• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Id like to point out we've never really gotten a Retro rep for ultimate yet. Simon Kinda counts but not really. Plus retro reps tend to come out towards the end. I try not to get my hopes up but this fact gives me hope.

While Ayumi in Smash is still a long shot, but with her high quality remakes of her games coming to the west we are still in FAR better shape than we were two years ago.

It was really bleak back then when the only glimmer hope we had was Ayumis costume in Mariomaker and the fact that Sakurai considered Ayumi for melee and he included Sukapon and Ditto in Ultimate, two concepts he also considered for melee but did not make it in. I still remember everyone hoping against all odds that sakurai might take up a new fdc game up after Ultimate. Similiar to how he took up Kid Icarus.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Id like to point out we've never really gotten a Retro rep for ultimate yet. Simon Kinda counts but not really. Plus retro reps tend to come out towards the end. I try not to get my hopes up but this fact gives me hope.

While Ayumi in Smash is still a long shot, but with her high quality remakes of her games coming to the west we are still in FAR better shape than we were two years ago.

It was really bleak back then when the only glimmer hope we had was Ayumis costume in Mariomaker and the fact that Sakurai considered Ayumi for melee and he included Sukapon and Ditto in Ultimate, two concepts he also considered for melee but did not make it in. I still remember everyone hoping against all odds that sakurai might take up a new fdc game up after Ultimate. Similiar to how he took up Kid Icarus.
Plus when most people say a Retro rep, they're most of the time referring to classic NES Nintendo characters as the suppose Retro reps in all the Smash games have been Black Box Nintendo reps like Ice Climbers in Melee, R.O.B. in Brawl and Duck Hunt in Smash 4. Ultimate hasn't received a Black Box NES rep. We still could get one.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Plus when most people say a Retro rep, they're most of the time referring to classic NES Nintendo characters as the suppose Retro reps in all the Smash games have been Black Box Nintendo reps like Ice Climbers in Melee, R.O.B. in Brawl and Duck Hunt in Smash 4. Ultimate hasn't received a Black Box NES rep. We still could get one.
And Ayumi should fall under that category.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
This would honestly be pretty cool. As far as murder mystery protags go my MW is Phoenix Wright, but Ayumi would be great as well. The fact we're getting remakes of her starring games this year would certainly help boaster her chances.

From what I heard she was cut from Melee due to the lack of relevance outside of Japan, so this might very well be her opportunity.

Like Phoenix, I'm not quite sure how her moveset would work... though I'm sure Sakurai had something in mind since he considered her for Melee.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This would honestly be pretty cool. As far as murder mystery protags go my MW is Phoenix Wright, but Ayumi would be great as well. The fact we're getting remakes of her starring games this year would certainly help boaster her chances.

From what I heard she was cut from Melee due to the lack of relevance outside of Japan, so this might very well be her opportunity.

Like Phoenix, I'm not quite sure how her moveset would work... though I'm sure Sakurai had something in mind since he considered her for Melee.
lack of recognizability rather than relevance

amageish

Smash Master
I feel like most investigation characters have some basic overlap in normally proposed movesets... I've definitely seen a lot of variants of that magnifying glass attack at this point lol.

I imagine Ayumi would end up with some sort of unique fighter ability based on visual novel controls at this point though, given how DLC characters are... um... intensely unique. We're at the point where I would be rather surprised if they announced a DLC character with "only" 4 specials.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
This might be a little conspiratorial but I have
I imagine Ayumi would end up with some sort of unique fighter ability based on visual novel controls at this point though, given how DLC characters are... um... intensely unique. We're at the point where I would be rather surprised if they announced a DLC character with "only" 4 specials.
What are you saying it impossible to do that with Ayumi?

amageish

Smash Master
What are you saying it impossible to do that with Ayumi?
No? I'm fairly certain it'd be easy to make her unique, honestly, as she's representing a genre with no content in Smash right now beyond spirits (well, okay, I guess Persona is half-visual-novel, but it's not like Joker represents that)...

I mostly just was observing how movesets have evolved in complexity, as that moveset idea was drawn in 2006...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like most investigation characters have some basic overlap in normally proposed movesets... I've definitely seen a lot of variants of that magnifying glass attack at this point lol.
theres plenty of characters its perfect for.

and then one day people will be saying theres too many magnifying glasses

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
No? I'm fairly certain it'd be easy to make her unique, honestly, as she's representing a genre with no content in Smash right now beyond spirits (well, okay, I guess Persona is half-visual-novel, but it's not like Joker represents that)...

I mostly just was observing how movesets have evolved in complexity, as that moveset idea was drawn in 2006...
Okay thank you. I couldn't quite tell what you were saying in your previous message.

I'm glad you think so, I was worried it would be hard to come up with a unique enough moveset for ayumi and was pinning my hopes on the fact that Sakurai was able to make movesets for Characters like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Have any of these visual novel characters even USED magnifying glasses in canon?

Anyways, I don't think there's much to worry about in coming up with a moveset even if FDC doesn't have a lot of action. Sakurai has shown in the past he's willing to just make up moves as long as they fit the character's personality or gameplay. Like Min Min's slide kick or the way Byleth uses the Sword of the Creator as a grappling hook. Actually even Joker's grappling hook didn't exist in Persona til after he was in Smash.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
This might Sound A little Conspiratorial. But I always found the prices of the new FDC to be a little steep for games that only have 5 hours worth of gameplay a piece and are from a relatively unknown series in a pretty niche genre especially in the west. I'm probably wrong, but My theory is that Nintendo might be asking for the price they are asking for is because Ayumi might be in Smash and Nintendo can use her appearance to help drive people to buy the games at that price.

Yes, I know Nintendo is infamous for pricing their games rather high but even for Nintendo it seems rather bold to charge a rather high price for a remake of a game from a series that even most hardcore Nintendo fans have never heard of let alone casual Nintendo fans, So the technique of charging fans of games with a small but passionate fanbase more money to make up for it's size doesn't seem to make sense for FDC either.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This might Sound A little Conspiratorial. But I always found the prices of the new FDC to be a little steep for games that only have 5 hours worth of gameplay a piece and are from a relatively unknown series in a pretty niche genre especially in the west. I'm probably wrong, but My theory is that Nintendo might be asking for the price they are asking for is because Ayumi might be in Smash and Nintendo can use her appearance to help drive people to buy the games at that price.

Yes, I know Nintendo is infamous for pricing their games rather high but even for Nintendo it seems rather bold to charge a rather high price for a remake of a game from a series that even most hardcore Nintendo fans have never heard of let alone casual Nintendo fans, So the technique of charging fans of games with a small but passionate fanbase more money to make up for it's size doesn't seem to make sense for FDC either.
Or the games are longer

amageish

Smash Master
Okay thank you. I couldn't quite tell what you were saying in your previous message.

I'm glad you think so, I was worried it would be hard to come up with a unique enough moveset for ayumi and was pinning my hopes on the fact that Sakurai was able to make movesets for Characters like Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer.
I don't think uniqueness would be a concern for Ayumi, honestly lol. Any moveset for her would be unique by nature of... Well, how many other schoolgirl crime-solvers do we have on the roster?

theres plenty of characters its perfect for.

and then one day people will be saying theres too many magnifying glasses
"Smash Bros has far too many anime detectives!"
- Someone in 2031, probably

My only thing is the lack of a physical release worldwide... worries me? If Ayumi was getting a Smash spot to boost sales, then I'd expect them to want people to be able to get the game in stores and impulse-buy it based on recognizing the girl on the boxart from Smash Bros...

That said, given some news today, I'm guessing physical releases and lackthereof will be a common topic of discussion in the near future of Smash speculation... and maybe I'm overthinking it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My only thing is the lack of a physical release worldwide... worries me? If Ayumi was getting a Smash spot to boost sales, then I'd expect them to want people to be able to get the game in stores and impulse-buy it based on recognizing the girl on the boxart from Smash Bros...

That said, given some news today, I'm guessing physical releases and lackthereof will be a common topic of discussion in the near future of Smash speculation... and maybe I'm overthinking it.
i think we all over think smash inclusion. at least when compared to sakurai

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai's thought is probably just "Nintendo asked me for this; let's figure out how to make it best work and best be fun" at this point, so... yeah...
except in the case of a XC" character in which case it was "pyra and mythra must be on screen at all times no matter what"

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Since E3 has been announced and we are very likely going to see the last two Fighter's Pass 2 characters there as well as potentially the last newcomers in Ultimate period, I don't see a Retro character like Ayumi happening unless they announce some bonus DLC characters after Fighter's Pass 2 or at the end. I just don't think they want to have a Retro character take up a slot in one of the Challenger Packs.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Since E3 has been announced and we are very likely going to see the last two Fighter's Pass 2 characters there as well as potentially the last newcomers in Ultimate period, I don't see a Retro character like Ayumi happening unless they announce some bonus DLC characters after Fighter's Pass 2 or at the end. I just don't think they want to have a Retro character take up a slot in one of the Challenger Packs.
"-Tantei Club is a beloved series in Japan (With cult in the West).

-It has remakes coming out and that will be released internationally, so including her would help this pair of games to be sold.

-Since Melee has a tradition of putting one or two retro characters on the roster, and Ultimate doesn't have one yet.

-She would be the first representative of visual novels, so she would give an original moveset.

-Sakurai is a fan of her series, to the point that Ayumi was seriously considered to appear in Melee. This would be his chance to fulfill that lost dream."
- MusashiX 96 (And I agree with him)

MusashiX 96

Smash Rookie
Moveset and some other ideas.

Ayumi Tachibana Solves the Case!

Series Symbol:

Entrance: Ayumi walks onto the stage. Drop the suitcase, look at the place and say "今 度 は そ の 場所 を 調 べ る と き で す" (Now it's time to investigate the place).

Animation standing still: Ayumi looks around placing her hand on her chin, as if she is thinking. Also she can look a map (Referencing BS Tantei Club).

Animation being helpless in the air: She places her hands to prevent her skirt from rising in front and behind to avoid showing her panties (She may be a great investigator, but she is still a schoolgirl).

Attacks with A: Ayumi will attack using different karate techniques. Because the protagonist mentions knowing karate, it is possible that she had learned somewhere between the second and the first game. This includes charged and aerial attacks.

Grabs: Based on judo and aikido movements (As these martial arts focus more on grabs).

B: Magnifying Glass Burn. This move is borrowed from AngstyGuy. As a good detective, Ayumi will use her magnifying glass; only that he will use it to attack. The beam may last a long time, but it will get weaker the longer it is used. You can move the Stick to make the beam hit closer or further.

Side B: Toxic Coffee. Ayumi will throw a cup of coffee containing that toxin that left the protagonist knocked out. The more damage the opponent has, the longer they will be stunned by the coffee.

Up B: Rope. It is quite difficult to think of a moveset for a character that comes from a world like ours, so here it is a free idea. Ayumi has faced danger multiple times, so this time she is prepared. If she falls, she will throw a rope to hold onto the platform. It doesn't lift, but it hurts. In addition, it can also be used on the ground to attack opponents who are on top of it.

Down B: Evidence. In every visual mystery novel you must collect evidence, and the Tantei Club series is no exception. Like Mr. Game & Watch's Bucket or Villager's Pocket, Ayumi will put any projectile that comes close to her in an evidence bag. If you use this attack again, you can fire that projectile towards the opponent. It does not work with Finals Smash. And like Hero's Down B, she would get a menu to select a captured projectile (She can save some).

Final Smash: The Girl in Back. If Ayumi obtains the Smash Ball and activates it, the hall mirror appears. The mirror breaks and The Girl in Back comes out to attack all the opponents on stage. If the opponent has more than 100% damage, he/she is knocked out.

Taunt 1: Take out a notebook and write while saying "こ れ は こ の ケ ー ス を 解決 す る た め に 重要 で す" (This is important to solve this case).

Taunt 2: Ayumi takes out her mobile phone and says "私 は ど ん な ニ ュ ー ス に つ い て も あ な た に 話 す つ も り で す" (I'll let you know of any news)

Taunt 3: She points in front of her and says "私 は あ な た が こ の 背後 に あ る こ と を 知 っ て い ま す!" (I know you're the one behind this!).

Victory Pose 1: Ayumi looks at a photo and says "洋子 ... こ の 勝利 は あ な た の も の で す" (Yoko ... This victory is yours).

Victory Pose 2: Ayumi is in front of a blackboard with photos and newspaper articles. The protagonist and Shunsuke Utsugi see her pointing to a photo and saying "こ の 場合 は 閉 じ て い ま す!" (This case is closed!).

Victory Pose 3: She strikes a pose while saying "こ れ は 困難 で は な か っ た" (This was not difficult). This fanart shows the potential pose:

Fanart made by Ayumu.

Defeat Pose: Ayumi checks her notebook thinking that she was missing a piece of information.

No Contest Pose: She just claps.

Victory Theme: I'm honestly among three options for her fanfare. I don't know which one fits better:

-Option 1: A fragment of the Research topic (Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kokeisha). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSv2HfXOqx8

-Option 2: A fragment of the theme from the title screen (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QStEoF1lhY4

-Option 3: A fragment of the credits (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3JHz4pvdlI

Alternate colours: silenthunder already showed them yesterday. I know it's strange to refer to anime, but seifuku lends itself quite a bit to that.

Voice: Yuko Minaguchi.

Stage: Ushimitsu High School. (Work in Progress)

She would get her own Codec. If she taunts on this stage, she would talk with the protagonist and/or with Shunsuke Utsugi.

Kirby's hat: A wig that looks like Ayumi's hair.

Easter eggs:

-If Bayonetta wins against Ayumi in a fight, one of her victory poses would get a phrase referencing that discarted idea for Bayonetta 2 (That idea was Bayo using Ayumi's seifuku as a costume, with text-based attacks).

-If Ayumi picks a Beam Sword (Or any sword-like item), she puts herself in a kendo stance (Referencing this image:
).

Update: "Toxic Tea" is now "Toxic Coffee".

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"-Tantei Club is a beloved series in Japan (With cult in the West).

-It has remakes coming out and that will be released internationally, so including her would help this pair of games to be sold.

-Since Melee has a tradition of putting one or two retro characters on the roster, and Ultimate doesn't have one yet.

-She would be the first representative of visual novels, so she would give an original moveset.

-Sakurai is a fan of her series, to the point that Ayumi was seriously considered to appear in Melee. This would be his chance to fulfill that lost dream."
- MusashiX 96 (And I agree with him)
True, true. But the reason Sakurai didn't added Ayumi to Melee was because he thought westerner audiences wouldn't recognize her at all being from a Japanese exclusive franchise. Of course, that's completely different now with Famicom Detective Club finally coming to the west. But even than, I believe Nintendo will whether have some big 3rd party icons or characters from more of their recently popular IPs instead of promoting Ayumi in Smash for the Famicom Detective Club remakes. That's just my fear.

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we can really guess what their priorities are for these last two reveals, and considering how last year went, I doubt they were planning for a huge E3 reveal this year anyways. We can only wait and see, don't let others viewing it as unlikely stop you from supporting any characters you want.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Since the remakes are releasing on the Switch next month i feel this will serve in boosting Ayumi`s chances even more of her being one of the final two DLC in order to promote the remakes. But at the same time i don`t want to end up being disappointed as that is my only fear.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Since the remakes are releasing on the Switch next month i feel this will serve in boosting Ayumi`s chances even more of her being one of the final two DLC in order to promote the remakes. But at the same time i don`t want to end up being disappointed as that is my only fear.
I think the remakes are her main backing point, honestly. Most of the characters chosen in advance like Corrin, Incineroar, and Byleth had a solid half a year to a full year between their game's release and their DLC, rather than just releasing concurrently like some people tend to depict them as. CP11 would probably be around the August-October range, and if we're looking for a promotional first-party to place at the end of the cycle, the FDC remakes are the only games that really fit the timeframe and haven't been sent to Spirit-land.

MusashiX 96

Smash Rookie
Potential song selection for Ushimitsu High School:

-Confession of a Murderer (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shojo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th31DPulh8c
-Investigation (Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kokeisha). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSv2HfXOqx8
-Legend (Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kokeisha). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrlXN1wOxKI
-Staff Roll (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shojo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOsZ2VZZ-4I
-Title Screen (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shojo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QStEoF1lhY4
-Midnight (Hotel Dusk: Room 215). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLbh7AvBTWk
-BS Tantei Club: Yuki ni Kieta Kako Medley.
-Famicom Tantei Club Retro Medley.
-Kieta Kokeisha Medley. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9SaNxBXNg
-Betrayal (Hotel Dusk).
-Hitomi Kawai. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4o7jlfUWg
-Rumor about the Girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMv_PM7ZSM4
-Distant Memory (Another Code: R). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_xqz8s_wx8
-Limits of Truth (Another Code: R). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMZkWGoxtk0
-Light That Doesn't Shine (Another Code: R). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92joL9IAMbU

Edit: Added fogbadge's suggestions.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Potential song selection for Ushimitsu High School:

-Confession of a Murderer (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shojo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th31DPulh8c
-Investigation (Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kokeisha). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSv2HfXOqx8
-Legend (Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kokeisha). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrlXN1wOxKI
-Staff Roll (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shojo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOsZ2VZZ-4I
-Title Screen (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shojo). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QStEoF1lhY4
-Midnight (Hotel Dusk: Room 215). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLbh7AvBTWk
-BS Tantei Club: Yuki ni Kieta Kako Medley.
-Famicom Tantei Club Retro Medley.
-Kieta Kokeisha Medley. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9SaNxBXNg
-Betrayal (Hotel Dusk).
-Hitomi Kawai. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf4o7jlfUWg
-Rumor about the Girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMv_PM7ZSM4
wait you got hotel duck music but not another code?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Top Bottom