• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not surprising given the radio silence. Still, what could be taking so long? I can't imagine there being development problems for a visual novel...
Maybe they're delaying on releasing the game because they're going to promote it alongside announcing Ayumi Tachibana in Smash. :grinch:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not surprising given the radio silence. Still, what could be taking so long? I can't imagine there being development problems for a visual novel...
The tinfoil hat-wearer in me says that Ayumi might be the last character in the pass, because every roster tends to have a vintage character at the end (or at least be one of the final characters), alongside a Western release for the remakes (since Sak makes it a point to include characters whose series got into the West). We'll have to see though.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The tinfoil hat-wearer in me says that Ayumi might be the last character in the pass, because every roster tends to have a vintage character at the end (or at least be one of the final characters), alongside a Western release for the remakes (since Sak makes it a point to include characters whose series got into the West). We'll have to see though.
Ayumi being this game's final newcomer and Retro rep would make me very happy. :awesome:

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, MAGES did also announce Phantom Breaker: Omnia today, which is seeing a western release when the original game didn't get one... So, uh, that is maybe a good sign for them localizing more things? Though I assume Nintendo would hold the actual decision-making power here... Also Phantom Breaker has the power of Steiins;Gate and Chaos;Head cameos on its side for bonus brand recognition...

Anyway, it's good to have any news on the game, even if its just a delay... I guess this technically continues Nintendo's weekly news drops too!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
well between, extensive programming, model building, texturing, there's plenty to go wrong
Does MAGES have a history of things going poorly during production? The graphics swap mode doesn't seem that much more complicated than Steins;Gate's 8-bit mode.

Besides, Ninty would have said something if the delay was related to technical issues. Well, besides "it's Cov, lel".

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
There's gonna be 3D models?
I honestly don't know... Have we seen any gameplay outside of CG scenes? Like, are there reoccuring sprites or models used for regular dialogue?

Does MAGES have a history of things going poorly during production? The graphics swap mode doesn't seem that much more complicated than Steins;Gate's 8-bit mode.

Besides, Ninty would have said something if the delay was related to technical issues.
I don't believe MAGES is known for delays, in Japan at least...

That said, 8-bit mode? Does that exist in Steins;Gate? As the 8-bit game that came with the Switch version of Elite is its own thing... with its own take on the story... without save states for max retro feel... so I died like 30 minutes into it... and would have had to redo the first 30 minutes... and never went back...

In retrospect, maybe should have gone for the PS4 version with Linear Bounded Phenogram...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't believe MAGES is known for delays, in Japan at least...

That said, 8-bit mode? Does that exist in Steins;Gate? As the 8-bit game that came with the Switch version of Elite is its own thing... with its own take on the story... without save states for max retro feel... so I died like 30 minutes into it... and would have had to redo the first 30 minutes... and never went back...

In retrospect, maybe should have gone for the PS4 version with Linear Bounded Phenogram...
Nah, I don't believe S;G had an 8-bit mode before that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay, something doesn't add up here.

MAGES, a developer that's known for being pretty good at making or remaking 2D-art visual novels (to the point that it's around 80% of their output), yet suddenly has trouble remaking a pair of old adventure visual novels from the 80s.
anything can go wrong, especially in circumstances where youre having to work in an unusual manner

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The most plausible reason I can think of is that they originally were going to announce the release date at the E3-period general Direct, but with E3 being nuked, they had to restructure their plans entirely and figure out what to do.

Not really sure if FDC would have been an E3-period Direct-worthy kind of announcement though...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The most plausible reason I can think of is that they originally were going to announce the release date at the E3-period general Direct, but with E3 being nuked, they had to restructure their plans entirely and figure out what to do.

Not really sure if FDC would have been an E3-period Direct-worthy kind of announcement though...
i think the most plausible reason is that theres not a thing that hasnt been affected by the pandemic and frankly were lucky to be getting anything this year

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, Bravely Default 2 (which is Nintendo-published) has barely been affected and allegedly getting an announcement soon (presumably on this month's Partners), so idk. 🤷‍♂️

We don't remotely have enough evidence to solve it either way, so all we can do is wait and see what happens next year.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Meanwhile, Bravely Default 2 (which is Nintendo-published) has barely been affected and allegedly getting an announcement soon (presumably on this month's Partners), so idk. 🤷‍♂️

We don't remotely have enough evidence to solve it either way, so all we can do is wait and see what happens next year.
different teams will have been affected differently, we have no idea whats been happening to them

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
well one its been a while since i saw the trailer and two doing it 2d isnt any easier
I mean, it kinda is.

Like, if all they're doing is making new 2D images and maybe rewriting some dialogue, there's not much that can go wrong, especially not "delay-worthy" wrong. We aren't talking about a complex engine or anything.

So unless the game was announced super early in its development, something could be up. Like them deciding they're gonna localize it

amageish

Smash Master
I'm definitely a bit surprised its been delayed, though the fact that we've seen so little of it since its reveal could suggest that they weren't super on track for 2020 in the first place, even pre-pandemic... or it's just not a priority, I suppose.

Localization would be amaaaaaazing though! I do wonder if Nintendo would do the localization themselves or if they'd call up Spike Chunsoft, given their usual role in localizing/releasing MAGES games in the west....

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, it kinda is.

Like, if all they're doing is making new 2D images and maybe rewriting some dialogue, there's not much that can go wrong, especially not "delay-worthy" wrong. We aren't talking about a complex engine or anything.

So unless the game was announced super early in its development, something could be up. Like them deciding they're gonna localize it
what i meant was theres just as many things that could go wrong with both of them

also i did 2d animation and 3d modelling at uni trust me it was not easier

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm sure there's a reason why there's so little that's been said about the FDC remakes' situation, I just don't think technical issues would be the obvious reason. Mages seems to know what they've been doing until now, so unless Nintendo's breathing down their necks, it doesn't seem like they'd run into any big programming snags they wouldn't be able to handle.

Granted, Nintendo is secretive in general, too.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure there's a reason why there's so little that's been said about the FDC remakes' situation, I just don't think technical issues would be the obvious reason. Mages seems to know what they've been doing until now, so unless Nintendo's breathing down their necks, it doesn't seem like they'd run into any big programming snags they wouldn't be able to handle.

Granted, Nintendo is secretive in general, too.
well there are one or two grim possibilities as well

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The only reason left I can think of is trying to choose the right time to release the remakes without them getting ignored by consumers in favor of Ninty's bigger game releases (even though there clearly wasn't going to be much of any left at all left for this year).
so you dont think the global health pandemic could have affected it?

amageish

Smash Master
What are the chances part of the reason they're delaying the remakes is due to them making a last minute decision to localize it and bring it over to the west?
If that was the case, is there any reason in hiding it though? Why not just... say that if it was happening...

I honestly think they may have jumped the gun on the announcement last year and covid has just slowed things down even more...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If that was the case, is there any reason in hiding it though? Why not just... say that if it was happening...

I honestly think they may have jumped the gun on the announcement last year and covid has just slowed things down even more...
Lately, Nintendo has love keeping us all in the dark so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't say anything until they announce anymore news on development of the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, today's Partner Showcase made me realize something.

Seeing as Bravely Default II was also going to be released in 2020 like the FDC remakes and that got delayed to next year, it's most likely that the FDC remakes actually have already been completed for a while, but Nintendo's release schedule was messed up by real-life events to the point that they were moved to a different date.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the FDC remakes were going to drop on this October.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I found another nice move set for Ayumi.

This hasn't been posted yet, has it?

Oddball

Smash Lord
Here's a little bit more Ayumi goodness for you, since the topic hasn't been that active in a while.

detective face.png

famicom detective.png

detetive mirror.jpg

Ayumi cute.jpg

And here is a really spiffy musical remix I found of the Detective Club 2 theme.

and music from The Missing Heir

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its funny to think of how different things could have been for ayumi. sakurai didnt included her in melee cause she was japan exclusive but he included marth and roy who were also exclusive. although if i recall correctly the original plan was for them to only be in japanese version of melee but there were popular in a demo of the game that was shown in america and were decided to be kept in. you gotta wonder if she had gotta that far in development if she would have been the same.

mind you im having trouble double checking the source of that story so im not sure its true

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Actually, if I recall correctly, Roy and Marth were added mainly to promote FE which was coming to the West around that time.
its funny to think of how different things could have been for ayumi
Well, she'd be in Ultimate if she'd made it into Melee for starters. Who knows? Her series might've gotten popular enough to even sell to the West like Ace Attorney.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Actually, if I recall correctly, Roy and Marth were added mainly to promote FE which was coming to the West around that time.
was it though? sure roy's game as listed as coming soon but the first one to actually come outside of japan was the prequel to roy's game the one with his dad and lyn

Top Bottom