• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Toon Link's only as much of a clone as Wolf. They are semi-clones. And besides, Daisy could have a sports inspired moveset that doesn't copy Peach.

D

Deleted member

I'm more supportive of Daisy as a proper Peach alt, new name and model swap.
But I wouldn't mind if she became her own character. Maybe the team will have extra time, and Daisy will be the new Dark Pit.
When I think of what's *most likely* to get Daisy in Smash, as much as it may be disappointing to some, I imagine it will be in the form of a clone in the vein of Dark Pit.

Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario were all converted from alt costumes to clones for very practical reasons, such as Dr. Mario using Dr. Tornado, Dark Pit not using Pit's Final Smash, and Lucina's different body proportions, among other things. So they're glorified alt costumes, really, and that's great.

I could see Daisy being a 'glorified alt costume' in the same vein due to similar reasons a true alt costume wouldn't make as much sense, such as using Peach's Final Smash, the Frying Pan, Toad, and maybe the heart effects (which can be replaced with flowers). Peach wears sports outfits just as much as Daisy, and Daisy also wears a dress (and did so in Super Mario Run), and I think I wouldn't want to have her appear without her dress as an option at least.

Sakurai knew that a big character reveal of DARK PIT as his own character would not draw in the crowds. But added in as a bonus clone character? Sure! As much as it pains me to say it, Daisy just isn't as popular as Rosalina was in her day or Pauline in the current day, so Daisy's not going to make for an amazing new character reveal and addition to the roster. But as an upgrade of an alt costume? A clone that takes minimal effort but will please fans without drawing criticism from the Daisy haters? Yeah, I can see that happening.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
There would always be controversy about clones. And I'm seeing people everywhere hating on Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina for being glorified alt costumes taking their own slots. I personally don't mind clones that much. In fact, I like Lucina. But characters who share a slot as an alt costume with a different name? Nope, they need to be a separate part of the roster. Make Alph into his own character and cut the Koopalings. Have each clone evolve into their own fighter. And as for Daisy, make her moveset completely different from Peach. Give her athletic shorts to make sure her running animation is different. She doesn't have a parasol, so her up special should be a tennis spike. Her down special should be a golf putt. Her neutral special should be Charged Striker (where she kicks a Soccer Ball from Strikers Charged into the opponent. Her neutral attacks, instead of slaps should be punches. She could use a bat for her smash attacks. The only thing that should be copied from Peach is the hover, because floating girls look hot and you get a whole matrix vibe when you attack while floating.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Honestly most of the people on Reddit and Gamefaqs who are against Daisy can't think of any good or valid reasons for why she shouldn't be playable in Smash Bros. Waluigi being more popular doesn't mean he'll 100% be picked over Daisy. It's honestly really sad that they treat every single Daisy fan so terribly because of one annoying Daisy fan.
Then there's also the fact that sites like those are notorious for their meme preference, which Wa to some extend falls into.

D

Deleted member

Then there's also the fact that sites like those are notorious for their meme preference, which Wa to some extend falls into.
To this day I don't understand why shouting "WAAA" is funny and acceptable but quoting "Hi I'm Daisy" is unbearably annoying and intolerable. Sexism? Seriously, I don't understand.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
"Waa?" It sounds like a baby crying. That's totally annoying. Just simply introducing yourself should be more acceptable. Maybe it's the volume since Daisy shrieks like a Banshee and Waluigi sounds more like Wario but a slightly higher pitch in his voice. At least it's not like the Rabbids in Rabbids Invasion. That show was unwatchable and I can't stand to see any Rabbids put in Smash.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I love Daisy but Wario is basically a walking meme. I think the Wahing is hilarious personally.

Daisy isn't supposed to be a meme and her most iconic and heard voiceline being her introducing herself...isn't funny. I don't have the Daisy mod anymore just because everytime I play her I'm greeted with "Hi, I'm Daisy!" Like, I know. You don't need to keep saying that. There is no way she wouldn't be saying something more interesting here.

I'm sorry but it is really obnoxious. I still love Daisy don't hurt me.

D

Deleted member

Maybe it's the volume since Daisy shrieks like a Banshee and Waluigi sounds more like Wario but a slightly higher pitch in his voice.
But...Daisy doesn't shriek like a banshee, that's the thing. It's like a female voice can't be tolerated unless it's muted and nigh expressionless, as in Peach and (especially) Rosalina? *exclaims in monotone:* woohoo!

Mario has a high-pitched voice and is constantly shouting "yipee! yahoo! wahaa!" but that's not annoying. Suddenly Deanna Mustard does it and it's annoying now? o.O

Daisy isn't supposed to be a meme and her most iconic and heard voiceline being her introducing herself...isn't funny. I don't have the Daisy mod anymore just because everytime I play her I'm greeted with "Hi, I'm Daisy!" Like, I know. You don't need to keep saying that. There is no way she wouldn't be saying something more interesting here.

I'm sorry but it is really obnoxious. I still love Daisy don't hurt me.
That punchline comes from ONE game, Mario Kart Double Dash!! which is still in my opinion THE BEST Mario Kart game. It introduced so many new characters over Mario Kart 64, added character specials, new battle modes, and freaking two characters per kart!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! It's so good!!!!! Daisy came into the spotlight through that game probably more than any other that generation, and she was simply adorable. Switching Peach and Daisy back and forth (hence the constant 'Peach!' 'Hi I'm Daisy!' "Peach!' 'Hi I'm Daisy!') was just something funny people did back then and it's only annoying now to people who didn't grow up with that game, it seems.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
But...Daisy doesn't shriek like a banshee, that's the thing. It's like a female voice can't be tolerated unless it's muted and nigh expressionless, as in Peach and (especially) Rosalina? *exclaims in monotone:* woohoo!

Mario has a high-pitched voice and is constantly shouting "yipee! yahoo! wahaa!" but that's not annoying. Suddenly Deanna Mustard does it and it's annoying now? o.O

That punchline comes from ONE game, Mario Kart Double Dash!! which is still in my opinion THE BEST Mario Kart game. It introduced so many new characters over Mario Kart 64, added character specials, new battle modes, and freaking two characters per kart!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! It's so good!!!!! Daisy came into the spotlight through that game probably more than any other that generation, and she was simply adorable. Switching Peach and Daisy back and forth (hence the constant 'Peach!' 'Hi I'm Daisy!' "Peach!' 'Hi I'm Daisy!') was just something funny people did back then and it's only annoying now to people who didn't grow up with that game, it seems.
I played Double Dash! actually. Its still obnoxious and overdone. Everything originates from something I don't really get your argument.

Its pointless anyway because its an opinion. She's a badass tomboy Princess, surely she can find something far more interesting to say than "Hi."

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think the whole "Hi I'm Daisy" meme is blown out of proportion and overdone.

Probably the only fan here that never liked it.

Sure it's dead as Weegee, but that line alone truly tarnished her reputation for a while. Didn't help that even the Mario & Sonic games reused the clips.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I think the whole "Hi I'm Daisy" meme is blown out of proportion and overdone.

Probably the only fan here that never liked it.

Sure it's dead as Weegee, but that line alone truly tarnished her reputation for a while. Didn't help that even the Mario & Sonic games reused the clips.
Truer for the fact people love to use that against her despite like, as you have said, being a dead meme.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
I played Double Dash! actually. Its still obnoxious and overdone. Everything originates from something I don't really get your argument.

Its pointless anyway because its an opinion. She's a badass tomboy Princess, surely she can find something far more interesting to say than "Hi."
Every line in Mario Kart is overdone tho

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, I think we could revive the meme. Mario fans may be sick of the way she says it, but what about Smash Bros players who never played a Mario game? A taunt using that quote and people using it online a lot could make the meme more widespread.

SonicBoom403

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicBoom403
Switch FC
SW-0655-9229-9594
To this day I don't understand why shouting "WAAA" is funny and acceptable but quoting "Hi I'm Daisy" is unbearably annoying and intolerable. Sexism? Seriously, I don't understand.
Surprisingly I never found "Hi I'm Daisy" to be that annoying, and it's hardly reused in any games now. Maybe I find it a bit funny because I grew up with Double Dash? Some people act like this line is used in every Mario game Daisy is in, but it's hardly used in any of them. Meanwhile "WAH" is used in just about every game Wario and Waluigi appear in. It's more associated with Waluigi when it comes to memes though. I used to think the "WAH" thing was funny but at this point it's been so overdone that I think it's a bit annoying. It's spammed anywhere online where Waluigi is mentioned. There's a lot more annoying things in Mario games than Daisy introducing herself.

Exactly. I've been looking at the Smash Bros subreddit recently and Waluigi's been getting a lot of attention on there. He even won first place on a fan poll posted on there, even beating the likes of super popular picks like King K. Rool. But if you say anything positive about Daisy on there everyone gets triggered. I've made comments about Daisy on there and they were briefly downvoted just for saying something that wasn't harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Yeah...the thing is people are naturally influenced by the opinions of others and most people want to "fit in" with what is perceived as the majority opinion. People hear others saying they're annoyed by Daisy so they think, "Uh, yeah that's right, she IS annoying! Uh huh, that's certainly MY opinion as well!"

If you don't allow yourself to be caught up in the seemingly dominate collective view, you'll find that Daisy is objectively a spunky and cute Mario character and there's nothing annoying about her. Of course most people here agree I'm sure....

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yeah...the thing is people are naturally influenced by the opinions of others and most people want to "fit in" with what is perceived as the majority opinion. People hear others saying they're annoyed by Daisy so they think, "Uh, yeah that's right, she IS annoying! Uh huh, that's certainly MY opinion as well!"

If you don't allow yourself to be caught up in the seemingly dominate collective view, you'll find that Daisy is objectively a spunky and cute Mario character and there's nothing annoying about her. Of course most people here agree I'm sure....
Or you can have a completely seperate opinion that the one line is annoying but still like Daisy as a character.

I don't care if its a taunt, actually that sounds great. Just don't make it her entrance line. -.-

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Exactly. I've been looking at the Smash Bros subreddit recently and Waluigi's been getting a lot of attention on there. He even won first place on a fan poll posted on there, even beating the likes of super popular picks like King K. Rool. But if you say anything positive about Daisy on there everyone gets triggered. I've made comments about Daisy on there and they were briefly downvoted just for saying something that wasn't harsh.
I would explicitly say why that happens on Reddit, but the perpetrator is banned and we can't talk about banned users here.

But at least you get the idea either way.

SonicBoom403

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicBoom403
Switch FC
SW-0655-9229-9594
I would explicitly say why that happens on Reddit, but the perpetrator is banned and we can't talk about banned users here.

But at least you get the idea either way.
Yep, I know exactly who they are but that's all I'll say about that.

Or you can have a completely seperate opinion that the one line is annoying but still like Daisy as a character.

I don't care if its a taunt, actually that sounds great. Just don't make it her entrance line. -.-
I'd rather not have "Hi I'm Daisy" used in Smash Bros but at all but I can see it happening assuming they reuse voice clips from previous Mario games.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of annoying voice lines, I think Peach's Brawl voice was a nerf.

Melee: Suh-WEET!
Brawl: Sweet...

I know Brawl was the understated one but it's hardly a taunt any more.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice

Yeah I found that one quite weak, same for "Oh did I win?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This video came out a few days ago about the case for Daisy in Smash Switch. Check it out!

Mod Edit: Just embedding it for our viewing pleasure. If the video has any kind of swearing, please report the post itself and I'll fix it again. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I strongly feel this as a case to everyone in Brawl overall. Absolutely love the voicework of most chars in Melee, Brawl feels like it was a poor imitator (Like, Kirby's HIIII was apparently meant to be like Melee's, but was nerfed too for some reason)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I strongly feel this as a case to everyone in Brawl overall. Absolutely love the voicework of most chars in Melee, Brawl feels like it was a poor imitator (Like, Kirby's HIIII was apparently meant to be like Melee's, but was nerfed too for some reason)
Agreed.

Everything just felt so much weaker as far as voice work.

Imagine if Daisy was in Melee and her future appearances are nerfed. But I doubt that were the case if she were to join.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
This video came out a few days ago about the case for Daisy in Smash Switch. Check it out!

Mod Edit: Just embedding it for our viewing pleasure. If the video has any kind of swearing, please report the post itself and I'll fix it again. Thank you for your time.
If only discussions for Daisy in Smash where more civil like this.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

I'm going to strongly disagree here. Maybe that particular line doesn't have as much oomph but it's more than made up for with this

This is one of my favourite lines in the game. It burns so badly. She's rubbing it in your face. She knows she won, she just wants you to know to

In Melee, she seems genuinely surprised she won. It's comes across like she's more of a ditz than she actually is

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Side tilt, side smash, side special, what kind of side attack is it? I think you're implying a tilt, but it makes more sense as a smash.
A bat would realistically work as a lot of moves. Not having it as a forward smash (it was the forward/back air in my moveset) at least would differentiate Daisy from Ness.

BinWeevil28

Banned via Administration
Add ME to the support list. I saw this video about the top 5 reasons Daisy should get in to Smash and I am convinced!

It is such as a shame that loads of people consider her a no-hoper. People gave her undeserved flak in the Rate Their Chances thread, while Waluigi and others were rated fairly.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Add ME to the support list. I saw this video about the top 5 reasons Daisy should get in to Smash and I am convinced!

It is such as a shame that loads of people consider her a no-hoper. People gave her undeserved flak in the Rate Their Chances thread, while Waluigi and others were rated fairly.
Welcome to the list.

And I just may watch this video too just to see why it fully convinced you. It seems interesting.

SonicMario

Smash Master

No offense but I don't think that's exactly too convincing of a video. Here was their points and some reasons pointing against them

5. Female representation - Smash 4 had a huge jump comparably already from previous games (It used to be just Peach, Zelda, Samus, and Jigglypuff for the longest time). And even then, there are many other female characters that probably a little more likely then Daisy at the moment just for less competition and/or being more major to their series overall (Ex: Dixie Kong for Donkey Kong, Pyra being a part of a pair with Rex, etc.). More females is always good, but it’s not like Daisy is THE female rep to add.

4. Peach Alts - I don’t know about this point. But it still wouldn’t surprise me they just stick to the same Daisy-colored alt from Smash 4 as the best they do for her again aside from trophies. As they have done since Melee.

3. Super Mario Land Stage Being Planned - The Land stage turned into the Kirby Game Boy stage on 3DS. Was only changed because Sakurai thought there was a bit of an abundance of Mario stages already. Nothing to do with considered characters.

2. Spotlight - We’re still not sure Mario Run means quite as much as when Rosalina was added to 3D World. Mario Run’s a mobile game, a runner to be precise. It’s a much smaller budget game compared to 3D World which was the Wii U’s main 3D Mario game. They may be both in the mainline games according to an official site, but in terms of content and development time. 3D World is definitely the bigger game.

1. Mario Reps - There are characters suspiciously not referred to. Waluigi is there and even as someone who prefers Waluigi. I acknowledge that both Daisy and Waluigi have pretty similar chances (In I think both are nearly equally unlikely, Waluigi only having a slight edge since his popularity is a little more vocal regardless if it's memes or not). And the obscure Geno who Daisy by default is more likely. But there’s still Toad/Captain Toad and Paper Mario to contend with as well. Plus the possibility of Sakurai already being happy as is for Mario.

BinWeevil28

Banned via Administration
No offense but I don't think that's exactly too convincing of a video. Here was their points and some reasons pointing against them

5. Female representation - Smash 4 had a huge jump comparably already from previous games (It used to be just Peach, Zelda, Samus, and Jigglypuff for the longest time). And even then, there are many other female characters that probably a little more likely then Daisy at the moment just for less competition and/or being more major to their series overall (Ex: Dixie Kong for Donkey Kong, Pyra being a part of a pair with Rex, etc.). More females is always good, but it’s not like Daisy is THE female rep to add.

4. Peach Alts - I don’t know about this point. But it still wouldn’t surprise me they just stick to the same Daisy-colored alt from Smash 4 as the best they do for her again aside from trophies. As they have done since Melee.

3. Super Mario Land Stage Being Planned - The Land stage turned into the Kirby Game Boy stage on 3DS. Was only changed because Sakurai thought there was a bit of an abundance of Mario stages already. Nothing to do with considered characters.

2. Spotlight - We’re still not sure Mario Run means quite as much as when Rosalina was added to 3D World. Mario Run’s a mobile game, a runner to be precise. It’s a much smaller budget game compared to 3D World which was the Wii U’s main 3D Mario game. They may be both in the mainline games according to an official site, but in terms of content and development time. 3D World is definitely the bigger game.

1. Mario Reps - There are characters suspiciously not referred to. Waluigi is there and even as someone who prefers Waluigi. I acknowledge that both Daisy and Waluigi have pretty similar chances (In I think both are nearly equally unlikely, Waluigi only having a slight edge since his popularity is a little more vocal regardless if it's memes or not). And the obscure Geno who Daisy by default is more likely. But there’s still Toad/Captain Toad and Paper Mario to contend with as well. Plus the possibility of Sakurai already being happy as is for Mario.
1. How do we know that Dixie Kong is likelier than Daisy? She has been realtively ignored by Nintendo for years until very recently, in a game that has Cranky Kong and Funky Kong returning. She couldn't even get into Mario Kart Wii whilst Funky did. Sakurai may have considered her as part of Diddy's moveset, but not as a solo character.

2. The Peach alt looking less like Daisy all of the time is one thing, but Daisy got a lot more references in Smash 4 than she did in Brawl. That Mii costume that people champion with K Rool? Daisy was one of the few non Smash characters to get one in the base game. And they were not ripped directly from the Plaza.

3. I am honestly not sure about Captain Toad and Paper Mario making it in. Captain Toad doesn't seem like he could fight and Paper Mario is going to be a third Mario. Oh, and one of the reasons why I think Daisy might have an edge is because she is pretty much one of the only female Mario characters left to add who would make a viable fighter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom