• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roy "Gameplan?"

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to create this thread to try to get a more direct response about what the general gameplan is for Roy in PM. In general it would seem to space a d-tilt, get a grab, or CC into w/e punish fits the situation. Was hoping some more experienced players could give me a decent idea of what to do from neutral, and figure out what openings to make, or look for with roy. Anything to start off would be appreciated!

Taytertot

Smash Ace
my personal idea on roy's neutral is that roy needs to use DD, CC dtilt and tipper ftilt/fair/nair to poke at his opponent and try to mess with their positioning so that roy can start putting more pressure on. ideally continuing that until hes got them cornered where he can more easily force situations where he can safely apply pressure with the meaty hitboxes hes got.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I can see how that'd be a good way to go. The neutral game for fire emblem characters has always been kinda weird for me, because it seems like they excel off of regrabs, and tech reads/punishes. other than that it all seems like a spacing bait/punish game is the overall theme here.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I can see how that'd be a good way to go. The neutral game for fire emblem characters has always been kinda weird for me, because it seems like they excel off of regrabs, and tech reads/punishes. other than that it all seems like a spacing bait/punish game is the overall theme here.
true. the main reason that they are DD characters is because their range and combos make a very large threat zone and DDing allows them to impose that threat zone without committing to an attack since their attacks are fairly committal. this also adds to roy's ability to force bad options in hopes to start heavy combos or force his opponent to the ledge where roy can box them out and easily find sweetspots/once hes got them to the ledge use DDing to find a sweetspot.
https://youtu.be/Hg7a9gGSS_c?t=5m37s

i would add to roys neutral game that CCing is really strong as long as you dont overuse it. idk if its quite as useful a tool for marth.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I'd agree that its a stable option for marth, but not quite as strong because his CC dtilt doesn't lead to combos as much as it leads to a situational "get off me" tool.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
roys lowest commitment move, dtilt, also happens to be your most rewarding move. So yes, this is generally the crux of your gameplan. however, there are other moves to consider as well. ill discuss as follows:

since dtilt is has such a low commitment (hitbox on frame 8, FAF on 20) its very effective to utlized spaced dtilts that are littered throughout your DDing. grounded characters generally have a near impossible time punishing it, andif you connect, then you get great reward. The only time dtilt approaches usually get punished are when you have a character that can outspace you (DDD) or if they have solid, ranged CC moves (DK, Zard, etc.). additionally, comiting to an aerial approach will be able to combat dtilt approaches. You have two additional tools that will each combat the counterplay for one of those scenarios: roys side be is a quick, frame 6 move with an FAF of about 30 i believe. it has great coverage above and in front of him, which makes it amazing for combating aerial approaches, while also getting great reward out of (subsequent hits, grab, etc.). The other tool you have is your grab, which obviously will combat a CC heavy opponent, and again, high reward. dash attack also exists, but is generally easily combatted through CCing or shielding. its best used more sparingly because of its commitment. other tools that can be useful, but maybe not as rewarding, are jab, ftilt, and sometimes spaced aerial approaches (just depends on the relative safety of the approach depending on the MU).

to summarize:
-dtilt can beat shielding (-5 on shield) and ASDI CC (ususally used by opponents that are on the move, aka not stagnant and already crouching) if spaced properly. also is very favorable for pressure against DD heavy opponents. beaten by aerial approaches, or extreme ranged options
-side b can beat aerial approaches and shields (by properly spacing and varying sequence of your hits), but is heavily beat by CCing
-grab beats CCing, but is stuffed by ranged attacks or proper DD usage
-jab, ftilt, and dash attack will all lose to CC, but have niche uses in speed (jab) and ranged pokes (ftilt or dash attack)
-aerial approaches can beat projectiles, and shields if spaced, but lose to CC and DD

generally, characters with effective CC options that also outspace his grab range, or that can grab him within CC range, are the ones that beat roy. DK beats roy because of a great CC (heavy weight), and his neutral options are very effective at outspacing roys grab range (mainly dtilt). this allows DK much safety in focussing on CCing, and in turn getting a grab (he has a pretty good grab range), and thus heavily punishing you. he also will generally outlive you. This makes neutral hard for roy, as well as securing a stock, while he simultaneously has stocks taken pretty easily. Charizard is in a very similar boat as DK. DDD as well, but he just has many options that purely outspace roy, and his neutral game is largely air centered, not ground, which makes roy usually have to approach, and generally succumb to better disjoint on DDDs part. again, DDD lives forever, has a great gimp game, and roy is very fragile.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Hey, man. I'm glad you've garnered such an interest in our boy. I'm kinda busy right now, but if you add me on Skype or something, I'd be glad to discuss with you, all things Ph1r3y. Skype name: Matt.mccormick52. Oh, and if you play netplay, we can do some Roy dittos.

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I'd agree that its a stable option for marth, but not quite as strong because his CC dtilt doesn't lead to combos as much as it leads to a situational "get off me" tool.
i thought i remembered hearing that fastfall speed also played a role in what percents a character could still CC moves is that true or does that only effect asdi?

Tide

Smash Rookie
good information in this thread.

How does Roy's Dacus fare against CC?

Taytertot

Smash Ace
good information in this thread.

How does Roy's Dacus fare against CC?
you cant CC multihit moves like roy's usmash. some multihit moves can be asdi'd down to do a pseudo CC but the second hit that connects while your CCing will knock you out of true CC. roy's usmash is espcially hard to asdi so dacus would definitely beat CC assuming that you spaced it correctly. (i believe part of the reason roy's usmash is super hard to CC is because all of the hits for at least one of the hitboxes pulls down until the final hit. i think theyre considered weak meteors and iirc meteors cant be CC'd).

that being said i dont think that dacus is a great move to be using in neutral against CCing opponents because they could dtilt/dsmash you before you hit them. grab obviously is an ideal option given that roy is all about the DD game. roy's dtilt is pretty good on a lot of CCing opponents so its not a bad choice especially considering that its got very solid range.

Edit: As a side note im curious why the mu thread for roy has been so dead. ive posted the last 2 comments on it and i dont want to triple post. i do think that roy's general gameplan is a good thread to have but i also feel that it needs to progress/solidify roy's meta as a whole at the same time as the mu's so that any thoughts between the mu's and the general style(s) of roy dont differ to the point of opposing strategies or misinformation.

Last edited:

Angel_Boy

Smash Rookie
Keeping center stage, controlling the space around you to keep your opponent out and using DD to bait approaches and punish with D tilt and grab. Use grabs to set up into tech chases. Use his side b to beat out certain aerial approaches and hit an opponent coming out of shield (make sure to mix up your DED swings to make your opponent fear whether that 2nd or 3rd swing will actually come). Against floatier characters I generally try space them out with fairs and uairs and strike the second that creates an opening. Also use nair to control space and punish a spot dodge or an opponent trying to come out of shield or tech roll.
There's more I could say but I'm sleepy so another time

Top Bottom