• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hello Aaron. Glad you can make it mate. At least we can certainly talk more in the Kutthroat's Hangout.

Nothing wrong with that. Strikers only got nothing but trophies in Brawl and nada in Smash 4, which is small when they have enough material to pull. The Striker outfits would work well enough as costumes for the Mario characters. Hell, even a stadium from Charged would be a unique stage with the electrical walls.

If there was an opportunity to choose a spinoff outfit for Daisy instead of the dress, that would be my choice too.
Why are we talking about something as awesome as Strikers in spoilers.

The trophies were cool, but I agree that we need more content from them and the Soccer Ball item doesn't cut it. A costume (for Daisy for another Mario character) would be nice or even one of the many fields. That spinoff has enough material going for it, even music like this.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hello Aaron. Glad you can make it mate. At least we can certainly talk more in the Kutthroat's Hangout.

Why are we talking about something as awesome as Strikers in spoilers.

The trophies were cool, but I agree that we need more content from them and the Soccer Ball item doesn't cut it. A costume (for Daisy for another Mario character) would be nice or even one of the many fields. That spinoff has enough material going for it, even music like this.

You know what they say, the more the merrier.

Charged or Super Mario, any Strikers song in Smash would be cool.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The trophies were cool, but I agree that we need more content from them and the Soccer Ball item doesn't cut it. A costume (for Daisy for another Mario character) would be nice or even one of the many fields.
I must admit, I didn't realise what it was supposed to be from for a long time. Until sometime last year, I'd actually thought that it was a reference to the balls that could sometimes be found on the ground and kicked around in the GameCube installment of Animal Crossing! :laugh:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I must admit, I didn't realise what it was supposed to be from for a long time. Until sometime last year, I'd actually thought that it was a reference to the balls that could sometimes be found on the ground and kicked around in the GameCube installment of Animal Crossing! :laugh:

Unless Animal Crossing balls were meant to catch on fire when kicked, I doubt they were supposed to be a AC item.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Unless Animal Crossing balls were meant to catch on fire when kicked, I doubt they were supposed to be a AC item.
If memory serves, you can send the ones from Animal Crossing rolling off at quite a speed, though. That's why I misidentified the Smash item - I just thought that the fire was a visual effect meant to indicate speed and force. :laugh:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If memory serves, you can send the ones from Animal Crossing rolling off at quite a speed, though. That's why I misidentified the Smash item - I just thought that the fire was a visual effect meant to indicate speed and force. :laugh:
It could be an amalgamation for all we know. The trophy specifically mentioned that it is from the NES game Soccer, but the Strikers' influence is still there with the catching on fire part. Still a pretty clever item introduced in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
So, is there any particular archetype that you'd like Daisy to fall into? For me it would be rushdown, since it would fit with her "In your face" attitude.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So, is there any particular archetype that you'd like Daisy to fall into? For me it would be rushdown, since it would fit with her "In your face" attitude.
Rushdown characters are fun, so why not?

But part of me wants her to be a combo heavy character to fit her "technique" class in her spinoff appearances.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'd actually imagine her to be like Diddy Kong a bit, being rushdown, but also having powerful items to give her options in item throw range.
This would also add to her "technique"-archetype in the sports games, since item play is considered very technical and she can always have high mobility and certain attack animations to convey her high energy personality.
I mean, look at Greninja, he's exactly the character he's supposed to be: Quick, hard to spot, impossible to catch, but not a character you'd run in and start a 60% combo with.
I think Sakurai could definitely make Daisy a high-energy, in-your-face character without her being another Mario/Pika-like character.
And I think the key to that is item play, referencing her sports affinity, the technique class and her relationship to Peach, who has one of the more technical item plays in the game.
She can then use certain sports props to smash the ball around, giving her high energy rapid volleys without being another combo char.

This is even easier to imagine with Peach as a base.
Peach uses her float to get in and out of range to do all kinds of turnips tricks, but this requires floating, which slows her speed.
Micro-spacing is key since the float is precise, but slow.
Daisy would of course ditch the float but would keep the throwing item with low range, meaning micro spacing is still key, this being where her mobility and mobility specials come into play, allowing Daisy to microspace less precise, but faster, making opponents tired just by looking at her jumps, runs and flower gliding shenanigans.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And some of them are quite the glass cannon I might add. Anyway reason I thought this would suit her is mainly because of her personality.
I'd actually imagine her to be like Diddy Kong a bit, being rushdown, but also having powerful items to give her options in item throw range.
This would also add to her "technique"-archetype in the sports games, since item play is considered very technical and she can always have high mobility and certain attack animations to convey her high energy personality.
I mean, look at Greninja, he's exactly the character he's supposed to be: Quick, hard to spot, impossible to catch, but not a character you'd run in and start a 60% combo with.
I think Sakurai could definitely make Daisy a high-energy, in-your-face character without her being another Mario/Pika-like character.
And I think the key to that is item play, referencing her sports affinity, the technique class and her relationship to Peach, who has one of the more technical item plays in the game.
She can then use certain sports props to smash the ball around, giving her high energy rapid volleys without being another combo char.

This is even easier to imagine with Peach as a base.
Peach uses her float to get in and out of range to do all kinds of turnips tricks, but this requires floating, which slows her speed.
Micro-spacing is key since the float is precise, but slow.
Daisy would of course ditch the float but would keep the throwing item with low range, meaning micro spacing is still key, this being where her mobility and mobility specials come into play, allowing Daisy to microspace less precise, but faster, making opponents tired just by looking at her jumps, runs and flower gliding shenanigans.
To be perfectly honest, I'll actually be fine with whatever, as long as it represents her well, and as long as it doesn't encourage boring evasive play.

There's nothing duller in a fighting game than getting stuck with an opponent who just runs away, leaps forward whilst attacking and pulls back whilst landing, and who never actually engages you in combat, instead just wanting or even expecting you to run into their half-hearted flailing at thin air half a mile away from you. :rolleyes: Those sorts are super-easy to beat, and super-uninteresting to fight, in ways that amazingly defeat the object of playing a fighting game.

As long as Daisy doesn't encourage that, I'm happy.

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever , your description would be very interesting if implemented fairly! I like that! :grin:

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
To be perfectly honest, I'll actually be fine with whatever, as long as it represents her well, and as long as it doesn't encourage boring evasive play.

There's nothing duller in a fighting game than getting stuck with an opponent who just runs away, leaps forward whilst attacking and pulls back whilst landing, and who never actually engages you in combat, instead just wanting or even expecting you to run into their half-hearted flailing at thin air half a mile away from you. :rolleyes: Those sorts are super-easy to beat, and super-uninteresting to fight, in ways that amazingly defeat the object of playing a fighting game.

As long as Daisy doesn't encourage that, I'm happy.

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever , your description would be very interesting if implemented fairly! I like that! :grin:
She would have to engage in combat though, as her projectiles would be like Turnips, requiring strict spacing (and with their low range, that wouldn't be "stand as far away as possible to hit") or a positional advantage to work

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
She would have to engage in combat though, as her projectiles would be like Turnips, requiring strict spacing (and with their low range, that wouldn't be "stand as far away as possible to hit") or a positional advantage to work
That would be perfect. I don't care if she's a rushdowner or whatever else, as long as the gameplay balancing works. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
Hey guys. Been a while. As always, Daisy for Smash!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey guys. Been a while. As always, Daisy for Smash!
Good to see you again Ikenna. Today is a fun day when you get to play a Switch for the first time. Imagine myself Mario Kart racing with one of you in a month.

Adding you to the list fellow supporter. ;)

Contributing to the topic, which playstyle would you want Daisy to have?

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
I'd imagine Daisy being a zone-breaker like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus, maybe tougher. Seems right up her alley.

These characters are formidable combatants as they have a bit of everything, combining Rushdown, Pressurer, Hit & Run and Mix-Up tactics. They can quickly disrupt opponents with their high speed and combos, completely dominating the battlefield while maintaining a safe approach.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd imagine Daisy being a zone-breaker like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus, maybe tougher. Seems right up her alley.
Interesting. This something that would fit than making her a straight up rushdown character. She is fast, athletic, and all about scoring hits. So it fits.

Not that it would make her top tier. Or would she? :smash:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This is what I meant by having Daisy as a combo heavy character.

But at least the general term is what I'm looking for. Welcome back mate.

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
Thanks. I wonder if that playstyle would fit in all the crystal, flower powers, and equipment/items from the spinoff games to make good use of the source materials though. Gah, these different ways to make Daisy fight and look. Difficult to imagine a unified moveset, and some people say she would be a Peach clone without any research. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Thanks. I wonder if that playstyle would fit in all the crystal, flower powers, and equipment/items from the spinoff games to make good use of the source materials though. Gah, these different ways to make Daisy fight and look. Difficult to imagine a unified moveset, and some people say she would be a Peach clone without any research. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The hardest part of making movesets is finding a playstyle that fits it and making the moves fit it. At least wth Zamus, her Paralyzer is good for studding the opponent to leave room for an aerial assault. Finding out which of Daisy's abilities would fit would be interesting.

Pretty much. Some things can be cloned with Daisy, other things can't (like the Parasol, Vegetables, and Toad Move). Takes me back to the days when we'd make clone movesets for fun and satire. Daisy Hunt and Zero Suit Daisy being my favorite.

Last edited:

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
The hardest part of making movesets is finding a playstyle that fits it and making the moves fit it. At least wth Zamus, her Paralyzer is good for studding the opponent to leave room for an aerial assault. Finding out which of Daisy's abilities would fit would be interesting.

Pretty much. Some things can be cloned with Daisy, other things can't (like the Parasol, Vegetables, and Toad Move). Takes me back to the days when we'd make clone movesets for fun and satire. Daisy Hunt and Zero Suit Daisy being my favorite.
Oh yeah? Someone have got to have mentioned kart/bike for her like she's Wario or Bowser Jr. :o

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

*raises hand*

I love making movesets too, but damn. Thinking of a playstyle is the hardest part for me. This is especially when it involves more complicated characters like Istuki Aoi. Good luck to whoever thinks of the playstyle first them start with the moveset from there.

Good times. Did I make one? I'm not sure if I remembered it.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh yeah? Someone have got to have mentioned kart/bike for her like she's Wario or Bowser Jr. :o
I'm now picturing a Daisy using actual farts to propel herself or chomping on people with an enlarged head. The image is, not very pretty to say...

That's why she should never be a Wario clone.

*raises hand*

I love making movesets too, but damn. Thinking of a playstyle is the hardest part for me. This is especially when it involves more complicated characters like Istuki Aoi. Good luck to whoever thinks of the playstyle first them start with the moveset from there.

Good times. Did I make one? I'm not sure if I remembered it.
Not sure. I think you did make her a Bowser clone with the Whirling Daisy. Or was it a R.O.B. clone with Mario Party lasers?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm now picturing a Daisy using actual farts to propel herself or chomping on people with an enlarged head. The image is, not very pretty to say...

That's why she should never be a Wario clone.

Not sure. I think you did make her a Bowser clone with the Whirling Daisy. Or was it a R.O.B. clone with Mario Party lasers?
Yeah. Nightmare Fuel indeed. :urg:

It probably was a R.O.B. moveset. Been so long since we played that game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The dark side of Deviantart rears it's head again.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
o-o I think I won't sleep again, and like Guybrush said, that's mostly what that certain side of DA shows....it's horrendous.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
o-o I think I won't sleep again, and like Guybrush said, that's mostly what that certain side of DA shows....it's horrendous.
Aaaaaaaand let's move on to a new topic.

Should Daisy have any form of projectile, traps, or both in her moveset?

It can be anything, like balls (Super or sports ones) or Mario Party stuff.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

I think at least one projectile or even a trap would be need to defend herself against rushdown and zone-breaker characters. She would have no other option than dodging or rolling from them when they charge. Or having to keep up with them in a round.

Stuff that suits her depending on the origins should work. Super Mario Land stuff? Superballs. Mario Party? Use a Dice Block or mini game weapon. Mario Kart? Fake Item Boxes. Strikers? Soccerball. Baseball? Special pitches and moves.

Luminario

Smash Lord

I really liked Guybrush20X6's idea a few pages back
Here's an idea that takes inspiration from three games in the one move. Daisy's neutral B being a projectile that can be angled. No input is a Straight ball (Baseball), angled up is a high serve (Tennis) and down is a Super Ball (Super Mario Land)
It's versatile and references 3 major Daisy games.
I also thought she could be the trap character of the game using her flower power to set down a bud that pops into a flower if it's stepped on.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122

I agree with Guybrush's moveset for the most part but if I had to give her one, I'd say the dice as a form of trap, since :4peach: already has a projectile, why not give her another difference?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think at least one projectile or even a trap would be need to defend herself against rushdown and zone-breaker characters.
I have to agree with Aussie, here.

I'm a big proponent of one versatile combined projectile/pressure-tool, myself, so my penguin-bias insists that I stick with the Superball idea that I laid out a couple of days ago. :laugh: It would behave - surprise surprise - like Super Mario Land's Superball, but with the added advantage of Gordo-like input-alterations to change its bounces/angle, to keep opponents on their toes, or put them where you want them. Or both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom