• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i was think maybe they didnt think there was a market for it or something. we are on different pages
That could be the case. That was the reason Sakurai decided in the end not to add Ayumi to Melee because he feared not many westerners wouldn't recognize her.

But yeah, I never played the Famicom Detective Club games but would love to though. I'll import the remake when it comes out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That could be the case. That was the reason Sakurai decided in the end not to add Ayumi to Melee because he feared not many westerners wouldn't recognize her.

But yeah, I never played the Famicom Detective Club games but would love to though. I'll import the remake when it comes out.
yeah it’d be great to try it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so, Panel de Pon is finally coming in English to the SNES service. think FDC has a shot?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Visual novels are still pretty niche outside of Japan, more or less. Heck, the Phoenix Wright series can only manage digital releases in the West right now.

At least PdP finally getting a release after all this time shows that they're willing to relent on their comfort zone a bit.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Visual novels are still pretty niche outside of Japan, more or less. Heck, the Phoenix Wright series can only manage digital releases in the West right now.

At least PdP finally getting a release after all this time shows that they're willing to relent on their comfort zone a bit.
danganronpa and several other VNs have physical releases in the west, and sizeable fanbases. they're not as obscure as you think anymore. YU-NO (a remastered VN originally from the 90's, minus the eroge scenes) is on the eShop and it seems to be a hit. hell, girls' dating sims/otome are promoted like crazy on mobile devices

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
danganronpa and several other VNs have physical releases in the west, and sizeable fanbases. they're not as obscure as you think anymore. YU-NO (a remastered VN originally from the 90's, minus the eroge scenes) is on the eShop and it seems to be a hit. hell, girls' dating sims/otome are promoted like crazy on mobile devices
Yeah, that is helpful, though we can only wait and see what, if anything, will be done for FDC in regards to this.

Oddball

Smash Lord
It's like I always wonder, considering how popular Smash Bros. is these days, I really feel like the series has just enough (or maybe even MORE than enough) clout to get away with adding 1-2 Japan-prominent characters, with Ayumi and Takamaru fitting that criteria perfectly, what with their being planned for various Smash games and all.
At this point, I feel Smash could add characters from games that died in the concept art stage and still get away with it.

D

Deleted member

Still hoping the new game gets released in the West.

With the success of Sakura Wars PS4 I do feel positive about It, since It seems the visual novel market is thankfully starting to grow overseas.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still hoping the new game gets released in the West.

With the success of Sakura Wars PS4 I do feel positive about It, since It seems the visual novel market is thankfully starting to grow overseas.
There’s also last year’s AI: The Somnium Files which was a phenomenal success. I have it in my Switch digital library but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Will do soon

D

Deleted member

There’s also last year’s AI: The Somnium Files which was a phenomenal success. I have it in my Switch digital library but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Will do soon
May give It a try when I get the chance too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
At this point, I feel Smash could add characters from games that died in the concept art stage and still get away with it.
While Shiek isn't technically a character who died off in the conspect stages, her design from Brawl/Smash 4/Ultimate is a unused conspect design from Twilight Princess. Shiek was originally intended to be in that game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While Shiek isn't technically a character who died off in the conspect stages, her design from Brawl/Smash 4/Ultimate is a unused conspect design from Twilight Princess. Shiek was originally intended to be in that game.
no she wasnt, her design was made during the development of TP for brawl but she was never intended to be in it. if you look on the dojo youll notice they never said she was meant to be in it, people just assumed but then when hyrule historia came out it revealed that it was made for smash

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
no she wasnt, her design was made during the development of TP for brawl but she was never intended to be in it. if you look on the dojo youll notice they never said she was meant to be in it, people just assumed but then when hyrule historia came out it revealed that it was made for smash
Okay than. I thought I heard the opposite.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Now that Min Min is in and the Spirit fan rule is dead, Ayumi is back on the table baby. And with the Famicom Detective Club remake maybe coming out this year, our girl has a decent chance.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
do you think an argument could be made that ayumi is the spiritual ancestor of ashley mizuik robbins?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 278206
This girl.

She had a trophy in one of the past Smash games.
She starred in some mystery adventure games.

I guess there's some similarity, but not much.
the star of the two another code visual novel games who is also a school girl who helped sole a murder. not just the trophy in brawl but a spirit in ultimate. despite her international release it think shes less known than ayumi

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, man! This looks great! Also loving the SSF2 mock-up of Ayumi there.

do you think an argument could be made that ayumi is the spiritual ancestor of ashley mizuik robbins?
Ehh... Spiritual SUCCESSOR, maybe. But I doubt they're related.
View attachment 278206
This girl.

She had a trophy in one of the past Smash games.
She starred in some mystery adventure games.

I guess there's some similarity, but not much.
Yeah, Ashley had a trophy in Brawl.

the star of the two another code visual novel games who is also a school girl who helped sole a murder. not just the trophy in brawl but a spirit in ultimate. despite her international release it think shes less known than ayumi
Sadly, yeah. I'd agree that Ashley (despite debuting YEARS after Ayumi) is more obscure than even her. Still, it's nice to see Nintendo acknowledging her via Smash Bros. Still, I wonder if Ashley Mizuki Robbins could work as an AT or playable character in Smash. I mean, we can come up with ideas for Ayumi, so...

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Yeah, Ashley had a trophy in Brawl.
Thanks. I couldn't remember where she appeared, only that she had.

Now that I think about it a little bit more, I can easily see Ashley and Ayumi appearing in a game together. The question is, which of the two is the "strange foreign girl."

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Breaks my heart because I adore the Another Code games and the Hotel Dusk games...we really were spoiled with amazing adventure games on the DS.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Thanks. I couldn't remember where she appeared, only that she had.

Now that I think about it a little bit more, I can easily see Ashley and Ayumi appearing in a game together. The question is, which of the two is the "strange foreign girl."
depends where the game is set

It doesn't help that Cing, the studio who made Ashley Robbins' game has...been bankrupted for years now.
and its sorely missed

Breaks my heart because I adore the Another Code games and the Hotel Dusk games...we really were spoiled with amazing adventure games on the DS.
and to think they were planning to have the two eventually meet

Glad to see that CiNG isn't really forgotten here...
the first support thread i made on this site was for ashley

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hmm... good question. Actually, now that you mention it... what was Ashley's supposed ethnicity again? From what I can remember, she's not ENTIRELY Japanese...

It doesn't help that Cing, the studio who made Ashley Robbins' game has...been bankrupted for years now.
Wait, how long has it been? I know CiNG went bankrupt, but I forget the details...

We really were.

Glad to see that CiNG isn't really forgotten here...
And this is why I hold a great deal of respect towards Smash Bros. for acknowledging most of Nintendo's history. Even if they don't have new games, we can count on Smash Bros. to throw even the most obscure of folks a bone (Ashley and Kyle included).

and to think they were planning to have the two eventually meet
Wait, really? There was a crossover game planned between the two?

the first support thread i made on this site was for ashley
I think I've come across it at one point... Hold on, for Brawl or Smash 4?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm... good question. Actually, now that you mention it... what was Ashley's supposed ethnicity again? From what I can remember, she's not ENTIRELY Japanese...
japanese-american

Wait, really? There was a crossover game planned between the two?
someone at cing once said that they planned to have the two of them meet one day dont know any details beyond that

I think I've come across it at one point... Hold on, for Brawl or Smash 4?
smash 4, i believe i joined not after the smash 4 section first opened

smashkirby

Smash Hero
japanese-american
Ah, thank you. Her mom is Japanese and her dad is American, right?

someone at cing once said that they planned to have the two of them meet one day dont know any details beyond that
Really? Huh, I really wonder how that would have played out. Wait a minute... I thought Another Code and Hotel Dusk take place in totally different time periods...?

smash 4, i believe i joined not after the smash 4 section first opened
Ah, I see. Actually, I think I joined the support thread there.

Top Bottom