• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy Discussion

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Daisy's a tomboy, but this isn't side of her isn't explore much. We get that she less poised and refined as Peach. We know that she's tough, very competitive and expressive. New people to her character, might not know of her being a tomboy, unless it mentioned. It seems being Sassy and energetic is her main personality traits. As mentioned, she has a girly and lady like side of her too.

The thing about Peach: I don't think they can change her even if they wanted to. She's stuck as mainly a generic damsel in distress/plot device in the main series. This maybe good for new players to the Mario Games. Honestly, with all the kidnappings and stuff that goes on, Peach should be over most of this stuff. Not necessary defending herself, but the screaming for Mario or Help me and always having to act surprised to situation. She can do without.
I think giving Peach a more mature sounding voice, will do a lot to help her character(be taken more seriously).

I don't know how they incorporate Daisy in the main games without her being a DiD. They can't her make capable without Peach being so, cause that will make Peach look horrible and completely useless. Daisy and Peach have differences, but comparable in some ways.

Last edited:

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
In reply to washyrose670.....of course it subjective, but according to Nintendo I think Daisy is meant to be the more beautiful of the two. In Mario Party 3 Story Mode you battle her for the beauty stamp. And looking at the two, her dress seems to be a more fancier version of Peach's, both the old and new design. She(Daisy) is also flower theme. Peach is obviously pretty, but I don't think she is meant to the best in this regards.
*rubs temples*

Sure, whatever.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
Daisy's a tomboy, but this isn't side of her isn't explore much. We get that she less poised and refined as Peach. We know that she's tough, very competitive and expressive. New people to her character, might not know of her being a tomboy, unless it mentioned. It seems being Sassy and energetic is her main personality traits. As mentioned, she has a girly and lady like side of her too.
I acutally think her tomboyish trait was explored enough but to notice it we must take under consideration several games in particular or some dialogue, like in Fortune Street when she admited her dream is to become an athlete or in games such as Mario Power Tennis where her tomboyish traits are more prominent. Strikers is the best example of tomboy Daisy we have, unfortunately those games are not reliable personality wise.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
This whole conversation of "which princess is more beautiful" is so stupidddddddddddd

beauty is subjective.
no one knows who nintendo "intended" to be more beautiful.
theyre both pretty ok.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This whole conversation of "which princess is more beautiful" is so stupidddddddddddd

beauty is subjective.
theyre both pretty ok.
Yeah, the subject needs to be dropped. There's no intention for one to be more than the other. They are each what they are, and beautiful in their own way, so let's leave it at that.

Too bad they play basically the same, but I guess that makes it people can just pick whichever they like best aesthetically, or personality wise.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122

beauty is subjective.
theyre both pretty ok.
Right. In my opinion just like who you like most and respect other people's opinions.

Lions’s Sin of Pride

Smash Rookie
I’ve always loved Daisy more than Peach and I want to use her badly but.... I don’t like her costume selection compared to Peach.
My favorite Daisy outfit is her default one and while it is cool and all.... Peach’s gold outfit is FIRE! Along with some other ones but that gold one.... yes! Haha

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I’ve always loved Daisy more than Peach and I want to use her badly but.... I don’t like her costume selection compared to Peach.
My favorite Daisy outfit is her default one and while it is cool and all.... Peach’s gold outfit is FIRE! Along with some other ones but that gold one.... yes! Haha
I like the red one and to a lesser extent the white one, but I almost never play her because her playstyle just doesn't click with me(I play rushdown, which is the opposite of her playstyle).

Lions’s Sin of Pride

Smash Rookie
I like the red one and to a lesser extent the white one, but I almost never play her because her playstyle just doesn't click with me(I play rushdown, which is the opposite of her playstyle).
For Peach? The red ones nice, white one, gold, black and gold- like damnit! I like all those! Lol
Isn’t Peach/Daisy one of those characters that you can play both a turtle and rushdown type of playstyle?

I’m pretty aggressive with her just because she can keep up so much pressure with her turnips, float cancel, aerial game, and decent tilt game. But when things aren’t going my way I know how to back off and analyze the situation so I can adapt to the fight.

I just personal like technical characters too. They are always the most rewarding to me.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
For Peach? The red ones nice, white one, gold, black and gold- like damnit! I like all those! Lol
Isn’t Peach/Daisy one of those characters that you can play both a turtle and rushdown type of playstyle?

I’m pretty aggressive with her just because she can keep up so much pressure with her turnips, float cancel, aerial game, and decent tilt game. But when things aren’t going my way I know how to back off and analyze the situation so I can adapt to the fight.

I just personal like technical characters too. They are always the most rewarding to me.
I meant Daisy. I play almost pure rushdown and technical characters were never my bread and butter.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
I believe for the most part that Daisy is a better character than Peach, I not taking about in Smash sense their the same. But in general. I think Nintendo just don't want to say it and confirm it. I think , if Nintendo knows most fans feel this way, they don't want it to be quite dead-end obvious. We don't know what Daisy does in her own Kingdom, but from what we know a very few times seen. She's very active and most likely have athletic prowess over Peach. In general it's better to be athletic/more of than less than not to. And n a situation where someone attempts to kidnapped her, many fans believe she be more willing to fight/ put up a fight even if her attempts were unsuccessful. Seems a though she has the potential to outshine Peach. Unless Peach has some good that we don't know about or hasn't been shown yet.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I believe for the most part that Daisy is a better character than Peach, I not taking about in Smash sense their the same. But in general. I think Nintendo just don't want to say it and confirm it. I think , if Nintendo knows most fans feel this way, they don't want it to be quite dead-end obvious. We don't know what Daisy does in her own Kingdom, but from what we know a very few times seen. She's very active and most likely have athletic prowess over Peach. In general it's better to be athletic/more of than less than not to. And n a situation where someone attempts to kidnapped her, many fans believe she be more willing to fight/ put up a fight even if her attempts were unsuccessful. Seems a though she has the potential to outshine Peach. Unless Peach has some good that we don't know about or hasn't been shown yet.
Unfortunately, unless Nintendo wants to give her more exposure, I can't see her getting more spotlight.

washyrose670

Smash Apprentice
I wonder who you prefer.

Peach was always intended to have a counterpart and was always meant to be an ingenue. I think it’s interesting how people against her blame her (fictional) over her creators. It’s not her fault she’s counterintuitive and dumb. She’s fake. So is Daisy. Clearly the opposite of weak and passive is strong and active. Nintendo even said Peach was supposed to have an evil counterpart. But instead they went with Daisy. A counterpart who is in the same alignment: quote good unquote.

To be fair, Nintendo actually said they do not see Peach as powerless:
http://shmuplations.com/mario20th/

TL;DR:
Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Princess Peach)
“She has never seen herself as “protected” by Mario. Our image of her is one of strength. Many of the developers came from homes where the Mother wears the boots, you know. (laughs)

As for Peach, we hope to keep using her in different games in the future.”

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
That is strongly subjective but I do like Daisy more than Peach, I mean to be fair, I absolutely hate Peach in main games and most of the RPGs, I hate how Nintendo portays her as a defendless stereotypical damsel in distress just to make the game lore work, they are so afraid to take risk and use her wisely. In Super Princess Peach, a game that looks cool at first I was like: "hey! The damsel becomes the hero? How cool!" but then I realized you can control her emotions with a BUTTON, what the hell Nintendo?
In spin-offs she is miles better.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
I always liked Peach for what she was. Not in the platformers but honestly those games just have bad stories in general? There's nothing really salvageable in them. I never cared about them and I certainly don't buy them. But in Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi and even some of the 3D Marios, she's portrayed as a pretty clever individual who is more reserved than stupid, a trait fitting a 'proper lady'. Honestly, Smash is the only place I've ever seen her portrayed in a manner that could be interpreted as 'stupid'. "Oh, did I win?". And even that's kinda... open to interpretation?

Really, Peach and Daisy share their tomboyishness. Peach is the one organizing all those sporting events and parties. It stands to reason that she's actually very sporty and at least a little competitive. Daisy is just a lot louder and less reserved about her competitiveness. There's also a scene from a Mario and Luigi game where we get some insight into Peach's inner thoughts, and it's revealed she would like to try cutting her hair shorter, but doesn't because she feels like that wouldn't be perceived as princess-like.

And, if I'm being quite honest, it's really just refreshing to have two characters that can be considered somewhat tomboyish while dressing up in beautiful dresses and jewelry and makeup. They both subvert western tomboy stereotypes really hard by having a depth of personality. They have somewhat tomboyish attitudes, and yet they still enjoy all these girly things. It's wonderful, and I'm glad they're friends unlike Mario/Luigi and Wario/Waluigi. They're actually really nice, subversive characters and it's weird to find them in a series like Mario. The royal girl friends are amazing and they're best enjoyed together imho. If either were removed, the other would suffer slightly for it.

Also, regarding Super Princess Peach. You may be able to control Peach's emotions with the push of a button, which at first might seem like a questionable theme. But... think about it from a different angle. Peach is the only person in that game who can control her own emotions. Her emotions are not out of control like a female stereotype. That actually describes her enemies. She's more weaponizing hers by choice and expressing her feelings all over Bowser to defeat him, which is absurd and maybe it does reference a female stereotype--but I feel like it doesn't really get portrayed in a demeaning way. In the same way that Peach getting kidnapped doesn't really offend me even though it lazily invokes the damsel in distress trope because well... if a metric ton of claws, spikes and muscles that breathes fire wanted to kidnap me, I could see myself choosing not to escalate that. I don't consider it brilliant writing, but it's not offensively bad y'know? It's a little confusing since it's established she's strong enough to defeat him, but y'know... Mario stories aren't really intended to be serialized. Like, one game generally isn't supposed to be canon to another outside of maybe the RPG series. I'll be the first to admit that it's kinda dumb, but that's how Miyamoto does stories for you. Every game is supposed to be enjoyed on its own without really considering the series as a whole, save maybe a couple of the RPGs. I kinda like Super Princess Peach because unlike most Mario platformers it has some story inspired gameplay quirks. From the basics of Peach saving Mario for once to Perry's inclusion as a partner character almost like one of the spin off RPGs to little missions in each stage that keep things more engaging like having to rescue toads.

Last edited:

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Don't mean to go of topic, but I didn't know where else to put this. I wish Nintendo had some form of Chinese Princess/ Royal Figure dress around traditional princess wear. Preferabaly a Cantonese one. Japanese can be pretty, but Cantonese can sound out right pretty and poetic in how it can be song especially in love/romance songs. No I don't understand a word of it. I just know the word for flower is fa and the Hanzi character. And they seem make a use of flowers. This seem to have potential , because she might look like she could give Daisy a seriously run for her money in a war over florals lol. But I already know one of Daisy kingdoms is Chinese theme Chai I believe. But I wouldn't want her to be a Mario Series Character. I want her to be more along line of the Zelda/Fire Emblem or Kid Icraus Series.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Don't mean to go of topic, but I didn't know where else to put this. I wish Nintendo had some form of Chinese Princess/ Royal Figure dress around traditional princess wear. Preferabaly a Cantonese one. Japanese can be pretty, but Cantonese can sound out right pretty and poetic in how it can be song especially in love/romance songs. No I don't understand a word of it. I just know the word for flower is fa and the Hanzi character. And they seem make a use of flowers. This seem to have potential , because she might look like she could give Daisy a seriously run for her money in a war over florals lol. But I already know one of Daisy kingdoms is Chinese theme Chai I believe. But I wouldn't want her to be a Mario Series Character. I want her to be more along line of the Zelda/Fire Emblem or Kid Icraus Series.
Or maybe just give Daisy said outfit in a hopeful future?

Slip33

Smash Cadet
The earing have to change and flowers patterns cause daises wouldn't work here and it can work.

Last edited:

Almand

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, it's weird question time!

I have absolutely no idea why, but one of my pastimes is just kinda making full-fledged Smash Bros. dream movesets (Pretty darn technical, down to frame data, knockback values, etc). So far, I've done Pichu and Daisy (what I wish they were in Smash, both made before Smash Ultimate was announced), and I'm working on a few others I dunno if I'll ever finish. Thing is, they're mostly just rotting in my Google Drive.

Which brings me to the strange question! It'll certainly be strange to post my own moveset now, but would anyone be actually interested? I just don't want this 9-page Doc to sit on my computer for years. I've already been working on it on and off since before the Inkling Trailer even happened, and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out since then!

Slip33

Smash Cadet
I know this going to make many people "mad", because people are really touchy about the Mario Couples. I talk to my sister about it and me and her agree that Mario and Daisy make very cute couple! They look good together: Mario's red goes well with Daisy's orange. And Red and Yellow makes the color orange. It seems if the two were together it be like a power couple. Also it seems Luigi looks good with Peach, pink and green goes well together. I wonder did Daisy had feelings or at least an interest in Mario when her rescue her, but found out that some else had his heart(Peach)?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hey all, it's weird question time!

I have absolutely no idea why, but one of my pastimes is just kinda making full-fledged Smash Bros. dream movesets (Pretty darn technical, down to frame data, knockback values, etc). So far, I've done Pichu and Daisy (what I wish they were in Smash, both made before Smash Ultimate was announced), and I'm working on a few others I dunno if I'll ever finish. Thing is, they're mostly just rotting in my Google Drive.

Which brings me to the strange question! It'll certainly be strange to post my own moveset now, but would anyone be actually interested? I just don't want this 9-page Doc to sit on my computer for years. I've already been working on it on and off since before the Inkling Trailer even happened, and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out since then!
You could check out Make Your Move on the General Ultimate Discussion forum, which is a contest centered around making movesets. The style is a bit different, gearing less towards technical stuff and more towards the more holistic things like playstyle and "flow", but it's close enough. The submissions are closed for this contest, but if you pop by the Discrd we'd be happy to welcome you.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Just to be clear: I don't mean for Daisy to drop Luigi and go for Mario. Honestly I honor Daisy and Luigi pairing. I just notice If just look at it Daisy and Mario do make a good couple. Their both brash and bold characters and sometimes opposites don't always attract. It's kind of funny, because in some of the old Japanese Mario comics(I forget with ones) Daisy and Peach have some dispute over Mario attention . And the reason why Luigi and Peach look good together is the pink/ green combination. You know why? Because Sailor Jupiter uses a pink/green combination and it looks good.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hey Daisy fans, do you have any idea what song plays in her trailer and what it's connection to her is?

Assuming Custom Stages Return, I wonder what I'll make her stage and what song to use. I'll probably have it with Pyramids and Flowers. Probably use the Mario Tennis/Golf theme if it returns. Could use The Mario Land Underground theme but I feel it's not really fitting aside from being from the same game. (I like to make custom stages for each character)
A man of my word, thought many of you would be interested

I decided to focus on her Cruiser, but Sarasaland is in the background. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Among my more detailed stages, and still available in 8-player!

Details you can't see in the picture.

The boat slightly rocks back and forth. And In the water is wind, to simulate swimming. There are numbers to help you recover if you're stuck.

The song is still the one I originally decided on, Mario Tennis / Golf.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Some good Daisy play in the World Championshps going on.

Too bad the commentators can't remember which Princess is which

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Some good Daisy play in the World Championshps going on.

Too bad the commentators can't remember which Princess is which
SuperGirlKels knows daisy ;p
She's competitive so maybe puts the two together since they play the same, haha.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Found this while looking through old posts. Looks like I called it in more ways than one.

Wow, two weeks of silence. We need a new topic.

How about this one, a common argument against Daisy & Waluigi is that it'd be going to far into the Mario Series representation. That got me wondering, what is the too far point? Fire Emblem has had so many casts over the years that even it's current representation of girlish sword guy, boyish sword guy, manly sword guy, magical sword guy/girl, actual sword girl and Jake Long: Noirian Dragon is only really scratching the surface. Heck some say Lucas's presence is over representing Mother.

As for Daisy, I belive the Mario series makes icons out of just about everyone in them. You could make a Koopa Troopa or a goomba into a Smasher and [eople would still play them. Daisy is really not that much of s stretch.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Spotted something interesting in the Mario Golf trailer

Zakawer2

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I hate the fact that Daisy is stuck with Peach's moveset in Ultimate and is forced to use it in its entirety without any meaningful gameplay differences. I don't have any serious issues with using Peach in this game, but I vehemently refuse to play as Daisy because Peach's moveset as is simply isn't a good fit for Daisy in the slightest. It's kinda weird because I like her as a character, I willingly play as Daisy in other Mario games where she's playable (including Super Mario Bros. Wonder), and my current Nintendo Switch profile icon is an image of her.

Top Bottom