• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
So does this mean Pauline is likely deconfirmed? Because, was one of my picks as one of the most likely.
No because it's not a new spirit being added to the board. Idk where this idea came from that regular spirit events mean things for fighters. The only thing that matters is if a new spirits are added like Monster Hunter because then the question is being asked "Why wouldn't they save the spirits for the DLC fighter's spirit board?"

amageish

Smash Master
Slight spoilers for The Girl Who Stands Behind
Someone managed to get all Ayumi's hearts!

Interesting! I got 16 hearts and the dialogue is fairly similar, but without the dialogue about the photo and Protag-kun saying a bunch of heart emoji.

amageish

Smash Master
Here's a moveset! Thanks to Clumsyzephyr Clumsyzephyr for talking parts of it out with me.

Neutral Special: Action - Look. Ayumi takes a thinking pose and a Magnifying Glass cursor appears. The player can move it using the normal movement controls and hit the special button a second time to make a small explosion near the cursor. You can cancel this move anytime by hitting the shield button. This is inspired by/blatantly ripped off from this Layton moveset.

Down Special: Action - Grab. Ayumi reaches forward and does a quick grab gesture. If she hits a player, then this is basically just a fancy way of doing a grab. If she hits a ranged attack, this functions like Villager’s pocket and collects the item as evidence. She can collect up to 4 items. This is inspired by/blatantly ripped off from this Danganronpa moveset (V3 SPOILERS), but also that is my Danganronpa moveset, so it’s probably okay. I'm allowed to steal from my past self.

Side Special: Action - Show. Ayumi shows evidence she collected with her down-special, doing slightly more damage than the ranged attack would normally do, but as a short-ranged physical attack. If she has no evidence, she just shows a photograph, doing a small amount of damage to anyone it hits.

Up Special: Action - Think. Thinking is conventionally seen as happening high in the body, so thinking causes Ayumi to float up slightly, at a controlled ROB-esque speed. Problem is that she will eventually have a “Eureka!” moment, at which point she drops into free fall, so be careful!

Jabs: Briefcase. Ayumi swings around her briefcase with her jabs. Swoosh swoosh! The full combo ends with her dropping it and looking surprised, a la her Melee trophy. Her dash attack has her comedically running into the person.

Aerials: Action - Quit The Investigation. Ayumi pulls up the menu, attempting to hit the save button. She never successfully saves, naturally, but the menu appearing beside her does damage to anyone it hits.

Smash Attacks: Action - Use - Flashlight / Action - Use - Naginata. Side-Smash attacks have her shining a stun-inducing flashlight. Up-smash is the obligatory “She uses the naginata we never see nor hear about in the actual game” move.

Final Smash: Action - Speculate. The camera cuts to a brief 2D CG of Ayumi thinking and muttering about the best way to move forward. By the time we return to the battlefield, everyone has been knocked into stun, giving Ayumi to run around and swat at people as she wishes.

Taunts: Action - Talk. Protagonist-kun appears in her taunts to give her moral support, a la Rex with Pyra/Mythra.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's a moveset! Thanks to Clumsyzephyr Clumsyzephyr for talking parts of it out with me.

Neutral Special: Action - Look. Ayumi takes a thinking pose and a Magnifying Glass cursor appears. The player can move it using the normal movement controls and hit the special button a second time to make a small explosion near the cursor. You can cancel this move anytime by hitting the shield button. This is inspired by/blatantly ripped off from this Layton moveset.

Down Special: Action - Grab. Ayumi reaches forward and does a quick grab gesture. If she hits a player, then this is basically just a fancy way of doing a grab. If she hits a ranged attack, this functions like Villager’s pocket and collects the item as evidence. She can collect up to 4 items. This is inspired by/blatantly ripped off from this Danganronpa moveset (V3 SPOILERS), but also that is my Danganronpa moveset, so it’s probably okay. I'm allowed to steal from my past self.

Side Special: Action - Show. Ayumi shows evidence she collected with her down-special, doing slightly more damage than the ranged attack would normally do, but as a short-ranged physical attack. If she has no evidence, she just shows a photograph, doing a small amount of damage to anyone it hits.

Up Special: Action - Think. Thinking is conventionally seen as happening high in the body, so thinking causes Ayumi to float up slightly, at a controlled ROB-esque speed. Problem is that she will eventually have a “Eureka!” moment, at which point she drops into free fall, so be careful!

Jabs: Briefcase. Ayumi swings around her briefcase with her jabs. Swoosh swoosh! The full combo ends with her dropping it and looking surprised, a la her Melee trophy. Her dash attack has her comedically running into the person.

Aerials: Action - Quit The Investigation. Ayumi pulls up the menu, attempting to hit the save button. She never successfully saves, naturally, but the menu appearing beside her does damage to anyone it hits.

Smash Attacks: Action - Use - Flashlight / Action - Use - Naginata. Side-Smash attacks have her shining a stun-inducing flashlight. Up-smash is the obligatory “She uses the naginata we never see nor hear about in the actual game” move.

Final Smash: Action - Speculate. The camera cuts to a brief 2D CG of Ayumi thinking and muttering about the best way to move forward. By the time we return to the battlefield, everyone has been knocked into stun, giving Ayumi to run around and swat at people as she wishes.

Taunts: Action - Talk. Protagonist-kun appears in her taunts to give her moral support, a la Rex with Pyra/Mythra.
Pretty decent moveset concept

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice

This is a very thought out moveset. I really liked the concept of her Up Special, Final Smash, & Taunt.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
This is a very thought out moveset. I really liked the concept of her Up Special, Final Smash, & Taunt.
Thanks! I'm glad you like the Final Smash; I know it's a weird choice. I just really wanted a Final Smash that (i) isn't a full cinematic as we've had a lot of those in DLC and (ii) isn't the usual "Character interrogates you so hard you die" you see with mystery characters lol.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, so movesets:

I like the ideas of integrating the Take and Show options presented so far. Personally, I'd put them into a single button for simplicity's sake, mainly for Kirby's Copy Ability. I also think we could turn the close-up command grab version into Call/Address, which is what you generally use when trying to get people to talk to you.

One idea I had reading through this is having Think give you a stat buff depending on the evidence you have so far. It's basically using what you know to try and progress in the case, and I feel like that's a pretty decent way of translating the mechanic.

As for recovery... Yeah, I'm stumped. Maybe Travel, I guess? Or we could do the DBZ flash step effect because that's what all the speaking portrait transitions made me think of

EDIT: This was meant for CET but it's still related to Ayumi so it's still relevant

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Alright, so movesets:

I like the ideas of integrating the Take and Show options presented so far. Personally, I'd put them into a single button for simplicity's sake, mainly for Kirby's Copy Ability. I also think we could turn the close-up command grab version into Call/Address, which is what you generally use when trying to get people to talk to you.

One idea I had reading through this is having Think give you a stat buff depending on the evidence you have so far. It's basically using what you know to try and progress in the case, and I feel like that's a pretty decent way of translating the mechanic.

As for recovery... Yeah, I'm stumped. Maybe Travel, I guess? Or we could do the DBZ flash step effect because that's what all the speaking portrait transitions made me think of

EDIT: This was meant for CET but it's still related to Ayumi so it's still relevant
Honestly if you were to make every special attack have a menu icon pop up, I wouldn't put Travel as too farfetched of an option. You gotta work with what you got. Or idk maybe the girl who stands behind picks her up? I haven't played the second game yet because I'm too occupied with SMT III: Nocturne but is that like a viable option?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly if you were to make every special attack have a menu icon pop up, I wouldn't put Travel as too farfetched of an option. You gotta work with what you got. Or idk maybe the girl who stands behind picks her up? I haven't played the second game yet because I'm too occupied with SMT III: Nocturne but is that like a viable option?
Eh, the eponymous girl is more something that hangs over the story than a direct player (So far; I'm about seven chapter in at the moment). At best, they'd be a Legend Spirit... Which, given the nature of the rumor, actually makes sense.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I'm glad you like the Final Smash; I know it's a weird choice. I just really wanted a Final Smash that (i) isn't a full cinematic as we've had a lot of those in DLC and (ii) isn't the usual "Character interrogates you so hard you die" you see with mystery characters lol.
You`re welcome! Their are a lot of characters who have cinematic Final Smashes so i understand completely. I can already imagine fighters being stuck in their stun poses after Ayumi speculates.

amageish

Smash Master
Area we assuming both Characters will be revealed at E3? I think it might only be one.
I'm on the fence. I think both would make sense, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo wanted to drive up interest in a Fall Direct and people do love themselves Smash announcements.

Also, I wrote this up for the character exploration thread, but I have another Ayumi thought. This one, however, contains mechanical spoilers. Not narrative spoilers, to be clear, but spoilers for something mechanically that happens in the post-credits of The Girl Who Stands Behind.

So, if you've played The Girl Who Stands Behind, you know its secret... It keeps track of every move you do and uses that information to do a personality test (telling you if you were more sympathetic, more hardboiled, more focused, more roundabout, etc) and a compatibility test with Ayumi, where you can earn up to 20 hearts with her by being especially nice to her throughout the game.

This mechanic kind of functions as the game's "Samus is revealed to be a woman" scene. It's a minor post-credits thing that rewards players for multiple playthroughs and trying new things. It is very hard to do and, AFIAK, there are no guides on how to do it up online (yet). Frankly, it's a kind of weird and pointless feature that left me mostly confused.

It is, however, also potentially one of if not the most historically noteworthy thing Famicom Detective did? Dating simulators were not culturally a thing in 1989 and wouldn't be for several years. It'd be even longer until games like Harvest Moon (1996), Sakura Wars (1996), and Persona 2: Innocent Sin (1999) popularized the idea of dating sim elements in a game not entirely dedicated to being a dating sim. There were some forrunners like Girl's Garden (1984/5, a SEGA game entirely about winning a boy's affections) and Sakamoto's project he developed immediately before Famicom Detective, Miho Nakayama's Heartbeat High School (an adventure game about winning the affections of an actual celebrity, published by Nintendo and developed by a team including both Sakamoto and Hironobu Sakaguchi, AKA the creator of Final Fantasy), but this is still... historically noteworthy?

So, my stupid proposal is this: Ayumi has a secret fighter's ability, the Affection Meter, which changes the victory screen you get when winning as her based on how much damage you take relative to how much damage you give out. If you have a really clean match and just sweep the floor with your opponents, Ayumi is happier and excited with lines that thank the player for their skills, while weaker performance makes her a little bit underwhelmed and more willing to take credit for the victory. Additionally, as a bonus, scoring a full 20 hearts in an online battles gives you a slight boost to your Global Smash Power.

Otherwise, just like in Famicom Detective Club, the Affection Meter has exactly 0 impact on gameplay.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
So Commander_Alph Commander_Alph on the character exploration thread posted this

It's the source of her spirit artwork along with an actual picture of her wielding that rumored naginata. So it technically wasn't ALL just flavour text.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
I'm on the fence. I think both would make sense, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo wanted to drive up interest in a Fall Direct and people do love themselves Smash announcements.

Also, I wrote this up for the character exploration thread, but I have another Ayumi thought. This one, however, contains mechanical spoilers. Not narrative spoilers, to be clear, but spoilers for something mechanically that happens in the post-credits of The Girl Who Stands Behind.

So, if you've played The Girl Who Stands Behind, you know its secret... It keeps track of every move you do and uses that information to do a personality test (telling you if you were more sympathetic, more hardboiled, more focused, more roundabout, etc) and a compatibility test with Ayumi, where you can earn up to 20 hearts with her by being especially nice to her throughout the game.

This mechanic kind of functions as the game's "Samus is revealed to be a woman" scene. It's a minor post-credits thing that rewards players for multiple playthroughs and trying new things. It is very hard to do and, AFIAK, there are no guides on how to do it up online (yet). Frankly, it's a kind of weird and pointless feature that left me mostly confused.

It is, however, also potentially one of if not the most historically noteworthy thing Famicom Detective did? Dating simulators were not culturally a thing in 1989 and wouldn't be for several years. It'd be even longer until games like Harvest Moon (1996), Sakura Wars (1996), and Persona 2: Innocent Sin (1999) popularized the idea of dating sim elements in a game not entirely dedicated to being a dating sim. There were some forrunners like Girl's Garden (1984/5, a SEGA game entirely about winning a boy's affections) and Sakamoto's project he developed immediately before Famicom Detective, Miho Nakayama's Heartbeat High School (an adventure game about winning the affections of an actual celebrity, published by Nintendo and developed by a team including both Sakamoto and Hironobu Sakaguchi, AKA the creator of Final Fantasy), but this is still... historically noteworthy?

So, my stupid proposal is this: Ayumi has a secret fighter's ability, the Affection Meter, which changes the victory screen you get when winning as her based on how much damage you take relative to how much damage you give out. If you have a really clean match and just sweep the floor with your opponents, Ayumi is happier and excited with lines that thank the player for their skills, while weaker performance makes her a little bit underwhelmed and more willing to take credit for the victory. Additionally, as a bonus, scoring a full 20 hearts in an online battles gives you a slight boost to your Global Smash Power.

Otherwise, just like in Famicom Detective Club, the Affection Meter has exactly 0 impact on gameplay.
I did not know that (mostly because i didn`t see the end credits) but that would be an interesting mechanic in my opinion.

amageish

Smash Master
Both games were discussed during the Nintendo Power Podcast so i consider that a plus.
Definitely not a bad sign! They are treating them about as well as they do most... AA Nintendo releases? Idk the term. Nintendo releases that aren't family-friendly fun-for-everyone, but they still obviously want to sell.

Also, this happened! Makoto Asada casually brought up an interest in developing his own FDC game in an interview with Sakamoto and Famitsu. It's not confirmation or anything, of course, but it's good to know there is interest in it.

It's not super surprising the MAGES half of the collaboration is interesting in it continuing; we just gotta hope Nintendo feels the same way...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Definitely not a bad sign! They are treating them about as well as they do most... AA Nintendo releases? Idk the term. Nintendo releases that aren't family-friendly fun-for-everyone, but they still obviously want to sell.

Also, this happened! Makoto Asada casually brought up an interest in developing his own FDC game in an interview with Sakamoto and Famitsu. It's not confirmation or anything, of course, but it's good to know there is interest in it.

It's not super surprising the MAGES half of the collaboration is interesting in it continuing; we just gotta hope Nintendo feels the same way...
I mean, Mario + Rabbids 2 got "announced", so who knows?

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
One thing I'm curious about after finishing The Missing Heir, exactly what kind of business did the Ayashiros specialize in anyway?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
One thing I'm curious about after finishing The Missing Heir, exactly what kind of business did the Ayashiros specialize in anyway?
I have a suspicion it may have been weapons lol. For wars and import. They do have a bad name so you might as well just do what you do best regardless.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just finished Missing Heir and hoooly ****, I loved it.

I had apparently been spoiled on the MC being the missing heir and it was something I absolutely forgot about up until you figure out Yuri had a kid. Despite that, it was an absolutely wild ride and I hope to enjoy The Girl Who Stands Behind.

Top Bottom