• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sargasso Hideout - Wolf O'Donnell Support Thread

What voice do you prefer for Wolf?

• American (Star Fox: Assault & Smash Bros. Brawl)

Votes: 92 73.6%
  • British (Star Fox 64 & Star Fox Zero)

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
"Don't hesitate! When the time comes, just act!" - Wolf O'Donnell

#FreeWolf
Welcome to the Sargasso Hideout, also known as the Wolf Support Thread. This is the place you go to discuss all things Wolf O'Donnell. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself and get to know your fellow supporters. Now ladies and gentlemen, wipe the dust off your Wolfens, because Smash on Switch has been CONFIRMED!!!​

So, who is Wolf O'Donnell?
Wolf O'Donnell is a prominent anti-hero within the Star Fox universe. He's was in the previously cancelled Star Fox 2 for SNES, made his official debut in Star Fox 64, and has since been in Star Fox: Assault, Star Fox Command, Star Fox 64 3D, and Star Fox Zero. When it comes to Smash Bros, he was in Melee's opening, and a unique playable character back in Brawl. However, he was only a trophy in Smash 4, missing out on both the initial roster and the DLC.

Why should Wolf return?
As previously stated, Wolf O'Donnell was a unique playable character back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Yes, a unique character, not a clone or semi-clone. After all, Wolf shares less than a third of his moveset with Fox. Wolf was a slow, but strong character, ranked at 14, Tier C, on Brawl's most recent tier list. When he was left out of Smash 4, fans were pretty upset. When DLC was announced, many believed that he would be a shoo-in as DLC. However, that was not the case. After missing out in Smash 4, and with Star Fox Zero's less-than-stellar sales, its safe to say that Wolf may not make it in on relevance alone, so we need to band together and make sure Sakurai knows that we miss Wolf!

How do I show my support?
Glad you asked. For now, just sit tight here in the thread, and get discussion going. By making the Wolf supporters into an awesome community, more people will join in on there own volition. No recruiting necessary, but feel free to spread the word about this thread to your friends here on Smashboards, as well as on social media sites like Twitter. And now that Smash Bros. for Switch has been confirmed, let's get #FreeWolf trending once again!

However, remember this: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Many of us had our hopes held high with Smash 4's initial launch and DLC, but were let down pretty hard. Few even thought Wolf still had a chance even after Sakurai stated that there would be no more DLC. Lets try to avoid that in the future. And lastly, as always, be sure to show respect for supporters of other characters, no matter if you agree if that character should be in Smash Bros. or not.

Anything else?
Actually, yes. As with the rest of Smashboards, there are global rules and forum rules you need to follow. Everything you see on those pages apply to this thread. As for the Wolf Support Thread in particular, I'll give you the run-down on what you can and cannot do around here. In no particular order:
  • Try and keep the topic in this thread about Wolf. I personally don't mind other topics, but the moderators do.
  • Every community has supporters and haters. Show respect to everyone, and don't fall for troll bait.
  • Give your posts purpose. Have at least one good sentence, and avoid media only posts.
  • Make sure everything you post is appropriate. NO inappropriate videos, images, etc. will be tolerated.
  • If you do slip up, I'll give you a friendly warning. Continue and the moderators will intervene.
  • If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!
Bonus Content

Wolf as he appeared back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-

Wolf (Upper left corner) as he appeared back in the opening cinematic for Super Smash Bros. Melee
-

Wolf's trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
-

Concept art of Wolf and his team from the formerly cancelled game, Star Fox 2
-
The "Wolf Appears!" cutscene from Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-
A Smash Wii U mod featuring Wolf with a fully functioning moveset
-
Note: To have your move posted, it must be logical and unique. Only two moves per special, per person.

:GCB: Neutral-Specials :GCB:
Originator | Name | Properties
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB | Quickdraw Blaster | "Less start-up time, and the shot fired travels faster. However, shot has less damage and no stun."
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB | Bayonet Charge | "Wolf whips out his blaster, and jabs it forward. The charge deals very high damage and knockback, but doesn't actually fire a shot."
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy | Paralyzing Blaster | "Fires a short-ranged blast that can't be reflected or absorbed. The blast paralyzes anyone who's hit, and the bayonet can still deal damage before the blast is fired."
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy | Piercing Blaster | "Fires a laser that can pass through multiple targets, but it deals less damage and knockback than the standard Blaster. The bayonet's damage output is unaffected."
FunAtParties FunAtParties | Laser Eye | "Shoots a thin laser out of his eye that spans across the length of the stage. Can be moved up and down for a short period of time. Decent damage/knockback if sweet spotted(initial blow), needs to be charged in order to avoid spamming."
@Foxy Alopex | Lightning Blaster | "Similar to his regular blaster but shoots lightning that stuns foes and knocks them back."
:GCL::GCB: Side-Specials :GCB::GCR:
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB | Wolf Dash | "Wolf travels further, and trajectory can be adjusted up or down. However, the attack deals no damage, and starts-up slowly."
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB | Wolf Pounce | "The attack begins as normal, with Wolf ascending to the same height, although half the distance. At the apex, Wolf charges at a downward angle, burying the victim."
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy | Wolf Burst | "The dash does not deal any damage, but an explosion will be made after the move ends, dealing damage to those who are hit. Deals more damage and knockback, but lacks the meteor smash properties that the standard Wolf Flash has. Additionally, Wolf only travels 3/4 the distance of the standard Wolf Flash, and he loses all horizontal momentum after using the move as well, which hinders its recovery potential."
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy | Wolf Phase | "Travels 25% farther than the standard Wolf Flash, but it doesn't deal any damage. Wolf won't take any damage while dashing, and he maintains some horizontal momentum after using the move, making it more effective for recovery than the other Wolf Flash variations."
@Foxy Alopex | Wolf Slash | "Again similar to Wolf Flash but uses his claws and travels farther and causes a meteor effect."
:GCU::GCB: Up-Specials :GCB::GCU:
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB | Wolf Charge | "Slow start-up and travel speed, but attack deals multiple hits before launching opponents at the end."
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB | Lightning Tornado | "This attack sends Wolf spiraling forward at high velocity. Wolf himself deals no damage, but leaves a brief static trail behind him that stuns enemies."
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy | Blazing Wolf | "Gives Wolf's kicks fire effects, enabling him to deal more damage than normal, with the final kick delivering high knockback if it connects. However, the move doesn't travel as far as the standard Fire Wolf (0.8x), and it halts Wolf's horizontal momentum upon ending."
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy | Fast Fire Wolf | "Executes quicker and travels farther (1.1x) than the standard Fire Wolf, but the kicks deal much less damage and knockback than normal. Wolf maintains some of his horizontal momentum after using the move, but he'll still enter a helpless state."
FunAtParties FunAtParties | Jetpack | "Wolf uses his Jetpack. Physics are very similar to FLUDD in Sunshine. Great horizontal movement, not so great vertical. Can be attacked out of."
:GCD::GCB: Down-Specials :GCB::GCD:
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB | Pulse Reflector | "Reflector lasts only a few frames before causing Wolf to short-hop afterward. Any projectiles reflected travel back at triple velocity, but with no bonus damage."
AlphaSSB AlphaSSB | Absorber | "Instead of reflecting, projectiles are absorbed and heal Wolf. Has high end-lag, and doesn't stall Wolf if used in air."
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy | Absorbing Reflector | "Absorbs projectiles instead of reflecting them. Wolf heals 50% of the damage that he would've taken from the projectiles, and it can't deal any damage. Only works on absorbable projectiles, however."
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy | Amplifying Reflector | "Reflected projectiles deal more damage than the standard Reflector (2.34x), but their initial speed boost is less powerful (1.08x). The startup lag and ending lag are also increased, and the reflector isn't able to deal any direct damage."
FunAtParties FunAtParties | Disable | "Inspired from Sombra's ultimate in Overwatch, imstead of reflecting, Wolf's shine now disables opponents specials for a short period of time. Larger hitbox, slight charge."
@Foxy Alopex | Howling Reflector | "Basic reflector but holding the button down builds up power which can leave him vulnerable but when releasing the button Wolf howls sending out a shockwave that stuns foes around him knocking them back."
Question | Dates Active | Results
Should Wolf return for Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo Switch? | 3/17/2017 - 4/9/2017 |
  • Yes: 100% (43 Votes)
  • No: 0% (0 Votes)
Note: An archive list with all 2000+ Wolf Supporters across previous installments can be found here.
  1. AlphaSSB AlphaSSB
  2. @[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]
  3. AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27
  4. A Distant Demon A Distant Demon
  5. Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar
  6. Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen
  7. MeleeMario64 MeleeMario64
  8. FunAtParties FunAtParties
  9. Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
  10. Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy
  11. N3ON N3ON
  12. Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma
  13. Megadoomer Megadoomer
  14. Mellos Mellos
  15. ThePsychoWolf ThePsychoWolf
  16. _Sheik _Sheik
  17. Diddy Kong Diddy Kong
  18. Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6
  19. Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin
  20. #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu
  21. Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime
  22. @Xeno VII
  23. @Xeno610
  24. @Tord the Red Leader
  25. @NonSpecificGuy
  26. @ErenJager
  27. @Nu~
  28. @Wolf29
  29. @Tino
  30. @Foxy Alopex
  31. @WhiteEaglePL
  32. @dangeraaron10
  33. @The Smash Nerd II.0.
  34. @jordansweeto
  35. @Kirbeh
  36. @Cyro_
  37. @Dastardly Ridleylash
  38. @Skyward
  39. @falcomaster925
  40. @RetroGamersGuru
  41. @Swampasaur
  42. @tjdmhem
  43. @Jason the Yoshi
  44. @UGXwolf
  45. @Fisher
  46. @Blue_Sword_Edge
  47. @eltacoenojado
  48. @Dr.Turtle
  49. @Nauzgo
  50. @KiyoXDragon
  51. @Krysco
  52. @AdmN30
  53. @Lampy
  54. @Dragoncharystary
  55. @electric mouse
  56. @MasterWarlord
  57. @Xsyven
  58. @Tonydrake
  59. @Logo12
  60. @GravelerChamp60
  61. @AnonymousMoon
  62. @CaptainAmerica
  63. @xWolfiex
  64. @Darkraid
  65. @Runic_SSB
  66. @DeiSakuChris
  67. @Brother AJ
  68. @MrRoidley
  69. @Basseidon
  70. @Slip33
  71. @Smashoperatingbuddy123
  72. @Tollhouse
  73. @Quillion
  74. @Shyy_Guy595
  75. @Cin726
  76. @Connery
  77. @CBO0tz
  78. @CrusherMania1592
  79. @Morbi
  80. @Hokori
  81. @MrReyes96
  82. @NintendoKnight
  83. @Darktheumbreon
  84. @MrGameguycolor
  85. @Icedragonadam *
  86. @psb123
  87. @Scoliosis Jones
  88. @Ura
  89. @Opossum
  90. @Quetzal77
  91. @Parallel_Falchion
  92. @Mr. Nintendo
  93. @Starcutter
  94. @Lukingordex
  95. @DaUsername
  96. @jamesster445
  97. @TheDukeofDorks
  98. @Fuzzy Pickles!
  99. @Strider_Bond00J
  100. @Basty
  101. @Arcanir
  102. @slambros
  103. @Aetheri
  104. @Mogu
  105. @SonicSmasher1
  106. @PushDustIn
  107. @Kitty-chan
  108. @TheSqushiestManatee
  109. @nirvanafan
  110. @a smart guy
  111. @Megaban
  112. @Organization XIII
  113. @FrozenRoy
  114. @MrNantendo
  115. @BandanaWaddleDee
  116. @YoshiandToad
  117. @Pepperoni_Lives
  118. @TCT~Phantom *
  119. @praline
  120. @VexTheHex
  121. @Chase_Doggie
  122. @Xibit.A
  123. @ShinyLegendary
  124. @Just a random scrub
  125. @PizzaShrek64
  126. @MoonlitIllusion
  127. @JV_Nerdson
  128. @AuraWielder
  129. @smash puffle
  130. @thethirdkoopa

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Still support Wolf as always.

We won't rest or eat until we get our favorite Star Wolf back. Come on Sakurai, don't fail us now.

Wolf getting cut was a shame. I admittedly would probably enjoy Slippy more, but I 100% want Wolf back in the game.

After SFZero releasing bringing him back to a recent position, I feel he stands a fair shot.

:061:

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Wolf getting cut was a shame. I admittedly would probably enjoy Slippy more, but I 100% want Wolf back in the game.

After SFZero releasing bringing him back to a recent position, I feel he stands a fair shot.

:061:
Welcome, Zebei! Added you to the supporters list. Congratulations on achieving Moderator, by the way!

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I have to throw in my support once again. Honestly aside from Mewtwo he's the only cut that really should have been avoided.

:094:
Agreed. Welcome back to the pack, Gengar. Added you to the supporters list.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I still support. Something just isn't right without Wolf there.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No veteran gets left behind.

I'm telling you, Smash just isn't completely right when Falco and Fox are the only Star Fox characters there. Wolf was fine the way he was, unless Sakurai saw him as low priority.

That still doesn't mean he should stay gone. I would like him to come back, with nothing real drastic changed to his old moveset since it's fine. It perfectly reflects his mercenary "wolf-like" nature.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did input some attribute adjustments for Wolf at a different thread.
  • Walk Initial Velocity: 0.2
  • Walk Acceleration: 0.1
  • Walk Speed: 1.43
  • Traction: 0.07
  • Dash Initial Velocity: 1.6
  • Dash Acceleration 1: 0.12
  • Dash Acceleration 2: 0.04
  • Run Speed: 1.72
  • Jump Height: 35
  • Hop Height: 17
  • Air Jump Height: 35
  • Air Acceleration: 0.08
  • Air Deceleration: 0.01
  • Air Speed: 1.24
  • Air Friction: 0.01
  • Gravity: 0.13
  • Falling Speed: 2
  • Gravity 2: 0.01
  • Fast-Falling Speed: 2.8
  • Weight: 102

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I honestly don't think Wolf will make it back, at least in the port, but I'd love to be proven wrong. He was a fun character I rotated in now and again.

His taunts were also fun.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Wow, MSG, that's a nice compilation of data. Mind if I edit that into the Brawl Wolf photo if I give you credit for compiling it together?

And you want me to go ahead and add you to the supporter's list? Figure I'd ask just to be 100% sure.

I honestly don't think Wolf will make it back, at least in the port, but I'd love to be proven wrong. He was a fun character I rotated in now and again.

His taunts were also fun.
I think Wolf has a decent chance to return in the port, but whether he actually will is a different story. Guess it all comes down to the number of characters who will end up being added in, assuming there will be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wow, MSG, that's a nice compilation of data. Mind if I edit that into the Brawl Wolf photo if I give you credit for compiling it together?

And you want me to go ahead and add you to the supporter's list? Figure I'd ask just to be 100% sure.
Be my guest. I was rather disappointed knowing that Wolf got the boot from Smash 3DS / Wii U anyway.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Could you post the before attributes as well possibly?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Could you post the before attributes as well possibly?
I'll just input the attributes that I've changed...
  • Walk Initial Velocity: 0.1 -> 0.2
  • Walk Speed: 1.3 -> 1.43
  • Run Speed: 1.4 -> 1.72
  • Air Speed: 1.222 -> 1.24
  • Air Friction: 0.004 -> 0.01
  • Falling Speed: 1.8 -> 2
  • Fast-Falling Speed: 1.9 -> 2.8
I can't properly compare jump heights, however, since the jump mechanics are apparently different between Brawl and Smash Wii U.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Wolf should definitely return; unlike Snake or Ice Climbers, there was never really a reason why he should have been cut in the first place, especially with Star Fox Zero coming out. (though I get that the game might not have been in production at the same time as Smash)

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
I still have high hopes. When Sakurai said in the final direct, that a lot of veterans were high in the ballot, I am sure he meant Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers. And while Snake might not make it back, I really hope the other two will.

Add me to the support list.
Boy, I can't wait for E3. I really long for some Smash News

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Been a while, but I've recently returned to the boards and was a frequent poster in the old Wolf support thread.
I was so close to having all of my favorite vets playable in one game. Wolf (and Ice Climbers) would make me 110% satisfied with this already stellar roster.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Alrighty, count me in again. I'm so glad I can partake in another Wolf support thread! #FreeWolf

Hopefully they make good use of his updated Star Fox Zero vehicle and make it his Final Smash instead of the landmaster.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wolf was awesome, I want him back. Would totally make him a secondary.

What was his role and model like in Star Fox Zero?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Wolf was awesome, I want him back. Would totally make him a secondary.

What was his role and model like in Star Fox Zero?
Others have already mentioned his role in the game, but here's two images of his model. Very low-res, unfortunately, as he was never meant to really be seen outside his Wolfen or the Comms.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One question, what voice? Gruff American Brawl or Cocky British Zero?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Gruff American Brawl. Always been more of a fan of Jay Ward's (SSBB) and Grant Goodeve's (Star Fox: Assault) interpretations of Wolf.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Hello! You probably don't remember me, but I was on the support-list last time. I'd like to be on it again this time, too. :grin:

I don't believe that Wolf should've been cut, and never did understand why he was. I'd like to see him return.

Gruff American Brawl. Always been more of a fan of Jay Ward's (SSBB) and Grant Goodeve's (Star Fox: Assault) interpretations of Wolf.
It's got to be Gruff American Brawl for me, too. I've also always leaned more towards the sort of depiction from Star Fox Assault.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If star fox zero was more loved then he would have a better shot but as it stands it looks like the game flopped due to many people not liking the motion controls forced on them along with two screens.

That's hurts his chances.

Shame since I did like the game.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
If star fox zero was more loved then he would have a better shot but as it stands it looks like the game flopped due to many people not liking the motion controls forced on them along with two screens.

That's hurts his chances.

Shame since I did like the game.
I enjoyed the game as well, but I understand the problems people had with it.

The motion controls didn't annoy me too much, but there were definitely times that it made the game much more difficult than it should've been. Piloting and aiming the Landmaster at the same time was pretty bad at times, and the Arwing Walker's controls were terrible as well. My number one complaint was that the game didn't really do anything to innovate Star Fox as a whole.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Both voices are sexy.

But something tells me they would go for his new British voice.

Unless they stick with the old Brawl voice for nostalgia's sake.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Both voices are sexy.

But something tells me they would go for his new British voice.

Unless they stick with the old Brawl voice for nostalgia's sake.
Could go either way. With permission from Jay Ward, they could simply recycle his voice clips from Brawl, or they could get Ja Green from Star Fox Zero and use his voice like they did Mike West for Fox and Mark Lund for Falco.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Eh, I don't really see SF Zero's reception hurting Wolf's chances, or at least that much. He was one of the better things about the game. At worst Zero is a less spectacular SF 64 (given the series' track record after 64, that's still an improvement), and even with the controls, while a valid criticism, the game was still plenty playable, at least for me.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Eh, I don't really see SF Zero's reception hurting Wolf's chances, or at least that much. He was one of the better things about the game. At worst Zero is a less spectacular SF 64 (given the series' track record after 64, that's still an improvement), and even with the controls, while a valid criticism, the game was still plenty playable, at least for me.
As an Assault fan, I'm triggered.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As an Assault fan, I'm triggered.
Hey, I liked all the games, minus maybe Command. Is my opinion and it's subjective really as to which titles outside of 64 are best or worst... Assault had great multiplayer and some things, but too many other cons like clunky ground combat, some of the voices, etc (the general consensus). Even as much a departure as Adventures was it still might be one of my favorites out of what we got, but doesn't mean I'm gonna defend it as a Star Fox game. You can differentiate between "it was good" and "I liked it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom