• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm sad because I took this photo during my playthrough of FDC and was so ready to bust it out.

MVIMG_20180915_120611.png

I hope she's in as a Spirit of her Melee trophy or her sprite, though her art is likely.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
That Direct certainly came and went. Wow, that was something, alright. But yeah, Ayumi was nowhere to be seen in that entire Direct, not even as a Spirit. Now, does that mean anything? Um, no, not really. Besides, she may just be one of the Spirits we didn't see in the Direct itself.

...well, I do suppose this allows us to be hyped for her being DLC. I mean, sure, Piranha Plant may just be our retro rep this time around as well as the WTF choice. That's probably the case, actually. But I won't lose hope.

Anyhow, I found this today:

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
That Direct certainly came and went. Wow, that was something, alright. But yeah, Ayumi was nowhere to be seen in that entire Direct, not even as a Spirit. Now, does that mean anything? Um, no, not really. Besides, she may just be one of the Spirits we didn't see in the Direct itself.

...well, I do suppose this allows us to be hyped for her being DLC. I mean, sure, Piranha Plant may just be our retro rep this time around as well as the WTF choice. That's probably the case, actually. But I won't lose hope.

Anyhow, I found this today:

I REALLY don't consider Piranha Plant a retro rep. It's probably the series first true joke character.
Anyway I still can't believe that thing is playable. I keep thinking I'm dreaming. What a timeline we live in.

Sakura CCS

Smash Rookie
So apparently there was a recent video were Sakurai gave an in depth look into the menu of Ultimate and one thing to note was there was another Mii costume for a Xenoblade Chonicals X meaning there are probably still more Mii costumes that Sakurai hasn't shown
Im just wondering if maybe Sakurai made an Ayumi Mii costume just like with what he did to Lip form Panel de pon

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
So apparently there was a recent video were Sakurai gave an in depth look into the menu of Ultimate and one thing to note was there was another Mii costume for a Xenoblade Chonicals X meaning there are probably still more Mii costumes that Sakurai hasn't shown
Im just wondering if maybe Sakurai made an Ayumi Mii costume just like with what he did to Lip form Panel de pon
That was Nia from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I did see a Saki outfit as while so there open to adding in some less popular Mii outfits along with the popular ones like Rex.

Sakura CCS

Smash Rookie
That was Nia from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I did see a Saki outfit as while so there open to adding in some less popular Mii outfits along with the popular ones like Rex.
My bad. But that also brings the question on is it possible that Sakurai could have made an Ayumi Mii costume?

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
My bad. But that also brings the question on is it possible that Sakurai could have made an Ayumi Mii costume?
Maybe. If not there's always a chance they make one if they end up selling Mii Fighter outfits next year.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. If not there's always a chance they make one if they end up selling Mii Fighter outfits next year.
TBH, unlike other Mii outfitts if there is an Ayumi Mii outfit, it won't look distinguishable from those school uniforms you see in Japan for people who don't know her but that's what spirits are for. Maybe the only detail would be the tie on the uniform along with a possible wig your mii can wear.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
TBH, unlike other Mii outfitts if there is an Ayumi Mii outfit, it won't look distinguishable from those school uniforms you see in Japan for people who don't know her but that's what spirits are for. Maybe the only detail would be the tie on the uniform along with a possible wig your mii can wear.
They could maybe incorporate a briefcase or a magnifying glass.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
They could maybe incorporate a briefcase or a magnifying glass.
Wouldn't that force her to become a Mii Swordsman or Gunner respectively if you use the briefcase or magnifying glass?
Seeing her use these as the Mii's weapon would be very amusing to look at especially the magnifying glass.

Last edited:

Sakura CCS

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't that force her to become a Mii Swordsman or Gunner respectively if you use the briefcase or magnifying glass?
Seeing her use these as the Mii's weapon would be very amusing to look at especially the magnifying glass.
If they were to make a Mii costume of her I would assume Mii Brawler would make the most sense

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I think she still has a decent chance as DLC. Better than most people think. It will be interesting to see if she has a spirit in the Base game.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I think she still has a decent chance as DLC. Better than most people think. It will be interesting to see if she has a spirit in the Base game.
Despite the exposure that Ayumi had when she was a trophy in Melee, for some reason Nintendo still hasn't localized the games on their downloadable services yet. I know there's a lot of text in that game which probably discouraged them from doing it.
But I can't imagine her getting a new stage, and I hope she would cameo in more games in the future.

Still only the 2nd FDC has an english fan translation.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm a bit surprised regarding that. I kind of expected us to see her as a Spirit by now. Even if she's not playable, I do hope she at least returns as a Spirit so she can have SOME kind of role in Ultimate, no matter how minor it may be.

Heck, Sakurai even admitted that Trophies were getting more and more strenuous to model. You can't tell me that Nintendo wouldn't take the time to rip some artwork of Ayumi from the FDC games and just slap it onto the Spirit template thing.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit surprised regarding that. I kind of expected us to see her as a Spirit by now. Even if she's not playable, I do hope she at least returns as a Spirit so she can have SOME kind of role in Ultimate, no matter how minor it may be.

Heck, Sakurai even admitted that Trophies were getting more and more strenuous to model. You can't tell me that Nintendo wouldn't take the time to rip some artwork of Ayumi from the FDC games and just slap it onto the Spirit template thing.
If Ayumi doesnt have a Spirit ill take it as more of a good sign than a bad sign. One might argue that she is too obscure to have one but clearly the standard for spirits are pretty low seeing as there are already a ton of obscure spirits.

For example. Hikari and Donbe have a Spirit and they arent any less "Obscure" than Ayumi is.

EDIT: If anyone discovers an Ayumi spirit be sure to let me know.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
If Ayumi doesnt have a Spirit ill take it as more of a good sign than a bad sign. One might argue that she is too obscure to have one but clearly the standard for spirits are pretty low seeing as there are already a ton of obscure spirits.

For example. Hikari and Donbe have a Spirit and they arent any less "Obscure" than Ayumi is.

EDIT: If anyone discovers an Ayumi spirit be sure to let me know.
Well Hikari and Donbe is more obscure than Ayumi, one of those signs is that they are more obscure than her is when Hikari appeared in Captain Rainbow and the game actually sold terribly. I also hear more Ayumi than H&D especially the fact that people knew that Ayumi was considered for Melee.

Two things that these characters lack is any actual relevance outside of Smash but they do both appear in Mario Maker. I still wonder why Ayumi wasn't an assist trophy especially if she's one of the characters considered for Melee and much more desired than Takamaru at the time but nowdays Takamaru is more relevant and desired than Ayumi. His consideration in Sm4sh meant this happened twice for Takamaru in the series, but he had references prior in Pikmin 2, Captain Rainbow and Samurai Warriors.

Last edited:

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
The fact that Ayumi isn't an Assist Trophy is far more interesting than her being one. This is almost getting suspicious now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fact that Ayumi isn't an Assist Trophy is far more interesting than her being one. This is almost getting suspicious now.
Actually, it's not surprising and suspicious that she isn't an Assist Trophy.

Edit: But if it turns out she doesn't have a spirit, than that would definitely be suspicious.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What if Nintendo just didn't include her in as a spirit? What with not being that well known to folk outside Japan?
Lip is a Mii costume and a spirit and she is just as obscure to a western audience as Ayumi is, so no that probably won't be the case. In fact, I think her not having a spirit would increase her chances by almost a landslide.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Uhhh... Takamaru
Hmm, fair point, though he's admittedly been a common enough assist trophy for people to be aware about.
I guess it depends. How alive has that series been being kept in the public eye? Takamaru at least had his game rekindled and kept aboard with stuff like the e-shop.
Lip is a Mii costume and a spirit and she is just as obscure to a western audience as Ayumi is, so no that probably won't be the case.
Depends. Granted, I won't act like it's a fixed case so it could go either way.
In fact, I think her not having a spirit would increase her chances by almost a landslide.
For being playable? Well, aside from the fact that we have no idea how many spirits are even in this game, would Ayumi, a fighter known only well within Japan, to the point where her trophy was rife with mistakes and her being Japanese only was part of the reason she wasn't inducted into the roster, really be considered a big DLC seller?

Also, whle I'm interested in having her join too, I'm still wondering, if not the previous Smash games, what's gotten people so confident in her showing up for this rodeo? There been some new lines of evidence I'm unaware of or something?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hmm, fair point, though he's admittedly been a common enough assist trophy for people to be aware about.
I guess it depends. How alive has that series been being kept in the public eye? Takamaru at least had his game rekindled and kept aboard with stuff like the e-shop.

Depends. Granted, I won't act like it's a fixed case so it could go either way.

For being playable? Well, aside from the fact that we have no idea how many spirits are even in this game, would Ayumi, a fighter known only well within Japan, to the point where her trophy was Japanese only, really be considered a big DLC seller?

Also, whle I'm interested in having her join too, I'm still wondering, if not the previous Smash games, what's gotten people so confident in her showing up for this rodeo? There been some new lines of evidence I'm unaware of or something?
man I just like her game dude

Also her trophy wasn't Japanese-only.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
What if Nintendo just didn't include her in as a spirit? What with not being that well known to folk outside Japan?
As mentioned above there are spirits that are just as obscure as Ayumi, if not moreso. Hikari and Donbe being a prime example.

There is 0 reason she cant be atleast a spirit. Especially since she was already a Trophy in Melee and spirits are supposedly easier to make than trophies.

Not saying this means she is a definite as a fighter. But it will be interesting to see if she has a spirit when the game drops.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Also her trophy wasn't Japanese-only.
My mistake. Got my words mixed up there.
man I just like her game dude
Oh, I understand that. I wasn't asking why people are supporting her. I'm just asking why the sudden confidence she'll get in as DLC? Base roster, that I'd get, but DLC tends to bring new things to the playing field. SO, I was wondering if there was some news recently about something.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For being playable? Well, aside from the fact that we have no idea how many spirits are even in this game, would Ayumi, a fighter known only well within Japan, to the point where her trophy was Japanese only, really be considered a big DLC seller?

I at least think a lot of Japanese Smash fans would buy her. Also, her trophy was in both the NOA and PAL versions of Melee.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Both Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir, and Famicom Detective Club Part II: The Girl in the Back, have been released on the Japanese 3DS, Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles. :)

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I at least think a lot of Japanese Smash fans would buy her.
That's never really been the mentality showcased when adding someone to the roster. Let's not forget that Ayumi got cut from the roster in Melee because of lack of relevance outside of Japan. Now if say, Nintendo wanted to advertise the series' revival or new game, then well......a man can hope.

Both Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir, and Famicom Detective Club Part II: The Girl in the Back, have been released on the Japanese 3DS, Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles. :)
Huh. Neat. Well then, I guess it just depends on if she made it in as spirit, costume, fighter, or whatnot.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

I'm still wondering, if not the previous Smash games, what's gotten people so confident in her showing up for this rodeo?
Because shed make a unique and fun character. Thats why.

Sakurai and Nintendo both have been willing to take chances on lesser known characters before. Why would Ayumi be any different?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Oh I don't think she's in AT ALL. I'll be happy if she gets a Spirit. Nothing is guaranteed in the slightest. I'll be genuinely shocked if any retro rep gets in as DLC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's never really been the mentality showcased when adding someone to the roster. Let's not forget that Ayumi got cut from the roster in Melee because of lack of relevance outside of Japan. Now if say, Nintendo wanted to advertise the series' revival or new game, then well......a man can hope.
That is the reason Sakurai put Marth and Roy in Melee so that Nintendo could introduce and promote Fire Emblem to the western audience.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Because shed make a unique and fun character. Thats why.

Sakurai and Nintendo both have been willing to take chances on lesser known characters before. Why would Ayumi be any different?
Well.........
Let's not forget that Ayumi got cut from the roster in Melee because of lack of relevance outside of Japan.
And again, don't get me wrong. I think she still has a clean shot at representation, be it spirit, costume or what now. But as a fighter? I reiterate. In the base roster, she'd have her best shot since she'd have been packed chock full with the package of an already amazing roster. But as DLC, well, it stands to reason that Nintendo who chose the list and cut her in the first place for said lack of relevance wouldn't be in hurry to include her, unless they had some game plan in mind to expand her influence.

Only time will tell if someday they'll pull a Fire Emblem with her series, but that's why I'm not as confident for her as I was before the November 2nd Direct.

That is the reason Sakurai put Marth and Roy in Melee so that Nintendo could introduce and promote Fire Emblem to the western audience.
Guess that just indicates that they didn't have the same plans for Ayumi. :U Now, if there's ever news of a series revival, then that's another story.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Well.........

And again, don't get me wrong. I think she still has a clean shot at representation, be it spirit, costume or what now. But as a fighter? I reiterate. In the base roster, she'd have her best shot since she'd have been packed chock full with the package of an already amazing roster. But as DLC, well, it stands to reason that Nintendo who chose the list and cut her in the first place for said lack of relevance wouldn't be in hurry to include her, unless they had some game plan in mind to expand her influence.

Only time will tell if someday they'll pull a Fire Emblem with her series, but that's why I'm not as confident for her as I was before the November 2nd Direct.

Guess that just indicates that they didn't have the same plans for Ayumi. :U Now, if there's ever news of a series revival, then that's another story.
Nintendo has changed their minds plenty times before so i dont see why her being cut from melee means she may never be considered ever again.

It would just mean that Nintendo was not willing to take a risk then but is now. Which is more than feasible.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nintendo has changed their minds plenty times before so i dont see why her being cut from melee means she may never be considered ever again.
Exactly! I think once a character that is interesting to Sakurai was consider before, than they are not out of the running, but just are on the waiting list to get in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom