• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ryu Combo Guide

Guide The Ryu Combo Guide

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Swordmaster102 submitted a new resource:

The Ryu Combo Guide - For those looking to up their game with or learn Ryu.

The Ryu Combo Guide

Hello Everyone. I have created this combo guide for Ryu for anyone who wants to pick him up or just want to become better with him. I am a pretty old Ryu main (95% of my gameplay is with him), playing him since around the time of him being released in Smash 4, so I have poured all of my knowledge (also Ryu’s changes between games) into this guide. This guide is absolutely up for changes if new information about Ryu...
Read more about this resource...

Poalagra_t

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot for this, what a huge amount of work!

Is there a YT video/Channel that you recommend to get into the charachter better?

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Thanks a lot for this, what a huge amount of work!

Is there a YT video/Channel that you recommend to get into the charachter better?
Hi Poalagra_t!
I unfortunately do not know of a YouTube channel containing tech about Ultimate Ryu. There is plenty of Smash 4 videos for Ryu, but as far as I know, nothing is out for Ultimate Ryu currently.
When Smash 4 was still on the scene, there was this YouTube channel I watched for in-depth tech. I’ll leave a link to his channel, though it is from Smash 4 so some stuff (mainly the aerial combos because they nerfed them) will not work in Ultimate.
Sorry I couldn’t be of too much help!

There is a lot of videos for Ken currently on the other hand, but I know you’re looking for Ryu stuff. The primary reason there’s not much info out for Ryu right now is probably because most Ryu mains moved on to Ken. Though, if you just want to learn how to play Ryu in the neutral, you can watch Ken videos. Besides different main combos, Ken and Ryu are fairly similar.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBCmJgxi59OVOtT43mcOy4Q

Last edited:

Poalagra_t

Smash Rookie
Hi Poalagra_t!
I unfortunately do not know of a YouTube channel containing tech about Ultimate Ryu. There is plenty of Smash 4 videos for Ryu, but as far as I know, nothing is out for Ultimate Ryu currently.
When Smash 4 was still on the scene, there was this YouTube channel I watched for in-depth tech. I’ll leave a link to his channel, though it is from Smash 4 so some stuff (mainly the aerial combos because they nerfed them) will not work in Ultimate.
Sorry I couldn’t be of too much help!

There is a lot of videos for Ken currently on the other hand, but I know you’re looking for Ryu stuff. The primary reason there’s not much info out for Ryu right now is probably because most Ryu mains moved on to Ken. Though, if you just want to learn how to play Ryu in the neutral, you can watch Ken videos. Besides different main combos, Ken and Ryu are fairly similar.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBCmJgxi59OVOtT43mcOy4Q
Thank you so much, I’m about to spend my sunday grinding I guess :D

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Let me just attach some stuff to this.

Landing Nair -> Short hop Dair -> DP
does about 40 and works from 0-50 or so. You need to dash forward before the dair at mid late percent

far light ftilt (sweetspot) -> dash forward uptilt/jab -> stuff
the only ftilt hitbox that combos is the one at the foot not the leg, but it will true link into jab and light uptilt from around 20-30, but the combo counter will read it from around 0-40

Landing Nair -> far light ftilt
needs correct spacing at low percent, its easier to get at higher percent when nair sends them further away

Landing Fair -> upair -> upair -> dp/Tatsu
works from 0, after about 40 or so you can only get one upair

light uptilt -> nair
starts working around 40. you can do other aerials starting around 50

Late nair -> dair
works vs airborne opponents. You have to hit the nair late for it to work

Landing nair -> crossup fair -> uptilt

Light ftilt -> Reverse fair -> Upair -> Upair -> DP/Tatsu

light uptilt -> grab

You didnt include any throw followups either.

Downthrow
->hard jab
->up air
->Nair

Will all true combo depending on di and percent

Also there is no reason to FADC after Med dtilt or hard jab. Doing an FADC actually adds takes longer than just waiting for the move to end.

You should also add tatsu in for finishers for more of these. Using tatsu is better than dp at low percent because you want to avoid staling your main kill move.

Some example strings

Landing nair -> L up tilt -> Close L ftilt -> H Tatsu

Landing nair -> Cross up Fair-> L up tilt -> DP

Landing Fair -> Landing up air -> Late nair -> Nair -> Tatsu

Landing Nair -> Far light ftilt -> Falling up air -> Dair

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102

does about 40 and works from 0-50 or so. You need to dash forward before the dair at mid late percent

the only ftilt hitbox that combos is the one at the foot not the leg, but it will true link into jab and light uptilt from around 20-30, but the combo counter will read it from around 0-40

needs correct spacing at low percent, its easier to get at higher percent when nair sends them further away

light uptilt -> nair

Late nair -> dair

light uptilt -> grab

Downthrow
->hard jab
->up air
->Nair

Also there is no reason to FADC after Med dtilt or hard jab. Doing an FADC actually adds takes longer than just waiting for the move to end.

You should also add tatsu in for finishers for more of these. Using tatsu is better than dp at low percent because you want to avoid staling your main kill move.

Some example strings

Thanks so much. I’ll be sure to look at all those. I remembered the other day that I forgot the few Throw follow-up, but I forgot to add them in.

Last edited:

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102

light uptilt -> nair

Late nair -> dair

light uptilt -> grab

Downthrow
->hard jab
->up air
->Nair

Some example strings

So Redcometchar I had a good look at all you sent me and made some changes to the guide. Some of the combos you suggested seemed quite impractical or character dependent though. One combo you mentioned I was never able to get working like you suggested. It was the F-air>U-air>U-air>Shoryu one. As you stated, it should work at 0-40% but when I was testing, the opponent could jump or air dodge out between U-airs. Are you certain that you’re talking about Ultimate Ryu? I ask this since smash 4 Ryu could do things more like that. At least just from the top of my head. To add to that, when you got to the mid percents, you can’t even reach them after the F-air.
The last 2 of the 4 strings you ended with hardly made sense to me as well.
About the FADC, yes, by the time you can act out of a heavy up tilt in both scenarios, not using a FADC may be slightly less lag, but the purpose is to get that dash. If you use M-Utilt as an anti-air, the dash from the FADC can get you in better position (under the opponent) to proceed with another possibly.
If i’m misunderstanding on any of this let me know.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
...One combo you mentioned I was never able to get working like you suggested. It was the F-air>U-air>U-air>Shoryu one. As you stated, it should work at 0-40% but when I was testing, the opponent could jump or air dodge out between U-airs. Are you certain that you’re talking about Ultimate Ryu? I ask this since smash 4 Ryu could do things more like that. At least just from the top of my head. To add to that, when you got to the mid percents, you can’t even reach them after the F-air.
The last 2 of the 4 strings you ended with hardly made sense to me as well.
The double up air at low percent is pretty tricky, you have to hit the first one as you fall or it wont combo. I can post something here later. The late nair stuff is pretty finicky too so ill include it.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102

Sushiou

Smash Rookie
I was wondering what the no KB u-tilt was, then i found out it's heavy jab when close, not sure if that's mentioned anywhere

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
I was wondering what the no KB u-tilt was, then i found out it's heavy jab when close, not sure if that's mentioned anywhere
Yes, it’s just medium jab up close. Sorry about that. I’ll add that under the terms section.

javier2020

Smash Rookie
"*FA > Dash Cancel Forward > D-air > M-Utilt (No Knockback Version) > Shoryuken/Tatsumaki [Most devastating combo from a FA, but it’s not that reliable in an actual match."

Why not ? It is a kill confirm around 65%+

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
"*FA > Dash Cancel Forward > D-air > M-Utilt (No Knockback Version) > Shoryuken/Tatsumaki [Most devastating combo from a FA, but it’s not that reliable in an actual match."

Why not ? It is a kill confirm around 65%+
It’s true, but only for the weak hit of shoryu as far as I know. Due to SDI, the opponent simply can slip out of the sweet spot. If your opponent doesn’t SDI, by all means, go ahead. On the competitive level though, it’s just unrealistic. You want a more practical combo which’ll guarantee a sweet spot shoryuken.

Last edited:

HolyRocker

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the combo list. It has helped me become a way better Ryu player but I don't really know why reverse back airs are a good combo trick. I just run up to my opponent, jump over him and bair him in the face. I just want to know if it is a skill worth learning in order to up my game. I have also came up with a combo that seems to work around 100%.

light ftilt>run forward> dair

It seems to work rather well for a spike combo and I think that it is true.

Top Bottom