smash (low confidence): Ayumi swings her handbag downwards.
Down Smash (high confidence): Ayumi kicks the opponent down into the ground hard.
Neutral air (low confidence): Swings a school book.
Neutral air (high confidence): Does a rotational kick with her left leg.
Forward air (low confidence): Pops her parasol open forward.
Forward air (high confidence): Does a punch that carries with it a small forward movement.
Back air (low confidence): Quickly swings her shoulder case behind her.
Back air (high confidence): Sharply jabs backwards with her elbow.
Up air (low confidence): Pops her parasol open upward gives her a small lift, but is closed quickly afterward).
Up air (high confidence): Does an uppercut into the air, which gives her a small lift.
Down air (low confidence): Swings her map from the Sattelaview sequel downwards.
Down air (high confidence): Does a divekick.
Grab (low confidence): Reluctantly grabs the opponent.
Grab (high confidence): Twists the opponent's arm behind his or her back like a detective.
Pummel (low confidence): Slaps the opponent.
Pummel (high confidence): Punches the opponent.
Forward Throw (low confidence): Pushes the opponent away (hard enough to create SOME distance at least).
Forward Throw (high confidence): Headbutts the opponent and launches him or her forward.
Up Throw (low confidence): Tosses them slightly into the air.
Up Throw (high confidence): Punches the opponent in the chin and sends him or her upward.
Back Throw (low confidence): Spins around behind the opponent and shoves him or her.
Back Throw (high confidence): Swings the opponent around and around and throws him or her behind her.
Down Throw (low confidence): Flings the foe down in fear.
Down Throw (high confidence): Lays the foe on the ground for a quick punt with her foot.
Taunt 1 (low confidence): She pulls out a photo and says “Oh Yoko” in a sorrowful tone.
Taunt 1 (high confidence): Pulls out a thick notebook and reads its contents.
Taunt 2 (low confidence): Looks through her shoulder case in a panicked gesture.
Taunt 2 (high confidence): Pulls a magnifying glass out of her shoulder case and examines a piece of evidence.
Taunt 3 (low confidence): Tries to get her phone to work, only to become give up to lack of patience.
Taunt 3 (high confidence): Calls somebody on the phone, and then hangs up.
Victory Animation 1: She cheers by jumping in excitement and says “I did it!” before doing a V for Victory pose.
Victory Animation 2: She holds her hand in front of her chest while saying “Yoko, I bet you’ll be proud of the justice I commit today” before looking at the camera with a sad look.
Victory Animation 3: The Protagonist would appear beside her and rubs her head like an older brother would. Ayumi would say “Stop that, we know that the case was solved” before glaring at him, which would cause him to laugh at her.
Lose Animation: She cries with her eyes open and sorrowful look on her face, reference to The Girl in the Back’s intro when she saw Yoko’s corpse.
Series Icon: A detective’s magnifying glass
Victory Theme: A remixed part of Famciom Tantei Club II’s Title Screen Intro.

Operation Tachibana Discord

https://discord.gg/dtKu8ej

List of Detective Club Members:
Yomi's Biggest Fan
Aussie the Shinobi
Blue_Sword_Edge
Kirbeh
smashkirby
Basty
ZestyN
TCT~Phantom
Thatkidwiththeafro
AustarusIV
TechPowah
Rupan
Ura
KeybladeSmasher
Ghirahilda
TheXenobladeGuy
ThatRandomAce
GoodGrief741
dezeray112
SquashiniKun
KitKat
Shinuto
kool2419
Phantom Joker
LancerJayden
Takasmash
SHOSTUNDAVE
mediyogurt
SEGAGameboy
Demonfunds
ThoughtfulWanderer
AzureFlame4
EricTheGamerman
BlueSectorMIrage
OptimisticStrifer
JadeGamer22
RetroGamerMax
Misery Brick
FlyBoy
Mr. J
Crap-Zapper
Smashing Ramen
TyrantLizardKing
FalconFire93
Dyllybirdy
zferolie
Oracle_Summon
Jyl
scoobymcsnack
chocolatejr9
Taigiry
Wurple for Smash
Denoxkun
Smash Puffle
BZL8
Garteam
FamicomDisk

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Still support.

Though the only thing we can do is wait for the day Nintendo either localizes the original games for Virtual Console or revive the series with a new team. Ayumi's been stuck in that Japan-only bubble for a while and I doubt Super Mario Maker would do much to help her.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Still support.

Though the only thing we can do is wait for the day Nintendo either localizes the original games for Virtual Console or revive the series with a new team. Ayumi's been stuck in that Japan-only bubble for a while and I doubt Super Mario Maker would do much to help her.
Pretty much. She's definitely in a very very tight spot like the other characters who are in her situation (Goku, Donbe & Hikari, The Marvelous Gang, etc). Being Japan-only is a death sentence for most retro Nintendo characters as proven with Takamaru. We can only hope the Layton team is interested in giving it a shot.

Going to add you now. Denox-kun will be on his way here (but I've told him about the new rules and stuff). So no video promotion at all here since that constitutes as spam. He will have to speculate normally like the rest of us.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Pretty much. She's definitely in a very very tight spot like the other characters who are in her situation (Goku, Donbe & Hikari, The Marvelous Gang, etc). Being Japan-only is a death sentence for most retro Nintendo characters as proven with Takamaru. We can only hope the Layton team is interested in giving it a shot.

Going to add you now. Denox-kun will be on his way here (but I've told him about the new rules and stuff). So no video promotion at all here since that constitutes as spam. He will have to speculate normally like the rest of us.
Alas, being Japan-only is a *****. It makes me wonder how different things would have been if she did manage to sneak herself in Melee.

Good job. He can post videos that involve or talk about Famicom Detective Club or Ayumi, but as long as he doesn't advertise off topic stuff since it's against the rules. Can't wait to speak with him again.

Which reminds me, who's going to remake the Lyn thread?

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Support. She's always been my most wanted retro rep (aside from Takamaru of course). Her chances are unfortunately slim, if not next to none, but that's all the more reason why fans need to keep asking.

At least some music from the series would be nice...particularly the Title Theme and Staff Roll from the 2nd game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Support. She's always been my most wanted retro rep (aside from Takamaru of course). Her chances are unfortunately slim, if not next to none, but that's all the more reason why fans need to keep asking.

At least some music from the series would be nice...particularly the Title Theme and Staff Roll from the 2nd game.
And asking is the best thing we can do. The least some songs or even an Assist Trophy would be fine acknowledgement for Famicom Detective Club. The series was a pretty big deal in Japan back then. Too bad that lack of Western releases hurts her alot, which is why a revival would help.

Those two songs are definitely candidates for a Smash remix. I quite like the Staff Roll them the most of the whole soundtrack. Mysterious, but oddly building up to something better the more you listen to it. If only Ayumi's own adventure wasn't restricted to the Sattelaview system.

I would like to see Ayumi in Smash. A timid character and "evidence" based buff and debuff mechanic would be nice to see. I of course helped out in a way, so I'll support Ayumi.
Added you back.

Glad to have you back in the detective agency. Your help was definitely something I would never forget.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I still support Ayumi too!
Added.

Strangely enough, Denox isn't here yet. He must be busy with some projects ATM.

Not like there's anything big to talk about when ROM talk is illegal around here (though PM's are still a thing).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Glad to see there are people out there that still want Ayumi in Smash. And how long it's been since she "returned" in Super Mario Maker?

In a perfect world, Nintendo would have accepted the Tomato fan translation for Famicom Detective Club II and added that to their Virtual Console line-up. Too bad they aren't that lenient on fan material unlike Sega. Thinking of a possible developer than wants to take the help of a possible revival would be the hardest part as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Glad to see there are people out there that still want Ayumi in Smash. And how long it's been since she "returned" in Super Mario Maker?

In a perfect world, Nintendo would have accepted the Tomato fan translation for Famicom Detective Club II and added that to their Virtual Console line-up. Too bad they aren't that lenient on fan material unlike Sega. Thinking of a possible developer than wants to take the help of a possible revival would be the hardest part as well.
And that comment has six likes. Sure that's a small amount, but it shows that the interest is there (unlike the cancerous Melee vs Smash 4 war that is going on).

It's been over one year exactly since she was added in that game. Too bad unlocking her is so damn hard, just like I can never beat @Denoxkun's level to this day. I still hope we can get a Switch port one day. But with an easier way of getting her costume.

On topic, I still go by my idea of the Ace Attorney developers reviving Famicom Detective Club. With their excellent writing and colorful style, they would definitely suit the game. Just make it a teeny more lighthearted, but not detract from the somber tone the original series had.

I never saw what sorta moveset she could have, but that moveset with the confidence system would be so cool.

Supported
Why thank you. I've definitely worked hard on having her in-character while making her stand out.

Added.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Perhaps this wouldn't work too well, but an idea I had for Ayumi a long time ago was having the Protagonist as part of her moveset. She'd still be the character you control, but the Protagonist would come in as a sort of personal assist for some attacks. (This was around the time I got interested in fighting games aside from Smash. Marvel vs Capcom 3 had released and I loved watching matches of it. It was also ironically before Ultimate which is the version I eventually got and had a grand old time playing Phoenix Wright, but was generally pretty bad at it.

I had her Up B as the Protagonist giving her a boost to launch her into the air. A Forward Smash where he appears and tackles the opponent away from Ayumi, and a few other things like that along with the her own moves like the flashlight and such. I never really finished that moveset though and don't know where I left it.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Perhaps this wouldn't work too well, but an idea I had for Ayumi a long time ago was having the Protagonist as part of her moveset. She'd still be the character you control, but the Protagonist would come in as a sort of personal assist for some attacks. (This was around the time I got interested in fighting games aside from Smash. Marvel vs Capcom 3 had released and I loved watching matches of it. It was also ironically before Ultimate which is the version I eventually got and had a grand old time playing Phoenix Wright, but was generally pretty bad at it.

I had her Up B as the Protagonist giving her a boost to launch her into the air. A Forward Smash where he appears and tackles the opponent away from Ayumi, and a few other things like that along with the her own moves like the flashlight and such. I never really finished that moveset though and don't know where I left it.
These are actually nice ideas. The two did technically work as a dynamic duo in both Famicom games, though the Protagonist did most of the work in The Girl In Back. Very cute protective attack ideas as well, just think of the shipping potential.

Though enough of that gushing, you do have a point. It's one of those ideas that would require a lot of work if done right. Especially when the Ice Climbers were removed for good reasons and the Protagonist would be more complex than a Luma in a handheld Smash title.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
These are actually nice ideas. The two did technically work as a dynamic duo in both Famicom games, though the Protagonist did most of the work in The Girl In Back. Very cute protective attack ideas as well, just think of the shipping potential.

Though enough of that gushing, you do have a point. It's one of those ideas that would require a lot of work if done right. Especially when the Ice Climbers were removed for good reasons and the Protagonist would be more complex than a Luma in a handheld Smash title.
The question now is whether or not that would be an issue on the Switch. For the Ice Climbers' sake I hope that its not, but if it remains the case then any ideas of a similar nature probably aren't going to work out.

I'd of course take Ayumi on her own, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still partial to the idea of the two working together as pseudo team character. Sort of like an in-between version of the Luma and Nana.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The question now is whether or not that would be an issue on the Switch. For the Ice Climbers' sake I hope that its not, but if it remains the case then any ideas of a similar nature probably aren't going to work out.

I'd of course take Ayumi on her own, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still partial to the idea of the two working together as pseudo team character. Sort of like an in-between version of the Luma and Nana.
That's definitely one of the bigger things to focus on. Assuming 8- Player Smash is coming back or maybe the Ice Climbers, it's a matter of how they would handle the two. The Switch is clearly far more powerful as a platform whether its docked or not, making it a powerhouse in comparison to the Wii U and 3DS. In fact, I doubt we would really need a Smash 3DS sequel when the Switch can double as a handheld.

I mean I would like the idea of her being a partial team with the Protagonist since both characters are just as important to the series. Ayumi just got luckier in terms of her own game and cameos in latter games (Like Smash and Super Mario Maker). Like if Sakurai wants to make the character as accurate to the source material, the two would definitely have to cooperate in some form. I kind of want him to return and not get left behind by his little sidekick.

And if it doesn't work out, then I can accept a solo Ayumi in Smash.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Even though it's redundant, the same video talks about Ayumi lacking international appeal.

But imagine if she really did make the cut. Then she would suffer the same problem as Peach back then, which is too self explanatory at best....

I wouldn't mind if this happened. Those two were a complete team other than the boss that gave them orders. They searched for clues together, communicated with one another, and saved each other.

Yeah, make it happen Sakurai.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I swear I pledged support before....

Oh and don't call me a pervert :p wondering if she can crawl is a legitimate question!

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Oh and don't call me a pervert :p wondering if she can crawl is a legitimate question!
Given the skirt's length she could probably crawl just fine. Other movements such as actions in the air could still be an issue, but that's what the void is for.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

That's because I've decided to start over fresh.

Ayumi should crawl at least since she isn't wearing a dress like Peach or Zelda. Though Exdeath's Void would come in handy when it comes to her crawling in windier locations. That definitely would have been an issue with her Melee appearance if she was playable at the time.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That's because I've decided to start over fresh.

Ayumi should crawl at least since she isn't wearing a dress like Peach or Zelda. Though Exdeath's Void would come in handy when it comes to her crawling in windier locations. That definitely would have been an issue with her Melee appearance if she was playable at the time.
I think you figured out why Cloud was added. Nintendo asked Square Enix for permission to use Exdeath's Void, and later down the line during DLC planning, they asked if they could have a character in Smash. :p

As for Melee, I'm kind of unsure whether or not that would have been the case. The game was already rated T and CERO apparently wasn't as strict back then. Actually, CERO might not have even been established yet iirc. If characters like Sakura got off fine on a Teen/PEGI 12 rating, Ayumi who'd more than likely have less extreme movements probably could've worked just fine.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Seems like a cool character. Love the idea of an "evidence" based fighter, it would be really quirky and fun. I support.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Seems like a cool character. Love the idea of an "evidence" based fighter, it would be really quirky and fun. I support.
Added.

And the evidence part of her moveset is well important given the genre she's from. It would be like making Phoenix Wright without the clue searching the games were known for.

It would definitely help set her apart as a character in addition to the confidence building (dictating how precise or good her attacks will be). It fully represents her growth as a character in the original duology (since she's fully independent in her own Satellaview spinoff).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind if this happened. Those two were a complete team other than the boss that gave them orders. They searched for clues together, communicated with one another, and saved each other.

Yeah, make it happen Sakurai.
I certainly wouldn't mind the Protagonist being added alongside Ayumi as a pseudo-Ice Climbers type character. I feel like it could GREATLY creative, if done right.

BTW, is that artwork from Daigo Ikeno? (Capcom's go-to artist for Street Fighter and ESPECIALLY DarkStalkers)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
BTW, is that artwork from Daigo Ikeno? (Capcom's go-to artist for Street Fighter and ESPECIALLY DarkStalkers)
Not at all. Daigo had been fully committed to most Capcom works in his life. I doubt it would be him.

The only known artist for Famicom Detective Club was Tetsuji Tanaka, who's the only known artist for the series. Though it's unknown if he did both the game's visuals and the illustrations for the game's covers. Could be an anonymous artist for all we know who did the boxarts for the Famicom originals and remakes.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I certainly wouldn't mind the Protagonist being added alongside Ayumi as a pseudo-Ice Climbers type character. I feel like it could GREATLY creative, if done right.

I highly doubt it. In fact, I doubt we will ever know who the illustrator for that piece is. The original boxarts like these were definitely done by Tanaka like Azure said, which you can tell since they fit the game's style.

All the more semi-realistic ones like for The Missing Heir (which I post here because bleeding kabuki helmet) however were probably done by other artists. Even the remakes for the Super Famciom possibly got different artists as well.

Such a shame that it would be hard to track down who these artists are. Especially given the heavy obscurity of this series.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan

AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27

Just wanted to mention that I hope you two know I was talking about THIS specifically:

It just REALLY looks like DarkStalkers/EARLY Street Fighter II stuff, you know?
I am aware, and the artist for that illustration is unknown.

Sure it has that Street Fighter/Darkstalkers feel, but it could be an imitator for all we know. It's not uncommon and easy for an artist to steal someone else's style.

It could be done just to give it a realistic edge for all we know.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan

AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27

Just wanted to mention that I hope you two know I was talking about THIS specifically:

It just REALLY looks like DarkStalkers/EARLY Street Fighter II stuff, you know?
It's because that type of style was popular it the time. It was the same decade that brought us stuff like Fist of the North Star and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Given their popularity, they were probably influenced by it. Shin Megami Tensei did the same thing for their early Famicom illustrations.

I don
't think it means much since Street Fighter II and Darkstalkers came out in the 90's. In turn, the artist for those games were trying to keep that style alive when the 90's wanted more vibrant less detailed art at the time when manga like YuYu Hakusho and One Piece came along. Nothing but an artist just sticking with trends at the time.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Based on this, how about giving Ayumi a pink schoolgirl costume?
These Famicom Detective Club illustrations be getting weirder and weirder.

Although a pink alt with blonde hair would look cute on her.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
These Famicom Detective Club illustrations be getting weirder and weirder.

Although a pink alt with blonde hair would look cute on her.
On the subject of recolors, what do you think she could possibly have? I don't suppose there are too many characters from FDC she could borrow off of? I know very little about the games (I've only seen snippets of gameplay from the fan translation) aside from the general premise, the great music and of course Ayumi and the Protagonist. Perhaps a blue color based off of police officers, a color based on the Protagonist. Maybe one based on the killer from the second game?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
On the subject of recolors, what do you think she could possibly have? I don't suppose there are too many characters from FDC she could borrow off of? I know very little about the games (I've only seen snippets of gameplay from the fan translation) aside from the general premise, the great music and of course Ayumi and the Protagonist. Perhaps a blue color based off of police officers, a color based on the Protagonist. Maybe one based on the killer from the second game?
Most of the issue comes from the characters wearing standard generic attire (depending on the location since it is a high school) or the more important characters wore darker colors to begin with. Though a few colors wouldn't hurt as long was they can stand-out and look different from each other.

Ako Kojima was the mother of Yoko you talked with to get information on her life. The light blue color can definitely work.

Hisako Hayama is one of the homeroom teachers for the campus and she started the Girl in Back story (as in the rumors). Makes for a nice red costume alt.

Ryoko Katsuragi was a good friend of Shinobu (one of the earlier murder victims from 15 years ago) and another client you spoke to. A darker blue to suit a more mature and professional look.

There are so many brown costumes to work with. Whether it be Protagonist (a brown shirt with dark blue skirt), Tadashi Urabe (brown shirt with red and yellow checkered pattering based on his tie), Goro Kaneda (brown with black. Though it's no different from the Protagonist), Tetsuharu Komada (Brown with a grey checker pattern based on his shirt), and Toshio Tazaki (white based on his shirt with a brown skirt). She even had her own detective club jacket to wear in the game's climax, symbolizing her permanent welcome to the club.

There are also a couple black options as well. One of them being another Detective Club member, Hitomi Kawai (who despite the cute name, is actually a delinquent). I can see the outfit being completely black for a rebellious look. The other being Shunsuke Utsuki, the founder of the detective club who mostly worked behind the scenes until you met him in Part II. He was even the one who discovered the protagonist in the game's intro. He's got a fine black suit with a dark turquoise shirt, that would probably make for a more interesting recover than Kawai to be honest.

Lastly, we have the walking spoiler himself

Tatsuya Hibino.He is the main serial killer for the game's story and Yoko's homeroom teacher. Teruhiko Uchida was the original suspect that the Protagonist though was the killer until he commit suicide. They just happened to run into him at the right time before he thought killing them was a good idea. It was a miracle the cops came at the right time and Shinobu's corpse broke out the mirror to spook him.

Anyways, his khaki colors can work for Aymui's shirt with a brown checker patterned skirt. Speaking of which, I really do seem to love these checker patterns so much. :laugh:

Quite the nice selection of characters, even if this only covers the Parts II cast.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Daily reminder that these would make great alternate costumes. But they can easily be recolors if it would be too much work.

This is self explanatory, a similar detective club outfit the Protagonist has, but with bright colors.

And this was her attire when traveling to her village in BS Famicom Detective Club. No other character wore pink in the series, thus making it a great option.

Also, AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 how about you spoiler properly since his identity is better off being hidden. That only makes it obvious!

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Most of the issue comes from the characters wearing standard generic attire (depending on the location since it is a high school) or the more important characters wore darker colors to begin with. Though a few colors wouldn't hurt as long was they can stand-out and look different from each other.

Ako Kojima was the mother of Yoko you talked with to get information on her life. The light blue color can definitely work.

Hisako Hayama is one of the homeroom teachers for the campus and she started the Girl in Back story (as in the rumors). Makes for a nice red costume alt.

Ryoko Katsuragi was a good friend of Shinobu (one of the earlier murder victims from 15 years ago) and another client you spoke to. A darker blue to suit a more mature and professional look.

There are so many brown costumes to work with. Whether it be Protagonist (a brown shirt with dark blue skirt), Tadashi Urabe (brown shirt with red and yellow checkered pattering based on his tie), Goro Kaneda (brown with black. Though it's no different from the Protagonist), Tetsuharu Komada (Brown with a grey checker pattern based on his shirt), and Toshio Tazaki (white based on his shirt with a brown skirt). She even had her own detective club jacket to wear in the game's climax, symbolizing her permanent welcome to the club.

There are also a couple black options as well. One of them being another Detective Club member, Hitomi Kawai (who despite the cute name, is actually a delinquent). I can see the outfit being completely black for a rebellious look. The other being Shunsuke Utsuki, the founder of the detective club who mostly worked behind the scenes until you met him in Part II. He was even the one who discovered the protagonist in the game's intro. He's got a fine black suit with a dark turquoise shirt, that would probably make for a more interesting recover than Kawai to be honest.

Lastly, we have the walking spoiler himself Tatsuya Hibino.

He is the main serial killer for the game's story and Yoko's homeroom teacher. Teruhiko Uchida was the original suspect that the Protagonist though was the killer until he commit suicide. They just happened to run into him at the right time before he thought killing them was a good idea. It was a miracle the cops came at the right time and Shinobu's corpse broke out the mirror to spook him.

Anyways, his khaki colors can work for Aymui's shirt with a brown checker patterned skirt. Speaking of which, I really do seem to love these checker patterns so much. :laugh:

Quite the nice selection of characters, even if this only covers the Parts II cast.
You pretty much covered a full set of 8, and all with really good references!

Even if her color choices aren't quite as varied as that of some other characters, I think it actually fits her just fine. They fall in line with her source material after all. While I'm sure they could still work, original colors like a bright green or yellow might not necessarily fit as well. I think by having a less vibrant set of alts, she stands out a little better and it matches the game she's from in a way. Overall I think you came up with some great ideas.

Oddball

Smash Lord
As the Second game (the only one I've played through) was actually a fairly effective horror tales, I think giving her a black uniform with some red highlights would be a nice look. It would also be a call back to the Girl In Back story and how she appeared covered in blood.

On a bit more of a humor take, give her the standard Sherlock Holmes brown plaid.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
As the Second game (the only one I've played through) was actually a fairly effective horror tales, I think giving her a black uniform with some red highlights would be a nice look. It would also be a call back to the Girl In Back story and how she appeared covered in blood.

On a bit more of a humor take, give her the standard Sherlock Holmes brown plaid.
I want that Sherlock alt to happen. I don't know why, but it fits so much.

Speaking of that, this exists.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that Detective Pikachu didn't have a single nod to Famicom Detective Club at all. Super Mario 3D World had a subtle Murasame Castle reference after all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Both ideas are pretty good.

Especially the bloodstained one. I can see tha one being a fan favorite.

I want that Sherlock alt to happen. I don't know why, but it fits so much.

Speaking of that, this exists.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that Detective Pikachu didn't have a single nod to Famicom Detective Club at all. Super Mario 3D World had a subtle Murasame Castle reference after all.
Because the Pokémon International Company rarely makes jokes nor references to other Nintendo games unlike Mario.

They would rather do their own thing. Which raises the question, should the Detective Pikachu team work on an eShop title for Famicom Detective Club?

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Afro's returning for his support of Ayumi once again. I still love this character, and I really want her in Smash. Don't let me down Sakurai! - Afro

Top Bottom