• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna say it feels like only Sakurai remembers Ayumi and the fact that Nintendo will select the DLC characters this time hurts her chance, but then I remembered Super Mario Maker so who knows?

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna say it feels like only Sakurai remembers Ayumi and the fact that Nintendo will select the DLC characters this time hurts her chance, but then I remembered Super Mario Maker so who knows?
I think people are taking the whole "Nintendo picks" thing too much at face value. People assume that Nintendo is ordering sakurai to include five characters at gunpoint with no input from him whatsoever.

More than likely Nintendo and Sakurai are mutally cooperating with each other with the picks. I can totally see Sakurai suggesting "what about Ayumi" and nintendo agreeing and still count as a "Nintendo pick"

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I think people are taking the whole "Nintendo picks" thing too much at face value. People assume that Nintendo is ordering sakurai to include five characters at gunpoint with no input from him whatsoever.

More than likely Nintendo and Sakurai are mutally cooperating with each other with the picks. I can totally see Sakurai suggesting "what about Ayumi" and nintendo agreeing and still count as a "Nintendo pick"
I mean I kind of agree with you.
I didn't mean it as "Nintendo making all the calls."
But I don't see it as mutually cooperating picks either. I see it as Nintendo makes all the picks and Sakurai goes from there.
But in the end nobody knows.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
What if Nintendo just didn't include her in as a spirit? What with not being that well known to folk outside Japan?
if someone who did not even pop up in online searches like Master Fusui can be a spirit. Then I'm sure a character that's somewhat know like Ayumi will have no trouble being one.
I at least think a lot of Japanese Smash fans would buy her. Also, her trophy was in both the NOA and PAL versions of Melee.
Nintendo likely wants to only include character that would sell as DLC sadly.
That is the reason Sakurai put Marth and Roy in Melee so that Nintendo could introduce and promote Fire Emblem to the western audience.
Fire Emblem was a long running series in Japan by the time a character was added and they have moved away from characters that don't come from games that have released worldwide with Smash For and Ultimate.
I think Nintendo pushed for characters that would increase business with 3rd party studios and a few of there own characters to push sales for games coming out in 2019.
I mean I kind of agree with you.
I didn't mean it as "Nintendo making all the calls."
But I don't see it as mutually cooperating picks either. I see it as Nintendo makes all the picks and Sakurai goes from there.
But in the end nobody knows.
Seems like Nintendo send Sakurai a list of characters and he picked 5 from that list he was given.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
With all the new information and footage about the coming out from game comming out from gamexplain and other sources has anyone seen an Ayumi spirit yet? If anyone does please let me know.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Wow that was...kinda disappointing.
At least they haven't forgotten her.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's cool she's in. Doesn't look like a proper Spirit Battle spirit, if I'm reading that right, but it's cool they're using that art for her.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Well %&$#!

They made entirely new art for her? They're not being as lazy with the spirits as I thought they were. I thought everything was going to be Official Artwork ripped directly from the original games.

It's very odd that they chose that artstyle for her. She looks like shes a professor layton charactor. Or she looks like a character from that 1980's Wizard of OZ Anime.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Well %&$#!

They made entirely new art for her? They're not being as lazy with the spirits as I thought they were. I thought everything was going to be Official Artwork ripped directly from the original games. It's very odd that they chose that artstyle for her.
I'm pretty sure its artwork that you might see within the manual of her games.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
...they made new official art? Considering that literally no other Spirit I've seen has new art done for them, rather than just ripping a sprite or official artwork, this definitely strikes me as odd. She's got that 80's anime OVA look to her, which I assume was the point. However, what's interesting is of course the fact that they made new official art to begin with. My current hope (albeit it's less a hope and more of a pipe dream now) is that Ayumi is the secret final character that Sakurai and Nintendo are keeping under wraps for players to discover when the game comes out.

Anyway, there is of course the possibility that it's not new official art which is also probably the case, but considering that it's very unique art of Ayumi that I can't find after ten pages on Google Images, that's still impressive that they dug that far down to find art of Ayumi to use for her Spirit.

Also, "Escape" made me unintentionally burst out laughing. Almost made me think it was a clever way of saying Ayumi is going to escape from obscurity.

Wait...

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
...they made new official art? Considering that literally no other Spirit I've seen has new art done for them, rather than just ripping a sprite or official artwork, this definitely strikes me as odd. She's got that 80's anime OVA look to her, which I assume was the point. However, what's interesting is of course the fact that they made new official art to begin with. My current hope (albeit it's less a hope and more of a pipe dream now) is that Ayumi is the secret final character that Sakurai and Nintendo are keeping under wraps for players to discover when the game comes out.

Anyway, there is of course the possibility that it's not new official art which is also probably the case, but considering that it's very unique art of Ayumi that I can't find after ten pages on Google Images, that's still impressive that they dug that far down to find art of Ayumi to use for her Spirit.

Also, "Escape" made me unintentionally burst out laughing. Almost made me think it was a clever way of saying Ayumi is going to escape from obscurity.

Wait...
I can see they were going for an 80's anime look but it's kind of disappointing.
That doesn't really look like Ayumi to me, like at all

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can see they were going for an 80's anime look but it's kind of disappointing.
That doesn't really look like Ayumi to me, like at all
I like it outside of the smile. I prefer her more serious look in the SNES version.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
It looks like We dont know if its new art for smash or artwork from the original games.

At first i thought it was intentionally westernized for Ultimate. But upon closer inspection, its clearly reminiscent of the 1980's Anime artstyle. It reminds me of that Wizard of Oz anime from th 80's that i used to watch when i was a kid.

Sakura CCS

Smash Rookie

Wait...
I do find it peculiar that they decided to make "newer" artwork of hers yet I am doubtful that she Is a secret character since sakura has stated that he would show every fighter before the game releases though it would be a dream if she were to make it in

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I can't help but feel as though I've seen that artwork from somewhere before, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Anyone else?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman

Wait...
There was an Escape Artist Equipment in Sm4sh, so I guess her Spirit will function that way.
The effect of EA is that you get out of grabs/paralysis easier.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can't help but feel as though I've seen that artwork from somewhere before, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Anyone else?
Well, it's very 80s, so if you've seen Lupin III or Ghibli films it may seem familiar. It also resembles the box art of the original Famicom Detective Club games, so it's likely it was in an instruction manual or magazine.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

From 4:52 here:
I like the artwork they used, very nice. Reminds me of 80's anime.

Still a shame that she probably won't be playable, but that wasn't even likely in the first place, so I'll still be fine with a Spirit...

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Wait...
Please, Sakurai... Let your next project be a Famicom Detective Club reboot...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmm, maybe if they got Shu Takumi to work on a revival.....
Is that really his thing as opposed to say, Kid Icarus?
I really don’t want Nintendo to poach Takumi since I’m really hoping he comes back to mainline Ace Attorney. The games really dropped in quality after he left.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... we have the full image of Ayumi's Spirit artwork
Not gonna lie, It looks very nice

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Ayumi has no Profile pic in Ultimate, only a select few unsorted Spirits (Not playable, not assist), which are Lip, Chorus Kids, Diskin, Shantae and Devilish Kawashima. At this point, this makes me believe that Lip is more known and relevant than Ayumi now.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
I love it because im addicted to early anime aesthetics, but I can see how someone else could be put off by it.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
So; random question: What would be your IDEAL Famicom Detective Club stage, and what would it be like?

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
So; random question: What would be your IDEAL Famicom Detective Club stage, and what would it be like?
The only one that'd make sense is the school.
Maybe the school rooftop, or make it like the Tomodachi / Luigi Mansion stage where you can fight inside and outside.

Top Bottom