• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

amageish

Smash Master
I don't think it's a hard fast rule/De-confirmation. But their odds do drop significantly. Assist trophies do take time(and thus money) to make and if they had any inkling that they might make the character playable in the future, they wouldn't waste their time/money making them an assist trophies. Even between full games it's unlikely, we've had like 40+ trophies and only 3 were ever upgraded. Costumes fair better but even then no one has been upgraded in the same game.

The fact they put Min-Min in the game over Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, or didn't include Rex as a playable fighter shows to me they are really sticking(for now) to the guideline that costumes and ATs are not upgradable in the same game - even if they haven't previously planned ahead for the additional DLC. That being said Sakurai has broken his previously established guidelines before. So there is still a chance it could happen, especially if the DLC goes on longer.

I'm just saying seeing how the amount of characters who have gone straight to being playable far outweigh those who were upgraded from NPC, I rather have Ayumi in the former rather than latter category.
I think this data is biased by the way Smash Bros has focused more on third-parties as time has gone on? Chrom, Isabelle, and K Rool were all DLC Mii Costumes in Sm4sh and were base game in Ultimate.... So, sure, upgrades are statistically uncommon, but they aren't impossible and, honestly, the odds of being upgraded are much higher then the odds of any random game character being included because the pool of random game characters that could be chosen is practically infinite.

The odds purely statistically of being added to Smash Bros are always going to be absurdly low, so 3 out of ~40 ain't nothing to sneeze it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I still see a character being a Mii costume or an Assist Trophy as a good thing. Look where that got Little Mac, Dark Samus, Inkling, K. Rool, Chrom and Isabelle down the road. I know that doesn't seem like too many promotions from one game to another, but it's plenty actually. All those characters got promoted in Ultimate besides Little Mac who got promoted in Smash 4. I see Assist Trophies and Mii costumes as Sakurai and the team acknowledging those characters and has them on theor rader even if they can't get to them until way later down the road
And again, what does that promotion require? People not giving up. And too many people do.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would think Nintendo of America would care about FDC much less than Nintendo Proper so the Fact that NOA is promoting the game is a good sign in my opinion.
they did only confirm it for western release less than a month ago. this is there first opportunity to promote it

The fact they put Min-Min in the game over Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, or didn't include Rex as a playable fighter shows to me they are really sticking(for now) to the guideline that costumes and ATs are not upgradable in the same game - even if they haven't previously planned ahead for the additional DLC. That being said Sakurai has broken his previously established guidelines before. So there is still a chance it could happen, especially if the DLC goes on longer.
thats not the reasons those characters werent included

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I think this data is biased by the way Smash Bros has focused more on third-parties as time has gone on? Chrom, Isabelle, and K Rool were all DLC Mii Costumes in Sm4sh and were base game in Ultimate.... So, sure, upgrades are statistically uncommon, but they aren't impossible and, honestly, the odds of being upgraded are much higher then the odds of any random game character being included because the pool of random game characters that could be chosen is practically infinite.

The odds purely statistically of being added to Smash Bros are always going to be absurdly low, so 3 out of ~40 ain't nothing to sneeze it.
That is still far less than the characters who weren't assist trophies first.

And again, what does that promotion require? People not giving up. And too many people do.
Another reason why I don't want Ayumi as anything other than a Playable fighter.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, if a character already is an Assist Trophy or a Mii costume, they're already on Sakurai and co's rader. Once they got the Smash team's attention and recognition, it won't really matter that much if a certain number of fans give up as it really only matters if Sakurai and co don't and has that character on their catalog of future Smash fighters.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Although I haven't played the game yet, I'll lend my support. The Famicom Detective Club were games that I was not expecting to get localizations which was a pleasant surprise. I've heard nothing but great things about these games and I'm a big fan of detective games. I'm excited to try these games out in May. I love when Nintendo revivies Japan-only series like this.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Might as well add myself to the list. Think I'll try out the remakes when they release. Plus, there's the unique status of having been planned as far back as Smash 64 and still not getting fighter status, which is pretty darn noteworthy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Might as well add myself to the list. Think I'll try out the remakes when they release. Plus, there's the unique status of having been planned as far back as Smash 64 and still not getting fighter status, which is pretty darn noteworthy.
well as far back as melee at least, no one can seem to find the 64 claim

SharkLord

Smash Hero
well as far back as melee at least, no one can seem to find the 64 claim
It's right here

I think it was from Hobo Nichi interview. The company Shigesato Itoi made.
Sakurai is saying he wanted a female character to in but they couldn't find anyone, then the PR officer from Nintendo says that the girl from FDC was in consideration. Iwata asks, what was her specials? PR guy, "show a photo". LOL (everyone)
The interviewer is Yasuhiro Nagata from Hobo Nichi (former chief editor of Famitsu).
Imparted by our resident Japanese Smash fandom expert, A Ayumi Tachibana (Because of course)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don`t know about this but i have a feeling that Ayumi will be the last character of the 2nd Pass.
I only believe that if we are getting a Retro character as DLC. But chances of that are unlikely I think. But I see Ayumi as a top contender to be the next Retro rep whether that's in Ultimate or Smash 6.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Ay uh

I like Ayumi

I mean, I'm not like an active supporter of her, nor is she my preferred retro rep, but I'd vibe with her inclusion

Might stick around here cause even if I'm not really an active supporter, she does seem like a cool and interesting character to discuss and I might get the FDC remakes if only to support more instances of Nintendo diving into their back catalog

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think Ayumi would be a good fit for the last character. I just double checked that Nintendo first announced the remakes in September 2019 which does give Ayumi some leeway to be considered. The last character always seems to be a shill pick and while there are certainly other shill picks they could go with, I could see this happening especially if Nintendo has plans for the future of the series.

Also something of note. Does Famicom Detective Club have a spirit in Smash Ultimate? I could have sworn I saw a spirit for Ayumi a while ago but I couldn't find it earlier today. I know that there were trophies of her in previous games so it would be weird to leave out anything related to the series.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Ayumi would be a good fit for the last character. I just double checked that Nintendo first announced the remakes in September 2019 which does give Ayumi some leeway to be considered. The last character always seems to be a shill pick and while there are certainly other shill picks they could go with, I could see this happening especially if Nintendo has plans for the future of the series.

Also something of note. Does Famicom Detective Club have a spirit in Smash Ultimate? I could have sworn I saw a spirit for Ayumi a while ago but I couldn't find it earlier today. I know that there were trophies of her in previous games so it would be weird to leave out anything related to the series.
Yes
1615248556630.png

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Good to know. Not like it affects her chances or anything, but having zero FDC content would have been a bit sus.

D

Deleted member

Seeing that Spirit takes me back to when I was sleuthing on where that artwork came from. Good times.

While I don't have high hopes for her getting one of the last two remaining spots, as nice as it would be, I'd be just as happy about a Mii costume or even a Spirit event. Anything to promote FDC even more is a win in my book.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
by find the claim i meant they couldnt cite the source
BTW, this is from Nagata's book published in 2000 and the interview was from the time Iwata was still working at HAL.
Yasuhiro Nagata, Let's talk about games (Famitsu books), published in 2000/02 (Melee was first announced in 2001/05 and released in 2001/11).
The portion on the image is from the interview article of Iwata and Sakurai when they were still the president and the chief of information development division of HAL Laboratory.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yasuhiro Nagata, Let's talk about games (Famitsu books), published in 2000/02 (Melee was first announced in 2001/05 and released in 2001/11).
The portion on the image is from the interview article of Iwata and Sakurai when they were still the president and the chief of information development division of HAL Laboratory.
So this is a really really old interview. Did he mention any other characters who were considered, or is Ayumi the only one (Aside from the :ultbowser::ultkingdedede::ultmewtwo::ultmarth: quartet we already know about)?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm pretty excited about Detective Famicom coming to Switch.

I've recently gotten in to VN games by watching some playthroughs of Ace Attorney, but have yet to dip my toes into one.

Looking forward to picking this one up as my first official VN game. Was going to just buy one of the two as I heard you can get them seperately but seems like I don't have that option here in the UK, so both it is!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty excited about Detective Famicom coming to Switch.

I've recently gotten in to VN games by watching some playthroughs of Ace Attorney, but have yet to dip my toes into one.

Looking forward to picking this one up as my first official VN game. Was going to just buy one of the two as I heard you can get them seperately but seems like I don't have that option here in the UK, so both it is!
join us join us

Top Bottom