• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They should port WW HD, TP HD, OOT 3D and MM 3D into one big hopefully NOT time limited collection

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They should port WW HD, TP HD, OOT 3D and MM 3D into one big hopefully NOT time limited collection
Hopefully Doug wasn't lying when he said that this was a one-time thing just for Mario (it depends on what happens to Shadow Dragon once when March 31st hits), but I am hoping that we get N64 Online for NSO, same with GameBoy. So, I don't know what that Third Game would be, I just want these two on Switch.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry for the late reply, I had to go to work.

Anyways, we should all be thanking A Ayumi Tachibana for the info about Ayumi being planned for Smash 64! This was their message on the DLC speculation thread:

I think it was from Hobo Nichi interview. The company Shigesato Itoi made.
Sakurai is saying he wanted a female character to in but they couldn't find anyone, then the PR officer from Nintendo says that the girl from FDC was in consideration. Iwata asks, what was her specials? PR guy, "show a photo". LOL (everyone)
The interviewer is Yasuhiro Nagata from Hobo Nichi (former chief editor of Famitsu).
Lordy, you lot should read the cast list, they're going all out for this one. They got Akio Ohtsuka, they got Tomokazu Sugita...

They even got Shigeru Chiba.

Oh, I just remembered! Will Yuko Minaguchi be reprising her role as Ayumi?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry for the late reply, I had to go to work.

Anyways, we should all be thanking A Ayumi Tachibana for the info about Ayumi being planned for Smash 64! This was their message on the DLC speculation thread:

Oh, I just remembered! Will Yuko Minaguchi be reprising her role as Ayumi?
are we sure thats legit? what were their sources?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With Ayumi originally being planned for Smash 64 and not just Melee, it makes me very hopeful that one day she will make the cut into the Smash roster especially now that her games the Famicom Detective Club games are finally being localized and released in the west. I feel like Ayumi's time for Smash is near as I see her as a prime candidate to be the next Retro rep in either Ultimate or Smash 6.

amageish

Smash Master
Random Thought: Even if Ayumi fails to take the case as a full character in Ultimate, her game being out worldwide plus Sakurai being a noted fan of the series could be a good sign for a Mii Costume? Which, hey, would be better then nothing!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Random Thought: Even if Ayumi fails to take the case as a full character in Ultimate, her game being out worldwide plus Sakurai being a noted fan of the series could be a good sign for a Mii Costume? Which, hey, would be better then nothing!
I would take a Ayumi Mii costume over just a Spirit for sure. I already see us getting the Famicom Detective Club localization as a victory already for her future chances in Smash as I believe she's a lock at this point to get in Smash at some point in the future eventually.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would take a Ayumi Mii costume over just a Spirit for sure. I already see us getting the Famicom Detective Club localization as a victory already for her future chances in Smash as I believe she's a lock at this point to get in Smash at some point in the future eventually.
i admire your optimism

Oddball

Smash Lord
I would take a Ayumi Mii costume over just a Spirit for sure
Even if it's just as a costume, at least it would be some form of playable Ayumi. There just isn't any mii outfits right now that can even come close to matching her look.

(Not to mention if we do get an Ayumi costume, there are a lot of other characters you can make with a nice schoolgirl suit.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I'm doing my part to spread the word for the FDC remakes. I already got one of my workmates and a streamer I follow interested in them, so I'll see how that goes.

It's playable character or bust for me. Costume and Assist Trophies tend to be Smash's "FriendZone". Once in it's really really hard to get out. I don't want Ayumi to share the same fate as Ashley.
I see it as more akin to a Zonk. Sure, getting zonked isn't what you want, but sometimes you get a Zonk Redemption later on.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I see it as more akin to a Zonk. Sure, getting zonked isn't what you want, but sometimes you get a Zonk Redemption later on.
It requires a lot of goddamn luck. Too many people are submissive to ATs and don't keep up demanding them, creating the illusion that absolutely no one likes these characters when it's time to choose characters for the next game/DLC pass. And yes, I said DLC pass because I'm not going to delude myself into thinking ATs are held up with spaghetti code that requires them to edit 100+ stages.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would be much better off trying to push for a Mario game in which Waluigi isn't a designated fall guy, or a Golden Sun sequel to get Camelot out of sports game purgatory, at least then some movement would happen to get the Smash staff motivated enough.

At least Famicom Detective Club is finally getting something in the West for once, so if that's the one determining factor that'll get Ayumi in Smash, then I'll shell out for the remakes and I'm not about to let that be ignored.

Until then, I've said all that I needed to, so I'll stop wasting people's time in this thread and I'll be off. :deathstare:

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Given that the potential pool for Smash Bros is all of video games, I don't think having only had a handful of upgrades from ATs or Costumes is inherently a sign they're inescapable long-term. It's just that characters tend to need some reason to be added, even if that reason is retro throwbacking or nostalgia or trying to add more NPC characters, so characters that were passed up once may not get a second wind if nothing has changed.... Which things have for Ayumi! So that's nice!

Though, yeah, socially, once you are in Smash in some form, people do tend to give up on discussing that character, which is unfortunate.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Though, yeah, socially, once you are in Smash in some form, people do tend to give up on discussing that character, which is unfortunate.
I still don't know how Dark Samus was able to procure enough votes to even be an echo fighter, considering how too many people stop wanting a character once they have some form of representation (with some exceptions), she's not Ridley, and we assumed the ballot was for Smash 4 DLC.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I still don't know how Dark Samus was able to procure enough votes to even be an echo fighter, considering how too many people stop wanting a character once they have some form of representation (with some exceptions), she's not Ridley, and we assumed the ballot was for Smash 4 DLC.
I imagine Dark Samus was less ballot and more... "We're doing Echo Fighters and Metroid could use a bit of TLC."

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, I'm doing my part to spread the word for the FDC remakes. I already got one of my workmates and a streamer I follow interested in them, so I'll see how that goes.

if i ask what wayne bradey is up to in that pic will i regret it?

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ayumi get's a shoutout from Nintendo themselves! I am getting pleasant vibes from this.

The Protagonist and FDC itself also get recognition.

EDIT: Normally I don't buy into the idea that Nintendo releases characters to coincide With the launch of a new game, that line of reasoning has fooled ALOT of people including myself who got burned really bad when Ashley wasn't announced with WarioWare Gold.

But the fact that Sakurai said Arthur and Monster Hunter Costumes were announced to celebrate the release of the new Ghouls and Ghosts and Monster Hunter Games tells me they may be more open to such a strategy than they may have before.

So I think there is a possibility they might announce Ayumi within 2-3 months of the Release of the FDC games. Especially since these games are being released around E3 season. And Nintendo mildly hyping up FDC and Ayumi on twitter leads me to believe they might be dipping their toes in the water similar to what they did with hero and advertising the new DQ game before his arrival in smash.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It requires a lot of goddamn luck. Too many people are submissive to ATs and don't keep up demanding them, creating the illusion that absolutely no one likes these characters when it's time to choose characters for the next game/DLC pass. And yes, I said DLC pass because I'm not going to delude myself into thinking ATs are held up with spaghetti code that requires them to edit 100+ stages.
I still see a character being a Mii costume or an Assist Trophy as a good thing. Look where that got Little Mac, Dark Samus, Inkling, K. Rool, Chrom and Isabelle down the road. I know that doesn't seem like too many promotions from one game to another, but it's plenty actually. All those characters got promoted in Ultimate besides Little Mac who got promoted in Smash 4. I see Assist Trophies and Mii costumes as Sakurai and the team acknowledging those characters and has them on theor rader even if they can't get to them until way later down the road.

Metroid fans. They didn't care if Dark Samus was Assist Trophy or Ridley was a stage hazard at the time, they just really, REALLY wanted another Metroid rep whether if it was Dark Samus or Ridley. I believe a lot of the Ridley fans that saw his stage hazard thought he was deconfirmed so they voted for Dark Samus instead when Smash Ballot came around. If they couldn't have Ridley, they would take Dark Samus. But that's my conspiracy theory.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I still see a character being a Mii costume or an Assist Trophy as a good thing. Look where that got Little Mac, Dark Samus, Inkling, K. Rool, Chrom and Isabelle down the road. I know that doesn't seem like too many promotions from one game to another, but it's plenty actually. All those characters got promoted in Ultimate besides Little Mac who got promoted in Smash 4. I see Assist Trophies and Mii costumes as Sakurai and the team acknowledging those characters and has them on theor rader even if they can't get to them until way later down the road.

Metroid fans. They didn't care if Dark Samus was Assist Trophy or Ridley was a stage hazard at the time, they just really, REALLY wanted another Metroid rep whether if it was Dark Samus or Ridley. I believe a lot of the Ridley fans that saw his stage hazard thought he was deconfirmed so they voted for Dark Samus instead when Smash Ballot came around. If they couldn't have Ridley, they would take Dark Samus. But that's my conspiracy theory.
Actually those are exceptions not the rule. Its clear that with few exceptions Costumes and especially Trophies are practically death sentences for characters. The whole reason they exist at all is because sakurai has no intention on putting them in game. Intentions change but very rarely.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Actually those are exceptions not the rule. Its clear that with few exceptions Costumes and especially Trophies are practically death sentences for characters. The whole reason they exist at all is because sakurai has no intention on putting them in game. Intentions change but very rarely.
Sakurai has never confirmed or not if an Assist Trophy or a Mii costume could get promoted or not in the same game. And until he says something, I don't think it's as solid of a deconfirmation as the community wants to believe.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has never confirmed or not if an Assist Trophy or a Mii costume could get promoted or not in the same game. And until he says something, I don't think it's as solid of a deconfirmation as the community wants to believe.
I don't think it's a hard fast rule/De-confirmation. But their odds do drop significantly. Assist trophies do take time(and thus money) to make and if they had any inkling that they might make the character playable in the future, they wouldn't waste their time/money making them an assist trophies. Even between full games it's unlikely, we've had like 40+ trophies and only 3 were ever upgraded. Costumes fair better but even then no one has been upgraded in the same game.

The fact they put Min-Min in the game over Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, or didn't include Rex as a playable fighter shows to me they are really sticking(for now) to the guideline that costumes and ATs are not upgradable in the same game - even if they haven't previously planned ahead for the additional DLC. That being said Sakurai has broken his previously established guidelines before. So there is still a chance it could happen, especially if the DLC goes on longer.

I'm just saying seeing how the amount of characters who have gone straight to being playable far outweigh those who were upgraded from NPC, I rather have Ayumi in the former rather than latter category.

Last edited:
Top Bottom