• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Untitled.png2.png

Here`s the third Spirit Event of August. Based on characters from No More Heroes.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think the Final Fighter likely isn’t until November, so I’m not expecting them in the September Direct.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Untitled.png

Here`s the first Tournament Event of September, which it`s main focus is assist trophies.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
The Girl's at her last opportunity for Smash. Let's hope se gets in.
I doubt it'd be her last chance forever, especially if the next game is another one with Sakurai at the helm and in charge of the roster selection...

I mean, didn't these games not do so hot over here?
Who knows. All we know is that they sold under a million units worldwide, which isn't saying much given the genre...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I doubt it'd be her last chance forever, especially if the next game is another one with Sakurai at the helm and in charge of the roster selection...

Who knows. All we know is that they sold under a million units worldwide, which isn't saying much given the genre...
Furthermore the "less than million units worldwide" figure gets a huge asterisk considering the sources for it are...dubious. They placed in the top ten in Japan on physical sales and as far as I'm aware we have no true concrete knowledge of their digital sales.

amageish

Smash Master
Furthermore the "less than million units worldwide" figure gets a huge asterisk considering the sources for it are...dubious. They placed in the top ten in Japan on physical sales and as far as I'm aware we have no true concrete knowledge of their digital sales.
Nintendo lists all of the Nintendo-published games that sell 1 million units or more in their financial reports; that's pretty much the only way that we learn anything about digital sales numbers. As FDC was never listed, we can safely say they didn't break a million worldwide (not that it'd be reasonable to expect them to have done so).

The dubious Twitter people I've seen claim it sold under 25k worldwide which, as we've discussed before, is basically impossible due to Japanese's physical sales being 22k.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
If you don't mind me asking. Why is that?
While I'm not extremely confident, I was just thinking about the timing of the reveal. The presentation itself is less than two weeks away, if the character was big enough to have widespread appeal, I think this direct would've been the best place to put it. Or rather, just a character that you could sell people on from their existence in the game. While it's possible that they just wanted to save the final for its own presentation as a way to end it climatically, I feel like it being so close could also be a sign that it's a smaller character that they'd want to sell people on mainly from their moveset, sort of like Byleth where they were aware the character itself would cause a lot of fuss and showed the moveset immediately after to get most on board. She's also in a comparable spot with Byleth being from a game that's released almost half a year ago that could potentially get a lot of salt when revealed. It's just a theory overall, but I do think that if the character was a huge one that it would've been shown here as you've got a wider audience in a general direct than just the smash fans tuning into the presentation.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not extremely confident, I was just thinking about the timing of the reveal. The presentation itself is less than two weeks away, if the character was big enough to have widespread appeal, I think this direct would've been the best place to put it. Or rather, just a character that you could sell people on from their existence in the game. While it's possible that they just wanted to save the final for its own presentation as a way to end it climatically, I feel like it being so close could also be a sign that it's a smaller character that they'd want to sell people on mainly from their moveset, sort of like Byleth where they were aware the character itself would cause a lot of fuss and showed the moveset immediately after to get most on board. She's also in a comparable spot with Byleth being from a game that's released almost half a year ago that could potentially get a lot of salt when revealed. It's just a theory overall, but I do think that if the character was a huge one that it would've been shown here as you've got a wider audience in a general direct than just the smash fans tuning into the presentation.
Yeah. Now that you mention it, it does seem rather strange they would make the reveal in the Moveset showcase as opposed to the Direct as opposed to the previous reveals where they had the Reveal and the Showcase separate. I'm not sure if that necessarily means the last character would be less popular but I see your point and you may be right. But I also highly doubt it's going to be a character Like Master Chief. If it was him or someone similar, I'd think they would announce them at the VGA's in december.

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Now that you mention it, it does seem rather strange they would make the reveal in the Moveset showcase as opposed to the Direct as opposed to the previous reveals where they had the Reveal and the Showcase separate. I'm not sure if that necessarily means the last character would be less popular but I see your point. But I highly doubt it's going to be a character Like Master Chief. If it was him or someone similar, I'd think they would announce them at the VGA's in december.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. It could definitely be a popular character, but I think if it was a "huge" one, we'd know who they were already. This wait will be slightly painful for sure, haha.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I agree with Clumsyzephyr! I'm not saying it has to be a smaller character, but I expect there was a reason that they are doing the reveal in a format where Sakurai has 40 minutes to justify the choice after their reveal haha...

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I agree with Clumsyzephyr! I'm not saying it has to be a smaller character, but I expect there was a reason that they are doing the reveal in a format where Sakurai has 40 minutes to justify the choice after their reveal haha...
Yeah, I hate when Sakurai does that.

Last edited:

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
That`s a very interesting theory you have there. I agree with the fact that if the last DLC fighter was a huge iconic name they would've revealed it at this direct similar to that of Kazuya or at TGA similar to Sephiroth. And the fact that Sakurai is going to reveal & showcase the fighter`s moveset if almost like what happened with Byleth. I`m not saying that the fighter`s status is smaller but at the end of the day it will still leave plenty of people disappointed. Ayumi does fit this pretty well but we`ll have to wait and see.

amageish

Smash Master

I find it weird how many people/outlets cover the Ayumi-was-almost-in-Melee story as if it is news... I guess people want clicks and Smash gets 'em those clicks, but this article really frames the quote as if Sakurai said it yesterday and not 6 years ago...

It also says that her remake doesn't make her relevant enough to get into Smash, which makes me wonder what defines relevance in the author's opinion...

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, uh, I guess a bunch of people are copying each other with their clickbait? Or something? As I searched Ayumi's name and there is a whole lot of coverage of her being cut from Melee as if it is brand new news and not something that was said in 2015...

1632690113872.png

1632690157230.png

1632690192015.png

1632690240173.png

It's odd! The media cycle confuses me...

Attachments

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
Okay, uh, I guess a bunch of people are copying each other with their clickbait? Or something? As I searched Ayumi's name and there is a whole lot of coverage of her being cut from Melee as if it is brand new news and not something that was said in 2015...

View attachment 331715
View attachment 331717
View attachment 331718
View attachment 331719

It's clearly an atttempt of some big executive from Sora Ltd. of trying to leak things in a subtle way. This important person probably paid those websites to reuse a well known fact as something new so people that don't know the character aknowledge their existance but don't expect it when the reveal actually happens. So we can now assure 100% the character is the protagonist of FDC or Ayumi or even both!
OK I'll stop with the stupid paranoia over conspiracies thing.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

View attachment 331715
View attachment 331717
View attachment 331718
View attachment 331719

The news industry (In all forms) is fairly incestuous on pretty much all fronts. It's why you almost always see the same articles on multiple sites saying pretty much the same thing.

amageish

Smash Master
It's clearly an atttempt of some big executive from Sora Ltd. of trying to leak things in a subtle way. This important person probably paid those websites to reuse a well known fact as something new so people that don't know the character aknowledge their existance but don't expect it when the reveal actually happens. So we can now assure 100% the character is the protagonist of FDC or Ayumi or even both!
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Yeah, I highly doubt that is the case. If it ends up being Ayumi, then this story re-circulating would be a funny coincidence though.

The news industry (In all forms) is fairly incestuous on pretty much all fronts. It's why you almost always see the same articles on multiple sites saying pretty much the same thing.
Yeah, I'm aware this is just a case of someone posting all news and people scrambling to get clicks for a new comment from Sakurai in spite of the comment being from 2016... It just is shocking to me how much of Ayumi's google results are clogged by this right now though. I was originally just looking for a picture to use for a post about how 2021 has a lot of mystery games releasing in it...

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

Now that you mention it, it seems rather odd they are bringing this up NOW. This has been known by nearly everyone for years so It seems random they are suddenly bringing it up now. Yes, I know the Smash direct itself may be a reason but why Ayumi specifically? Other characters are known to have been considered by Sakurai. It doesn't make sense.

But anyway, I was already dragged down this rabbit hole with Ashley and Shantae. I am not going to let it happen with Ayumi either

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 331715
View attachment 331717
View attachment 331718
View attachment 331719

they also all acted like him saying no non video game characters in smash was new even though it was the second time hed said it

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ayumi would be a perfect left field character to end things off as she's a retro character (FAMICOM Detective Club), she has relevancy (remakes), she's know to western audiences (localisation of said remakes) and she'd be the perfect rage choices (Too many anime characters? Have a literal Japanese schoolgirl!)

Same way that every store has the petulant "Nobody wants to work anymore" on their signs without a thought to how it makes them look.

amageish

Smash Master
Now that you mention it, it seems rather odd they are bringing this up NOW. This has been known by nearly everyone for years so It seems random they are suddenly bringing it up now. Yes, I know the Smash direct itself may be a reason but why Ayumi specifically? Other characters are known to have been considered by Sakurai. It doesn't make sense.

But anyway, I was already dragged down this rabbit hole with Ashley and Shantae. I am not going to let it happen with Ayumi either
I see no reason to think that random clickbait media outlets know who the final character is. I think she's just in a good place for clickbait as she's not known, but also not completely unknown? She regularly has appeared on memes on the Smash subreddits about how the pass will probably end anti-climatically...

they also all acted like him saying no non video game characters in smash was new even though it was the second time hed said it
At least with that he had commented on it a second time though, while this is dragging up a 2015-era quote as if it is new.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice

I find it weird how many people/outlets cover the Ayumi-was-almost-in-Melee story as if it is news... I guess people want clicks and Smash gets 'em those clicks, but this article really frames the quote as if Sakurai said it yesterday and not 6 years ago...

It also says that her remake doesn't make her relevant enough to get into Smash, which makes me wonder what defines relevance in the author's opinion...
Yeah its really strange that they are bringing this up now with the last Smash reveal being so close & saying that Ayumi`s not relevant enough is a lie because she`s relevant she`s ever been now thanks to the remakes & being known to the western audiences. Also a lot of people now believe that Sora from Kingdom Hearts is the final DLC fighter because of some 4chan leak that supposedly got the date of the last Smash reveal correct back in July this year. I don`t have anything against him because he`s well-known & highly requested, but always just like with any other leak especially if it`s from 4chan to take it with a huge grain of salt. It will be ashame that Sora fans have high expectations of him being the last fighter & then being disappointed if it`s someone other than him.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah its really strange that they are bringing this up now with the last Smash reveal being so close & saying that Ayumi`s not relevant enough is a lie because she`s relevant she`s ever been now thanks to the remakes & being known to the western audiences. Also a lot of people now believe that Sora from Kingdom Hearts is the final DLC fighter because of some 4chan leak that supposedly got the date of the last Smash reveal correct back in July this year. I don`t have anything against him because he`s well-known & highly requested, but always just like with any other leak especially if it`s from 4chan to take it with a huge grain of salt. It will be ashame that Sora fans have high expectations of him being the last fighter & then being disappointed if it`s someone other than him.
I think they probably just have only a week left to get clicks from Smash headlines and so someone decided to recycle an old story as new...

As for the 4chan leak, I'm not personally convinced. October 5th is a lucky guess, but predicting the first Tuesday of October isn't irrational when Steve launched around this time last year and Smash news traditionally comes out on Tuesdays.

I think any first-party character will inevitably lead to salt... or most third-parties... honestly, people will be salty about this outcome no matter what.

Top Bottom