• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
So, when is the Famicom Detective Club remake coming out?
As no information has changed since the Nintendo Direct announcement, the most recent issue of Nintendo Dream has the release date as 2020 TBA, highlighted in red.

D69E5A68-B0CB-4FDD-BC29-C7C68308BB46.jpeg

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
As no information has changed since the Nintendo Direct announcement, the most recent issue of Nintendo Dream has the release date as 2020 TBA, highlighted in red.

View attachment 243192
Does that confirm that it's going to be two individual releases, rather than a combined remake, then? I wonder if they'll release simultaneously.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I was slightly mistaken in an earlier post. While the most recent issue of Nintendo Dream does not have any new information on the remakes, Famicom Detective Club does make an appearance in their anticipated game poll.

89C5AB79-5E7D-438D-B209-7549B2A63738.jpeg

As you can see, highlighted in blue, the remake(s) rank #12, totalling 3.3% of the vote and are new to the list this issue. Of course, Pokémon leads the pack with over 43% of readers listing it as their most wanted game. An interesting note is that the popular, formerly Japanese-exclusive, Seiken no Densetu 3 remake is only .1% higher on this list. We should keep an eye on how these two particular games fare later on after the more heavily anticipated titles release. Additionally, we get a snapshot of already-seen footage with a caption.

50FDA1EC-04E9-4424-A046-995941BCE789.jpeg

The caption reads “It looks fun to look for parts that are arranged in a modern way, such as props.” As already said, this screenshot is based on already-previewed gameplay. The options, similar to the original game, read:
聞く Listen/Ask
取る Take
調べる Examine
思い出す Recall
捜査やめる Stop Investigating

I'll continue covering any new information that pops up here in Japan.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I was slightly mistaken in an earlier post. While the most recent issue of Nintendo Dream does not have any new information on the remakes, Famicom Detective Club does make an appearance in their anticipated game poll.

View attachment 243207

As you can see, highlighted in blue, the remake(s) rank #12, totalling 3.3% of the vote and are new to the list this issue. Of course, Pokémon leads the pack with over 43% of readers listing it as their most wanted game. An interesting note is that the popular, formerly Japanese-exclusive, Seiken no Densetu 3 remake is only .1% higher on this list. We should keep an eye on how these two particular games fare later on after the more heavily anticipated titles release. Additionally, we get a snapshot of already-seen footage with a caption.

View attachment 243256

The caption reads “It looks fun to look for parts that are arranged in a modern way, such as props.” As already said, this screenshot is based on already-previewed gameplay. The options, similar to the original game, read:
聞く Listen/Ask
取る Take
調べる Examine
思い出す Recall
捜査やめる Stop Investigating

I'll continue covering any new information that pops up here in Japan.

This is very interesting, thanks for the information. You did a great job reporting on this. 12th most anticipated game in Japan really makes a difference. Shows that an old classic that was beloved in the past still has some excitement left in it.

2020 sounds like a good date regardless. We can only hope for more news.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I transcribed and interpreted the announcement trailer for the September Nintendo Direct. I also finished filming and editing "Famicom Detective Club – Nintendo Switch Remake Coming to the West? 「ファミコン探偵倶楽部」外国の発売?"

In the video, I present my localized announcement trailer with an English over-dub, additional English subtitles, and screen translations. I also provide supplementary material from various Japanese publications as well as development details about the original games. Lastly, I explore topics such as a western release, remake development information and Japanese reactions. I do not discuss the topic of Ayumi's potential inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, however, and only mention it as a point of potential future discussion, instead opting to promote the current remakes of the game.

The video is partially in Japanese, though this is primarily for the intro of the video. Original gameplay and live demonstration using a Famicom Disk System as well as the GBA remakes is given. Brief attention is given to the Satellaview. The video will be uploaded within a few days.

Trailer transcription and interpretation:
こんにちは。任天堂の坂本です。
Hello everyone. I’m Sakamoto from Nintendo.

皆さんはファミリーコンピュータディスコシステムのゲームとして、1988年に発売されたアドベンチャーゲーム、「ファミコン探偵倶楽部」をご存知でしょうか。
You may know of a certain adventure game released on the Famicom Disk System in 1988. That’s right – Famicom Detective Club.

テキストアドベンチャーゲームの仕組を使ってインタラクティブな映画のような新しいアドベンチャーゲームは作りたいと思って作ったゲームです。
At the time, we wanted to create a new adventure game, so we used text adventure game mechanics to create a visual novel-like game.

その「ファミコン探偵倶楽部」2作品のリメイクを任天堂スイッチをソフトとして発売します。
We are excited to announce the two Famicom Detective Club games are being remade for the Nintendo Switch.

原作のテイストを損なうことなく、現在のアドベンチャーゲームとしてお楽しみいただけるファミコン探偵倶楽部なく今回のコンセプトです。
Our concept is to create an enjoyable, modern adventure game with the taste of the original.

アドベンチャーゲームに定評のあるMAGESさんと私そして、当時のメンバーを含む任天堂スタッフとが、がっつりタッグを組んで鋭意開発中です。
MAGES, with their reputation for developing adventure games, and Nintendo staff, including members from the original development team, as well as myself, are working together on this project.

台詞はなんとフルボイスです。
In-game dialogue will be fully voiced.

MAGESさんというフィルターを通して最終的にどんな「ファミコン探偵倶楽部」に仕上がるのか、どうぞご期待ください。
You can expect the kind of quality MAGES is known for when Famicom Detective Club is finally released.

「ファミコン探偵倶楽部消えた後継者」と「ファミコン探偵倶楽部うしろに立つ少女」は2020年いずれも発売予定です。
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir and Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Standing in the Back will be released sometime in 2020.

Here's the most lame preview I can give of my upcoming video analysis of the state of Famicom Detective Club.

Below is the original end card of the trailer...
ORIGINAL.png

..and this is my localized copy of the end card.
NEW.png

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I transcribed and interpreted the announcement trailer for the September Nintendo Direct. I also finished filming and editing "Famicom Detective Club – Nintendo Switch Remake Coming to the West? 「ファミコン探偵倶楽部」外国の発売?"

In the video, I present my localized announcement trailer with an English over-dub, additional English subtitles, and screen translations. I also provide supplementary material from various Japanese publications as well as development details about the original games. Lastly, I explore topics such as a western release, remake development information and Japanese reactions. I do not discuss the topic of Ayumi's potential inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, however, and only mention it as a point of potential future discussion, instead opting to promote the current remakes of the game.

The video is partially in Japanese, though this is primarily for the intro of the video. Original gameplay and live demonstration using a Famicom Disk System as well as the GBA remakes is given. Brief attention is given to the Satellaview. The video will be uploaded within a few days.

Trailer transcription and interpretation:
こんにちは。任天堂の坂本です。
Hello everyone. I’m Sakamoto from Nintendo.

皆さんはファミリーコンピュータディスコシステムのゲームとして、1988年に発売されたアドベンチャーゲーム、「ファミコン探偵倶楽部」をご存知でしょうか。
You may know of a certain adventure game released on the Famicom Disk System in 1988. That’s right – Famicom Detective Club.

テキストアドベンチャーゲームの仕組を使ってインタラクティブな映画のような新しいアドベンチャーゲームは作りたいと思って作ったゲームです。
At the time, we wanted to create a new adventure game, so we used text adventure game mechanics to create a visual novel-like game.

その「ファミコン探偵倶楽部」2作品のリメイクを任天堂スイッチをソフトとして発売します。
We are excited to announce the two Famicom Detective Club games are being remade for the Nintendo Switch.

原作のテイストを損なうことなく、現在のアドベンチャーゲームとしてお楽しみいただけるファミコン探偵倶楽部なく今回のコンセプトです。
Our concept is to create an enjoyable, modern adventure game with the taste of the original.

アドベンチャーゲームに定評のあるMAGESさんと私そして、当時のメンバーを含む任天堂スタッフとが、がっつりタッグを組んで鋭意開発中です。
MAGES, with their reputation for developing adventure games, and Nintendo staff, including members from the original development team, as well as myself, are working together on this project.

台詞はなんとフルボイスです。
In-game dialogue will be fully voiced.

MAGESさんというフィルターを通して最終的にどんな「ファミコン探偵倶楽部」に仕上がるのか、どうぞご期待ください。
You can expect the kind of quality MAGES is known for when Famicom Detective Club is finally released.

「ファミコン探偵倶楽部消えた後継者」と「ファミコン探偵倶楽部うしろに立つ少女」は2020年いずれも発売予定です。
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir and Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Standing in the Back will be released sometime in 2020.

Here's the most lame preview I can give of my upcoming video analysis of the state of Famicom Detective Club.

Below is the original end card of the trailer...
View attachment 243706

..and this is my localized copy of the end card.
View attachment 243705

Not bad, I am looking forward to the final video.

It is looking like one of the most ambitious FDC related videos out there.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I have the video rendering now. Will be up soon. Easily the most difficult part was creating the mask and animating the birds as well as the mist in the background for the penultimate shot. It took an entire day of editing for that alone. I'll make another post when the video has uploaded, so please look forward to it soon.

This is the original penultimate shot.
Not Fun.png

This is my pre-mask shot (unfinished), with the birds filtered out.
FINAL.png

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I have the video rendering now. Will be up soon. Easily the most difficult part was creating the mask and animating the birds as well as the mist in the background for the penultimate shot. It took an entire day of editing for that alone. I'll make another post when the video has uploaded, so please look forward to it soon.

This is the original penultimate shot.
View attachment 243895

This is my pre-mask shot (unfinished), with the birds filtered out.
View attachment 243894
Woah, looking beautiful with that editing. It looks close to official.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Thank you for your patience everyone. Last minute, I decided to change the localization style of "Famicom Detective Club" to "Nintendo Detective Club," as after careful consideration, I believe that is how it would truly be localized. Until this alteration has been made across the more extensive video, I invite you to watch my localized trailer for Famicom Detective Club [Nintendo Direct 2019.9.5]. Please understand, this is my first rendered draft, and so there may be some other alterations in the final version. Please enjoy.

FamicomDisk FamicomDisk BZocky BZocky Flyboy Flyboy fogbadge fogbadge smashkirby smashkirby GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan R RetrogamerMax Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy ninjahmos ninjahmos Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura @JDCabrera

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Thank you for your patience everyone. Last minute, I decided to change the localization style of "Famicom Detective Club" to "Nintendo Detective Club," as after careful consideration, I believe that is how it would truly be localized. Until this alteration has been made across the more extensive video, I invite you to watch my localized trailer for Famicom Detective Club [Nintendo Direct 2019.9.5]. Please understand, this is my first rendered draft, and so there may be some other alterations in the final version. Please enjoy.

FamicomDisk FamicomDisk BZocky BZocky Flyboy Flyboy fogbadge fogbadge smashkirby smashkirby GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan R RetrogamerMax Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy ninjahmos ninjahmos Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura @JDCabrera

You did excellent.

It looks close to official and seemed like something Nintendo of America would do. I could just watch this all day.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Quick sidenote, the original trailer actually has a typo. If you look closely, this list is denoted as "DETECTIVE COMMAMD."

1572942463817.png

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Quick sidenote, the original trailer actually has a typo. If you look closely, this list is denoted as "DETECTIVE COMMAMD."

View attachment 245191
Yikes. I hope Nintendo fixes that up before release. That looks bad.
Nah, Commamd is actually just the protagonist's new canon name. ;) It's Detective Commamd!

On a serious note, nicely done with that trailer, Sephazon Sephazon ! The fact that you went the extra mile and even translated the scenes from the original versions in editing was a very nice touch. It's already excellent, so I can't wait for the final version!

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
It’d be awesome if this game were released in the West...

Well, a guy can dream.

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
https://twitter.com/Sephazon/status/1192832097007751168

This is the final version of my trailer localization. The full video will be out soon.
Localization "Patch" Notes:
  • Transcribed, translated and interpreted presentation by Mr. Sakamoto.
  • Dubbed the presentation by Mr. Sakamoto in English.
  • Translated and recreated the title screen from the original game.
  • Translated and interpreted Japanese in-game dialogue from the original game in three scenes.
  • Translated and interpreted Japanese in-game dialogue and menu options from the remake in two scenes.
  • Fixed typo in original trailer listing “DETECTIVE COMMAND” as “DETECTIVE COMMAMD.”
  • Recreated the ending screen with the dates.
  • Translated and interpreted the copyright screen at the end of the video.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So... what do you all think about Sakurai pretty much confirming more characters (than who we expect, at least) have a chance?

Sorry, my PC acted up. Could a mod or someone delete these extra messages?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So... what do you all think about Sakurai pretty much confirming more characters (than who we expect, at least) have a chance?

Sorry, my PC acted up. Could a mod or someone delete this extra post?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I am with fogbadge, it is a mixed bag.

I still have my doubts on us getting any retros as DLC fighters, but I guess Ayumi has the edge with her upcoming remakes.

The bigger issue if he will take the risk since he felt strongly for her lack of familiarity in the West at the time of Melee.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I am with fogbadge, it is a mixed bag.

I still have my doubts on us getting any retros as DLC fighters, but I guess Ayumi has the edge with her upcoming remakes.

The bigger issue if he will take the risk since he felt strongly for her lack of familiarity in the West at the time of Melee.
Yeah, I guess I've just been taking Sakurai's claim about Smash's popularity being so great these days, that they could 'get away' with things they normally wouldn't have during the early days of the series at face value somewhat.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Happy new years Famicom Detective Club fans! Let's pray and push on that we get that Famicom Detective Club remake localized and released in the west as well as getting Ayumi Tachibana in Smash. ;)

Oddball

Smash Lord
If it's just Sakurai's choice, I can see him wanting to put character he'd considered but already turned down because this is the Ultimate Smash.

However I'm pretty sure this is Nintendo's choice so they're more likely to put big names in the game.

There's always a chance that even if we don't get Ayumi as playable we get a mii costume though. I can think of a lot of good characters we could make with a Mii schoolgirl costume.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just realized with the DLC carrying on all the way to December of 2021, than that means they could promote Ayumi Tachibana as DLC in Smash. That's only if they release and localize the Famicom Detective Club remake in the west though and that isn't saying very much even if the game does come out here. Just keep the possibility in mind though guys. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, a lot can happen in two years time, if the staff isn't too speedy. It would help for the game to get released in the meantime, seeing how the "international releases only" criteria hasn't been dropped yet.

At the very least, Ayumi would be ideal as a low-key final spot reveal for the second pass, seeing how ignored she is even now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As much negative vibes Ayumi would receive from most western Smash fans, I would be hyped as hell for her if she actually manages to get in.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

I'll believe it when I see it. Sakurai say's alot of conflicting stuff depending on the moment. Ashley would have been a playable fighter along time ago if he meant what he says. I believe he is only saying this because of releasing Byleth after getting enormous backlash from Corrins inclusion. It's an excuse. If Steve or Waluigi become playable fighters he'll back-peddle and insist on widespread recognition is crucial.

Making Ayumi a Playable fighter will require a huge backbone that Sakurai and Nintendo have sorely lacked since Iwata died.

Most of the new none-echo fighters for ultimate have PRIMARILY either been included because they recently had a hit game in their series (Byleth and Joker) or were in high demand with smash's loud dude-bro nerds (Banjo, K. Rool, Simon etc.) or are from massively large Series (Incineroar, Hero). The only two characters I can think of that seem to have been included primarily due to being unique and fun fighters is Inkling and Pirahanna Plant.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'll believe it when I see it. Sakurai say's alot of conflicting stuff depending on the moment. Ashley would have been a playable fighter along time ago if he meant what he says. I believe he is only saying this because of releasing Byleth after getting enormous backlash from Corrins inclusion. It's an excuse. If Steve or Waluigi become playable fighters he'll back-peddle and insist on widespread recognition is crucial.

Making Ayumi a Playable fighter will require a huge backbone that Sakurai and Nintendo have sorely lacked since Iwata died.

Most of the new none-echo fighters for ultimate have PRIMARILY either been included because they recently had a hit game in their series (Byleth and Joker) or were in high demand with smash's loud dude-bro nerds (Banjo, K. Rool, Simon etc.) or are from massively large Series (Incineroar, Hero). The only two characters I can think of that seem to have been included primarily due to being unique and fun fighters is Inkling and Pirahanna Plant.
inkling got in due to the large success and great popularity of splatoon, not solely to have a unique fighter

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
THIS. There is really no excuse to not put her in the roster especially if they bring the Famicom Detective Club remake over here. I honestly see putting a Japanese exclusive character/IP into the roster as a healthy thing as it would raise awareness for said franchise and it would get some well deserve recognition in the west and outside of Japan in general. This is one of the reasons why I want Goemon in Smash as a playable character so badly because if he got it, my favorite franchise Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja will finally get the recognition it rightfully deserves in the west.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Nintendo once again confirms that Famicom Detective Club Switch is coming this year in a recent business report.

I’m predicting the summer will be its Japanese release date since Spring seem pretty stacked for the year.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Oh wow, I didn't know that Famicom Detective Club was getting a remake, well this does proves good for Ayumi if the game comes outside Japan which I hope it does.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nintendo once again confirms that Famicom Detective Club Switch is coming this year in a recent business report.

I’m predicting the summer will be its Japanese release date since Spring seem pretty stacked for the year.
That seems reasonable. The release for New Horizons is coming ever closer, and we've still got yet to get much new information for that. So a direct needs to happen ASAP. Even if the announcement is Japan-only, it'd be the ideal time to show the DC remake's release date.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Imagine not knowing the names of the two (me and Denox) who started Operation Tachibana. But that is fine, we are now starting the trend of these videos if it would help get our movement kickstarted.

By the way, thank you for your time Sephazon Sephazon , you were a great special guest to our post cast and added a lot of insight for Nintendo's relationship with Famicom Detective Club. We can hope this video takes off soon.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Imagine not knowing the names of the two (me and Denox) who started Operation Tachibana. But that is fine, we are now starting the trend of these videos if it would help get our movement kickstarted.
in my defence i know you by your names on here, and ive been avoiding youtube for a wee while now

D

Deleted member

I asked this before in another thread (don't remember which one) but out of curiosity did Sakurai actually say that a character needs to be fun to play not just recognizable I mean as much as I want to believe it, however I also wondered if he actually said that in the Japanese demonstration too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I asked this before in another thread (don't remember which one) but out of curiosity did Sakurai actually say that a character needs to be fun to play not just recognizable I mean as much as I want to believe it, however I also wondered if he actually said that in the Japanese demonstration too.
well sakurai isnt always consistent so it may not matter

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AH_AC2fN4

Azure, Sephazon, and Denoxkun are streaming a podcast.

Check it all out.
Cool! I'm very curious to hear about Famicom Detective Club's history in the podcast. I'll try to check it out later or tomorrow.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has heard from his sources about a rumored Iwata tribute character after Season Pass 2. What do you guys think if this rumor is true? Do you think Iwata had a special connection to Famicom Detective Club?

Last edited:
Top Bottom