• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ayumi being considered so many times bodes well for her chances (long-term chances, most likely, but still). Shows Sakurai and the dev team remember her.
I wouldn't be so sure that makes her super likely, but we can still hope he has her in his mind.

She may haven't had a game in years, but she did appear in Super Mario Maker of all things as a costume. And I still remember when @Denoxkun made that Famicom Detective Club level in the game to help push her awareness. Good times.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I still have hope for Ayumi. Heck, if she could be added to Super Mario Maker of all things, I can see her as a possibility. Then again, she was cut from Melee and Bayo 2....

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I still have hope for Ayumi. Heck, if she could be added to Super Mario Maker of all things, I can see her as a possibility. Then again, she was cut from Melee and Bayo 2....
The former due to not being notable enough to the West and the latter for probably being a poor costume choices for Bayonetta. Not that an Ayumi costume that shoots text bullets would be bad, that sounds cool on paper.

We shall see. Her being a costume in Super Mario Maker was a very pleasant surprise.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Keep me on the list. I still like the idea of bringing Ayumi out of obscurity into Smash.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
She deserves to get ever since Melee, make her the new retro rep

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I made a Smash Discord server where we can speculate about Ayumi Tachibana and a bunch of other retro Nintendo characters. Or just talk about Famicom Detective Club.

https://discord.gg/tY4HaBB

Feel free to join if you want.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This thread lives? What a shock?

Though I'll add you to the detective club Kool.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Oh yes, add me too if you haven't already, my friend. I want to see a school girl kick some butt in this game!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, I asked this in the last Ayumi thread, but who here thinks Yuko Minaguchi (JP Videl and Pan from Dragon Ball) would reprise her role as her for Smash?

BTW, Minaguchi-san voiced her in the SNES Detective Club game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Say, I asked this in the last Ayumi thread, but who here thinks Yuko Minaguchi (JP Videl and Pan from Dragon Ball) would reprise her role as her for Smash?

BTW, Minaguchi-san voiced her in the SNES Detective Club game.
That actually sounds like the best way to go if they want to bring back a classic VA who had experience voicing her before. Except this time, the voice acting will be more high quality for a non-SNES game.

This is assuming she will have a Japanese only voice for her role as a playable character, or Assist Trophy at best.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think if Marth, the prince of a European medieval fantasy series who has already been voiced in English in his games, can still be speaking Japanese in Smash, then a Japanese schoolgirl by the name of Ayumi Tachibana will probably follow suit. Unless her dialogue’s really funny and the translators consider it worth it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think if Marth, the prince of a European medieval fantasy series who has already been voiced in English in his games, can still be speaking Japanese in Smash, then a Japanese schoolgirl by the name of Ayumi Tachibana will probably follow suit. Unless her dialogue’s really funny and the translators consider it worth it.
If it comes down to her being dubbed, I would say a good VA like Brina Palenica should voice her.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That actually sounds like the best way to go if they want to bring back a classic VA who had experience voicing her before. Except this time, the voice acting will be more high quality for a non-SNES game.

This is assuming she will have a Japanese only voice for her role as a playable character, or Assist Trophy at best.
Don't get me wrong. In the event that Ayumi is playable in Smash, I'd LOVE to have Minaguchi reprise her role as her, but I get the sneaking feeling Ninty might get someone new.

What's more, if Ayumi is added to Smash and returns for subsequent games even if she were to ever get an English VA down the line, I see Smash sticking with her keeping JP dialogue ONLY.

If it comes down to her being dubbed, I would say a good VA like Brina Palenica should voice her.
Wow, I haven't even thought about Ayumi getting an English VA before now. Brina would probably do her justice, or maybe Cherami Leigh.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Ayumi will be a surprise I think I'll add her in my roster. I want to Sakurai to focus on retro and odd ball characters. I want Ayumi because I watch allot of school anime. Takamaru Ayumi Urban Champion Excitebike Goku and Starman will be very awesome great retro picks in smash 5. Lets hope Sakurai dont come up with that excuse why Takamaru was not in smash 4 man I hated that.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ayumi will be a surprise I think I'll add her in my roster. I want to Sakurai to focus on retro and odd ball characters. I want Ayumi because I watch allot of school anime. Takamaru Ayumi Urban Champion Excitebike Goku and Starman will be very awesome great retro picks in smash 5. Lets hope Sakurai dont come up with that excuse why Takamaru was not in smash 4 man I hated that.
The biggest obstacle is that Famicom Detective Club was never released internationally. I can see that still posing as a problem to Ayumi unless Sakurai somehow changes his mind and feels she wouldn't be too weird to a Western audience.

To some extent, Westerners know her because of Melee and Super Mario Maker to a lesser extent. Plus enough people had played the fan translation of her best game (Thanks Tomato Translations).

I want to believe she has a better change this time around. The only way that will be the case is if Sakurai stops caring about international recognitions for most characters.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
True explain how everyone didn't know who was Marth and Roy.
Sakurai is a Fire Emblem fanboy, of course he would make an exception for those two.

Then again, they were going to be Japanese exclusive playable characters to begin with for Melee, though Western playtesters found them fun to play. Thus, we got the two in all copies of Melee.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I just hope we get this awesome song from Famicom Detective Club II as a remix. Give me atleast that.

The series needs more content in Smash. I'm not at all confident in a fighter, but music? AT? Trophies? I hope so.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I just hope we get this awesome song from Famicom Detective Club II as a remix. Give me atleast that.

The series needs more content in Smash. I'm not at all confident in a fighter, but music? AT? Trophies? I hope so.
The soundtrack is too good to ignore. That I can agree.

The fact that there is not one song from the series in Smash and a snippet of the 2nd game’s title theme was in the Brawl Famicom Medley is baffling.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The biggest obstacle is that Famicom Detective Club was never released internationally. I can see that still posing as a problem to Ayumi unless Sakurai somehow changes his mind and feels she wouldn't be too weird to a Western audience.

To some extent, Westerners know her because of Melee and Super Mario Maker to a lesser extent. Plus enough people had played the fan translation of her best game (Thanks Tomato Translations).

I want to believe she has a better change this time around. The only way that will be the case is if Sakurai stops caring about international recognition for most characters.
Honestly, I feel as if by this point in time, Sakurai is going to NEED to NOT use international recognition as a factor. It might end up hurting Smash in the long run, limiting the character selection and all.

I mean, you all wouldn't believe how disappointed I was to hear his words on how we shouldn't expect the likes of characters like Donbe (and I guess Hikari, to an extent) due to the international recognition issue. Heck, I was even more saddened to hear that this was what more or less stiffed Ayumi and Taka out of playable spots on the roster.

True explain how everyone didn't know who was Marth and Roy.
Sakurai is a Fire Emblem fanboy, of course he would make an exception for those two.

Then again, they were going to be Japanese exclusive playable characters to begin with for Melee, though Western playtesters found them fun to play. Thus, we got the two in all copies of Melee.
Which still goes to show the F.E. bias was a little TOO strong even then. Heck, Marth was even planned for the FIRST Smash game. That HAS to tell you something.

Look, I know the likes of Ayumi and Takamaru didn't exactly have many things under their belt like F.E., but the bias here is REALLY starting to hurt...

I mean, look at...Panel de Pon (a.k.a Puzzle League). That was technically an on-going series, and there's been no word of Lip even being considered for Smash, let alone make a physical appearance in the series.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman

Love the soundtrack Im with you on the music man. Hey I wonder if Ayumi will play similar to Wii Fit Trainer.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Honestly, I feel as if by this point in time, Sakurai is going to NEED to NOT use international recognition as a factor. It might end up hurting Smash in the long run, limiting the character selection and all.

I mean, you all wouldn't believe how disappointed I was to hear his words on how we shouldn't expect the likes of characters like Donbe (and I guess Hikari, to an extent) due to the international recognition issue. Heck, I was even more saddened to hear that this was what more or less stiffed Ayumi and Taka out of playable spots on the roster.

Which still goes to show the F.E. bias was a little TOO strong even then. Heck, Marth was even planned for the FIRST Smash game. That HAS to tell you something.

Look, I know the likes of Ayumi and Takamaru didn't exactly have many things under their belt like F.E., but the bias here is REALLY starting to hurt...

I mean, look at...Panel de Pon (a.k.a Puzzle League). That was technically an on-going series, and there's been no word of Lip even being considered for Smash, let alone make a physical appearance in the series.
yeah the whole "This series doesn't have much international familiarity, is kinda...******** when we look at how FE was put in Melee AND planned for in even the original.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Love the soundtrack Im with you on the music man. Hey I wonder if Ayumi will play similar to Wii Fit Trainer.
Her attacks will be more serious and realistic in comparison to the more wackier take Wii Fit Trainer has.

Though she does have her other tools to use like the case, flashlight, umbrella, and most of the clues you collect in the game. I can see as her as fragile, but getting better the more confident/evidence she collects.

I can't blame Sakurai for the way he feels. He doesn't want to go willy nilly with characters not everyone recognizes.

Though doing so could help that character become more known in the long run. Sakurai just needs to take more risks with the character selection.

It is true that there is a bit of a double standard, even if they were popular growing series (Both Mother in the case of Lucas and Fire Emblem for Marth and Roy) that happened to have characters a larger group of people would know.

Poor Panel De Pon too. A series that was ruined by poor localization decisions. Especially when Lip is a potential good Smash candidate. It would take a miracle to see Sakurai more looser on Japan only characters not from a big series.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I can't blame Sakurai for the way he feels. He doesn't want to go willy nilly with characters not everyone recognizes.

Though doing so could help that character become more known in the long run. Sakurai just needs to take more risks with the character selection.
Smash is the perfect series to showcase characters that not everyone recognizes. It did wonders for Fire Emblem and I'm sure Earthbound as well.

If anything I root more for these characters people don't recognize. They need the exposure more than the popular characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

As Koopaul Koopaul has said, Smash is pretty much THE perfect game to do things like that. I know Smash is first and foremost" a celebration of Nintendo's history", so shouldn't obscure/region-exclusive characters get more of a shot than what they're currently getting at the moment?

Poor Panel De Pon too. A series that was ruined by poor localization decisions. Especially when Lip is a potential good Smash candidate. It would take a miracle to see Sakurai more looser on Japan only characters not from a big series.
Smash is the perfect series to showcase characters that not everyone recognizes. It did wonders for Fire Emblem and I'm sure Earthbound as well.

If anything, I root more for these characters people don't recognize. They need the exposure more than the popular characters.
Heck, check the Lip for Smash thread. I made that exact same claim that at this point, Lip (or anyone in her position, for that matter) ABSOLUTELY NEEDS Smash to really get the word of their overall existence out there to the public. Like, Smash may be her only hope at this point.

All in all, this is EXACTLY why I support just about any and all retros (ESPECIALLY those that hail from Nintendo's library) as franchises like Fire Emblem, Star Fox, and EarthBound (to an extent) have pretty much solidified their legacy into the modern age. It may be time to give the more obscure series a chance (which I think Nintendo's beginning to do, if the stuff about Wave Race and 1080 mean anything...).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I was looking through the comment section for Rate That Character and found this. Not only someone requested Ayumi Tachibana, but also made a moveset along with the list of pros and cons for her character.

The one thing I don't agree with is the idea of her using martial arts. Sure the Protagonist can possibly teach her these self defense moves for Smash, but it would be out of character unless it seems she doesn't "master" them and they seem more comical.

The rest of the moveset is nice and I agree with the pros and cons that he statement (which I everything we've talked about).

LancerJayden

Smash Rookie
i also wondered what it'd be like if they did put her in melee. would her games have become more popular in the west? what kinda moveset would she have in melee? what stages, music, assist trophies, items etc could of been added? she seems like a really interesting character to add to smash so i would like to be a supporter

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
i also wondered what it'd be like if they did put her in melee. would her games have become more popular in the west? what kinda moveset would she have in melee? what stages, music, assist trophies, items etc could of been added? she seems like a really interesting character to add to smash so i would like to be a supporter
If you want to support her share her existence in message boards, which board it is irrelevant.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
After the recent drama centering around the owner of this thread, it looks like we need a new owner.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
After the recent drama centering around the owner of this thread, it looks like we need a new owner.
Speaking of which, is he OK? If my memory serves me right, he took the deconfirmation of Takamaru (yet another Nintendo character who, similar to Ayumi, was cut from multiple Smash games, due to being mostly prominent in Japan than the entire world) rather hard.

I didn't want to bother him, but I've even been wondering if a few of his thread may need some new owners lately (the Ayumi thread included).

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Speaking of which, is he OK? If my memory serves me right, he took the deconfirmation of Takamaru (yet another Nintendo character who, similar to Ayumi, was cut from multiple Smash games, due to being mostly prominent in Japan than the entire world) rather hard.

I didn't want to bother him, but I've even been wondering if a few of his thread may need some new owners lately (the Ayumi thread included).
Wait what happened?

Since Takamaru is an Assist Trophy, what are the chances for Ayumi to get in?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Wait what happened?
Basically, not too many people were exactly thrilled to see Takamaru confirmed as an Assist once again for Ultimate, especially after all the confidence in him being playable this time around. Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan seemed to take it especially hard and I haven't seen him on SB for a while now. Honestly, I'm a bit worried and I really hope he's alright.

Since Takamaru is an Assist Trophy, what are the chances for Ayumi to get in?
Honestly? After the deconfirmation of Takamaru, I'm having a bit of trouble imagining Ayumi being playable in Ultimate, at least. Hopefully, she has some sort of presence in the game, but I'm personally not banking on her being playable unless a miracle happens at this point.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Ayumi will be a great retro pick its too bad that Takamaru is assist trophy. I love to see Ayumi in smash ultimate alonside Lip. Oh once I think about it she will be a better pick then Excitebiker. I got a question what will her recovery will be?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So Source Gaming has translated Sakurai's latest Famitsu column and according to the translation in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1009455106637656064

The project plan for SSBU (which I presume includes the fighter roster) was completed in December 2015 which was 2 months after the Smash Ballot ended.

Sadly, I still think that after the deconfirmation of Takamaru, Ayumi being playable in Ultimate, may not happen (as much as I REALLY want her in). Again, I want to hope that she (at least) has SOME sort of presence in the game, but I'm still not banking on her being playable unless a miracle were to happen.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So Source Gaming has translated Sakurai's latest Famitsu column and according to the translation in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1009455106637656064

The project plan for SSBU (which I presume includes the fighter roster) was completed in December 2015 which was 2 months after the Smash Ballot ended.

Sadly, I still think that after the deconfirmation of Takamaru, Ayumi being playable in Ultimate, may not happen (as much as I REALLY want her in). Again, I want to hope that she (at least) has SOME sort of presence in the game, but I'm still not banking on her being playable unless a miracle were to happen.
I’ll hold onto that miracle. I don’t care, just put her in. :)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ayumi will be a great retro pick its too bad that Takamaru is assist trophy. I love to see Ayumi in smash ultimate alonside Lip. Oh once I think about it she will be a better pick then Excitebiker. I got a question what will her recovery will be?
She has an umbrella of her own, a black one. That would be the best recovery option or Sakurai could just have the Protagonist appear and throw her.

Either one works.

You would have to meme the hell out of Ayumi Tachibana to be recgnized in the west.
That would be hard,.

Because the only thing meme-able about her is the fact that she is a school girl.

Not sure how hard she can be meme'd.

If she were in Melee, then we would had gotten enough tracks from all three games (even the Satteleview sequel) and a stage based on her high school.

As for an Assist Trophy, the best character they can use who isn't a massive spoiler is the Protagonist since he's athletic enough to fight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom