• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Unless they get lazy, but you are right, Mario in any of the princesses's dress would be hilarious.
xD Let's hope Nintendo doesn't go lazy on this game like they do with the Mario Kart re-texturing of models. :p I would draw it, but I'm not that good at drawing Mario (xD I have only put Ridley in Rosalina's dress for fun a long time ago).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So its gonna be costumes huh? Guardian(BotW) Mario is something I don't want to imagine. But on the topic of Daisy, do you guys think the costumes will be generic or do you think it will have some kind of impact on gameplay?
With all the effort the put into the game, they will be mostly like the original costumes like Sombrero Mario and all. But likely have some key differences based on the series or character.

While Daisy Mario would toss his crown, I can see Rathalos Mario swinging his tail since he doesn't have a hat. Those are my two cents.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
With all the effort the put into the game, they will be mostly like the original costumes like Sombrero Mario and all. But likely have some key differences based on the series or character.

While Daisy Mario would toss his crown, I can see Rathalos Mario swinging his tail since he doesn't have a hat. Those are my two cents.
All we have to do is wait until November to see what they have in store.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
All we have to do is wait until November to see what they have in store.
That's the best thing we can do until we get another direct that shows off said feature.

It's in need of a lot of buzz in order to tell us about the game and how the Amiibo functionality works.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
That's the best thing we can do until we get another direct that shows off said feature.

It's in need of a lot of buzz in order to tell us about the game and how the Amiibo functionality works.
If this affects gameplay in some way, we would get to see something we haven't seen before, Mario with a sword and not a rapier.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Mario Odyssey Moveset Time: Sand Queen Daisy Version
Daisy wears an upgraded version of her regular dress, combined with a sombrero hat.

Down B: Moe-Eye
A Moe-Eye pops out of the ground in front of Daisy.
The Moe-Eye has two "'modes"
If he has his sunglasses off, he walks around.
However, if the Moe-Eye is hit, it starts running towards Daisy, dealing damage and heavy knockback.
A safer, but less rewarding mode is his "sunglasses on" mode.
In this mode, he stands still, but since he's concentrating onto the nice view, he won't notice that he's attacked.
Daisy can change modes by throwing her hat with her Neutral B, which is the only atack Moe-Eye doesn't mind.

Moe-Eye have the standard capabilities of a wall, being used to block opponents from advancing, but also being used to jump, or even wall jump, from.

Neutral B: Hat Throw
Daisy throws her sombrero.
She can throw her hat in eight directions like Mega Man's Metal Blade.
If the hat hits an opponent, it's hit with a multi-hit attack, like Greninja's fully charged Water Shuriken.
Her hat cannot be caught and does not act as an item.

If the player holds the B button, she can throw the hat in a circle around her, with a rainbow trail appearing behind it.
This move is more powerful, but since the hat circles a good distance away from her, the move leaves a blind spot despite going around her body, hitting both front and back.

This move is Daisy's main combo starter and main tool to control the Moe-Eye

Side B: Jaxi
Daisy hops onto a Jaxi, which sends her speeding forwards.
Daisy can jump off the Jaxi at any time, which might be useful since the Jaxi can't be controlled and will not stop at the ledge if it sees one.
However, the Jaxi will stop and disappear as soon as Daisy jumped off.
Daisy can also not jump off as soon as the Jaxi has begun its trail, having to wait a few frames.
If the Jaxi crashes into an opponent, the opponent is launched with heavy knockback, although Daisy gets send back as well due to the recoil.
The real use of Jaxis reveals itself when one crashes into a Moe-Eye, which sends the Moe-Eye flying like Pac-Man's Fire Hydrant, all while the Jaxi keeps going.
This allows Daisy to truly pressure the opponent in a quite non-subtle way. (Only wusses need tight spacing to pressure, am I right Peach?)
If everything aligns, Daisy can even break a shield by slamming a Jaxi into a Moe-Eye, jumping off and hitting the opponent with another move (With the hat throw being the safest, but not the most damaging)

Up B: Flower Trampoline
Daisy jumps off of a Flower Trampoline as seen in the various game footage.
This sends her directly upwards.
For her horizontal recovery, she'll automatically slowly glide through the air by spinning around after performing the move.
This spin is a bit faster than her normal air speed and she can cancel the spin at any time, but this makes her even more helpless considering her high fall speed and slow air speed.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Daisy wears an upgraded version of her regular dress, combined with a sombrero hat.

However, if the Moe-Eye is hit, it starts running towards Daisy, dealing damage and heavy knockback.
In this mode, he stands still, but since he's concentrating onto the nice view, he won't notice that he's attacked.
Daisy can change modes by throwing her hat with her Neutral B, which is the only atack Moe-Eye doesn't mind.

Moe-Eye have the standard capabilities of a wall, being used to block opponents from advancing, but also being used to jump, or even wall jump, from.

If the hat hits an opponent, it's hit with a multi-hit attack, like Greninja's fully charged Water Shuriken.

If the player holds the B button, she can throw the hat in a circle around her, with a rainbow trail appearing behind it.
This move is more powerful, but since the hat circles a good distance away from her, the move leaves a blind spot despite going around her body, hitting both front and back.

Daisy can jump off the Jaxi at any time, which might be useful since the Jaxi can't be controlled and will not stop at the ledge if it sees one.
Daisy can also not jump off as soon as the Jaxi has begun its trail, having to wait a few frames.
If the Jaxi crashes into an opponent, the opponent is launched with heavy knockback, although Daisy gets send back as well due to the recoil.
The real use of Jaxis reveals itself when one crashes into a Moe-Eye, which sends the Moe-Eye flying like Pac-Man's Fire Hydrant, all while the Jaxi keeps going.
This allows Daisy to truly pressure the opponent in a quite non-subtle way. (Only wusses need tight spacing to pressure, am I right Peach?)
If everything aligns, Daisy can even break a shield by slamming a Jaxi into a Moe-Eye, jumping off and hitting the opponent with another move (With the hat throw being the safest, but not the most damaging)

For her horizontal recovery, she'll automatically slowly glide through the air by spinning around after performing the move.
This spin is a bit faster than her normal air speed and she can cancel the spin at any time, but this makes her even more helpless considering her high fall speed and slow air speed.
Oh, I wish I had your imagination WeirdChill.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

If only Sarasaland has a Mexico influenced country.

This moveset is good stuff, although her appearance in Odyssey is very unlikely.

And I'm guessing Jaxis are the rideable Sphinxes, right?

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias

Oooh, so stealing this from you for Galactic Battle! Back to working on MUGEN, now that I'm finished with the semi-official Smashboards visitation limit of once a month! - Afro (P.S. Afro's finally found a guy he likes, wish me luck on asking him out!)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oooh, so stealing this from you for Galactic Battle! Back to working on MUGEN, now that I'm finished with the semi-official Smashboards visitation limit of once a month! - Afro (P.S. Afro's finally found a guy he likes, wish me luck on asking him out!)
That's sweet, we're rooting for you.

And good luck with the Smash Galactic Battle development. Good to see you back.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey Afro, long time no see.

And good luck on your future projects (especially getting the boy).

It really makes me wonder if one of the next announced 2017 titles is a new Mario Party. Like it or not, it's a money maker. And the damn Amiibo (especially Daisy's) would have more use, other than the upcoming Super Mario Odyssey.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I still want to see Mario in Daisy's dress.

It better not be a lazy palette swap in Odyssey.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
That's sweet, we're rooting for you.

And good luck with the Smash Galactic Battle development. Good to see you back.
Afro's mostly been gone because I've decided to finish Job Corps this year with only Floor Covering under my belt, and has began to plan out his University return in 2018, as well as voluntarily moving out and renting a room in Denver as well. It's been busy for Afro, so much right now with looking for work, calling the center back and forth via the instructor. So be warned, Galactic Battle is on hiatus for the time being. Things will start clearing up once I graduate Job Corps before turning 21 next year....

Anyways, to keep it on topic, anybody feel as if Daisy might get a chance in a main Mario game, now that Pauline has finally broken the only Mario/Luigi/Peach/Toad/Yoshi/Rosalina/Bowser/Bowser Jr./Koopalings rule of Miyamoto's? I feel that the others might have a chance now that PAULINE of all characters is in a main game!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Anyways, to keep it on topic, anybody feel as if Daisy might get a chance in a main Mario game, now that Pauline has finally broken the only Mario/Luigi/Peach/Toad/Yoshi/Rosalina/Bowser/Bowser Jr./Koopalings rule of Miyamoto's? I feel that the others might have a chance now that PAULINE of all characters is in a main game!
I'm feeling a little confident, but too confident. The reason why they've they bought back Pauline was to have a character that would fit in with New Donk City. And assuming this would make her take off as a character appearing in more spinoffs a la Rosalina, we will see if it does her any favors. I mean, no one would expect the likes of Pauline even getting such a big role after being mostly Mario vs Donkey Kong nostalgia in the form of damsel. And I'm quite happy for her.

For a character like Daisy. It would depend if a team would want to revisit Sarasaland and do more with her character. It would be perfectly fair to bring back her kingdom if you plan on having her in a main Mario game. Or even have the story revolve around a new threat attacking her kingdom instead of Tatanga. Maybe Bwoser would want to expand his empire by taking over her country instead of attacking the Mushroom Kingdom all the time. Instead of being a damsel, she would be a helper (playable or non-playable).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I still want to see Mario in Daisy's dress.

It better not be a lazy palette swap in Odyssey.
This. I would be shocked if it didn't happen. Especially with every Amiibo in the world being supported in that game.

We can only hope. First, we have to see if Tezuka or any of the other big Mario faces would be bold enough to break from Miyamoto's draconic "his creations goes first rule" (that sadly plagues Paper Mario these days). If someone likes Sarasaland and wants to pitch the idea of the game being made for Daisy to get a big tole, it would be up to Shigeru to have the final say or even Tatsumi.

I mean, Daisy is a pretty popular character, just like Waluigi, for a character with only spinoff appearance. Imagine how much buzz she can get if she appeared in a 3D Mario game one day in the vein of Pauline, bonus points for an unlockable playable role like Rosalina. But I would prefer both to happen since it would be in the headlines and media more. It's only matter of when soemone will actually stand up to Miyamoto and propose the idea of reviving her original roots and kingdom.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I wish Afro the best of luck on his future endeavors.

I have to ask you not to steal this set though, not without the addendum that makes this set ten times better!

Daisy would be able to spin her cap into place by holding the B button after the hat is thrown.
Moe-Eye statues would be send the other way if they were barging at Daisy without going into sunglasses mode.
It also gives Daisy a second mid-air jump as she can jump off of the hat.
The best tactic of course would be to overwhelm the opponent by sending a Moe-Eye right back at them, only to join the fray up close and personal by jumping in with the hat.
Furthermore this gives Daisy a way to almost match Kirby in jumps, with the Jaxi, Hat Jump and Flower Trampoline all helping her recovery on top of her default mid-air jump.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
This. I would be shocked if it didn't happen. Especially with every Amiibo in the world being supported in that game.
In fairness, this doesn't necessarily mean that there will be custom outfits for every Amiibo, though. ;) I doubt that they're going to want to pay licensing fees to various outside companies for every copy of Super Mario Odyssey that's sold, in the case of third-party Amiibo.

I suspect that "supports every Amiibo" will be implemented in the same fashion as Kirby: Planet Robobot, or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, with a number of first-party Amiibo doing something special, and the rest having a random effect.

Of course, since Daisy has a Super Mario Series Amiibo, that does put her on the list of Amiibo that're likely to do something notable. :grin:

It's only matter of when soemone will actually stand up to Miyamoto and propose the idea of reviving her original roots and kingdom.
And given how, according to the Super Mario Odyssey team, Miyamoto has been agreeable about everything that they proposed, I don't think that this is quite such a distant concept anymore.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And given how, according to the Super Mario Odyssey team, Miyamoto has been agreeable about everything that they proposed, I don't think that this is quite such a distant concept anymore.
Precisely. What is a dream could be a reality if we can just wait on someone to propose the idea of brining back Sarasaland and giving Daisy that big role she deserves.

It's only a matter of time of when it happens. Either after Odyssey
or the next 3D Mario game after that. I just hope the wait for it won't be so long.

http://m.webtoons.com/en/challenge/...-oh-daisy/viewer?title_no=57026&episode_no=70

This one is Not safe for work or children. Click at you own risk.
Crikey, I haven't laughed this hard since the Jurassic Park Odyssey video.

That even sounds like something Mario would do in the first place. Poor Luigi.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing.

Yes, I had to make that joke about the comic. :troll:
Heh, you make it sound like he didn't win in the first place by winning Daisy's heart beforehand.

Even when it was Mario who saved her in the first place. Yet she felt Luigi was a better match for her.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Here's a crazy question for you: Should Daisy appear in Odyssey or any future mainline Mario, should she get a redesign?

Not a drastic one, but rather something like how they rethemed Pauline's clothes to better fit the mayor role. So, if Daisy were the princess of the Sand Kingdom, or the more middle-eastern inspired Sarasaland, should she lose her classic dress for something more fitting?

In my opinion, an Arabian-styled costume for Daisy as ruler of either Kingdom would give her something more to separate her from simply being "Peach #2" to many people. I wouldn't go full-on belly-dancer / Shantae, but I wouldn't necessarily say she be covered head-to-toe, hijab included. Some kind of happy medium where she's just as modest as Peach, but with a unique flair.

I'd also give Sarasaland a bit more background, and give her people to rule over. Much like how Peach leads the Toads, I think Daisy should lead the Pokeys. A desert-based enemy with a flower motif makes too much sense. Perhaps throw in some other Super Mario Bros. 2 enemies like Shy Guys and Birdos, as the entirety of the game was originally based around Arabian characters. Maybe Wart is Daisy's Bowser? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here. But combining the wackiness of Super Mario Land and Super Mario Bros. 2 into one Arabian kingdom just makes a lot of sense.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Here's a crazy question for you: Should Daisy appear in Odyssey or any future mainline Mario, should she get a redesign?

Not a drastic one, but rather something like how they rethemed Pauline's clothes to better fit the mayor role. So, if Daisy were the princess of the Sand Kingdom, or the more middle-eastern inspired Sarasaland, should she lose her classic dress for something more fitting?

In my opinion, an Arabian-styled costume for Daisy as ruler of either Kingdom would give her something more to separate her from simply being "Peach #2" to many people. I wouldn't go full-on belly-dancer / Shantae, but I wouldn't necessarily say she be covered head-to-toe, hijab included. Some kind of happy medium where she's just as modest as Peach, but with a unique flair.

I'd also give Sarasaland a bit more background, and give her people to rule over. Much like how Peach leads the Toads, I think Daisy should lead the Pokeys. A desert-based enemy with a flower motif makes too much sense. Perhaps throw in some other Super Mario Bros. 2 enemies like Shy Guys and Birdos, as the entirety of the game was originally based around Arabian characters. Maybe Wart is Daisy's Bowser? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here. But combining the wackiness of Super Mario Land and Super Mario Bros. 2 into one Arabian kingdom just makes a lot of sense.
Actually, I quite agree with this idea. She would likely have to wear something far more fitting for the region she rules. That sort of happy medium beteen traditional desert garb and modest is something that can work with her character. I'm definitely not against a redesign if it means fleshing out her character more in new game or hypothetically Odyssey (even a sequel similar to it).

She's been in need of her own personal subjects for a long time since we never really knew about them. The Pokeys can definitely work as well as the Shy Guys (since they work for literally anyone depending on the game) and maybe the Cobrats. Birdos could be there too if it means that she can have a decent role in Sarasaland. There's just a lot to do with Sarasaland that needs more fleshing out thank just bringing back most of the SML enemies. Some can work like the Pionpis, others not so much (like the Bombshell Koopas).

More background and a free new look for Daisy will be needed for a future revival in a 3D Mario game.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord

I saw this on tumblr years ago and I still think about it.
I've thought for quite some time about how the girls (especially Daisy) could be redesigned to be further differentiated. It doesn't even have to be anything like that image, as there are many ways to go about a redesign that can make Sarasaland feel culturally distinct and different from the Mushroom Kingdom. I'm really liking the idea of Pokeys being the typical residents, though pretty much any flower-based characters could work really well and suit her.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Daisy should have a redesign but not the full Princess Jasmine look that all the redesigns I've seen give her. Of the "Kingdoms" (I'm sure that's just the MK-verse word for county at this point) she presides over there's ones based on Egypt (where the misplaced Arabian Nights look comes from I guess), one based on the lost continent of Mu (basically an entire suposed landmass that spanned the Pacific Ocean), one based on Easter Island (does that mean Sonic was born in Sarasaland?) and one based on Ancient China. If we discount Muta, Daisy's design should encompass: Ancient Egyptian, Polynesian and Chinese design elements.

Now that's a design challenge...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think Daisy should have a redesign but not the full Princess Jasmine look that all the redesigns I've seen give her. Of the "Kingdoms" (I'm sure that's just the MK-verse word for county at this point) she presides over there's ones based on Egypt (where the misplaced Arabian Nights look comes from I guess), one based on the lost continent of Mu (basically an entire suposed landmass that spanned the Pacific Ocean), one based on Easter Island (does that mean Sonic was born in Sarasaland?) and one based on Ancient China. If we discount Muta, Daisy's design should encompass: Ancient Egyptian, Polynesian and Chinese design elements.

Now that's a design challenge...
That sounds interesting, I might give this one a try when I get the time.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Maybe Wart is Daisy's Bowser?
I have to say, I really like this idea. Not just because I run the Wart support-thread (:laugh:), but also because, by virtue of the story setup behind him and his appearances (after Super Mario Bros. 2, he fled to another dream-world to lie low for a while - this being Koholint Island from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening), Wart actually has to exist in real-life, outside of the dream realms, the same as the characters he's fought do.

Wart hasn't been seen in real-life yet, and the idea that he'd be Sarasaland's equivalent to Bowser is a really charming one for that reason, and would nicely explain why he's been able to stay hidden, since Sarasaland is relatively unexplored.

She's been in need of her own personal subjects for a long time since we never really knew about them.
I thought that Super Mario Land had it so that the enemies you encounter are her subjects, under Tatanga's hypnosis? :confused:

That sounds interesting, I might give this one a try when I get the time.
I'd really like to see this. Best of luck with it! :grin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom