• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Someone on gamefaqs thinks if we get a FDC character it will be the main character because they have a bigger role on the remake than in the original. Does anyone else think this?

It makes no sense to me. Ayumi is the mascot.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Someone on gamefaqs thinks if we get a FDC character it will be the main character because they have a bigger role on the remake than in the original. Does anyone else think this?

I think the biggest argument against that is that we already know it was Ayumi herself that was considered. I don't believe her mascot status is necessarily what makes her more likely, but rather the fact that there's not really any game mechanics that could be pulled that'd be exclusive to the protagonist himself. She's also just the other main character who in the original had actual screen time in the game itself and arguably more to pull from for a smash moveset.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think the biggest argument against that is that we already know it was Ayumi herself that was considered. I don't believe her mascot status is necessarily what makes her more likely, but rather the fact that there's not really any game mechanics that could be pulled that'd be exclusive to the protagonist himself. She's also just the other main character who in the original had actual screen time in the game itself and arguably more to pull from for a smash moveset.
There's also the fact that she's been used for a trophy in Melee, a Spirit in Ultimate, and a costume in Super Mario Maker. She's been used consistently as the sole representative of her series whenever it makes a cameo in another game, and I'd imagine that would hold up for a DLC fighter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah im with you on that one, i think the fact that she was considered before gives her a bit of an edge

then again dixie was considered before and we ended up with someone else

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Same. Either more of this series, or more remakes of Nintendo's old Visual Novels. There's Shin Onigashima and others from back then too that we never got to see except for some trophies in Smash.
I think a Shin Onigashima remake would be nice. If they ever remake Shin Onigashima, they should use music from both the Famicom version and the Super Famicom version.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
As funny as it'd be to hear Xander shout "PROTAGONIST" on the character select screen, I'm not too worried about that one. Ayumi shares the protagonist's skillset and is narratively a protagonist herself.

I've been thinking: If Ayumi got in, who would be your choice of Mii Costume? Are you thinking it'd be retro-focused set? A visual novel set?

I'm suddenly wondering if MAGES developing the game means we can get Steins;Gate costumes... in spite of how Steins;Gate is primarily known as an anime in the west...

I want a lil' Mii Luka swordfighter.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think a good comparison between the protagonist and Ayumi is the situation with Cross and Elma in Xenoblade Chronicles X. For all intents and purposes, Elma is both the main character and the face of the game, even if Cross as the avatar is also a protagonist.

Naturally, whenever X is represented in something, it's with Elma, not with Cross. Similar situation.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
The idea of the main character not being the protagonist of the tale is something that actually happens a lot in fiction. I assume there's a term for it, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. We even have some examples of such in Smash: Chrom is really the protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening and Robin, while important, is more there to prop up Chrom. You could kiiiinda say the same for Rex and Pythra but it's more of a stretch. Either way, there's no need to worry about Ayumi being snubbed for the unnamed protagonist. (Though idk if the unnamed protagonist is even a bad character yet since I'm waiting for the remakes to come out before learning the story lol) Tons and tons of classic fiction through the years do the same thing. Dr. Watson is the narrator, but Sherlock Holmes is the protagonist. Ishmael is the narrator, but Captain Ahab is the protagonist. Nick is the narrator, but Gatsby is the protagonist. Et cetera...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I wouldn't give GameFaqs 2 cents for thought. Just ignore them.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I wonder what the future has in store for the Famicom Detective Club series. I'm so excited just thinking about it. :)
Oh, man... what if this also leads to bigger and better things...? Like, not just for the Detective Club, but others like Shin Onigashima and Yuyuki? Maybe even (and I know this isn't a VN game, but still) The Mysterious Murasame Castle? Among many others, I mean.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh, man... what if this also leads to bigger and better things...? Like, not just for the Detective Club, but others like Shin Onigashima and Yuyuki? Maybe even (and I know this isn't a VN game, but still) The Mysterious Murasame Castle? Among many others, I mean.
Or a new Mach Rider or the 8-Bits like Wart and his other goons returning to the Mario series?

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Or a new Mach Rider or the 8-Bits like Wart and his other goons returning to the Mario series?
Or, as unlikely as it sounds, more/new Nintendo light gun shooters, or more/new Nintendo arcade games in general?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Or, as unlikely as it sounds, more/new Nintendo light gun shooters, or more/new Nintendo arcade games in general?
Calm down, CALM DOWN! ONE MIRACLE AT A TIME, PEOPLE! Like I mentioned earlier, this depends on the sales. If you want more stuff like this, put your money where your mouth is.

amageish

Smash Master
I think that the main thing the remake doing well would say (beyond Famicom Detective itself having fans/demand) would be that outsourcing old/"forgotten" IPs is a worthwhile investment for Nintendo.

As I can't imagine Nintendo would be willing to put internal resources on old IPs, but it can't hurt to give it to well-known-but-niche who otherwise may not be making a game for Nintendo platforms at all.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The idea of the main character not being the protagonist of the tale is something that actually happens a lot in fiction. I assume there's a term for it, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. We even have some examples of such in Smash: Chrom is really the protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening and Robin, while important, is more there to prop up Chrom. You could kiiiinda say the same for Rex and Pythra but it's more of a stretch. Either way, there's no need to worry about Ayumi being snubbed for the unnamed protagonist. (Though idk if the unnamed protagonist is even a bad character yet since I'm waiting for the remakes to come out before learning the story lol) Tons and tons of classic fiction through the years do the same thing. Dr. Watson is the narrator, but Sherlock Holmes is the protagonist. Ishmael is the narrator, but Captain Ahab is the protagonist. Nick is the narrator, but Gatsby is the protagonist. Et cetera...
I would contest that for Robin (the plot hinges on them and they have a predetermined personality, even if they have customization options), but the parallels of Captain Ahab or Sherlock Holmes are really solid.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
If the Extra DLC rumor turns out to be true i believe that Ayumi will be that fighter. She has several things going for her.
1. She has remakes of her games coming out very soon which will no doubt boost her odds.
2. Sakurai is a fan of her series to the point that she was seriously considered to be a playable fighter in Melee. So now this is his chance to fulfill that dream.
3. Smash has seen Retro characters being playable fighters Melee had:ultgnw:, Brawl had:ultrob:, and Smash 4 had:ultduckhunt:. Ayumi will be perfect for being the Retro Rep for Ultimate.
4. Her series it still popular in Japan to this day.
5. Ayumi being included in Smash will make her the first video game character from the Visual Novel genre.
6. She also made several cameo appearances being a trophy in Melee, a spirit in Ultimate, and even a playable mystery mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
If the Extra DLC rumor turns out to be true i believe that Ayumi will be that fighter. She has several things going for her.
1. She has remakes of her games coming out very soon which will no doubt boost her odds.
2. Sakurai is a fan of her series to the point that she was seriously considered to be a playable fighter in Melee. So now this is his chance to fulfill that dream.
3. Smash has seen Retro characters being playable fighters Melee had:ultgnw:, Brawl had:ultrob:, and Smash 4 had:ultduckhunt:. Ayumi will be perfect for being the Retro Rep for Ultimate.
4. Her series it still popular in Japan to this day.
5. Ayumi being included in Smash will make her the first video game character from the Visual Novel genre.
6. She also made several cameo appearances being a trophy in Melee, a spirit in Ultimate, and even a playable mystery mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker.
It sounds like a Nintendo thing to do.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ayumi being included in Smash will make her the first video game character from the Visual Novel genre.
And given the fact her series Famicom Detective Club influenced a lot of franchises from that genre like Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Steins Gate, ect, ect Ayumi deserves it.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I guess what remains is if Nintendo were considering including Ayumi for FP2 back in 2019 when the remakes were still early in development. And if they were considering bringing the remakes internationally in the first place.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I guess what remains is if Nintendo were considering including Ayumi for FP2 back in 2019 when the remakes were still early in development. And if they were considering bringing the remakes internationally in the first place.
This. They plan all this **** ahead of time so like you said, Ayumi had to be greenlited for Fighter's Pass 2 if she's in it in early to mid 2019 before all the fighters and everything in it was set in stone on paper.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Looking around and getting reminded that the remakes were delayed in Japan by 7 months, a few more thoughts:

• Were they originally going to be released internationally at a later date from its original Japanese release?
  • If what most everyone here thinks might be the case for Ayumi being in FP2, her being released so close to the remakes launch now ends up as a coincidence.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
It's not only possible but very, very likely they were planning on releasing this game to the west from the outset. The days of the hidden gem stuck in Japan are over. Pretty much anything of reasonable quality or name recognition get's localized these days. Even niche raunchy fan-service games like Senran Kagura and Gal-gun tend to get localized. A game would have to be really bad, niche or creepy to not to be localized now days.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Looking around and getting reminded that the remakes were delayed in Japan by 7 months, a few more thoughts:

• Were they originally going to be released internationally at a later date from its original Japanese release?
  • If what most everyone here thinks might be the case for Ayumi being in FP2, her being released so close to the remakes launch now ends up as a coincidence.
This is really hard to say, honestly. News just went radio silent for a long while - during which a global pandemic began - and then suddenly the popped back up with a worldwide release. Any scheduling shifts seem hard to predict and, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if there have been multiple shifts in that timespan.

That said, while release dates/windows for games certainly reflect how speculation changes (ex/ Paper Mario getting some focus, Isle of Armour discussion, etc etc), I don't think video game release dates actually line up with fighter announcements/releases enough for it to be worth putting that much stock into. Hero and DQXIS definitely worked out nicely, but most characters are either significantly before or significantly after a new game comes out.

I think a Smash character needs relevance in some form - a product that can be legally obtained containing that character - but I wouldn't worry about if Famicom Detective was originally going to be out 9 months before E3 2021 in the original project document. If they wanted Ayumi when they made FP2, then they would have picked her. All her game being out already would mean is that they'd have nice sales figures and potentially award nominations to include in the Smash Bros press release.

The Classic Dreamer

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4731-7744-2996
Moveset and some other ideas.

Ayumi Tachibana Solves the Case!

Series Symbol:

Entrance: Ayumi walks onto the stage. Drop the suitcase, look at the place and say "今 度 は そ の 場所 を 調 べ る と き で す" (Now it's time to investigate the place).

Animation standing still: Ayumi looks around placing her hand on her chin, as if she is thinking. Also she can look a map (Referencing BS Tantei Club).

Animation being helpless in the air: She places her hands to prevent her skirt from rising in front and behind to avoid showing her panties (She may be a great investigator, but she is still a schoolgirl).

Attacks with A: Ayumi will attack using different karate techniques. Because the protagonist mentions knowing karate, it is possible that she had learned somewhere between the second and the first game. This includes charged and aerial attacks.

Grabs: Based on judo and aikido movements (As these martial arts focus more on grabs).

B: Magnifying Glass Burn. This move is borrowed from AngstyGuy. As a good detective, Ayumi will use her magnifying glass; only that he will use it to attack. The beam may last a long time, but it will get weaker the longer it is used. You can move the Stick to make the beam hit closer or further.

Side B: Toxic Tea. Ayumi will throw a cup of tea containing that toxin that left the protagonist knocked out. The more damage the opponent has, the longer they will be stunned by the tea.

Up B: Rope. It is quite difficult to think of a moveset for a character that comes from a world like ours, so here it is a free idea. Ayumi has faced danger multiple times, so this time she is prepared. If she falls, she will throw a rope to hold onto the platform. It doesn't lift, but it hurts. In addition, it can also be used on the ground to attack opponents who are on top of it.

Down B: Evidence. In every visual mystery novel you must collect evidence, and the Tantei Club series is no exception. Like Mr. Game & Watch's Bucket or Villager's Pocket, Ayumi will put any projectile that comes close to her in an evidence bag. If you use this attack again, you can fire that projectile towards the opponent. It does not work with Finals Smash. And like Hero's Down B, she would get a menu to select a captured projectile (She can save some).

Final Smash: The Girl in Back. If Ayumi obtains the Smash Ball and activates it, the hall mirror appears. The mirror breaks and The Girl in Back comes out to attack all the opponents on stage. If the opponent has more than 100% damage, he/she is knocked out.

Taunt 1: Take out a notebook and write while saying "こ れ は こ の ケ ー ス を 解決 す る た め に 重要 で す" (This is important to solve this case).

Taunt 2: Ayumi takes out her mobile phone and says "私 は ど ん な ニ ュ ー ス に つ い て も あ な た に 話 す つ も り で す" (I'll let you know of any news)

Taunt 3: She points in front of her and says "私 は あ な た が こ の 背後 に あ る こ と を 知 っ て い ま す!" (I know you're the one behind this!).

Victory Pose 1: Ayumi looks at a photo and says "洋子 ... こ の 勝利 は あ な た の も の で す" (Yoko ... This victory is yours).

Victory Pose 2: Ayumi is in front of a blackboard with photos and newspaper articles. The protagonist and Shunsuke Utsugi see her pointing to a photo and saying "こ の 場合 は 閉 じ て い ま す!" (This case is closed!).

Victory Pose 3: She strikes a pose while saying "こ れ は 困難 で は な か っ た" (This was not difficult). This fanart shows the potential pose:

Fanart made by Ayumu.

Defeat Pose: Ayumi checks her notebook thinking that she was missing a piece of information.

No Contest Pose: She just claps.

Victory Theme: I'm honestly among three options for her fanfare. I don't know which one fits better:

-Option 1: A fragment of the Research topic (Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kokeisha). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSv2HfXOqx8

-Option 2: A fragment of the theme from the title screen (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QStEoF1lhY4

-Option 3: A fragment of the credits (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3JHz4pvdlI

Alternate colours: silenthunder already showed them yesterday. I know it's strange to refer to anime, but seifuku lends itself quite a bit to that.

Voice: Yuko Minaguchi.

Stage: Ushimitsu High School. (Work in Progress)

She would get her own Codec. If she taunts on this stage, she would talk with the protagonist and/or with Shunsuke Utsugi.

Kirby's hat: A wig that looks like Ayumi's hair.

Easter eggs:

-If Bayonetta wins against Ayumi in a fight, one of her victory poses would get a phrase referencing that discarted idea for Bayonetta 2 (That idea was Bayo using Ayumi's seifuku as a costume, with text-based attacks).

-If Ayumi picks a Beam Sword (Or any sword-like item), she puts herself in a kendo stance (Referencing this image:
).
I love where this is going, also hello! it's nice to meet you all, i think Ayumi Tachibana would be the Perfect joke Character for a Future Smash game, i mean, they got the Dog from Duck Hunt Playable in Smash 4, so i think we should have a School Girl like Ayumi playable!

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
On a side note. I was reading the comments to a Nintendo tweet about FDC and someone mentioned that Moms with Ayumi's hairstyle tend to die alot in Anime, That they are basically the Sean Bean of Anime. Can anyone who is a huge anime fan confirm if this is true? I am an Anime fan but not a Huge one. The only example I can think of is the Mom in Attack on Titan.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

In the scenario Ayumi is actually a DLC fighter in Ultimate so close to the release of the Famicom Detective Club remakes, I think it will be more of a coincidence than them delaying the remakes just to be closer to her fighter release in Smash. The real reason I think the remakes got delayed a bit was because of Covid and Nintendo probably changing their minds on the last minute about making the remakes Japan exclusive and doing the effort to localize these games in the west. Ayumi getting in Smash would be that sweet strawberry on top of the cake that is the localize Famicom Detective Club remakes.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
In the scenario Ayumi is actually a DLC fighter in Ultimate so close to the release of the Famicom Detective Club remakes, I think it will be more of a coincidence than them delaying the remakes just to be closer to her fighter release in Smash. The real reason I think the remakes got delayed a bit was because of Covid and Nintendo probably changing their minds on the last minute about making the remakes Japan exclusive and doing the effort to localize these games in the west. Ayumi getting in Smash would be that sweet strawberry on top of the cake that is the localize Famicom Detective Club remakes.
I mostly agree with this but I think the Delay was ONLY due to Covid-19. I think that Nintendo planned to localize this game from the outset. As i said before most decent games these days are localized and its hard to imagine Nintendo not bringing over a game as well made as FDC to the west even though the original was japan only.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I mostly agree with this but I think the Delay was ONLY due to Covid-19. I think that Nintendo planned to localize this game from the outset. As i said before most decent games these days are localized and its hard to imagine Nintendo not bringing over a game as well made as FDC to the west even though the original was japan only.
Then again, Buddy Mission BOND wasn’t localized so.................

Top Bottom