• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "The Saikyo Dojo" Ryu Metagame Discussion.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Does anyone know how many frames A must be held in order to get a heavy tilt? Specials?
6 frames for utilt
7 frames for ftilt, dtilt

Specials have to be held until the first active frame that differentiates power level (6f Shoryuken, 13f Hadouken, 10f Tatsumaki because the early 8-9f hit is always the same)

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
6 frames for utilt
7 frames for ftilt, dtilt

Specials have to be held until the first active frame that differentiates power level (6f Shoryuken, 13f Hadouken, 10f Tatsumaki because the early 8-9f hit is always the same)
Thanks. That helps a lot.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I want to promote a discussion on a big aspect of Smash that I feel Ryu really struggles with: jumps.
I think a big advantage the rest of the cast has over Ryu is their ability to influence their momentum during a jump. This can really be useful against Ryu by mixing up their trajectory during an attack, falling back to a position that Ryu can't punish upon landing, or create an aerial "forward-then-backward" wall of sorts with aerials or projectiles (think Pikachu's multi-hit Fair or neutral B, or Rosaluma's multi-hit aerials). This definitely makes getting into Ryu's advantage range and footsies battles difficult. Of course, we cannot boast that same advantage since our trajectory cannot be influenced to weave in and out in the air. This really makes committing our jumps an issue. I suppose our best bet would be to remain grounded. Sadly, I feel we have little option against projectile abusers such as Samus or Mewtwo; Samus can even bait jumps and keep up out with Zair. Mixing our jumps up with Focus Attack is an option, but I feel that opponents anticipate this strategy and have their ways around it (Samus' multi-hit Fair and Mewtwo's USmash, for instance).
Has anybody figured out a way to deal with these dilemmas?

Syx:

Smash Rookie
Been working on legit kill confirms. Tired of people who ACTUALLY PLAY THIS CHARACTER saying ridiculous things like Ryu has problems killing. **** is blatantly false. So far I have about 7 or so set-ups/confirms. I'm at work right now but I will post up later today.
Hey, I’m also a Ryu main. Wanna vs some time? I don’t find many Ryus anywhere, so it would be nice to play one.

Top Bottom