• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The RPG Thread.

DO YOU LIKE RPGS?

• HELL YEAH

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • YES MAN DAMMIT

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Of course.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • You're not my mom you can't tell me what to do

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
So, given that a lot of Shulk mains might be playing him due to being Xenoblade fans, I figured this character forum was a good place to start a RPG game discussion thread.

Come here if you want to hear about good RPGs, to recommend RPGs to others or just to share your love of your favorite role-playing games! Of course, this isn't only limited to video games, tabletop games count too! After all, we wouldn't have the video game RPG genre if it wasn't for our beloved pen & paper counterparts :).

As for me, I love the Mother series (Earthbound), the older Final Fantasies and more recently Etrian Odyssey for 3DS. Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore are also great, and lately I've been obsessed by Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, although I dunno if that counts cause it's mainly a music game.

Talking about tabletop games, and being a long time player myself, I've also gotten into Dungeons and Dragons (3.5 and 4e), Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings and FATE among others.

So, let it roll! Feed me with great RPG recommendations! :D

Heropon Riki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
atlantis24
3DS FC
4725-8178-7452
I'd really recommend the Kingdom Hearts series, it has amazing music and extremely fun gameplay in battles. Also, there is the Mario and Luigi series and Bravely Default. If you like music, Bravely Default's ost must be listened to. It is a spiritual successor to the older Final Fantasies, so you may be interested in it.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Oh, yeah, my boyfriend loved Bravely Default, and I sort of intend to give it a try but I can't get over the interface design. It's just so ugly :(. And me being a graphic artist makes it impossible to ignore. I only played through Kingdom Hearts and never got II and the rest, but I can 100% agree that the music is beautiful. Yoko Shimomura is a f-ing genius. She did participate in the soundtrack for Xenoblade too! And aaalso in one of my favorite RPGs ever which I forgot to mention in my initial post: Super Mario RPG <3.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I feel like I should get into RPGs more often. It's one of my favorite video game genres and I really only played Pokemon, Paper Mario, and the Mario & Luigi series.

Oh yeah also recommend Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It's a good classic for Gamecube games.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'd like to recommend Final Fantasies 9 and 10. 9 is just a wonderfully fantasy world that feels like a throwback to the older games, and 10 (especially the HD remake) is absolutely gorgeous, has some of the best music in the series, and does some really cool mechanics things, what with being able to swap people/gear midfight and the whole Sphere Grid concept.

My only big problem with 10 was the battle music was both unpleasant and catchy, and I ended up sitting through ~50 hours of that.

Regarding KH, I'm thinking about grabbing it sometime after Christmas, depending on how much money I've got at the time. Oh, speaking of things on my potential 'to buy' list, does anyone have any opinion about Persona Q? I mean... I like Etrian Odyssey and I like Persona, so it seems like a no-brainer, but I'd like to get some input before going out and grabbing it.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I'd like to recommend Final Fantasies 9 and 10. 9 is just a wonderfully fantasy world that feels like a throwback to the older games, and 10 (especially the HD remake) is absolutely gorgeous, has some of the best music in the series, and does some really cool mechanics things, what with being able to swap people/gear midfight and the whole Sphere Grid concept.

My only big problem with 10 was the battle music was both unpleasant and catchy, and I ended up sitting through ~50 hours of that.
Super agree on X. I haven't played IX, but X was my first Final Fantasy (yeah I know) and it has some of the most beautiful world design in any FF game, and the music is IMO the best in the series too. It also has some of the best female characters if we don't count X-2!!

But yeah that horrible battle theme. Then again, that awesome final battle theme~ <3

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
That growling, manly version of Otherworld made doing that stupid 'go around and pick up the items' bit before it completely worth it.

X-2 is actually on my list right after Etrian Odyssey Untold. I was going to take a long-ish break between FF games, but the post-credits bit of FFX (and Eternal Calm) intrigued me.

i_am_seed

Smash Rookie
NNID
i.am.seed
3DS FC
1220-6674-0064
You mentioned older final fantasies but didn't mention Chrono Trigger? It's on 3 systems now (stay away from PS version) and carries one of the best soundtracks of all time. It'll be worth every penny and second you invest in it.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Stay away from the DS version, too, arguably. (I'm personally fond of the SNES translation, and the whole shoehorned minigames and sidequests in the DS one were actually a detriment to the game)

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Dragon quest 8.It can take 200ish hours if you try to do everything.I have played this 10 times or something like that and the main story can take 60-100 hours and post game is like another 30 if you grind a bit.It has a lot of custimaization for your characters.Year:2004 on PS2 and Mobile.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Fable II is a good game - would recommend that to anyone that has not played it.

One of these days I need to get around to replaying Shining Force II which I played when I was like 9. I have a great opinion about the game but I don't know how much of that is nostalgia speaking.

Anyways, I'm about 10 hours into Xenosage episode 1 right now. So far it's pretty good.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
You mentioned older final fantasies but didn't mention Chrono Trigger? It's on 3 systems now (stay away from PS version) and carries one of the best soundtracks of all time. It'll be worth every penny and second you invest in it.
I totally played Chrono Trigger too! I just forgot a lot of games because I'm stupid, and it's like when people ask something like "WHAT BOOKS HAVE YOU READ?" and you're like **** I know the answer to this.

That growling, manly version of Otherworld made doing that stupid 'go around and pick up the items' bit before it completely worth it.

X-2 is actually on my list right after Etrian Odyssey Untold. I was going to take a long-ish break between FF games, but the post-credits bit of FFX (and Eternal Calm) intrigued me.
X-2 is actually a ver fun game gameplay wise. It's actually got what I think is the best battle system a FF has ever had. The story, however, is terrible, and it's incredibly detrimental to what the female characters of X had built up by then.

I didn't play Etrian Odyssey Untold, but according to the boyfriendo the story is pretty lame and cliche hahaha. Then again, you can always skip the story mode and just play in classic like an EO game should be played <3.

Last edited:
I'll resist being lame for once

For this year, Bravely Default was amaaaaazing. Can't wait for Bravely Second

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
The Fire Emblem games are great, especially the GBA ones. As for 3DS RPG's, Bravely Default, Kingdom Hearts, Project X Zone, and Shin Megami Tensei 4 (I need to get back to this one)

I've also started playing Xenogears. Fighting as a giant mech is every person's dream.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
I just remembered another GREAT RPG for the 3DS. It's an e-shop title called Crimson Shroud. It's basically a tabletop story made as a video game, you get to roll dice and the characters are even figurines. It's SO GOOOOD. Although I haven't heard anyone say they like tabletop games :(

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
The Ys games are some of my favorite action RPG's out there.
Seriously, Ys needs some love, get oath in felghana or Ys origins on steam, it's well worth it.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I think pretty much anything goes, system-wise. I remember talking about Final Fantasy 9 here a while back.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I just remembered another GREAT RPG for the 3DS. It's an e-shop title called Crimson Shroud. It's basically a tabletop story made as a video game, you get to roll dice and the characters are even figurines. It's SO GOOOOD. Although I haven't heard anyone say they like tabletop games :(
I actually have that, and to be frank I find it boring.

I think it doesn't help that there is barely interaction with the game and there isn't any fancy visuals or top notch music to compensate, so it feels very stagnated.

Top Bottom