• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

amageish

Smash Master
Well, that was... basically the exact opposite of Ayumi in terms of size and corporate ownership haha. I'm still quite happy with the character we got though.

I suppose we can just hope Ayumi's game did well enough to merit the sequel that we know MAGES wants to develop. It'd be wonderful if her story wasn't ending here, whether her story includes eventually making her way into Smash Bros or not.

Rain0

Smash Apprentice
We can at least hope for Smash 6, but considering Sakurai's retirement I doubt that would happen...

I spoke to Eeeyah911 (My friend) about Sora, he was glad that it wasn't a Fortnite character, but he was also disappointed because he liked Roxas way more.

amageish

Smash Master
We can at least hope for Smash 6, but considering Sakurai's retirement I doubt that would happen...

I spoke to Eeeyah911 (My friend) about Sora, he was glad that it wasn't a Fortnite character, but he was also disappointed because he liked Roxas way more.
I mean, Sakurai's retirement is by no means confirmed. He has said every Smash game that it will be his final Smash game because he treats every project as if it will be the grand finale of the series. I don't see a reason to assume he'd retire early; the headlines about his retirement being confirmed earlier this year were actually about him leaving his position at Famitsu.

And, yeah, I am very happy with Sora, though I do prefer KH's side characters over the main man himself personally. I'm not surprised they weren't chosen though.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Well guys it looks like Ayumi didn`t make it after all. Even though i`m happy for the Sora fans who wanted him in Smash so i can`t be entirely disappointed. At least we do know that MAGES had agreed to work on a sequel for her games & maybe she`ll eventually get her chance in the next Smash game whenever that`s going to happen.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, honestly, when Smash Ultimate was first announced, Ayumi was a character from 3 games that were Japan-only whose most internationally relevant role was a costume in Super Mario Maker. Now, she's had an worldwide release through a pair of incredibly well-polished remakes from one of the best visual novel developers around and we know they are interested in and hoping to make an all-new entry in her franchise.

Ayumi may not have gotten into Smash, but things have still been fantastic for us. We just need to hope however much FDC made is enough to justify given MAGES the keys to the franchise full-time...

amageish

Smash Master
So, should this topic be locked now, or should it continue on?

I was suggesting a Ayumi Discord group.
I think all support threads will be locked sometime in the coming weeks. I imagine the mods will announce that on the front page when it is to happen? Probably?

A Discord group could be good. I don't know where FDC fan spaces are online, if there are any notable ones. There's a subreddit, but it seems quite dead...

amageish

Smash Master
There is also fan Smash games like Flash 2 and Crusade, maybe she could get in those two games.
True! Maybe there's some passionate fans with the skills to put her into a fan game or make a mod of her in Rivals of Aether. That'd be fantastic if it happened.

In general, I guess we can also hope for another Mario Maker situation with Ayumi being a retro throwback if Nintendo does crossover items/characters in another game... Maybe Animal Crossing will be getting more crossover stuff in the next Direct? Who knows.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I think all support threads will be locked sometime in the coming weeks. I imagine the mods will announce that on the front page when it is to happen? Probably?

A Discord group could be good. I don't know where FDC fan spaces are online, if there are any notable ones. There's a subreddit, but it seems quite dead...
I remember many months ago in this very thread, I predicted that a FDC fandom would pop up with the localizations because visual novels always do that, wanting to ship characters or do fanart/fanfics or just stan their favs. Kinda sad that didn't actually happen much for this one. I did see some neat fanart on Twitter for the first couple months but it fell off quick.

amageish

Smash Master
I remember many months ago in this very thread, I predicted that a FDC fandom would pop up with the localizations because visual novels always do that, wanting to ship characters or do fanart/fanfics or just stan their favs. Kinda sad that didn't actually happen much for this one. I did see some neat fanart on Twitter for the first couple months but it fell off quick.
Yeah... Unfortunately, the game's price definitely scared some less-hardcore VN fans off and I think the games may be a bit too complete of a package to spawn that much fan content - like, there's a reason franchises like Ace Attorney and Danganronpa intentionally promote rival ships to keep people talking about them and having shipwars, while FDC is just kind of a complete game with a solid canon and not much else to say about that.

It does now have an AO3 tag, though the sole fic is written by me and is my half-assed attempt at fufilling my half of a bet and writing a fic shipping Ayumi with the protagonist of Danganronpa V3, Kaede.

I am curious how 2021 year-in-reviews will look back on FDC, if they look back on it at all. It's been a weirdly good year for adventure games - The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles released worldwide, Lost Judgement brought back traditional Yakuza gameplay with some mystery elements, World's End Club had its full release, Danganronpa Decadence is coming out in a few months, and, on the western side, Life is Strange True Colours is being seen as the highpoint of the franchise since the original game. Not all of those games are beloved (well, World's End Club certainly isn't at least), but it's still a lot of games competing for attention in one subgenre.

amageish

Smash Master
So long topic, I will see you later in a load of years later in Smash 6.
Hey, in an ideal timeline, we'll at least have Ayumi content coming out before the next Smash Bros itself releases... Which, again, is really more then anyone could have hoped for a year ago.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I guess fingers crossed that that Satellaview game gets remade at some point too. Probably our best hope for more FDC content for a while now, but yeah just having the remakes and being able to say I played them already makes my bucket list shorter!

amageish

Smash Master
I guess fingers crossed that that Satellaview game gets remade at some point too. Probably our best hope for more FDC content for a while now, but yeah just having the remakes and being able to say I played them already makes my bucket list shorter!
I wonder, if MAGES gets their wish and they continue to work with this IP, how it would be done... Do you get a game with multiple cases packaged in, including new stuff and the Satellaview game, maybe? Or do they keep up the one-case-per-game formula? How much do they modernize, as the current games are, you know, very late 80s in mechanical design...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I wonder, if MAGES gets their wish and they continue to work with this IP, how it would be done... Do you get a game with multiple cases packaged in, including new stuff and the Satellaview game, maybe? Or do they keep up the one-case-per-game formula? How much do they modernize, as the current games are, you know, very late 80s in mechanical design...
As much as I talked about how much I enjoy the NES style of wandering around wondering what the hell to do, I know I'm fairly alone on that lol. Whatever happens though, I do hope they keep the late 80s aesthetic even if not the mechanical design. There was a certain charm to everyone smoking cigarettes everywhere, bulky woodgrain tech, landlines, no Internet, etc.

Then again, a modern day setting with older Ayumi and Taro...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
whatever they do i hope they just keep the tone up

amageish

Smash Master
As much as I talked about how much I enjoy the NES style of wandering around wondering what the hell to do, I know I'm fairly alone on that lol. Whatever happens though, I do hope they keep the late 80s aesthetic even if not the mechanical design. There was a certain charm to everyone smoking cigarettes everywhere, bulky woodgrain tech, landlines, no Internet, etc.

Then again, a modern day setting with older Ayumi and Taro...
Yeah, I didn't mind the retro gameplay either, but I do think it would get slammed a lot harder in reviews if it didn't have "This is an authentic recreation of an 80s game" as an explanation. The 80s menu and world does seem like it is too connected with the series to give up, but I wouldn't mind if they had some puzzle sections a la a game like Tangled Tower - something from more modern adventure games just to spice the gameplay up.

As for the setting... What if it had a framing device of a modern-day smartphone-using adult Ayumi and Taro talking over past cases from the 80s? So you get to see them aged-up and in their 50s, but the gameplay/mysteries are still using older tech and people in them aren't concerned about the risk that smoking causes lung cancer yet...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Yeah, I didn't mind the retro gameplay either, but I do think it would get slammed a lot harder in reviews if it didn't have "This is an authentic recreation of an 80s game" as an explanation. The 80s menu and world does seem like it is too connected with the series to give up, but I wouldn't mind if they had some puzzle sections a la a game like Tangled Tower - something from more modern adventure games just to spice the gameplay up.

As for the setting... What if it had a framing device of a modern-day smartphone-using adult Ayumi and Taro talking over past cases from the 80s? So you get to see them aged-up and in their 50s, but the gameplay/mysteries are still using older tech and people in them aren't concerned about the risk that smoking causes lung cancer yet...
Oh gosh they really would be in their 50s wouldn’t they… So weird to imagine that Ayumi and Taro were born around 1975. But that does sound like a nice framing device just for the designs if nothing else. I’m a sucker for seeing aged up designs of my fav characters, probably because it implies they live long fulfilled lives.

amageish

Smash Master
Oh gosh they really would be in their 50s wouldn’t they… So weird to imagine that Ayumi and Taro were born around 1975. But that does sound like a nice framing device just for the designs if nothing else. I’m a sucker for seeing aged up designs of my fav characters, probably because it implies they live long fulfilled lives.
Yeah, it'd be very neat to see! In spite of only officially meeting these characters in 2021, I feel like there'd be something interesting and nostalgic about seeing them aged-up and living their modern-day detective lives - being confused about all the TikTok crimes they are sent to investigate and talking about how different things are these days lol.

amageish

Smash Master
Satellaview game?
There is a third FDC game released exclusively on the Satellaview which wasn't remade in this collection. It starred Ayumi herself as the protagonist on a mission to figure out the secrets of her family history. The actress who voiced Ayumi even returned to provide the voice in the remake of the first two titles!

Last edited:

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Here`s something strange i`ve found out. After Sora is released they will be 3 empty spots on the stage select screen which i find a bit odd. Even though this could mean nothing just a interesting thing to point out here.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Well, we tried. Sad to see we couldn't even manage a Mii costume, but that's just the way things are. I'm happy to see Sora as the final reveal, as he really does tie everything together.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
now come on people lets not be negative. FDC was one of three dormant nintendo franchises that got surprise revival this year. giving hope to the fans of other dormant series. the FDC remakes seemed to be start of a good trend that will hopefully continue

come on chibi-robo

amageish

Smash Master
Here`s something strange i`ve found out. After Sora is released they will be 3 empty spots on the stage select screen which i find a bit odd. Even though this could mean nothing just a interesting thing to point out here.
I wouldn't expect things to be rounded out in terms of CSS; they never really are. I do think spirit events will be continuing on through the end of 2021 at least, as they are a good marketing tool if nothing else, but otherwise it seems pretty certain to me that things are done for Ultimate.

come on chibi-robo
I'm really hoping Skip isn't dead as a company, but it is weird that all of its official channels have seemingly been scrubbed clean...

Rain0

Smash Apprentice
Strange...

There is a third FDC game released exclusively on the Satellaview which wasn't remade in this collection. It starred Ayumi herself as the protagonist on a mission to figure out the secrets of her family history. The actress who voiced Ayumi even returned to provide the voice in the remake of the first two titles!
Oh.

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
Well it was neat talking here a few times. Ayumi wasn't even my most wanted but I would be lying if I said that I didn't fall in love with the idea, It has a certain charm. Well for future games maybe, right now from Nintendo IPs I would really like seeing her (or the main character from FDC) and a Rhythm Paradise character just of sheer potential for movesets alone I already see both options could get pretty creative and fun.

amageish

Smash Master
Well, these support threads are to be shut down soon. I suppose it could be good to create a general FDC franchise discussion thread in the NintenZone, if we wanted to continue to have a place to discuss FDC as an IP and its potential future with MAGES?

Does anyone think FDC would have performed better if Nintendo charched $20.00 per game instead of $35.00?
Most games will sell more if you price them lower, yes. The question is if those increased sales would have offset the lower profits, which is kind of hard for any of us to predict when we neither know how much the games cost to make/localize or how well they sold...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, these support threads are to be shut down soon. I suppose it could be good to create a general FDC franchise discussion thread in the NintenZone, if we wanted to continue to have a place to discuss FDC as an IP and its potential future with MAGES?
if you do ill see you there

Top Bottom