• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Denoxkun

Smash Cadet
ATTENTION EVERYONE! THE VIDEO FOR THE OPERATION TACHIBANA IS FINALLY UP!! I will need your help spreading this. I have a script you can use to copy paste this video everywhere, especially to fans of Steins;gate, Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton! Here it is:

Do you love Visual Novels games like Steins;Gate? Love playing games about crime solving and detectives? Then I highly recommend you check this video out. Mages has teamed up with Nintendo to make this new, unique visual novel about crime solving! Enjoy! If you like it, please spread the word! https://youtu.be/nJ32nESrew0

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Beautiful video as always Denox, you perfectly explained everything that there is to know and why important it is to push for FDC's localization

That being said, everyone should do their part and spread the video around.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i was playing the famicom detective club part 2 credits theme on my show today and i was thinking it make a great tune for a reveal trailer

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I have some bad news, Derrick of Gamexplain did not reply to my comment on the FDC remake. It is true that they would rather focus only on games with a Western release.

On the other hand, I am trying to push the Operation Tachibana video and Discord on Gamefaqs, not much progress since all FDC boards there are dead. The first reply I see was only one comment talking about the remake that was 3 weeks old.

I guess we will have to try harder. Anyone can feel free to give us ideas on what we can do. That reminds me, you used to work for Nintendo right, maybe you could be of assistance Sephazon Sephazon

you know i was playing the famicom detective club part 2 credits theme on my show today and i was thinking it make a great tune for a reveal trailer
You know, that is not a bad idea. It really would work well for a trailer reveal.

I am only awaiting how they will remix that in the Switch remakes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, whether Operation Tachibana is successful or not, I'm importing that remake of Famicom Detective Club.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've kept forgetting to ask this, but what do you all think are the chances of Nintendo remaking Shin Onigashima and Yuyuki at this point? Do you all think if the FDC remakes are successful, we'll see Nintendo want to take another crack at them too?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've kept forgetting to ask this, but what do you all think are the chances of Nintendo remaking Shin Onigashima and Yuyuki at this point? Do you all think if the FDC remakes are successful, we'll see Nintendo want to take another crack at them too?
well anything's possible i suppose

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Depends on the level of success. If FDC is just mildly successful, then I don't know, but if it wildly overperforms then I think Nintendo would see the value in the genre and keep chugging them remakes out (before eventually needing to start making original ones I guess).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Unless these remakes are wildly successful, I doubt they will do Shin Onigashima and Yuyuki.

I do see that as being possible as proof that VN like games could be successful in Nintendo's eyes.

Time Twist? Forget about it. The game is very historical and have too many controversial elements to see the light of day again. Nazism, the Salem Witch Trials, the KKK, and even having baby Jesus possessed by Satan as the final boss. There was a reason Nintendo never released it as Virtual Console, even in Japan.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Unless these remakes are wildly successful, I doubt they will do Shin Onigashima and Yuyuki.

I do see that as being possible as proof that VN like games could be successful in Nintendo's eyes.

Time Twist? Forget about it. The game is very historical and have too many controversial elements to see the light of day again. Nazism, the Salem Witch Trials, the KKK, and even having baby Jesus possessed by Satan as the final boss. There was a reason Nintendo never released it as Virtual Console, even in Japan.
Would be rad though

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

The fact that Time Twist even exists never fails to amaze me. The more I learn about it, the stranger it gets. A chapter taking place in a concentration camp? An actual lynching in an NES game? Fighting a demon possessed Baby Jesus as the final boss? It's hard to believe squeaky clean Nintendo put out a game where so many controversial topics are touched upon.

Factor in the massive obscurity the game has even in its own country, its the Nintendo equivalent of a fever dream.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

The fact that Time Twist even exists never fails to amaze me. The more I learn about it, the stranger it gets. A chapter taking place in a concentration camp? An actual lynching in an NES game? Fighting a demon possessed Baby Jesus as the final boss? It's hard to believe squeaky clean Nintendo put out a game where so many controversial topics are touched upon.

Factor in the massive obscurity the game has even in its own country, its the Nintendo equivalent of a fever dream.
What was Nintendo ON when they made this? Like, I swear that I can't, for the life of me, tell whether or not they knew what they were doing, or if they were on some stuff...

Would be rad though
Honestly, I kind of want SOMETHING from this to appear in Smash, just to see how high the content rating would go.

In fact, I wonder if music from Time Twist could appear in Smash, or would even THAT be controversial?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What was Nintendo ON when they made this? Like, I swear that I can't, for the life of me, tell whether or not they knew what they were doing, or if they were on some stuff...

Honestly, I kind of want SOMETHING from this to appear in Smash, just to see how high the content rating would go.

In fact, I wonder if music from Time Twist could appear in Smash, or would even THAT be controversial?
I guess it could lead to dumb articles from people that are now discovering this old forgotten game, but I doubt the music itself has controversial material.

Then again I've never played it so maybe the music has Satanic messages or some ****.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Time Twist has no artwork worth using if I recall. The soundtrack is also average at best.

But either way, any acknowledgement of it in Smash would be met with severe controversy.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I was trying to find some good information on the first and third game but almost everything I can find online focuses on the SNES remake of 2. Anybody know any good sites or articles that go into detail about the 1st or 3rd games?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I feel we are having a bit of a news drought.

Hopefully the next Japanese direct can give us more news on the remakes. I want to see how they handled other famous scenes from both games. Mages is a good fit, I have faith they will do the stories with the best care.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Now, I'm not recommending that we remake the game ourselves, with an IP we clearly have no right to use. However, if some individual were to take it upon themselves and make a fan-remake of Famicom Detective Club, in the same quality as, say, Another Metroid 2 Remake, then there are only three outcomes.

1. The game is never completed.
2. The game is completed in 10 years and maybe Kotaku and other publications report on it, if they're still around.
3. Development is shutdown by Nintendo, which would bring in some sort of attention, no doubt.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Now, I'm not recommending that we remake the game ourselves, with an IP we clearly have no right to use. However, if some individual were to take it upon themselves and make a fan-remake of Famicom Detective Club, in the same quality as, say, Another Metroid 2 Remake, then there are only three outcomes.

1. The game is never completed.
2. The game is completed in 10 years and maybe Kotaku and other publications report on it, if they're still around.
3. Development is shutdown by Nintendo, which would bring in some sort of attention, no doubt.
why would we remake a game theyre already remaking?

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
why would we remake a game theyre already remaking?
Well, you see, the reason there is because I am a fool and didn't realize we have an actual remake in development. That's what I get for working 16 hours a day in Tokyo for the past two months.

Remake hype.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, you see, the reason there is because I am a fool and didn't realize we have an actual remake in development. That's what I get for working 16 hours a day in Tokyo for the past two months.

Remake hype.
well cant fault you for not being up to date then

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Remake hype.
Aaaaay good to see you again.

And lets hope that NOA get smart and try localizing this. If not, we will need Operation Tachibana to get spread further.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I've recently started working as a localizer for various companies in Japan, some of whom work with Nintendo. At this point in time, I do not accurately understand the localization process with Nintendo, as it is entirely possible that some games go through some sort of localization process twice.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
So after eyeing it for years, I had a free day yesterday, so I finally sat down and played through Famicom Detective Club Part II...

...and holy CRAP is it good! I've been missing out for years! I was hooked the whole time! There were so many twists and turns during the plot... I kept thinking, "This person is too obvious to be the culprit", but then there was a point where I realized I had thought that so many times that it was probably one of the ones I didn't have that thought about! I seriously loved the entire experience - it's so different from any other Nintendo game I've played. I didn't really know what to expect going in, but it blew any expectations I had out of the water. The music was great, the story was great, the art was great... the game was fantastic! There's an unsettling feeling through the whole game which made the mystery very compelling. It was awesome!

I'd absolutely love to have Ayumi or "Mr. Detective" in Smash! The moveset in the OP is also a lot of fun - I like the idea of collecting evidence and building up courage. Please add me to the support list! :)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've recently started working as a localizer for various companies in Japan, some of whom work with Nintendo. At this point in time, I do not accurately understand the localization process with Nintendo, as it is entirely possible that some games go through some sort of localization process twice.
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Feel free to let us know if anything happens.

Of course as long as it does not harm your NDA.

So after eyeing it for years, I had a free day yesterday, so I finally sat down and played through Famicom Detective Club Part II...

...and holy CRAP is it good! I've been missing out for years! I was hooked the whole time! There were so many twists and turns during the plot... I kept thinking, "This person is too obvious to be the culprit", but then there was a point where I realized I had thought that so many times that it was probably one of the ones I didn't have that thought about! I seriously loved the entire experience - it's so different from any other Nintendo game I've played. I didn't really know what to expect going in, but it blew any expectations I had out of the water. The music was great, the story was great, the art was great... the game was fantastic! There's an unsettling feeling through the whole game which made the mystery very compelling. It was awesome!

I'd absolutely love to have Ayumi or "Mr. Detective" in Smash! The moveset in the OP is also a lot of fun - I like the idea of collecting evidence and building up courage. Please add me to the support list! :)
Added.

New support is always welcome. I am glad you gave FDC a try and really enjoyed the story. Ayumi or Mr Detective would be great characters in Smash if they find way for them to work. It worked well for Phoenix in UMvC3.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Added.

New support is always welcome. I am glad you gave FDC a try and really enjoyed the story. Ayumi or Mr Detective would be great characters in Smash if they find way for them to work. It worked well for Phoenix in UMvC3.
Yeah, I did really enjoy it! I can definitely see why it's a cult classic over in Japan. :) It's fun to see movesets for characters that don't typically fight!

--

On another note - yesterday I read through this thread, and I saw that stages were discussed a few times. I saw that most people seem to think that the school is the most likely stage, and I thought that a cool stage mechanic would be that whenever the crowd starts chanting a character's name. the Girl in Back appears and approaches that character, and when she touches them, she disappears and the character gets stunned and takes damage, allowing opponents an opportunity to run in! Since the chanting is from similarily disembodied voices, as in the rumors.

I figure it'd be fun - it'd use a basic Smash feature in a new way, and it'd make for a "scary" moment, like in the original games - the player getting cheered can try to run away until the cheering ends! It'd also be interesting because since the chanting doesn't happen every game, it'd be a weird mechanic that would be lying in wait until the next time a chant happens. What do you all think of this?

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Sounds like you had a real fun time, huh? I'm not saying Detective Club is a bad game by any means, but was it really that captivating?

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like you had a real fun time, huh? I'm not saying Detective Club is a bad game by any means, but was it really that captivating?
Haha, I certainly thought so! Mystery stories - and especially mystery games, where you're the one putting the pieces together - really hook me when they're done well. I thought the game's story was great, so I could hardly put it down until I'd finished the whole thing! Then, everything else made it even better - the music was great and really nailed the atmosphere, the characters were interesting, the art was really good for an SNES game... and so on! It just ticked a lot of boxes for me!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Anyone knows what this is about? I ask the guy who uploaded this if the proof is the music being in Melee's code, but he hasn't responded yet. He also said that Ayumi Tachibana was planned for Melee which, isn't true. She was just one out of a dozen NES characters considered for the Retro slot that the Ice Climbers got at the end.

Honestly, I would take this guy's word with a grain of salt, but I'm just asking you guys if you heard of any dataminers digging through Melee's code and finding this song in it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Anyone knows what this is about? I ask the guy who uploaded this if the proof is the music being in Melee's code, but he hasn't responded yet. He also said that Ayumi Tachibana was planned for Melee which, isn't true. She was just one out of a dozen NES characters considered for the Retro slot that the Ice Climbers got at the end.

Honestly, I would take this guy's word with a grain of salt, but I'm just asking you guys if you heard of any dataminers digging through Melee's code and finding this song in it.
sakurai said he considered her, id say thats proof enough

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

I took a look at the uploader's channel, and every single one of their videos is a "Proof that [character] was almost in Melee". All of the videos seem to be about characters that were once mentioned to be considered for Melee, like Lucas and Balloon Fighter. I took a look at a few of the videos, and it seems like it's just a hobby where they take a song that could be a victory theme for them, and edit the announcer's voice to say the character's name. Here's the Lucas video! Here's Wario! Here's Excitebike!

So the Ayumi video isn't real - the channel just makes edited victory lines/music for characters that Sakurai has mentioned for Melee before. I don't really get the impression they're trying to mislead people, though - some of the comments on some of the videos say what considered character they want to see next, and the channel replies to them basically saying they'll get to them. Likewise, they don't seem willing to do characters that have never been mentioned for Melee. It seems like they're basically making "what if?" victory lines/themes, though it is odd that the title and description say it's proof.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I took a look at the uploader's channel, and every single one of their videos is a "Proof that [character] was almost in Melee". All of the videos seem to be about characters that were once mentioned to be considered for Melee, like Lucas and Balloon Fighter. I took a look at a few of the videos, and it seems like it's just a hobby where they take a song that could be a victory theme for them, and edit the announcer's voice to say the character's name. Here's the Lucas video! Here's Wario! Here's Excitebike!

So the Ayumi video isn't real - the channel just makes edited victory lines/music for characters that Sakurai has mentioned for Melee before. I don't really get the impression they're trying to mislead people, though - some of the comments on some of the videos say what considered character they want to see next, and the channel replies to them basically saying they'll get to them. Likewise, they don't seem willing to do characters that have never been mentioned for Melee. It seems like they're basically making "what if?" victory lines/themes, though it is odd that the title and description say it's proof.
You are right.

He seems harmless, just spreading awareness for come character ideas fro the fans that never thought of them. Which is cool, not like it is clickbait material just for views.

By the way, I like your stage idea. The cheering mechanic and use of the Girl in Back makes the stage stand out in its own way than being a school setting.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
I can appreciate the difference between being considered for Super Smash Bros. and almost being in the game. Let’s consider character development for Super Smash Bros. like a beach party. Of course, first you need an invitation to the beach – this “invitation” is analogous of being considered as new characters for the latest game.

Now, when the characters arrive, some stay on the beach all day. These characters don’t make it anywhere near the water, which represents development. Some may go into the water, but stay in the shallows, while others go into deeper water still. They’re all technically in the water, but some are way out there, surfing and snorkeling. Exploring what the ocean has to offer, or in this case, development. Then, out in the middle of the ocean, you have the S.S. Super Smash Bros. Characters who manage to swim all the way out here can finally make an appearance in the next game. Everyone who even so much stepped foot in the metaphorical ocean was more “almost” in the game than those who were simply considered for development. However, relatively speaking, there are characters who make it further than others, so some characters are more almost than others.

Saying a character was almost in Super Smash Bros. can sometimes be equated to me saying I almost met the emperor because we both live in Tokyo. Sure, I have a better chance than somebody living in Germany, but it’s not saying much. Simply being considered is clearly not the same as almost being in the game. Further still, characters who have their name in the code are further back than having an unused polygon. This is where the metaphorical seafloor drops, as naturally some characters come closer to the S.S. Super Smash Bros. than others. For example, Roy and Mewtwo had some semblance of development within Super Smash Bros. Brawl. At the end of the day, however, as a character, you're either in or you're not. Saying a character was “almost” in the game doesn't mean much if we don't have a measurement of how much “almost” they were.

We could debate Ayumi Tachibana until the cows come home, but at the end of the day, all we have to go in in the end is Sakurai’s word and a polygon in the form of a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee. From there, it’s up for debate how “almost” she was. It should be noted, however, that it is clearly unusual for a character as relatively unknown as Ayumi to have received a trophy at all, and I think this says the most about her potential development. To say she was almost in and to what extent, however, is up for debate.

Rather disappointingly, this week's issue of Famitsu and this month's issue of Coro Coro and Nintendo Dream contain no new information on the remake of Famicom Detective Club. I'll keep everyone posted whenever new information comes up here in Japan.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I can appreciate the difference between being considered for Super Smash Bros. and almost being in the game. Let’s consider character development for Super Smash Bros. like a beach party. Of course, first you need an invitation to the beach – this “invitation” is analogous of being considered as new characters for the latest game.

Now, when the characters arrive, some stay on the beach all day. These characters don’t make it anywhere near the water, which represents development. Some may go into the water, but stay in the shallows, while others go into deeper water still. They’re all technically in the water, but some are way out there, surfing and snorkeling. Exploring what the ocean has to offer, or in this case, development. Then, out in the middle of the ocean, you have the S.S. Super Smash Bros. Characters who manage to swim all the way out here can finally make an appearance in the next game. Everyone who even so much stepped foot in the metaphorical ocean was more “almost” in the game than those who were simply considered for development. However, relatively speaking, there are characters who make it further than others, so some characters are more almost than others.

Saying a character was almost in Super Smash Bros. can sometimes be equated to me saying I almost met the emperor because we both live in Tokyo. Sure, I have a better chance than somebody living in Germany, but it’s not saying much. Simply being considered is clearly not the same as almost being in the game. Further still, characters who have their name in the code are further back than having an unused polygon. This is where the metaphorical seafloor drops, as naturally some characters come closer to the S.S. Super Smash Bros. than others. For example, Roy and Mewtwo had some semblance of development within Super Smash Bros. Brawl. At the end of the day, however, as a character, you're either in or you're not. Saying a character was “almost” in the game doesn't mean much if we don't have a measurement of how much “almost” they were.

We could debate Ayumi Tachibana until the cows come home, but at the end of the day, all we have to go in in the end is Sakurai’s word and a polygon in the form of a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee. From there, it’s up for debate how “almost” she was. It should be noted, however, that it is clearly unusual for a character as relatively unknown as Ayumi to have received a trophy at all, and I think this says the most about her potential development. To say she was almost in and to what extent, however, is up for debate.

Rather disappointingly, this week's issue of Famitsu and this month's issue of Coro Coro and Nintendo Dream contain no new information on the remake of Famicom Detective Club. I'll keep everyone posted whenever new information comes up here in Japan.
I have to say, you make a very vivid argument here, my good sir.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
and for those of us who live in countries too cold for that kind of thing?

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
and for those of us who live in countries too cold for that kind of thing?
Well, that's quite simple. You're a third party character. They have to pay extra to fly you out to the party.

Top Bottom