• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Treatment Results

Scatz

Smash Champion
http://smashboards.com/…/the-royal-treatment-melee-to…/event
Melee Results (98 Entrants):
1) SS| Nicaboy
2) SS| S0ft
3) Pengie
4) SS| Flaminroy
5) SS| Flow
5) Tubesssmb
7) DashDanceDan
7) Carter
9) Esperanto
9) SS | Fullmetal
9) HBA | Gohan
9) MahouManSamLoweLoveYou
13) Gas$
13) Zylo
13) Dbag
13) Omega
17) Cookie
17) Katharsis
17) Moonshine
17) Yort
17) Locke Robster
17) Power
17) Snap
17) Zoma
25) NinKenDo64
25) Shenanigans
25) SmashingTurnips
25) Subterfuge
25) ChrisM
25) Dingo
25) Jimb0
25) Kip
41) Cloud
41) Destin
41) DRy
41) Karma
41) Rhymes With Stomach
41) Smoof
41) TGK
41) ZAH
41) Amazon
41) CH | breadsticks
41) Chaos Dunk
41) DANK
41) Fop
41) Jet
41) Just Andrew
41) Up-C
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBM_Singles_Top8
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBM_Singles_Group1
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBM_Singles_Group2

http://smashboards.com/…/the-royal-treament-wiiu-top-…/event
Smash 4 Results (78 Entrants):
1) TheReflexWonder
2) Fatality
3) ScAtt
4) Gadiel_VaStar
5) Player-1
5) Virgo G
7) Kismet
7) SWS | Auroura
9) Neos
9) P2W Doom Bot
9) Player-3
9) SWS | Limbs
13) Apostle
13) MilesG2G
13) SWS | Flea
13) wv kodystri
17) Justice
17) katsrkool
17) Mikalott
17) Ojama
17) Real
17) SWS | Angelo
17) Teh Umby
17) VILLN
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBWiiU_Singles_Top24

http://smashboards.com/…/the-royal-treatment-pm-top-4…/event
PM Results (98 Entrants):
1/2) SWS | Fatality
1/2) TheReflexWonder
3) ChipGroove
4) Player-3
5) Kip
5) SS | S0ft
7) DruggedFox
7) SS | FlaminRoy
9) Karma
9) Shoto
9) Anime
9) E2xD
13) Ark
13) Dingo
13) SS | Nicaboy
13) Zoma
17) DRy
17) Garr
17) NinKenDo64
17) steste
17) Jimb0
17) Karma The Sage
17) Player-1
17) Shenanigans
25) HBA | Gohan
25) Ice Effect
25) Veishi
25) Waug
25) Gadiel_VaStar
25) Jake the Preacher
25) Nevermind
25) Yort
41) BunnE
41) Chaos Dunk
41) Hook
41) Katharsis
41) Pixel
41) Scatz
41) Smoof
41) Title
41) BoVeZ
41) EoH | TimepilotChkn
41) Gig
41) JRAY
41) Ojama
41) power
41) tiky
41) Zylo
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBPM_Singles_Top8
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBPM_Singles_Group1
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBPM_Singles_Group2

Melee Doubles Results (18 entrants):
1) SS | Merc & SS FlaminRoy
2) DruggedFox & Pengie
3) SS | FullMetal & SS | Nicaboy
4) Zylo & Zoma
5) SS | Soft & SS | Flow
5) Same Lowe & Moonshine
7) Locke Robster & Katharsis
7) Smoof & ZAH
9) Bravo & CH | Breadsticks
9) Hook & Jimb0
9) Korean Panda & NinKenDo64
9) mouse shampoo & Yort
13) A$AP ANDY & Rhymes With Stomach
13) Pipes & IAMLINK
13) Player-3 & SWS | Angelo
13) SmashingTurnips & Chaos Dunk
17) Cor & Shoto
17) Doc Brown & Soap
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBM_Doubles

PM doubles Results (20 entrants):
1/2) SS |S0ft & SS | Flow
1/2) SWS | Fatality & SS | Nicaboy
3-6) Dingo & Kip
3-6) DruggedFox & SS | FlaminRoy
3-6) Player-1 & TheReflexWonder
3-6) Player-3 & E2xD
7) Shenanigans & Zoma
7) Zylo & Jimb0
9) Ark & power
9) ChipGroove & Scatz
9) Gig & BunnE
9) SWS | Angelo & Gadiel_VaStar
13) Jake the Preacher & NinKenDo64
13) Karma The Sage & SmashingTurnips
13) Ojama & Kismet
13) Opti & tiky
17) Mannywing & Harlet
17) pwcca & Xenth
17) TWSIP & Chorl
17) Walnut & Skinny
http://georgiasmash.challonge.com/TRT1_SSBPM_Doubles

PM Singles & PM Doubles were split due to time.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I'm going to write up a little personal review of my event experience. I'll start off with the cons because I think those are more imperative to address/correct.

Cons:

- Timeliness: The event started off on a bad foot. I don't think the first pool matches for Melee or Project M were called until 1:30, and it took even longer for some of the other pools in Wave 1 to start. This is something that I think can only be corrected through planning, prediction, and experience, so it's not something that I would significantly knock the TO staff for.
- The Venue: It was incredibly cramped in there. It just did not feel suited for 150 people. It got a little hot, but opening the doors did helped significantly. Additionally, there was a venue fee that I was not made aware of prior to the event. I believe that I read on the event page that there was no venue fee, but upon arriving I was told it was $5. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but it's not something I would expect out of a regional tournament. I may, of course, also be incorrect about seeing that there was no venue fee.
- Setups: I feel like there were enough setups to run this event efficiently. However, they were poorly labeled, and before bracket started, I don't think they were labeled at all. This bring up another point: calling matches. Traditionally at larger tournaments, I've expected to be told my opponent and a setup to play at. However, for much of this tournament, I was told my opponents name and instructed to find a place to play. We did not have nametags, and it was loud and crowded. This made it increasingly difficult to actually coordinate my match, and I had several occasions where I wandered around the TO station looking for my opponent.
- Top Player Privilege: I only had this happen to me once in my brackets, so I cannot assume that this happened at any other points in the tournament; however, I still think it should be addressed. For my first Melee Doubles Match, one of my first round opponents had not shown up to the venue. Keep in mind that, at this point, doubles was already starting about 2 hours behind. I talked to his teammate, and he said that he would be there in about 20-30 minutes. He was right - it was about 30 minutes before we started playing. They told the TO's this, and they were fine with it. The TO's told everyone else during the tournament that if they did not report to their match in 10 minutes, they would forfeit. However, this was different for SS | Merck and SS | Flaming Roy. I cannot reasonably assume that they were given an extension because they were top players (and additionally, SS players), but I feel that if this had been a situation between Bluemarth11 and Kirby Prince 492, they would have had to forfeit.
- Doubles Scheduling: Doubles did not seem to be planned out at all. By 9:30 PM, I had played 2 PM Doubles matches. My partner and I were hungry, so we decided eh, let's just forfeit. That was our decision, but I do feel like had these events been better planned, we would not have felt it was more worth it for us to drop out and go get McDonalds than to wait for our next match to be called (however long that might have been).
- No-Shows: With a pre-reg that did not charge money, it was evident that there would be people that did not show up. However, the TO staff did not seem prepared for this, and in a facebook comment before the event, they seemed like they specifically chose not to prepare for this (likely) scenario. This lead to some pools have 3 people, and all 3 of them made it out. Some pools had 6 people. Some pools were incredibly stacked, and others had maybe 1 player who consistently l-cancelled. I believe that this disparity could have been rectified by allowing late entrants to take the place of players who did not show up. However, that's just an idea, and I'm sure there are many solutions to this problem. It is, however, a problem that needs to be addressed for future events.

Pros:
- My teammate and I beat Soft and Flow in Melee Doubles, so I guess that's the highlight of my Smash career up until this point.
- The TO staff was incredibly friendly. Despite how stressed out and busy they very clearly were, I had nothing but positive exchanges with them for the entirety of the event. They were obviously working very hard to make this tournament a success.
- In my experience, pool captains did a very good job once the pool actually got started.
- The concession stand was pretty clutch. I asked one of the vendors if they had any coffee, and he specifically found a coffee machine at the church, made me a cup, and later found me in the middle of the event to bring me another one on the house. So shout-outs to them for being awesome.
- The event finished on time, despite my pessimistic estimates that it would go until 4 AM due to the tournament starting so late.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
For the no venue fee thing, you could have been confused with DGR next weekend, which does have no venue fee

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Thanks for the feedback. This is great information for us to use to better prepare for the next event.

The event starting late was entirely my fault (no one else on the staff to blame). Once I could finally get the event started, a 2 hour hole made things next to impossible to correct. Even while I was rushing around to attempt to get things back on track, events were started without my approval, which ended having events off sync to avoid bottlenecks. This was the biggest problem towards the timeliness.

The Venue fee was listed on the event page and on the smashboards page from the beginning.

I was not aware of the top player privilege that happened. I'll definitely bring this up with the rest of the staff as communication must have not been entirely clear, and make sure this doesn't happen again.

If I am hosting another event and you have any problems, come straight to me about them.

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
The most frustrating thing was being told someone's tag and being expected to find that person in a room of 150 people. I'm sure it created a lot of inefficiencies.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
If there is one suggestion I'd like to make with regards to tournament structure, it's that losses should carry over when pools are double elimination.

For Smash 4, pools were DE instead of RR, but top 3 still advanced, and losses were reset. This led to a top 24 with 46 required matches for the finals bracket. Having losses carry over, advancing top 2 instead (winners bracket qualifier + losers bracket qualifier), and thinning the ranks to top 16 in pools would have led to only 22 required matches in the finals bracket, which I think could have helped things move along a little more smoothly at the end. Resetting the losses also effectively made it a "triple elimination" tournament for some participants and not others; it's not that big of a deal (losers bracket qualifiers ended up having to play one extra round compared to the others anyway), but I think that's something you kind of want to avoid.

Also, while it's advisable to keep round robin pools to 8 players or less, that's arguably too small for a double elimination pool. I think 9 to 16 players should be the target number for a DE pool if possible so that you can reduce the chances of double jeopardy and better ensure that the qualifiers to the finals bracket are skilled enough to earn that placing. Even if this meant that you only had 4 pools total, that would still give you a top 8 for the finals bracket, and that's actually the perfect bracket size for a finals bracket because there's usually plenty of time to stream every match of a top 8.

On the topic of streaming, I think there should be an effort made to stream at least winners finals and losers finals of every pool (when the pools are DE, of course). Several pools went by without having any of their matches streamed at all. That's not exactly a bad thing; it's pretty good that pools were moving along that swiftly after the late start, actually. It's just something I'd keep in mind for the future.

The point made above about pre-reg is pretty good as well. Free pre-reg probably leads to more no-shows and byes in the brackets than you'd ideally want to have. Maybe you should either only allow pre-reg if people also prepay, or you should hold off on making the brackets until after people check-in when they're actually at the tournament. I'm not sure how practical that would be, though, considering that you were already so pressed for time on handling registration as-is.

Quads seems to be something that is only practical to run if you can prioritize it over all other concurrent events. When several players are required for a single match, then you need to make sure that they're all available for that match as quickly as possible so that the others don't have to keep waiting. That's true of teams in general, but it's especially true when a single match requires 8 players at once.

I also think that we should square away customs preparation and some of the finer points of the ruleset further in advance next time.

Logistical growing pains aside, though, I thought the event ran really well and was glad to be there. I've posted several of the matches from the Smash 4 stream on Youtube already, including the entirety of the top 24. I'm working on the rest of the pools matches right now.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions about the Smash 4 stream, I'd love to hear them.

I was also the person who provided the setup for the Melee stream (CRT monitor + video equipment), for the record.

EDIT: Actually, I do want to make a remark on how good the venue's internet connection was. It's rare that I actually have enough bandwidth to handle a decent 720p stream, so that was very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
- Top Player Privilege: I only had this happen to me once in my brackets, so I cannot assume that this happened at any other points in the tournament; however, I still think it should be addressed. For my first Melee Doubles Match, one of my first round opponents had not shown up to the venue. Keep in mind that, at this point, doubles was already starting about 2 hours behind. I talked to his teammate, and he said that he would be there in about 20-30 minutes. He was right - it was about 30 minutes before we started playing. They told the TO's this, and they were fine with it. The TO's told everyone else during the tournament that if they did not report to their match in 10 minutes, they would forfeit. However, this was different for SS | Merck and SS | Flaming Roy. I cannot reasonably assume that they were given an extension because they were top players (and additionally, SS players), but I feel that if this had been a situation between Bluemarth11 and Kirby Prince 492, they would have had to forfeit.
I understand what you're saying here but I talked with the TO and every other team was there. So we came to the conclusion that if every other match finished before and we started holding up the bracket, we'd instantly be DQed. I've done this before for lower level players at other events including Olympus where I was a pool captain and it's common practice that if it doesn't hold up bracket it shouldn't be a problem to wait until it's made a problem.

Top Bottom