• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think they probably just have only a week left to get clicks from Smash headlines and so someone decided to recycle an old story as new...

As for the 4chan leak, I'm not personally convinced. October 5th is a lucky guess, but predicting the first Tuesday of October isn't irrational when Steve launched around this time last year and Smash news traditionally comes out on Tuesdays.

I think any first-party character will inevitably lead to salt... or most third-parties... honestly, people will be salty about this outcome no matter what.
there have also been fake leaks to get dates correct before

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I see no reason to think that random clickbait media outlets know who the final character is. I think she's just in a good place for clickbait as she's not known, but also not completely unknown? She regularly has appeared on memes on the Smash subreddits about how the pass will probably end anti-climatically...
I thought those memes and jokes stopped since the release of FDC. I havent heard them since then.

amageish

Smash Master
I thought those memes and jokes stopped since the release of FDC. I havent heard them since then.
They're still around.

This one made quite a bit of traffic. While there are supporters of all the second character options, it is pretty clear that it is meant to be a "Pick a popular thing but risk a controversial/unpopular thing" meme. A lot of Waluigi fans in the comments were picking H anyway though haha.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing I have on my mind is, how long were the FDC remakes in the works?
Sakurai has worked in relatively recent stuff before but only usually when it had a long development time.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
One thing I have on my mind is how long were the FDC remakes in the works.
Sakurai has worked in relatively recent stuff before but only usually when it had a long development time.
I mean, the remakes are honestly loyal enough that all Sakurai would really need to see from them to make a moveset is the concept art of Ayumi to know what she'll look like in this game...

But yeah, FDC's remakes were publicly announced in the same Direct that publicly announced the development of further DLC characters. This could be a good sign, but we don't know how far back each project began planning, just that their announcements overlapped. Given Sakurai saying that they were planning on doing a couple more fighters (but assumedly not a full second pass) already and us knowing Steve has been in some sort of negotiation for literal years, it is possible that some third-party characters were planned alongside the initial Wave One of DLC, but who knows when they finalized everything...

amageish

Smash Master
Fairly certain they were announced in 2019 and slated for release in 2020 until it got delayed (likely for a worldwide release) for 2021.
Yeah, they really did backload these games' promotion, now that I think about it... They got that Direct announcement, vanished, and came back when the worldwide release was announced.

The last spirit event announcement before the direct is tonight right?
It's a tournament.

The theme is winged characters.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they really did backload these games' promotion, now that I think about it... They got that Direct announcement, vanished, and came back when the worldwide release was announced.

It's a tournament.

Well there we go. Ayumi has yet to be de-confirmed going into the final Direct.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice

It's a tournament.

With this being the last event of the month it looks like Ayumi has been in the clear up until this point. The last Smash reveal will be the big question on if she is the last fighter.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
With this being the last event of the month it looks like Ayumi has been in the clear up until this point. The last Smash reveal will be the big question on if she is the last fighter.
Yeah, pretty much... It's kind of funny that basically nothing has changed about her odds since February; she's still a legacy character whose previous barrier to entry for Smash has now been shattered, but she's also from a digital-only game with an unknown time of localization planning.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't want to doompost but it is important to note that Astral Chain was deconfirmed the day before....someone's presentation, it might have been Terry's. They had the spirit event a day early because of the announcent Tuesday. So we aren't out of the woods quite yet.

amageish

Smash Master
I don't want to doompost but it is important to note that Astral Chain was deconfirmed the day before....someone's presentation, it might have been Terry's. They had the spirit event a day early because of the announcent Tuesday. So we aren't out of the woods quite yet.
Right, yes, that was before Byleth's showcase... We'll see what happens next week, I suppose...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The next event is going to be announced 11 hours after the presentation.

amageish

Smash Master
The next event is going to be announced 11 hours after the presentation.
As Flyboy was pointing out, they have announced events earlier then scheduled before when there's a new character to show off.

Also, the more I think about it... the more possible Ayumi ending the pass feels to me.

On one hand, the FDC remakes are still digital-only, so I don't know if they would be desirable promotional material. They also weren't given the full nine yards in localization, not including all the European languages that most major Nintendo titles receive, assumedly as a way to reduce the risk of localizing a game in a nicher genre...

On the other hand... Well, first off, we know Sakurai loves this series, and yet it got neither collumn nor pic of the day release day celebration tweet nor spirit event. Second off, the remakes were announced in the exact same Direct further DLC was confirmed, so the schedules line up pretty darn well. Third off, this entire pass has had most characters be in a sort of "Scrapped once; back again" limbo - with ARMS content, Tekken content, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 content all being confirmed to have been considered/dismissed earlier, while Steve (and allegedly Sephiroph) was in negotiation limbo for a long time). Ayumi is a character who was considered/dismissed before, with both of the reasons for her dismissal no longer being concerns (her games are now worldwide and Sakurai no longer has reservations about offending fans by making a non-fighter fight in Smash). And , fourth off,the final character being in their own presentation makes me think it was someone too niche for a general direct - someone they want Sakurai to do some salesmanship for, which I think Ayumi would fit.

It's not confirmed. It's not even neccessarily all that likely. But I now feel like Ayumi would just... fit quite nicely with the scenario.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It'd be pretty crazy for me if Ayumi closed out the pass. I would love to see how her moveset compares to my idea for it. I played The Girl Who Stands Behind way back during base game speculation after learning about how she was considered for Melee and loved it, and since that time we've had the remakes released that I thought we'd never get. My three biggest wants for a final character are a non-fighter, a visual novel rep, or a Capcom character, and Ayumi is two of those and she inspired my favorite series ever, Ace Attorney, so she would be super cool...

I really don't know what to expect. I don't want to consider anyone a lock or even super likely but your points are pretty interesting. It's worth noting that Three Houses not getting spirits was also significant.

amageish

Smash Master
It'd be pretty crazy for me if Ayumi closed out the pass. I would love to see how her moveset compares to my idea for it. I played The Girl Who Stands Behind way back during base game speculation after learning about how she was considered for Melee and loved it, and since that time we've had the remakes released that I thought we'd never get. My three biggest wants for a final character are a non-fighter, a visual novel rep, or a Capcom character, and Ayumi is two of those and she inspired my favorite series ever, Ace Attorney, so she would be super cool...

I really don't know what to expect. I don't want to consider anyone a lock or even super likely but your points are pretty interesting. It's worth noting that Three Houses not getting spirits was also significant.
Ooooooh, wow, how was the experience of playing the remakes after the original fanslation? I also share interest in all of those wants happening...

I also don't consider characters locks and, moreover, have been fairly open about how I don't like "Name the top 5 most likely characters!"-type speculation as there are just so many contingencies that go into character selection that people outside of Nintendo aren't aware of. I just also really feel like this final presentation's standalone-ness is setting us up for a lower-key character...

No spirit event doesn't inherently mean anything - there are a lot of games released that Nintendo has had a hand in promoting and most of them don't get spirit events - but FDC not getting any sort of nod from Sakurai in any form whatsoever is a little bit of a surprise to me...

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Ooooooh, wow, how was the experience of playing the remakes after the original fanslation? I also share interest in all of those wants happening...

I also don't consider characters locks and, moreover, have been fairly open about how I don't like "Name the top 5 most likely characters!"-type speculation as there are just so many contingencies that go into character selection that people outside of Nintendo aren't aware of. I just also really feel like this final presentation's standalone-ness is setting us up for a lower-key character...

No spirit event doesn't inherently mean anything - there are a lot of games released that Nintendo has had a hand in promoting and most of them don't get spirit events - but FDC not getting any sort of nod from Sakurai in any form whatsoever is a little bit of a surprise to me...
Yeah, doesnt Sakurai often mention new releases hes excited about in his Famicom Column? He already made it clear that he is a fan of the series. So the fact he never even mentioned the remakes ever is very strange.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, doesnt Sakurai often mention new releases hes excited about in his Famicom Column? He already made it clear that he is a fan of the series. So the fact he never even mentioned the remakes ever is very strange.
He does, yeah. He does avoid attending press events for things because he knows appearing to chummy with certain franchises will result in people saying they're confirmed for Smash, but his column still covers both big industry trends like Among Us and smaller stuff he thinks game developers should pay attention to like 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim...

It doesn't mean much on its own that he ignored them, but it's more odd when looking at the bigger picture of how the games were promoted...

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Oh yes that`s right that did happen with Astral Chain being deconfirmed. We`ll have to see if this is not the scenario for FDC.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I hope none of this means Ayumi is a costume.
But there's no further characters left? There's no reason to not be happy with a costume; if Ayumi isn't playable and she isn't a costume, then she will have gotten nothing (besides her base game spirit)...

amageish

Smash Master

Ayumi came up in Good Vibes Gaming's discussion/review of their Patrons most-wanted!

They indicated they'd enjoy her as a unique deep cut character a la Duck-Hunt/Game-and-Watch, but are wary of her odds due to the "came and went" nature of her game release and the question of it is the type of game Nintendo would really use Smash Bros as a vehicle to advertise.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

Ayumi came up in Good Vibes Gaming's discussion/review of their Patrons most-wanted!

They indicated they'd enjoy her as a unique deep cut character a la Duck-Hunt/Game-and-Watch, but are wary of her odds due to the "came and went" nature of her game release and the question of it is the type of game Nintendo would really use Smash Bros as a vehicle to advertise.
I dont see the problem. If they added characters who havent had a new game in decades i dont see why the cant add one with a recent game that merely had minimal fanfare.

I dont see how Ayumi would be more " advertisement" for her own game than any other character.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I dont see the problem. If they added characters who havent had a new game in decades i dont see why the cant add one with a recent game that merely had minimal fanfare.

I dont see how Ayumi would be more " advertisement" for her own game than any other character.
I agree that people trying to split characters into the "advertising shill picks" and "totally not an ad, exclusively added for the benefit of their fans" is a dumb thing to do; everyone in a crossover game is going to be getting free advertising.

That said, given Ayumi's game is also serving as her worldwide debut, I do think that the production timeline matters for her.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I agree that people trying to split characters into the "advertising shill picks" and "totally not an ad, exclusively added for the benefit of their fans" is a dumb thing to do
or 1st and 3rd party as we used to call 'em :4pacman:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sakurai has said the final character may be someone unexpected but he hope the audience will give them a chance.

What that means exactly is up in the air but maybe...

amageish

Smash Master
I personally find the statement really parallels the disclaimer preamble he gave Byleth - it's a "I hope you enjoy this even if this isn't the character you were expecting" statement, just with an additional "You may not even recognize the character" attached. So, yeah, I think the community as a whole should probably simmer down the big expectations that have developed...

That said, there's less then 24 hours to go. I'm not going to personally be putting much effort into reverse-engineering who it could be; it's just a matter of time at this point.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai has said the final character may be someone unexpected but he hope the audience will give them a chance.

What that means exactly is up in the air but maybe...
This could only mean that the final DLC fighter is someone that many fans are not expecting or not a huge iconic name similar to Byleth. Overall this last fighter is without a doubt is going to receive different levels of salt especially by fans who are expecting the character to be someone like Master Chief, Crash, or Sora. We are now only less than 24 hours away & i`m going to wish Ayumi the best of luck for tomorrow, let`s all hope for the best.

Top Bottom