• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I got curious so I did some detective work (hehe) myself and actually found PDF scans of manuals from all four FDS releases:
1-1 | 1-2
2-1 | 2-2
Now for the weird part, Ayumi's spirit is from neither of those. We can safely rule out the first game because she wasn't in her uniform there and the third game due to being a digital Sattellaview only game (as well as the advertising using a vastly different style), meaning it has to come from the second game. Though as I said, that piece of artwork wasn't used in the FDS manuals either, closest would be Ayumi's mugshot on page 11 of manual 2-1 and even that has some big differences. And as for the SNES release, it was Nintendo Power exclusive, so it didn't come with a box or proper manual either, as well as also (famously) using a vastly different artstyle as well.

I'm not saying this is pointing to a new game... but it's pointing to a new game. I'm joking, of course... but wouldn't it be just neat if it were true?

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
By the way, does anybody think it would be a good idea if we started up a Famicom Detective Club Discord server?

...I'm fine either way, myself, but perhaps that'd be cool?

tatizeked

Smash Rookie
may or may not have made an account just to comment here
i noticed a shinobu spirit in some people's games, but i haven't seen what art the spirit uses. i don't have ultimate yet, can anyone confirm where this shinobu is from?

(this isn't my picture, i stole it from twitter)

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
i noticed a shinobu spirit in some people's games, but i haven't seen what art the spirit uses. i don't have ultimate yet, can anyone confirm where this shinobu is from?

"Shinobu" uses this artwork in the game: :)

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Agr

I'm not saying this is pointing to a new game... but it's pointing to a new game. I'm joking, of course... but wouldn't it be just neat if it were true?
Agreed. Its a VERY tempting thought. But when looking at it really carefully It clearly shows signs of age. it's clearly artwork from FDC's original run that Nintendo dug up somewhere. The real mystery is where?

Maybe it's artwork they hung on to but never released because they might have thought it was out of character for Ayumi seeing as she's smiling in it as opposed to her typical "Hero Face"(ala Link). But that line of thinking is just as conspiratorial as the one saying that it means she's getting a new game.

That being said it's still possible Sakurai may reboot FDC for his next project. IIRC someone at Nintendo said they were hoping his next project would be a new FDC game. However, more than likely it's going to be Kid Icarus Uprising 2.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
that's unfortunate! i thought i'd found something. at least you can have 'shinobu' and ayumi attached to the same fighter haha.
Someone at gamefaqs thought "Shinobu" referred to a character from No More Heros and that Travis Touchdown is going to be DLC. Senran Kagura also has a Shinobu character. Shinobu must be a common name for Ninja characters.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

It's pretty funny, actually. The character it makes is Ibuki from Street fighter and she's a character who's best described as "Ninja" and "Schoolgirl". It's a nice nod, honestly.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Since I'm curious, What about the art for some of the other older character? Like Goku and Chao or Donbe and Hikari? Both of those spirits use Artwork I don't recognize at all. It very possibly could be concept art?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Since I'm curious, What about the art for some of the other older character? Like Goku and Chao or Donbe and Hikari? Both of those spirits use Artwork I don't recognize at all. It very possibly could be concept art?
I'm about 90% sure that the artwork used for the Famicom Fairytale teams (Goku and Chao, Donbe and Hikari) are ripped straight from official artwork from their manuals.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If only someone actually had the manuals, so they could check...
The PDF was posted earlier and no art used for that Spirit was found. It could be from another piece of official art featured in magazines of the time or even some internal concept art.

Goku and Chao has had low-res art posted on the internet for a while, as it was a common joke to post that Goku whenever someone asked about Goku In Smash but this is probably the highest resolution we have now.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's right here dude, use your eyes.

I got curious so I did some detective work (hehe) myself and actually found PDF scans of manuals from all four FDS releases:
1-1 | 1-2
2-1 | 2-2
Now for the weird part, Ayumi's spirit is from neither of those. We can safely rule out the first game because she wasn't in her uniform there and the third game due to being a digital Sattellaview only game (as well as the advertising using a vastly different style), meaning it has to come from the second game. Though as I said, that piece of artwork wasn't used in the FDS manuals either, closest would be Ayumi's mugshot on page 11 of manual 2-1 and even that has some big differences. And as for the SNES release, it was Nintendo Power exclusive, so it didn't come with a box or proper manual either, as well as also (famously) using a vastly different artstyle as well.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
My question is, what other spirits got new art for them as well? If we learn that, that may put things slightly into perspective. No, it doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo and Sakurai perhaps care about Ayumi more than we think...I just think the results could be interesting.

Also, wait, KingofUSA85 KingofUSA85 , someone at Nintendo said that? Do you have a source for that? I'm very curious about where and when you found that piece of info. Well, in any case, I considerably doubt Kid Icarus Uprising 2 will ever happen due to Sakurai's immensely difficult experience with making the first game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I get the feeling that every costume (or at the very least, every Nintendo-owned one) will return for SMM2. Ayumi included, of course.
This, I expect all Nintendo costumes to come back. The third party stuff like Baby Metal and Chitoge however will not even come back, getting their rights again wouldn't be worth it.

Let's all make levels featuring Ayumi, then!
Yes, I know I will do so. I already got some ideas ready, partially based on Denoxkun Denoxkun for the Operation Tachibana videos.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This, I expect all Nintendo costumes to come back. The third party stuff like Baby Metal and Chitoge however will not even come back, getting their rights again wouldn't be worth it.
Exactly. Honestly, I hope Nintendo makes it easier to acquire Mystery outfits this time. Wasn't Ayumi one of the more tricky characters to get?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Exactly. Honestly, I hope Nintendo makes it easier to acquire Mystery outfits this time. Wasn't Ayumi one of the more tricky characters to get?
Yes it was. Try beeting Expert Mode to get her, I dare you too. Especially with the BS levels people make that are unwindable.

And I am definitely expecting her back either way.

What would her Classic Mode route and Punch-Out title name be?
One title I have in mind was "The Schoolgirl Detective". Although "The Girl In Front" seems like a neat nod to the 2nd game.

So many possibilities.

Classic Mode? I was thinking of her fighting various criminals and villains. Like Ridley, Wario, Bowser, K Rool, Toon Link (he got arrested in Wind Waker), Mario (he was framed in Super Mario Sunshine), and Wolf.

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
One title I have in mind was "The Schoolgirl Detective". Although "The Girl In Front" seems like a neat nod to the 2nd game.

So many possibilities.

Classic Mode? I was thinking of her fighting various criminals and villains. Like Ridley, Wario, Bowser, K Rool, Toon Link (he got arrested in Wind Waker), Mario (he was framed in Super Mario Sunshine), and Wolf.
I'm guessing the name for the Classic route would be "Case Closed" or something along those lines.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm not too fond of case closed myself. That's for the ending of something. We need a beginning.

Case of the Serial Smasher?

LH LH

Smash Cadet
I’ll support. Itd be cool to see what her moveset could be. And did Ayumi ever have an umbrella

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I’ll support. Itd be cool to see what her moveset could be. And did Ayumi ever have an umbrella
Yes she did actually and it was in a cutscene just to keep herself dry in the rain. Still something that should be a part of her toolset like the magnifying glass and suitcase.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77YJMXjLLCk

While this is most likely just future-proofing and placeholders, this is still intriguing regardless. What does it mean for our end? Probably nothing, but hey, seeing this got me thinking...
Hmmmm

Maybe we could get more DLC fighters in the end. I am more concerned about Ayumi herself assuming Sakurai still has that "lack of familiarity" view that will hold her and other characters in her position back.

I guess with the Spirit, some people know who she is now.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Don’t know if this thread is still active, but I support Ayumi!
The issue is more or less finding more stuff to really talk about.

I would ask how many of you had played the fan translation of Famicom Detective Club Part II, a good deal of you probably didn't try it. I would highly recommend it since it is a great game.

A friend of mines streamed it last year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom