• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I thought that Super Mario Land had it so that the enemies you encounter are her subjects, under Tatanga's hypnosis? :confused:
Oh really?

Was this mentioned in the manual or other promotional material?

I still stand by the Pokeys and Shy Guys being perfect subjects for her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just to check, was it in the Japanese manual too?

You know how translators can be some times, changing Eggman to Robotnik, making King K. Rool dressed as a Pirate into his brother, rendering an entire conversation about heavy topics into nothing but ellipses. Things like that.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And this is why Tatanga needs to return.
Looking at the scan again, I notice two more things;

1: Mario is nosy. This is the only way that he could've come to know of these events.

2: It makes it sound like Daisy actually rules from Chai, not from Birabuto as people tend to go with.

Just to check, was it in the Japanese manual too?

You know how translators can be some times, changing Eggman to Robotnik, making King K. Rool dressed as a Pirate into his brother, rendering an entire conversation about heavy topics into nothing but ellipses. Things like that.
I'm pretty sure that Super Mario Land's manual had an absolutely straight translation, by virtue of the fact that they barely localised anything - almost all of the game's enemies retain their Japanese names, the name of Sarasaland probably would've ended up as "The Calico Kingdom" if a similar ethos had been applied to Super Mario Land as it was to Super Mario Bros., and Birabuto is actually a minor mistranslation of what is actually supposed to read something like "Pyraputo" in reference to the pyramids (the other kingdoms had their names romanised correctly).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking at the scan again, I notice two more things;

1: Mario is nosy. This is the only way that he could've come to know of these events.

2: It makes it sound like Daisy actually rules from Chai, not from Birabuto as people tend to go with.

I'm pretty sure that Super Mario Land's manual had an absolutely straight translation, by virtue of the fact that they barely localised anything - almost all of the game's enemies retain their Japanese names, the name of Sarasaland probably would've ended up as "The Calico Kingdom" if a similar ethos had been applied to Super Mario Land as it was to Super Mario Bros., and Birabuto is actually a minor mistranslation of what is actually supposed to read something like "Pyraputo" in reference to the pyramids (the other kingdoms had their names romanised correctly).
So if anything, Daisy is Chinese, not Arabian like commonly depicted. And it seems Princess saver is Mario's official job.

I can go with that. The VC release renamed all the derivative enemies but left the original ones untouched.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The absurdity of the notion of "interstellar hypnosis" has finally given me an idea for what would replace the lame cheap counter if Daisy were to be a Peach semi-clone: She could hold out Tatanga, who would basically do the same thing as Mewtwo's Disable by using his interstellar hypnosis. :laugh:

Of course, the move would simply be called Interstellar Hypnosis, for maximum ridiculousness.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The absurdity of the notion of "interstellar hypnosis" has finally given me an idea for what would replace the lame cheap counter if Daisy were to be a Peach semi-clone: She could hold out Tatanga, who would basically do the same thing as Mewtwo's Disable by using his interstellar hypnosis. :laugh:

Of course, the move would simply be called Interstellar Hypnosis, for maximum ridiculousness.
I'd be up for it.

Poor Tatanga would be a punching back in Smash if that happened.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Games like Mario Party and Mario Kart have made me dislike Daisy a little on the inside but I think she'd be a great addition to Smash.

In relation to the poll at the top of the page, I think all outfits should become alts (or the strikers and main outfit as bare minimum) and they could all have some colour alts as well. She has good moveset potential and would be very fun to play. I saw a cool-looking Peach/Daisy mod the other day which could be considered a little teaser for what Daisy could look like if she were to be in Smash.

I definitely support this!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Games like Mario Party and Mario Kart have made me dislike Daisy a little on the inside but I think she'd be a great addition to Smash.
I just want to say thanks for putting it this way - it's really refreshing to see a post like this. :)

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Here's a crazy question for you: Should Daisy appear in Odyssey or any future mainline Mario, should she get a redesign?

Not a drastic one, but rather something like how they rethemed Pauline's clothes to better fit the mayor role. So, if Daisy were the princess of the Sand Kingdom, or the more middle-eastern inspired Sarasaland, should she lose her classic dress for something more fitting?

In my opinion, an Arabian-styled costume for Daisy as ruler of either Kingdom would give her something more to separate her from simply being "Peach #2" to many people. I wouldn't go full-on belly-dancer / Shantae, but I wouldn't necessarily say she be covered head-to-toe, hijab included. Some kind of happy medium where she's just as modest as Peach, but with a unique flair.

I'd also give Sarasaland a bit more background, and give her people to rule over. Much like how Peach leads the Toads, I think Daisy should lead the Pokeys. A desert-based enemy with a flower motif makes too much sense. Perhaps throw in some other Super Mario Bros. 2 enemies like Shy Guys and Birdos, as the entirety of the game was originally based around Arabian characters. Maybe Wart is Daisy's Bowser? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here. But combining the wackiness of Super Mario Land and Super Mario Bros. 2 into one Arabian kingdom just makes a lot of sense.
I would certainly like see something like this.
I have to say, I really like this idea. Not just because I run the Wart support-thread (:laugh:), but also because, by virtue of the story setup behind him and his appearances (after Super Mario Bros. 2, he fled to another dream-world to lie low for a while - this being Koholint Island from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening), Wart actually has to exist in real-life, outside of the dream realms, the same as the characters he's fought do.

Wart hasn't been seen in real-life yet, and the idea that he'd be Sarasaland's equivalent to Bowser is a really charming one for that reason, and would nicely explain why he's been able to stay hidden, since Sarasaland is relatively unexplored.

I thought that Super Mario Land had it so that the enemies you encounter are her subjects, under Tatanga's hypnosis? :confused:

I'd really like to see this. Best of luck with it! :grin:
I think so.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Right right, I'll add him.

In relation to the poll at the top of the page, I think all outfits should become alts (or the strikers and main outfit as bare minimum) and they could all have some colour alts as well. She has good moveset potential and would be very fun to play. I saw a cool-looking Peach/Daisy mod the other day which could be considered a little teaser for what Daisy could look like if she were to be in Smash.

I definitely support this!
Glad you feel that way. She would definitely be a fun addition despite her mixed reception from her spinoff appearances. Both her and Waluigi are long overdue IMO.

I would like all costumes to be made possible alts, if it's comolteley doable. Though in the realistic scenario, we would get dresses in one category (Tennis Open costume and Classic Dress) or the sporty stuff that involve her legs more (Strikers, Sports Outfit, etc).
We could get both if the hitboxes don't involve her dress in some attacks.

That being said, welcome aboard.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Right right, I'll add him.

Glad you feel that way. She would definitely be a fun addition despite her mixed reception from her spinoff appearances. Both her and Waluigi are long overdue IMO.

I would like all costumes to be made possible alts, if it's comolteley doable. Though in the realistic scenario, we would get dresses in one category (Tennis Open costume and Classic Dress) or the sporty stuff that involve her legs more (Strikers, Sports Outfit, etc).
We could get both if the hitboxes don't involve her dress in some attacks.

That being said, welcome aboard.
Or costume gear like other fighting games that allow you to customize the character's appearance would be nice.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Source: http://www.deviantart.com/art/MM-M-L-RPG-Style-Daisy-IT-S-A-MIRACLE-690502773

An outstanding and beautifully done artwork of Daisy in the M&L RPG style artwork. :3 You should check out this guy, he has great stuff.

This is nice thing to see. I love it.

Despite liking Waluigi a small bit more, I'd be perfectly fine with Daisy. I'll support.
Welcome and I'll add you to the list.

It's rare to see people that like both Waluigi and Daisy.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Is that the same bloke who did all the Smash M&L fanart a few years ago? His style is nice and fitting for Daisy.
This is nice thing to see. I love it.
This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!
:D Anytime! :3 It is great to find rare art gems like these for you guys! And yup, I think it's the same person, he seems to always get out of his way to make the style look flawless in his work, and I think even made a tutorial on how to replicate it like he does!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, two weeks of silence. We need a new topic.

How about this one, a common argument against Daisy & Waluigi is that it'd be going to far into the Mario Series representation. That got me wondering, what is the too far point? Fire Emblem has had so many casts over the years that even it's current representation of girlish sword guy, boyish sword guy, manly sword guy, magical sword guy/girl, actual sword girl and Jake Long: Noirian Dragon is only really scratching the surface. Heck some say Lucas's presence is over representing Mother.

As for Daisy, I belive the Mario series makes icons out of just about everyone in them. You could make a Koopa Troopa or a goomba into a Smasher and [eople would still play them. Daisy is really not that much of s stretch.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

How about this one, a common argument against Daisy & Waluigi is that it'd be going to far into the Mario Series representation. That got me wondering, what is the too far point? Fire Emblem has had so many casts over the years that even it's current representation of girlish sword guy, boyish sword guy, manly sword guy, magical sword guy/girl, actual sword girl and Jake Long: Noirian Dragon is only really scratching the surface. Heck some say Lucas's presence is over representing Mother.

As for Daisy, I belive the Mario series makes icons out of just about everyone in them. You could make a Koopa Troopa or a goomba into a Smasher and [eople would still play them. Daisy is really not that much of s stretch.
There is no over representation.

Just salt from the fact that every character ever isn't in the game.

And I understand that salt, I want every character ever.

Also, can anyone help me out, I want to try to import different sprites and play styles into a mario 2 rom? Anyone know a good way or program that can do this? Or a good forum to ask for help?

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122

"I have only appeared in spin-offs, therefore I am irrelevant"
This a broken record but overall the main reason people are prone to giving. But you make your point,pretty much anyone in the Mario can get the spotlight with enough exposure.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
"I have only appeared in spin-offs, therefore I am irrelevant"
This a broken record but overall the main reason people are prone to giving. But you make your point,pretty much anyone in the Mario can get the spotlight with enough exposure.
Followed up by questioning Dr. Mario's chopped liver status.

Wouldn't you know it, he doesn't count.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So even more recent and alive
And still just as much a spin-off character as Daisy has become and Waluigi has always been. ;)

Actually, come to think of it, wasn't Dr. Mario the first Mario spin-off, or at least one of the first? (I'm not going to count stuff like cameo appearances in other games, or on the box-art for unrelated games, as was the case with the Western box for Alleyway, obviously. :p)

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
And still just as much a spin-off character as Daisy has become and Waluigi has always been. ;)

Actually, come to think of it, wasn't Dr. Mario the first Mario spin-off, or at least one of the first? (I'm not going to count stuff like cameo appearances in other games, or on the box-art for unrelated games, as was the case with the Western box for Alleyway, obviously. :p)
Pretty much. The next spinoffs were Yoshi (the puzzle game) and the wario games.

Unless you count blast corps...

And I do.

Although back then it could be argued it was all just a donkey Kong spinoff.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122

Unrelated to the topic but a replay I sent to the Beefy Smash Doods made it into their most recent Fun & Fail compilation and it just so happens to feature D3.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Mario? Overrepresentation?

Are some ignoring the fact that Mario is Nintendo's biggest series?

And yeah, it's my fault this place was dead for weeks.

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I remember that there was a thread like this one before, but for some odd reason I don't get why that thread was closed.

Given that I voted for Daisy to be in Smash during the time where the Smash ballot was in, I think Daisy should be in Smash Switch, if there will be one or when there will be one. But in my opinion, I think she'd work best as an palette swap for Peach, so instead of a recolor, she would have different hairstyle, facial proportion and her name would be changed to Daisy as well, considering the fact that it worked with Olimar and Alph, as well as the Bowser Jr. & the Koopalings. Daisy could also have a palette swap of her own if you give Peach 16 slots, like Little Mac. The same case could've been applied to Bayonetta, where instead of a recolor, she would've have a model edit to fit Jeanne and have that palette swap's name be changed as well.

I imagine that if Daisy was in Smash, she'd have the same moves as Peach but with some differences, like perhaps she would run without picking up her dress, punching instead of slapping, and having less graceful aerial moves as opposed to the prim and proper Princess Peach, in which she'd display more energy. As for her side Smash, she'd basically have her Tennis racket changed to the flower symbol, and the hearts related attacks would be changed to flowers. And for her final Smash, it could be that move from Striker or something else unique that capture Daisy's essence.

I wish Nintendo could flesh their characters out better to make them more unique, because Daisy has alot of potential to be a outstanding, phenomenal character who's multi-dimensional, and perhaps give her a redesign and more masculine traits to fit the tomboy description better.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Mario? Overrepresentation?

Are some ignoring the fact that Mario is Nintendo's biggest series?

And yeah, it's my fault this place was dead for weeks.
Don't worry about it, pretty sure managing the Hunger Games(which are awesome) must be a tiring task.
I remember that there was a thread like this one before, but for some odd reason I don't get why that thread was closed.

Given that I voted for Daisy to be in Smash during the time where the Smash ballot was in, I think Daisy should be in Smash Switch, if there will be one or when there will be one. But in my opinion, I think she'd work best as an palette swap for Peach, so instead of a recolor, she would have different hairstyle, facial proportion and her name would be changed to Daisy as well, considering the fact that it worked with Olimar and Alph, as well as the Bowser Jr. & the Koopalings. Daisy could also have a palette swap of her own if you give Peach 16 slots, like Little Mac. The same case could've been applied to Bayonetta, where instead of a recolor, she would've have a model edit to fit Jeanne and have that palette swap's name be changed as well.

I imagine that if Daisy was in Smash, she'd have the same moves as Peach but with some differences, like perhaps she would run without picking up her dress, punching instead of slapping, and having less graceful aerial moves as opposed to the prim and proper Princess Peach, in which she'd display more energy. As for her side Smash, she'd basically have her Tennis racket changed to the flower symbol, and the hearts related attacks would be changed to flowers. And for her final Smash, it could be that move from Striker or something else unique that capture Daisy's essence.

I wish Nintendo could flesh their characters out better to make them more unique, because Daisy has alot of potential to be a outstanding, phenomenal character who's multi-dimensional, and perhaps give her a redesign and more masculine traits to fit the tomboy description better.
I wish more people were as open minded as you regarding Daisy.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This I can agree with. The flower theme is fine, but it heavy contradicts her personality asa whole. Unless it was meant to be ironic, I never really got that.

A redesign is long overdue and she's one of those characters that needs a bit more fleshing out. That's if Camelot, Namco, or whoever develops the next hottest Mario spinoff try writing her in a different light. Because we all know that her appearing in a game is never happening unless any imprint Mario figure wants to explore Sarasaland again. This is why I'm not expecting her to be in Odyssey, that one itself is a pipedream.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
This I can agree with. The flower theme is fine, but it heavy contradicts her personality asa whole. Unless it was meant to be ironic, I never really got that.

A redesign is long overdue and she's one of those characters that needs a bit more fleshing out. That's if Camelot, Namco, or whoever develops the next hottest Mario spinoff try writing her in a different light. Because we all know that her appearing in a game is never happening unless any imprint Mario figure wants to explore Sarasaland again. This is why I'm not expecting her to be in Odyssey, that one itself is a pipedream.
Well, there's still the amiibo to look forward to.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could see a playable Daisy happening in Mario x Rabbids for some reason...

Top Bottom